ADVERTISEMENT

How much "faster" are flights allowed to go?

emertmakeshiteup

Feb 27, 2019
Had a Delta from LaGuardia to Buffalo flight last week that was supposed to land at 2:11 PM but with only 40 passengers on a 100+ seat plane and Easterly winds we landed at 1:42!

Saw an interesting video that showed commercial flight times are longer now than 50 years ago - because flight times are gate to gate, and with more commercial traffic it takes longer to get out of a gate, taxi, and take off, land, taxi and get to the gate than it did 50 years ago.

Winds play a big role also, especially the jet stream over the North Atlantic - a good tailwind can take big chunks of time off a flight. A BA flight from JFK to LHR did the trip in 545 or so, a record for commercial flights.

Can't they load the plane quicker and, if everyone is on board, depart ahead of the scheduled time?

You might be surprised to know that it's not that simple. Each flight has a calculated time and path allotted to it, and that affects other flights and times. All of the aspects associated with the flight, from the time the aircraft is expected to arrive at the gate to deplane existing passengers, fuel, provisions, new passengers, depart the gate, taxi, takeoff and fly to the next location and do it all over again - is all calculated out. The airlines try to leave wiggle room for weather issues, but generally, it's pretty well calculated.

If the pilot does have a situation like you mentioned, he (or she) has to get permission from a host of other people; ATC, Ground, their FBO, corporate, etc.

It's not like deciding at 2 PM to get 3 of your buddies and their golf clubs in your car and head down the road to make a 3 pm tee time.

Reactions: step.eng69
-- Aircraft range has grown dramatically and continues to grow,, so longer flights, fewer layovers. Boeing 737s have 3X the range of the original model from the 1960s.

-- Yes aircraft speed is airspeed. So if you have a plane that can travel 550 miles per hour in the air, and you fly in a 200mph jet stream, your ground speed really is 750 -- faster than the the speed of sound.

Saw an interesting video that showed commercial flight times are longer now than 50 years ago - because flight times are gate to gate, and with more commercial traffic it takes longer to get out of a gate, taxi, and take off, land, taxi and get to the gate than it did 50 years ago.

Winds play a big role also, especially the jet stream over the North Atlantic - a good tailwind can take big chunks of time off a flight. A BA flight from JFK to LHR did the trip in 545 or so, a record for commercial flights.

There's no speed limit for airspeed.

But to go faster you need:

1) Aircraft design that minimizes the sonic boom, since if you have a sonic boom, you have no market other than trans-ocean routes.
2) Engines that are much more fuel efficient to make supersonic flight economically feasible

NASA and Boom and I think someone else are working on designs to minimize the sonic boom. Then to make it at all economical and not just another high-priced Concorde situation, you need the better engines. And if you want better engines, you have to convince the engine makers to build something from scratch, which is a tough sell. Boom is proving itself with a scaled down jet using existing military engines that won't be feasible to use in a larger commercial versions of the plane.

-- Aircraft range has grown dramatically and continues to grow,, so longer flights, fewer layovers. Boeing 737s have 3X the range of the original model from the 1960s.

-- Yes aircraft speed is airspeed. So if you have a plane that can travel 550 miles per hour in the air, and you fly in a 200mph jet stream, your ground speed really is 750 -- faster than the the speed of sound.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ph...-speed-801-mph-pennsylvania-monday-night/amp/

Interesting topic. Last month a commercial flight hit 801 mph ground speed over PA due to high winds.

I’ve also read that planes seldom cruise at maximum speed these days in an effort to save on fuel costs.

Can't they load the plane quicker and, if everyone is on board, depart ahead of the scheduled time?

Sure, but that isn't flight speed. Flight speed (air speed) is within a certain band... not much variability. And factually where you are landing has the biggest impact as you typically get put into a landing pattern and have to slow to fit in.

If you are flying into LGA from the south for example it's typical to fly by NYC then up to Connecticut and then back by NYC into LGA. This adds about 20 minutes to the flight time.

LdN

You might be surprised to know that it's not that simple. Each flight has a calculated time and path allotted to it, and that affects other flights and times. All of the aspects associated with the flight, from the time the aircraft is expected to arrive at the gate to deplane existing passengers, fuel, provisions, new passengers, depart the gate, taxi, takeoff and fly to the next location and do it all over again - is all calculated out. The airlines try to leave wiggle room for weather issues, but generally, it's pretty well calculated.

If the pilot does have a situation like you mentioned, he (or she) has to get permission from a host of other people; ATC, Ground, their FBO, corporate, etc.

It's not like deciding at 2 PM to get 3 of your buddies and their golf clubs in your car and head down the road to make a 3 pm tee time.
most often, those flight times are padded to help the airline and route post better "on time" statistics. I often take flights from Houston to Austin and back. The real time is under a half hour. The time they allot is an hour. very common to wait at the gate for 20 for late passengers and still get into austin at the same time. In fact, two years ago, I had a run in with a flight attendant because I didn't put my phone into airplane mode after the door was shut but we sat at the gate.

most often, those flight times are padded to help the airline and route post better "on time" statistics. I often take flights from Houston to Austin and back. The real time is under a half hour. The time they allot is an hour. very common to wait at the gate for 20 for late passengers and still get into austin at the same time. In fact, two years ago, I had a run in with a flight attendant because I didn't put my phone into airplane mode after the door was shut but we sat at the gate.

Actually, it's not the reason they do it, but the statistics have worked in their favor, and they have marketed it.

And if the flight attendant tells you to put your phone on airplane mode, then you should just do it.

Actually, it's not the reason they do it, but the statistics have worked in their favor, and they have marketed it.

And if the flight attendant tells you to put your phone on airplane mode, then you should just do it.
on the first, I agree. The second is pure BS. I'll guarantee less than half the people on a flight have their phones on airplane mode. Second, they now allow you to hook up to their wifi so the notion that airplane mode is for safety, is proven BS. Its a money grab to get you to pay $12 for wifi for a 1.24 hour flight...screw the airlines and their flight attendants too. I see their FAs and pilots flying deadheads...none put their phones on Airplane mode. It was made up from the get-go to get you to pay $10 a minute for their GTE inflight phones, then $10 to watch inflight movies, then $10hr for wifi that almost never works and they won't give you refunds.

Airplane mode isn't for turning off wifi, but for turning off the cellular radio. Sure, studies have shown that having your cellular radio turned on doesn't affect anything in flight, they still do it to discourage people from being on the phone the whole flight and annoying everyone else.

Reactions: psuro
on the first, I agree. The second is pure BS. I'll guarantee less than half the people on a flight have their phones on airplane mode. Second, they now allow you to hook up to their wifi so the notion that airplane mode is for safety, is proven BS. Its a money grab to get you to pay $12 for wifi for a 1.24 hour flight...screw the airlines and their flight attendants too. I see their FAs and pilots flying deadheads...none put their phones on Airplane mode. It was made up from the get-go to get you to pay $10 a minute for their GTE inflight phones, then $10 to watch inflight movies, then $10hr for wifi that almost never works and they won't give you refunds.

If the flight attendant says "put on your seat belt", put it on. If they say "put your briefcase under the seat in front of you", its what you do. Just follow the rules. It's not going to hurt you.

If the flight attendant says "put on your seat belt", put it on. If they say "put your briefcase under the seat in front of you", its what you do. Just follow the rules. It's not going to hurt you.
nah...you are too much of a wimp. I, on the other hand, get things done. I sent a note complaining to United, as a 1k flier, that got attention. I know it is a money grab, and so do they. When it loses them money, they'll change their policy. I am only doing it for your and everyone else's good.:D

Screw 'em. do the right thing.

The seat belt especially. Or you could end up like this

There's no speed limit for airspeed.

But to go faster you need:

1) Aircraft design that minimizes the sonic boom, since if you have a sonic boom, you have no market other than trans-ocean routes.
2) Engines that are much more fuel efficient to make supersonic flight economically feasible

NASA and Boom and I think someone else are working on designs to minimize the sonic boom. Then to make it at all economical and not just another high-priced Concorde situation, you need the better engines. And if you want better engines, you have to convince the engine makers to build something from scratch, which is a tough sell. Boom is proving itself with a scaled down jet using existing military engines that won't be feasible to use in a larger commercial versions of the plane.
This. My cousin is quoted in this recent test.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/features/supersonic-shockwave-interaction.html

I get a kick out of people that think airline status carries over into the rest of their lives.
well, you can be a lemming and do things people tell you to do that are nonsensical. But we need leaders to lead. In leading, people push boundaries and rules that make life better for everyone. As a 1K flier, I accept that responsibility and will never fail to help "the little people" who are not as blessed.

That cross, I will gladly bear. You can thank me later.

Reactions: PSU Mike
well, you can be a lemming and do things people tell you to do that are nonsensical. But we need leaders to lead. In leading, people push boundaries and rules that make life better for everyone. As a 1K flier, I accept that responsibility and will never fail to help "the little people" who are not as blessed.

That cross, I will gladly bear. You can thank me later.
1k - 1,000 miles?

I don’t typically put my phone into airplane mode until the plane takes a substantial step in its endeavor to enter the air.

1k - 1,000 miles?
yeah...its a United Airlines thing. 1k means 100,000 miles but there are other qualifies like money spent, legs, etc. It is the highest tier behind Global. Global is by invitation only and they keep the invitation parameters secret. It is typically international travelers that fly a lot between US, India, China and Europe. I've got some friends who have millions of miles stored up from flights back and forth to China. Domestic fliers, like me, have no shot at getting the kinds of miles they do.

Airplane mode isn't for turning off wifi, but for turning off the cellular radio. Sure, studies have shown that having your cellular radio turned on doesn't affect anything in flight, they still do it to discourage people from being on the phone the whole flight and annoying everyone else.
Pretty sure it’s so your phone doesn’t connect to loads of cell phone towers from above. Doesn’t have anything to do with flight com or annoying
people. But you’re right airplane mode doesn’t cut WiFi.

nah...you are too much of a wimp. I, on the other hand, get things done. I sent a note complaining to United, as a 1k flier, that got attention. I know it is a money grab, and so do they. When it loses them money, they'll change their policy. I am only doing it for your and everyone else's good.:D

Screw 'em. do the right thing.
What got done?

I don’t typically put my phone into airplane mode until the plane takes a substantial step in its endeavor to enter the air.

Agree. most people don't turn off their phones. I've heard FA's phones go off on final approach several times. I know several FAs on several routes. They simply laugh. The good news is that I haven't seen an FA try to enforce airplane mode for over a year. They make the announcement but only come down on people actually talking on their phone. Even at that, they are a lot more laid back about it.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
What got done?

The regulation is an FAA regulation so, being govt, they won't do anything until they have to. United will have to lobby them, just like the other airlines do. And the FAA has their hands full. Regardless, United is much more lenient on airplane mode now. As I was posting above when you posted, I never see anyone enforce airplane mode.

The case was pretty simple. The airline reserves an hour to fly between point A and point B. The flight actually takes 26 minutes (I fly it about the round trip once every two weeks). So the airline, knowing the the destination gate won't be available will close the door on time to keep their "on time" stats up. Then, they'll sit there for 15 to 20 minutes before pushing back. The FA, by regulation, has to tell people to go to airplane mode. The plane is full of busy business people so nobody turns it off. Before, the FA's would walk the plane looking for people that didn't put their phone on AM and pounce. Over the last year, I haven't seen a single FA ask someone to put a device on AM unless they were physically talking on the phone. I've NEVER complained about an employee except for one time when an FA got particularly hostile when he actually asked me for my phone to check to see if it was in airplane mode. I sent a suggestion, along with a photo of the employee's ID and a photo of the gate still against the side of the plane. This was when United had security drag a guy down the isle after giving his seat away. I suggested that United train their FA's to take a more professional tact in the future. A manager sent me a letter with 15,000 miles and a FC upgrade.

I have, several times, sent suggestions to executives at United. In most cases, i get a thank you and miles. Once, when I documented how they could improve their invoices to help business travelers with their expense reports, I got a call and a fruit basket from the CEO. (not the current one)

progress!

I don't know why people just don't take advantage of the break from their cell phones.

Oh, right. People.
Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

On this particular day, I flew from CLE to Houston to Austin in the AM. That night, I caught a flight from Austin to Houston to LA. i try to stick with United because if there is a delay, they treat me very well. I've had cars awaiting my arriving aircraft to drive me to my next flight when delayed. United enjoys my loyalty and revenue. At the same time, I had a key conversion and was going back and forth with them via text. They had over 100,000 users that were down. I was managing our support teams and letting the customer know what was happening. Down time was critical. To me, this is a lot different than a person flying his family to Disney or boarding a 6am flight and napping before 90% of the rest of Americans even got up.

Once, I sat next to a guy who got a call (in Austin) that katy perry had a cancellation and whoever got a wire to the management team first, got the slot. Perry, at the time, was an emerging star. "I kissed a Girl" was getting great airtime. The guy got the call as they were closing the door. He called someone in his office instructing them to send Perry's team a wire transfer as the FA was threatening to have the plane stop and send the pilot back as we taxied. The guy understood but this was a game changer for his small venue as he could get people in Austin to visit who never paid any attention before. As soon as the plane's wheels hit the ground, he was on the phone making sure the wire went out. Unfortunately, the wire needed his authorization. Last I saw of him, he was running down the ramp to try and find a wifi signal that worked. (this was before in flight wifi and he wasn't getting a good LTE or whatever, signal on the plane). I've sat next to doctors being flown out for emergency surgeries, senior executives, senators, pro athletes. Not long ago, my Uber driver told me he picked up a surgeon at 2am during the polar vortex. The guy had a surgery scheduled in Harrisburg but couldn't get in. So he flew to CLE and took an Uber to Harrisburg to get the surgery in (not sure I'd want to be that patient but who knows how urgent the surgery was). Everyone's story is different.

Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs.

On this particular day, I flew from CLE to Houston to Austin in the AM. That night, I caught a flight from Austin to Houston to LA. i try to stick with United because if there is a delay, they treat me very well. I've had cars awaiting my arriving aircraft to drive me to my next flight when delayed. United enjoys my loyalty and revenue. At the same time, I had a key conversion and was going back and forth with them via text. They had over 100,000 users that were down. I was managing our support teams and letting the customer know what was happening. Down time was critical. To me, this is a lot different than a person flying his family to Disney or boarding a 6am flight and napping before 90% of the rest of Americans even got up.

Once, I sat next to a guy who got a call (in Austin) that katy perry had a cancellation and whoever got a wire to the management team first, got the slot. Perry, at the time, was an emerging star. "I kissed a Girl" was getting great airtime. The guy got the call as they were closing the door. He called someone in his office instructing them to send Perry's team a wire transfer as the FA was threatening to have the plane stop and send the pilot back as we taxied. The guy understood but this was a game changer for his small venue as he could get people in Austin to visit who never paid any attention before. As soon as the plane's wheels hit the ground, he was on the phone making sure the wire went out. Unfortunately, the wire needed his authorization. Last I saw of him, he was running down the ramp to try and find a wifi signal that worked. (this was before in flight wifi and he wasn't getting a good LTE or whatever, signal on the plane). I've sat next to doctors being flown out for emergency surgeries, senior executives, senators, pro athletes. Not long ago, my Uber driver told me he picked up a surgeon at 2am during the polar vortex. The guy had a surgery scheduled in Harrisburg but couldn't get in. So he flew to CLE and took an Uber to Harrisburg to get the surgery in (not sure I'd want to be that patient but who knows how urgent the surgery was). Everyone's story is different.

I get it - you are more important than everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT