ADVERTISEMENT

Not a parody. Pitt will not join the B2G because ..

PSU couldn't handle it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not because they are a bottom half program that outdraw the opera and art museum

Wouldn't the B1G actually have interest in ASWP before it even mattered? BTW, PSU doesn't have veto power on the matter as absurdly implied (it's a "majority rules" vote on new members I believe, not a unanimous vote requirement as implied.). But the implication that the B1G has this huge interest in ASWP that PSU is trying to squash is beyond pathetic and laughable.... but fairly typical pittiot rhetoric.

Pitt only joins the Big Ten if the conference goes 40 teams and complete becomes its own league separate from the rest. I believe that this is the end game, but not sure they have a place in a 40 team league.

PSU couldn't handle it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not because they are a bottom half program that can't outdraw the opera and art museum

This basically sums it. I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of PSU fans in the Pittsburgh area compared to Pitt fans. Gotta believe it's close if not more PSU fans.

I kind of equate this to the Cincinnati area. I used to work in Cincinnati for 4 years and lived in Blue Ash (suburb of Cincy) and believe me, there were as many - if not more - OSU fans in that area as there were Cincinnati and Kentucky U. fans. Just a guess, but probably the same holds true for Pittsburgh and PSU support.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Article has no factual basis:

“I have no inside information on this but based on other schools and other conferences, the answer would be … ‘Hell no,’” he said.

Pure conjecture

If there is one group worse than Pitt fans, it’s Rutgers fans!
Truly, I would like to have pitt in our conference, but the financials cannot work.

Reactions: step.eng69
Pitt is no worse than Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Illinois. And if states like Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois can handle having multiple teams, then I don't see the big deal. But I also don't see Pitt being very high on the Big 10's wish list when the arms race starts. They would be best-suited to try to become a big fish in a smaller pond ASAP with the way things seem to be heading.

This basically sums it. I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of PSU fans in the Pittsburgh area compared to Pitt fans. Gotta believe it's close if not more PSU fans.

I kind of equate this to the Cincinnati area. I used to work in Cincinnati for 4 years and lived in Blue Ash (suburb of Cincy) and believe me, there were as many - if not more - OSU fans in that area as there were Cincinnati and Kentucky U. fans. Just a guess, but probably the same holds true for Pittsburgh and PSU support.
In Western PA, it's 45% PSU, 45% Pitt, and Maybe 10% ND. The rest of the state, 85% PSU, 10% ND, 5% Pitt and Temple.

Pitt is no worse than Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Illinois. And if states like Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois can handle having multiple teams, then I don't see the big deal. But I also don't see Pitt being very high on the Big 10's wish list when the arms race starts. They would be best-suited to try to become a big fish in a smaller pond ASAP with the way things seem to be heading.
I think Pitt currently has a better football program than those you mention. I also think that at one time Paterno had enough influence to keep them out. Not sure if he ever used it or not. Today, I don't think PSU has the influence to keep them out. From a league perspective though, I think the BIG wants to spread out geographically - FSU, UNC, VA maybe Georgia Tech. ND may be the only exception in the event of an ACC collapse.

I am not ashamed to admit there is one reason I don't want them in the BIG....spite!

Reactions: SUPERTODD
Pitt to Big 12 with WVU makes more sense than B1G… Syracuse and BC, too. Geography means little in todays realignment.

Don't know if it makes more sense, but I do know it is impossible for ASWP to go to B1G without an invitation. If by "making more sense", you mean ASWP is more likely to get an invitation from Big12 if ACC collapses due to defections.... than yea, ASWP is infinitely more likely to get an invite from the Big12 than the B1G.

How about WVU?

Maybe along the very southern border - but honestly, very few people live in the SW Corner of the State. Couldn't say for sure as I've never spent any time in that area. But there are not very many WV fans in the Pittsburgh Area.... or further north.

Reactions: psu00
Growing up in swpa, I’d say it’s more like 40% Pitt, 35% psu, 10% nd, 10% wvu, 5% others such as osu or Michigan. I know two families who are msu fans too.

If only one of Indiana or Purdue was in the Big Ten today, the other wouldn't get invited. And the same goes for Northwestern and Illinois. And maybe Michigan and Michigan State too, assuming Michigan State wasn't the one already in the conference.

Wrong, I grew up in Western PA and didn't know anyone who rooted for duhO$U. Knew lots of people who rooted for PSU, ASWP and ND.
We grew up in the same area around the same time period and I agree 100% with you on this…most of the people I knew were ND fans with a few PSU and Pitt fans. There was a heavy Catholic population in the area with a ton of ND supporters.

Good. I’d rather be in the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Heck, I’d rather be in the Big 12 than the ACC… although most of the Pitt fanbase doesn't already live in Kansas City. :oops:

Reactions: Roar More
Good. I’d rather be in the Big 12 than the Big Ten. Heck, I’d rather be in the Big 12 than the ACC… although most of the Pitt fanbase doesn't already live in Kansas City. :oops:
Why ? And it's not a sure thing that the Big 12 survives over the next 5 to 10 years

Why ? And it's not a sure thing that the Big 12 survives over the next 5 to 10 years
Because I’m selfish and I’d like to have our conference tournament ten minutes down the road from me. Not to mention I’d have 2-3 manageable road trips every year. Like I said, I’m not sure the rest of the fanbase feels the same way. :)

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Because I’m selfish and I’d like to have our conference tournament ten minutes down the road from me. Not to mention I’d have 2-3 manageable road trips every year. Like I said, I’m not sure the rest of the fanbase feels the same way. :)
If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the B12 outlasting the ACC and the PAC12. Of the three, they are the only one that has made any moves to address their losses and the only one that seems to be drawing possible interest from P5 schools, at the potential expense of the PAC12, no less.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the B12 outlasting the ACC and the PAC12. Of the three, they are the only one that has made any moves to address their losses and the only one that seems to be drawing possible interest from P5 schools, at the potential expense of the PAC12, no less.
I could see a scenario where the ACC blows up and the Big 12 expands towards both coasts- take Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah from the west and Louisville and Pitt from the east. There might be a few other programs (NC State, Virginia Tech) that might be available as well if they want to match the Big Ten and SEC if/when they expand to 20.

The one thought I’ve had is that would the Big 12 have expanded with the four G5 schools if they knew Pac-12 schools would be available?

Reactions: OaktonDave
I think Pitt currently has a better football program than those you mention. I also think that at one time Paterno had enough influence to keep them out. Not sure if he ever used it or not. Today, I don't think PSU has the influence to keep them out. From a league perspective though, I think the BIG wants to spread out geographically - FSU, UNC, VA maybe Georgia Tech. ND may be the only exception in the event of an ACC collapse.

I am not ashamed to admit there is one reason I don't want them in the BIG....spite!
JWB, you have to remember when Joe wanted an all eastern sports conference, and PSU was the one "left out?"

JWB, you have to remember when Joe wanted an all eastern sports conference, and PSU was the one "left out?"
I was a freshman in HS and don't recall the events of the time as they happened. I have read a lot about it here though. It seems everybody has a different take on how that went down. I always thought Pitt actually wanted us in the Big East and may have even supported Joe's Eastern conference to a point. In 2023, I wouldn't extend myself to help them. Different times. I think though, if the BIG brass wanted Pitt in, we alone couldn't keep them out.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I was a freshman in HS and don't recall the events of the time as they happened. I have read a lot about it here though. It seems everybody has a different take on how that went down. I always thought Pitt actually wanted us in the Big East and may have even supported Joe's Eastern conference to a point. In 2023, I wouldn't extend myself to help them. Different times. I think though, if the BIG brass wanted Pitt in, we alone couldn't keep them out.
This is correct. Although we weren’t in the Big East at the time (we would join soon thereafter), I believe we would’ve been in favor of PSU joining because Boston College and Syracuse were also in favor, as they were the two football schools Paterno was attempting to lure away for his eastern conference.

Ultimately, the no’s came down to three non-football schools who couldn’t see the big picture: Georgetown, St. John’s, and Villanova. IIRC, basketball made more than football at the time and tv was becoming very influential. Penn State didn’t provide them a formidable basketball program nor were they located in a major television market, which is why those schools rejected them. Little did they know football would drive the boat within a few years.

This is correct. Although we weren’t in the Big East at the time (we would join soon thereafter), I believe we would’ve been in favor of PSU joining because Boston College and Syracuse were also in favor, as they were the two football schools Paterno was attempting to lure away for his eastern conference.

Ultimately, the no’s came down to three non-football schools who couldn’t see the big picture: Georgetown, St. John’s, and Villanova. IIRC, basketball made more than football at the time and tv was becoming very influential. Penn State didn’t provide them a formidable basketball program nor were they located in a major television market, which is why those schools rejected them. Little did they know football would drive the boat within a few years.

When did NCAA basketball ever make more money than NCAA football? I'm willing to bet the answer is "Never".

When did NCAA basketball ever make more money than NCAA football? I'm willing to bet the answer is "Never".

The only time this was true in "Major College Football" was for teams that have terrible attendance and didn't go to Bowl Games. This was never true for the top-half of DIA/FBS College Football (i.e., P5). Most of his account (including that ASWP supported Paterno's Eastern Conference initiative) is pure BS and re-creationist history.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT