ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about Pitt to the Big Ten?

From me as a fan, I'd be fine with it if they were replacing Purdue or other uninspiring team. I don't particularly "want" them to join or care, but I'd rather have more local teams to PSU than not (I'd feel the same if the option were Syracuse or WVU or Boston College, etc). They bring little to the table though to warrant being an addition and would have no reason to be invited to make the league larger.

I would definitely see PSU not wanting them to join though as the article indicates as the school benefits from being the only Pennsylvania school in a "better" Power 5 conference.

The article is a hilarious attempt to make Pitt seem like they are relevant. They are not!

Pitt hasn’t been relevant since the Dan Marino days in the early 1980s.

It is mostly old timer fans holding on to past glory years (40+ years ago) when an eastern regional rival was relevant. Today, Pitt vs. Penn State is irrelevant from a national perspective.

The majority of Penn State fans are more focused on the big boy match-ups with prime time programs like Ohio State, USC, and Michigan.

Last edited:
They don't add any value IMO. PSU already gives them the Pittsburgh market. The Big 10 is only going to add teams that add significant value and TV markets. I don't have anything against Pitt. I hope they find a home somewhere when the ACC falls apart. But that home isn't the Big 10.

The article is a hilarious attempt to make Pitt seem like they are relevant. They are not!

Pitt hasn’t been relevant since the Dan Marino days in the early 1980s.

It is mostly old timer fans holding on to past glory years (40+ years ago) when an eastern regional rival was relevant. Today, Pitt vs. Penn State is irrelevant from a national perspective.

The majority of Penn State fans are more focused is on the big boy match-ups with prime time programs like Ohio State, USC, and Michigan.
The moron who wrote it said PSU would say hell no to Pitt joining right after he said he hasn't spoken to anyone at Penn State - either a complete dope or gifted mind reader but when it comes to anything sPitt I bet the farm on the former. I wouldn't mind them joining for the never ending fun of the clown patrol on the Liar predicting a victory every year against PSU and getting boat raced very year and the excuses they try to make for it - gold jerry.

Reactions: bison13
As a PSU fan I wouldn't care one way or another. I don't really care if we play them anymore. Thinking as an objective Big 10 admin, I don't see Pitt adding much of anything to the conference that it doesn't already have covered with PSU.

This "article" is ancient news. It's simply one person (McMurphy) guessing that PSU might want to block Pitt, and it's based on almost nothing at all. It got a bit of traction months ago when it was written, but I have no idea why as it's based on absolutely nothing other that his simple observation that recent realignment moves haven't involved multiple teams from the same state. He has no evidence of anyone "blocking" any such moves, it's a completely made up point and is a stupid premise.

Reactions: bytir
I’m ok with it. I’m sure they would make PSU play Pitt often which means easier wins than most of our current cross-over games.

Reactions: b&w1987
Al, many people feel that Rutgers joining the BIG was a clown car addition from an athletics standpoint. Why do we need another circus act sideshow?

Reactions: aworsnup
9ff5702131b1fafe39728d73e83ad0cc.gif

In all seriousness, I do not expect Pitt to receive a Big Ten invite. We would not bring a new market to the conference and our TV ratings wouldn’t do us any favors.

Even if the Big Ten was expanding to 24 members and the SEC already took Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC off the board, I would see the following schools having a greater likelihood of receiving an invitation (in alphabetical order):

- Arizona State
- Cal
- Georgia Tech
- Notre Dame
- Oregon
- Stanford
- Utah
- Virginia
- Washington

You could likely include Colorado and even Kansas in that list as well. The numbers just wouldn’t work in our favor. In fact, I think we’d have a better chance at the SEC than the Big Ten, though that’s a conversation for a separate thread. Our best options at this are 1) the ACC stays intact until 2036 and programs like Clemson and FSU lose value by then, 2) the ACC merges with the Pac-12, and 3) we receive an invite to the Big 12, although I’d much rather go back to the Big East at that point since I’m a Pitt basketball fan first and foremost. :)

Reactions: The Spin Meister
In a go big or go home scenario, I have no issue with Pitt joining the Big Ten. We need another Indiana to balance out Washington. However, we must tie admission to a new stadium. If they don't build it, they don't join.

Reactions: aworsnup
I would personally welcome them but I understand that some of you may not. Playing Pitt is more relevant than playing Indiana and Nebraska because they are a Northeastern program and kind of a regional rival. What do y’all think?

Why not Akron, Toledo, or Lehigh? Same caliber of program. Pitt has no fan base, no stadium, 3* or less recruits, no campus, and an arrogant humorless jerk for a coach. We play enough patsies every year. We don’t need another.

Why not Akron, Toledo, or Lehigh? Same caliber of program. Pitt has no fan base, no stadium, 3* or less recruits, no campus, and an arrogant humorless jerk for a coach. We play enough patsies every year. We don’t need another.
Georgia and Alabama play 10 patsies per year.

Damn right we need another patsy.

Reactions: Wallace Breen
In a go big or go home scenario, I have no issue with Pitt joining the Big Ten. We need another Indiana to balance out Washington. However, we must tie admission to a new stadium. If they don't build it, they don't join.
Supposedly, we’re looking into it. And when I say looking into it, they have a site identified for a hypothetical stadium.

But, let’s play devil’s advocate for a second. Let’s say Pitt built a 45-50,000 seat stadium in the Upper Hill behind the Olympic sports complex that is similar to Baylor’s. Would the Big Ten find that as attractive as Heinz Field, which seats 70,000 and will be undergoing significant renovations in the coming years? Obviously we’d fill the on-campus stadium while having difficulties doing so on the North Shore, but would the conference not like a larger stadium that could accommodate large visiting crowds for big games? Genuinely curious because I can see an argument either way.

Supposedly, we’re looking into it. And when I say looking into it, they have a site identified for a hypothetical stadium.

But, let’s play devil’s advocate for a second. Let’s say Pitt built a 45-50,000 seat stadium in the Upper Hill behind the Olympic sports complex that is similar to Baylor’s. Would the Big Ten find that as attractive as Heinz Field, which seats 70,000 and will be undergoing significant renovations in the coming years? Obviously we’d fill the on-campus stadium while having difficulties doing so on the North Shore, but would the conference not like a larger stadium that could accommodate large visiting crowds for big games? Genuinely curious because I can see an argument either way.
The 45 thousand seat stadium isn’t a problem. With the money you would receive from the BIG as a member you might be able to provide free pretzels, and hot dogs to go with the free beverages if people can stay till the game ends. That just might juice the appearance of attendance if you keep everyone on one side of the stadium facing the cameras, and tarp the other side.

The 45 thousand seat stadium isn’t a problem. With the money you would receive from the BIG as a member you might be able to provide free pretzels, and hot dogs to go with the free beverages if people can stay till the game ends. That just might juice the appearance of attendance if you keep everyone on one side of the stadium facing the cameras, and tarp the other side.
Hey, we haven’t had to tarp yet!…. Just a few yellow seats here and there. :oops:

In all seriousness, I just don’t think a potential invite would come down to an on-campus stadium. I look at UCLA’s attendance problem and they had no problems getting in. It’s apples to oranges since they also bring the LA market, but I just believe that other factors (tv ratings, markets) will be given more consideration.

I would personally welcome them but I understand that some of you may not. Playing Pitt is more relevant than playing Indiana and Nebraska because they are a Northeastern program and kind of a regional rival. What do y’all think?

Great to see you alive and well, RutgersAl! I am indifferent to Pitt but happy to see you back in action! I'm looking forward to your prognostications for the upcoming season. I mean that sincerely.

This 100%

Reactions: joeaubie21
BS Pitt’s program is far better than those. No where near a consistent top 25 team but not that low. And the overall sports program has made some solid gains.

They certainly are not a B2G program but not as low as those.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It would cause a huge stir especially here in Pittsburgh where we remain their # 1 rival.

Pitt athletics have improved but are not on our level and the know that. Admit them and we open the door for improvement and legitimacy.

Nothing personal to their athletes but their fan base can piss off. I have no time for them. Pitt burned their bridge with Paterno and I have no sympathy whatsoever. Let them find their own way, PSU should not help and support them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT