ADVERTISEMENT

Hudson Clement, WV Redshirt Freshman, has historic 1st game

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
Some of you may recall a couple years ago when I asked if PSU had any interest in this kid from Martinsburg, WV. He had scored EIGHT TDs in the state championship game the year before as a wideout. Anyway, some of you interpreted this as suggesting PSU should have offered him a scholarship, and gave me the usual guff about how he wasn't listed on the recruiting services, blah, blah, blah.

Well, he finally got to play in WVU's game against Duquesne this past Saturday. RS Freshman. The first time he touched the ball? TD. 5 catches for 177 yds. THREE TDs.
https://apnews.com/article/west-vir...ineers-dukes-d880c6eefe4a040a2293e465e6bb3de1.
No idea how much he plays going forward, but I would call this a good start.

Last edited:
Some of you may recall a couple years ago when I asked if PSU had any interest in this kid from Martinsburg, WV. He had scored EIGHT TDs in the state championship game the year before as a wideout. Anyway, some of you interpreted this as suggesting PSU should have offered him a scholarship, and gave me the usual guff about how he wasn't listed on the recruiting services, blah, blah, blah.

Well, he finally got to play in WVU's game against Duquesne this past Saturday. RS Freshman. The first time he touched he ball? TD. 5 catches for 177 yds. THREE TDs.
https://apnews.com/article/west-vir...ineers-dukes-d880c6eefe4a040a2293e465e6bb3de1.

Brown put him on scholarship in the locker room post-game. Very cool.

I remember as well. Time will tell Duquesne was a lot like all of these teams the power 5 are playing first three or four weeks in the season. It's a great practice. But as far as the rating services go, particularly it was small school players that haven't paid for their contrived evaluation events, They don't need much. Hope the kid does great.

He played on special teams only against PSU. His dad told me that on PSU's second punt, he was the guy who got close to blocking it. I did not see that.

Reactions: step.eng69 and Fac

Well, he finally got to play in WVU's game against Duquesne this past Saturday. RS Freshman. The first time he touched the ball? TD. 5 catches for 177 yds. THREE TDs.
Yep, remember your comments. Great to see a kid exceed expectations and predictions.

Reactions: step.eng69

I remember. As I said back then, I'll say again - Penn State should never be in a position where it's trying to find diamonds in the rough who have zero scholarship offers in the last game of their senior year, to fill out a recruiting class. Wish the kid the best at WV.

Reactions: nitanee123
I remember. As I said back then, I'll say again - Penn State should never be in a position where it's trying to find diamonds in the rough who have zero scholarship offers in the last game of their senior year, to fill out a recruiting class. Wish the kid the best at WV.
Riiiight. Because nobody knows anything about football except recruiting F#cks. Got it. Same for the NFL? Because Sean Clifford would be in the Peace Corps. No one had him going in the draft.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69
The state of WV is good for about one or two good D-1 players per year, but it’s not always easy finding those kids. We did alright with Brenton Strange.

Reactions: demlion
I feel like the transfer portal has made it easier for FBS athletes to move around and a consequense is the gap between FBS and FCS has become wider as a result.... but that's really just anecdotal at this point.

Instead of Pat Devlin or Joe Flacco transferring to Delaware, another FBS school picks them up now.

Reactions: hlstone
Amazing. Franklin has done a great job identifying talent. I wonder if he ever reviewed this guys tape. Although the rankings are important there are some they miss on. We have family members - one of whom is a backup qb at cal and the other is committed to JMU. Imho both were rated significantly lower than they should be. Uva or va tech should be begging to get the JMU commit. Of course JMU is better than those two programs right now…

If he has a great year, he can ride the portal to Happy Valley for next year.
Why should he? He is playing now and will likely play a ton. Why go where his playing time will be cut?

He is the Big 12 where he will be facing quality talent so he can show what he can do. Not like a subdivision school.

And most important, he is playing for his home school that gave him a chance. Stay with the one that brought you to the dance.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Why should he? He is playing now and will likely play a ton. Why go where his playing time will be cut?

He is the Big 12 where he will be facing quality talent so he can show what he can do. Not like a subdivision school.

And most important, he is playing for his home school that gave him a chance. Stay with the one that brought you to the dance.
Because they may have a different coach than the one that recruited him…that changes things.

Riiiight. Because nobody knows anything about football except recruiting F#cks. Got it. Same for the NFL? Because Sean Clifford would be in the Peace Corps. No one had him going in the draft.
you may want to reread my post and think about your reply. You missed something very big

The state of WV is good for about one or two good D-1 players per year, but it’s not always easy finding those kids. We did alright with Brenton Strange.
agreed....and Strange wasn't a kid with zero D1 offers in the final game of his senior year

Amazing. Franklin has done a great job identifying talent. I wonder if he ever reviewed this guys tape. Although the rankings are important there are some they miss on. We have family members - one of whom is a backup qb at cal and the other is committed to JMU. Imho both were rated significantly lower than they should be. Uva or va tech should be begging to get the JMU commit. Of course JMU is better than those two programs right now…
Perhaps when you don’t offer it isn't because a kid doesn't have talent or potential. It could be as simple as you believe you have a commit that you think I'd better. Your numbers are limited, you know?

Reactions: AnotherNovaLion
Perhaps when you don’t offer it isn't because a kid doesn't have talent or potential. It could be as simple as you believe you have a commit that you think I'd better. Your numbers are limited, you know?
I 100 percent agree - although I am skeptical uva or va tech has a better qb recruit….

Apparently he’s going to start against Pitt.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Can you imagine waking up every Sunday and googling the stats of Hudson Clement because you decided to die on very small hill 2 years ago?
Go ahead and list the PSU RS freshmen who are leading the nation in any category right now.

Go ahead and list the PSU RS freshmen who are leading the nation in any category right now.
I can list 100 that are doing better against FBS competition. He had a big day against Duquesne. Many high school kids could do that let alone college sophomores.

PSU has 100 redshirt freshmen wideouts?
He wouldn't even be on our roster. I said I can list 100 doing better not at Penn State
He's not a good WR--he beat up Duquesne. Accept that. You can be wrong--we all know you are.

I'm pretty sure Clifford led the nation in 3rd down targets between 3.5-5.5yds in the month of Sept.
Also, what does the PSU WR room have to do with your obsession over young Mr Clement?

Still dying on the Hudson Clement hill, huh? I truly don't understand your obsession.
Look in a mirror. The kid is obviously a great athlete and it’s a revealing story. Overlooked by all the “experts” he’s given a shot by the hometown team and is well on his way to making it pay off big time. Makes you wonder, why would anyone be reluctant to acknowledge the obvious?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT