ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about Pitt to the Big Ten?

It would cause a huge stir especially here in Pittsburgh where we remain their # 1 rival.

Pitt athletics have improved but are not on our level and the know that. Admit them and we open the door for improvement and legitimacy.

Nothing personal to their athletes but their fan base can piss off. I have no time for them. Pitt burned their bridge with Paterno and I have no sympathy whatsoever. Let them find their own way, PSU should not help and support them.
Here’s a bold prediction I could see taking place in the not-so-distant future:

Disney has about $10B in liquid assets but $94B in debt. Let’s say they spin off ESPN and even ABC. Does the new owner of the “Worldwide Leader” have the cash or even wish to fulfill obligations for the contracts with the SEC, ACC, etc.? If not, the Big Ten suddenly has a huge financial advantage over the SEC.

In that case, would the SEC’s “elite” schools come to the table to form the speculated ‘super league?’ I can see a scenario where 24-30 schools form a Premier League-esque football conference while the other athletic programs return to regional conferences. For example, Penn State could play the likes of Alabama, Texas, and Notre Dame in football while playing Pitt, Syracuse, Villanova, and WVU in other sports.

It ensures everyone doesn’t get left behind while giving the biggest football programs what they desire: more money. No longer would they have to share it with the Rutgers (no offense, Al) and Vanderbilts of the world.

BS Pitt’s program is far better than those. No where near a consistent top 25 team but not that low. And the overall sports program has made some solid gains.

They certainly are not a B2G program but not as low as those.
LemonDrops is a little stale for my liking. You think we’re a MAC program, we get it. I miss posters like MikeMauti and FairGambit. At least they were fun to banter with and weren’t a one-trick pony.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Shouldn't the Pitt losers be banned? They pretty much ban all psu fans.
I casually post on a few other non-Pitt boards (national board, UCF, Duke, etc.) and the Penn State board is the only one that gives me grief. What gives?

But speaking of the national board, we lack Penn State posters on there at the moment. We had a few good ones in the past like PSUte and PSU1985. You and any other Nittany Nation poster are more than welcomed to join us on there leading up to the fall season. :)

I see no upside and a ton of downside with helping Pitt. Let’s let them continue to do well in men’s basketball while we continue to dominate everything else.

I casually post on a few other non-Pitt boards (national board, UCF, Duke, etc.) and the Penn State board is the only one that gives me grief. What gives?

But speaking of the national board, we lack Penn State posters on there at the moment. We had a few good ones in the past like PSUte and PSU1985. You and any other Nittany Nation poster are more than welcomed to join us on there leading up to the fall season. :)
You lack Penn state posters because you ban them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeatherHelmets
It would cause a huge stir especially here in Pittsburgh where we remain their # 1 rival.

Pitt athletics have improved but are not on our level and the know that. Admit them and we open the door for improvement and legitimacy.

Nothing personal to their athletes but their fan base can piss off. I have no time for them. Pitt burned their bridge with Paterno and I have no sympathy whatsoever. Let them find their own way, PSU should not help and support them.
A-fning-men!

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I don't see the benefit.

College football has become a game of eyes. In other words, streaming services want to see how many people watch. The region is covered by PSU, MD, and even WVu. Pitt only averages 40k to 50 fans per game and that includes some marquee matchups. I don't see the lift that a conference would get.

In addition, one has to consider opportunity costs or "next best opportunity". Taking Pitt could easily cause the conference to miss out on taking other regional teams which would be more impactful. VT, Duke, NC, NC St, Clemson would all be much better options for the B1G as it covers virgin ground and has better optics.

You lack Penn state posters because you ban them all.
I was referring to the national board, not the PantherLair. All posters (and schools) are welcome, and we’ve had many great Penn State posters on there throughout the years, including the legendary Nitt.

We have quite a few B1G posters, so it could make for good discussion from the PSU perspective.

If Pitt wasnt considered when the B1G added Rutgers, im not sure why they would be considered now. There were not any solid rumors that they were under any serious consideration. Just kind of a whose available discussion that probably ended shortly after.

If the recruiting grounds in Western PA were still top notch then it would be different. I think that was at least part of Rutgers and UM's appeal. But that part of the state has really declined in the amount of P5 talent they put out every year.

Being em in and play them the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Boom instant revived awesome rivalry. Penn St. is the only so called big time program I know without a rival. It's crazy and let's stop the infantile "they dont do anything for us". PENN STATE HAS NOT WON A NATIONAL TITLE IN
OVER 35 YEARS. Let's stop acting like they have won multiple.

We don't need to let them in the conference to give them a beating once in a while. Give them nothing.

51-6. H2PSU
Pathetic that Penn State has no rival. It's a minus for the program. Too many egos in the 1980's and early 90's screwed this up. Joe was pissed about an Eastern conference and took his ball and went home. Now no big end of the year game.
Way to go. We showed em.
Can't wait to see the ugliest Trophy in sports presented to the winner.

Pathetic that Penn State has no rival. It's a minus for the program. Too many egos in the 1980's and early 90's screwed this up. Joe was pissed about an Eastern conference and took his ball and went home. Now no big end of the year game.
Way to go. We showed em.

Like I said, we dont have to have them in the conference to give them a beating. You happy now?

Reactions: joeaubie21
Like I said, we dont have to have them in the conference to give them a beating. You happy now?
"We". How many kickoffs have you run down on. Lol. The guys that love the housing project trophy can get excited about that I guess. If they join the conference your petty grievances will have no weight. Hold on a minute I have to help them put that Trophy on the flatbed. Ha. Alright back now. Stop acting like Penn State has "snobbing" rights. It's been close to four decades since Penn State has been a consistent contender. Put your feet back on the ground.

Way to go. We showed em.
🥱

• Wow
Reactions: jacksondomer
Reactions: LMTLION
We don't need pitiful PiT. Have the lies, filth, attempted denigration, bs on Penn Live that continued for years, death threats, the horse crap that continues even now, has it been forgotten?

The hell with Pitt, we don't need this ignorant garbage to start all over again. Let their boorish fans wallow in a commode of their own making.

Travel back in time to the year 1995 and ask this question: Which school is more likely to one day join the B1G; Pitt or USC?

Prior To Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, going back, Pitt was more likely.

It was the explosion in media rights fees, and the disparity of the distribution of them between conferences, which made these latest moves, such as USC to the Big Ten feasible. My reaction to USC joining was, “wow, that makes sense”. It wasn’t as big a surprise.

Prior To Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, going back, Pitt was more likely.

It was the explosion in media rights fees, and the disparity of the distribution of them between conferences, which made these latest moves, such as USC to the Big Ten feasible. My reaction to USC joining was, “wow, that makes sense”. It wasn’t as big a surprise.

PiT brings nothing to anyones table.

Except the smell of shit.

• Love
Reactions: jacksondomer
Boom instant revived awesome rivalry. Penn St. is the only so called big time program I know without a rival. It's crazy and let's stop the infantile "they dont do anything for us". PENN STATE HAS NOT WON A NATIONAL TITLE IN

I'd be ok with playing Pitt every year, assuming they are willing to play 2 games in State College for each game played in Pittsburgh.

We often used this arrangement with Temple.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HailToPitt725
In a go big or go home scenario, I have no issue with Pitt joining the Big Ten. We need another Indiana to balance out Washington. However, we must tie admission to a new stadium. If they don't build it, they don't join.
That's a good point on the new stadium. Personally, since I moved away several years ago that so called rivalry has long been in my rearview mirror

Last edited:
Lions should v Panthers every September as a non con game.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

Lions should v Panthers every September as a non con game.

defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png
Funny seeing you here! It’s a futile effort convincing this board of that, though. ;)

Best of luck to your Wildcats in 2023. I plan on seeing KSU play twice in person this season- in Columbia against Mizzou and in Manhattan against UCF. I’m confident Gene and Coach Klieman can keep the train rolling.

Last edited:
Play Temple the Friday after Thanksgiving. BOOM instant rival. Being from SEPA you should love it. 70s are gone. Let it go. Rotate the old Eastern rivals in the schedule occasionally.

There are several other schools that are in line before Pitt. They'll never be in the B1G. The 3 most logical are ND, Oregon and Washington.

Oregon and Washington gives the conference two more West Coast teams and provides USC and UCLA with regional travelling options and pulls in the Seattle and Portland markets.

And ND ? Well, Notre Dame is Notre Dame - simply the biggest attraction in CF and it's been that way for decades.

I was banned from the Lair for making the outrageous claim several years ago that a poster named mbe34 was obsessed with all things Paterno and PSU
The PiT asshole is here under various names. Just ignore the bastard and he'll go away.

There are several other schools that are in line before Pitt. They'll never be in the B1G. The 3 most logical are ND, Oregon and Washington.

Oregon and Washington gives the conference two more West Coast teams and provides USC and UCLA with regional travelling options and pulls in the Seattle and Portland markets.

And ND ? Well, Notre Dame is Notre Dame - simply the biggest attraction in CF and it's been that way for decades.
Let me get your thoughts on this from a Notre Dame perspective:

I’ve always thought that the next Big Ten expansion will be Notre Dame + Oregon, Stanford, and Washington. Stanford could almost be seen as a package deal with the Irish to get to 20 because it gives them another traditional rival. Their academics and geography (Bay Area) make them appealing as well.

However, part of me wonders if Arizona State would actually be the better option? They’re now an AAU institution, they’d bring another men’s hockey program into the Big Ten, and they have one of the largest enrollments in the country in a growing metro area. Not to mention the Sun Devils actually have a solid history of their own. On the flip side, Stanford’s football following has declined since their most recent run ended.

I’ve always thought that the next Big Ten expansion will be Notre Dame + Oregon, Stanford, and Washington. Stanford could almost be seen as a package deal with the Irish to get to 20 because it gives them another traditional rival. Their academics and geography (Bay Area) make them appealing as well.

However, part of me wonders if Arizona State would actually be the better option? They’re now an AAU institution, they’d bring another men’s hockey program into the Big Ten, and they have one of the largest enrollments in the country in a growing metro area. Not to mention the Sun Devils actually have a solid history of their own. On the flip side, Stanford’s football following has declined since their most recent run ended.
What would PiT bring?

I was always against ND joining a conference - in football - but now realize it's just a matter of survival in the next 3 to 4 years. The B1G is a huge money-making machine as I've read that by 2024 or 2025 they'll be paying out $100 million to each member (or something close to it).

I think the next 4 that the B1G is eye balling are ND, Washington, Oregon and yes, Arizona State which would bring in the Seattle, Portland and Phoenix markets. That would have the B1G controlling all of the mega markets except Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. I left out Miami as I'm not sure they're a strong CF market. Miami U has always had a problem filling the stadium

What would PiT bring?
To the Big Ten? Not much. BTN distribution in Pennsylvania is already covered via PSU and we wouldn’t bring a blueblood program with us like Notre Dame would.

I actually did a little analysis on this over the weekend and made a post about it here. Factoring in football revenue and tv ratings, as well as historical relevancy and media markets, Pitt would be the 14th “most valuable” non-Big Ten or SEC program available.

Although this means we don’t bring enough value to increase the Big Ten’s cumulative value, we’d be well positioned to either land a Big 12 invite if the ACC collapsed or a B1G/SEC invite if both conferences went to 24 teams total, which is unlikely at the moment.

To the Big Ten? Not much. BTN distribution in Pennsylvania is already covered via PSU and we wouldn’t bring a blueblood program with us like Notre Dame would.

I actually did a little analysis on this over the weekend and made a post about it here. Factoring in football revenue and tv ratings, as well as historical relevancy and media markets, Pitt would be the 14th “most valuable” non-Big Ten or SEC program available.

Although this means we don’t bring enough value to increase the Big Ten’s cumulative value, we’d be well positioned to either land a Big 12 invite if the ACC collapsed or a B1G/SEC invite if both conferences went to 24 teams total, which is unlikely at the moment.
I think it's when the ACC collapses, not if.

I was always against ND joining a conference - in football - but now realize it's just a matter of survival in the next 3 to 4 years. The B1G is a huge money-making machine as I've read that by 2024 or 2025 they'll be paying out $100 million to each member (or something close to it).

I think the next 4 that the B1G is eye balling are ND, Washington, Oregon and yes, Arizona State which would bring in the Seattle, Portland and Phoenix markets. That would have the B1G controlling all of the mega markets except Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. I left out Miami as I'm not sure they're a strong CF market. Miami U has always had a problem filling the stadium
That all makes sense- appreciate the response. I wonder if the Big Ten would try to stay aggressive and go past 20? For example, add the four schools mentioned *and* look east with, say, Georgia Tech and even FSU? I think the Big Ten would make an exception for its AAU requirement for them.
I think it's when the ACC collapses, not if.
Touché!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT