ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you would prefer the PSU football records the 20 years before Franklin to his 10 year record.

Alabama had a real hard time finding a long-term replacement for Bryant (Stallings did get it done), and that's pretty much the best CFB program that there is. There are a lot of bad fits who can really mess up a program fast

a lot of it comes down to the AD making the hire, and internal politics. I feel like Kraft would do a good job of finding a replacement.
Yep, and Alabama fans learned to appreciate the Bear and Nick because of those years. They were and are absolutely necessary.

I can’t believe, well actually I can, that you’re arguing for kissing your sister as being a good thing. That’s laughable.
I don’t think 10-2 and in the top 10 is equivalent to kissing your sister….since I don’t have a sister I’m not quite the expert that you are apparently.

It absolutely has relevance, you’re willing to risk trashing the program to take a chance that the next guy will be better and I’m not. That seems pretty relevant.
there's a difference between taking calculated business risks and just engaging in taking reckless chances for no reason whatsoever. the latter is a really bad idea

Your argument is a moot point. It couldn’t have happened therefore it didn’t happen.
Yet it’s okay to argue that Joe would have done better than Franklin in the NIL era just because….got it.

10-3 finished ranked 11th is the most massive failure imaginable?

There were high expectations because, contrary to reports of his demise, Paterno had a tremendously strong program. His recruiting mistakes hadn't quite surfaced yet. People complain about the dark years and wonder why Joe was allowed to continue. It's actually pretty simple:

1. Proven track record
2. Unbelievable fund raiser, which unfortunately also distracted from his time with the program
3. His ability to recognize problems and course correct
4. His proper evaluation of the talent on the roster and when to expect improvements

In hindsight Joe was absolutely the best person to lead the program out of the dark years, and he did it with resounding success.

It's funny, people point to 2000-2004 as the dark years. I look it as 96-00 when he was making his recruiting mistakes.

Last edited:
I don’t think 10-2 and in the top 10 is equivalent to kissing your sister….since I don’t have a sister I’m not quite the expert that you are apparently.
lol, always stopping to the insult level. You’re consistent with that.

There were high expectations because, contrary to reports of his demise, Paterno had a tremendously strong program. His recruiting mistakes hadn't quite surfaced yet. People complain about the dark years and wonder why Joe was allowed to continue. It's actually pretty simple:

1. Proven track record
2. Unbreakable fund raiser, which also distracted from his time with the program
3. His ability to recognize problems and course correct
4. His proper evaluation of the talent on the roster and when to expect improvements

In hindsight Joe was absolutely the best person to lead the program out of the dark years, and he did it with resounding success.

It's funny, people point to 2001-2005 as the dark years. I look it as 97-01 when he was making his recruiting mistakes.
he was allowed to continue because the AD was an empty suit

And what will your argument be next year when we don’t make it because we are ranked 15th? “It should be expanded to the top 25. If it was we’d have a chance to be included.” Absolutely laughable.
Did you duck when the point went over your head? I never said they should have gone back and changed the rules in prior years so PSU could have made it, I said they would have made it had the system been in place. If they end up ranked 15th next year, they won’t make the 12 team playoff. If they finish ranked 11th and make it will you criticize Franklin because if it was still a four team playoff he wouldn’t have made it? Probably.

Yet it’s okay to argue that Joe would have done better than Franklin in the NIL era just because….got it.
Who argued that? I haven’t. They are two different eras which are incomparable when attempting to compare anything outside results and X’s and O’s.

Did you duck when the point went over your head? I never said they should have gone back and changed the rules in prior years so PSU could have made it, I said they would have made it had the system been in place. If they end up ranked 15th next year, they won’t make the 12 team playoff. If they finish ranked 11th and make it will you criticize Franklin because if it was still a four team playoff he wouldn’t have made it? Probably.
You’re obviously not grasping the concept of your “point” being completely invalid. It’s not even a valid argument. I will undoubtedly criticize CJF until he delivers a championship. That is and should be the expectation at PSU. It’s been done before. That is the standard.

When he wins one, I’ll congratulate him for proving me wrong. I seriously have my doubts he’ll ever accomplish this feat.

How do you validate what he said in that moment as a lie? He could have been sold the keys to the kingdom before joining and then was handed the keys to hades for all you know. He stayed with NE because of the playoffs. He left because the BOT group is retarded.

Having a bitter taste in your mouth is understandable, but to call a man a liar is silly. IMO

I take serious issue with FLO staying at NE while OSU and others raided the recruiting class, his idiotic and amateur statement to management to 'just keep us on tv', preaching to players things are a business decision then blasting them repeating it when they transferred out, and his recognizing the sanctions had no merit and only using them to get a new contract without pushing back on them. In hindsight, PSU could not have picked a worse coach.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Just following your lead, you made a similar comment to me, but I guess that’s okay (as long as you do it).
Where did I insult you? You’re not very good at the leftist tactics.

I may have hurt your feelings with my difference of opinion, but that doesn’t equate to slinging insults.

I take serious issue with FLO staying at NE while OSU and others raided the recruiting class, his idiotic and amateur statement to management to 'just keep us on tv', preaching to players things are a business decision then blasting them repeating it when they transferred out, and his recognizing the sanctions had no merit and only using them to get a new contract without pushing back on them. In hindsight, PSU could not have picked a worse coach.
he was enough of a players' coach that the 2012 team didn't just say forget it and leave, but his objective was not staying at PSU. that was clear almost instantly

You’re obviously not grasping the concept of your “point” being completely invalid. It’s not even a valid argument. I will undoubtedly criticize CJF until he delivers a championship. That is and should be the expectation at PSU. It’s been done before. That is the standard.

When he wins one, I’ll congratulate him for proving me wrong. I seriously have my doubts he’ll ever accomplish this feat.
Because we won one almost 40 years ago, that is the standard? And you said PSU won’t make the 12 team playoff next year, I said since they would have made it five of the last eight years history is not on your side…seems pretty straightforward to me so who’s not grasping the point?

Who argued that? I haven’t. They are two different eras which are incomparable when attempting to compare anything outside results and X’s and O’s.
You responded to a post that said that exact thing and said “amen, great rebuttal.” One could assume that you agree with the argument presented.

Because we won one almost 40 years ago, that is the standard? And you said PSU won’t make the 12 team playoff next year, I said since they would have made it five of the last eight years history is not on your side…seems pretty straightforward to me so who’s not grasping the point?
It definitely should be. Are you arguing the standard shouldn’t be for winning NC’s? If so, that’s kind of silly. You aren’t applying accurate context to our conversation. Your argument was “we would have made it in xx years if the 12 team format was present.” To which I replied, “well it wasn’t and therefore it couldn’t have happened and it didn’t happen.” Then we bantered some more and I made the comment we won’t make the 12 team field next year (only time will tell if right or wrong).

Then you came back with this current post that lacks all context to our conversation.

You responded to a post that said that exact thing and said “amen, great rebuttal.” One could assume that you agree with the argument presented.
One shouldn’t assume. One should ask questions for clarity.

It definitely should be. Are you arguing the standard shouldn’t be for winning NC’s? If so, that’s kind of silly. You aren’t applying accurate context to our conversation. Your argument was “we would have made it in xx years if the 12 team format was present.” To which I replied, “well it wasn’t and therefore it couldn’t have happened and it didn’t happen.” Then we bantered some more and I made the comment we won’t make the 12 team field next year (only time will tell if right or wrong).

Then you came back with this current post that lacks all context to our conversation.
yet when presented with all of the lackluster years since 1990, the response is just, well that was fine because it was necessary for the two good ones.

Where did I insult you? You’re not very good at the leftist tactics.

I may have hurt your feelings with my difference of opinion, but that doesn’t equate to slinging insults.
“I can’t believe, well actually I can, that you’re arguing for kissing your sister as actually being a good thing”….sounds like an insult to me.

yet when presented with all of the lackluster years since 1990, the response is just, well that was fine because it was necessary for the two good ones.
There is like zero logic applied to this post. I never said it was fine. I simply stated it was necessary for the good years. Good equating to championship seasons or undefeated seasons. Does that help?

“I can’t believe, well actually I can, that you’re arguing for kissing your sister as actually being a good thing”….sounds like an insult to me.
Not at all. Go back and quote the entire post for context. Don’t cherry pick.

There is like zero logic applied to this post. I never said it was fine. I simply stated it was necessary for the good years. Good equating to championship seasons or undefeated seasons. Does that help?
how does the fact that the 1997 and 1999 teams crapped out have anything to do with successful seasons that came years later? Those were the squads that had real chances at national titles and the staff blew it

But remember, all these years under Franklin have been a success because it will allow us to appreciate it more when we win a championship….see how your logic works?

But remember, all these years under Franklin have been a success because it will allow us to appreciate it more when we win a championship….see how your logic works?
lol, maybe that will be the case. The jury is still out. How long does one have to prove he can cut the mustard or not? That’s the important question. I have absolutely no reservation at all in stating that CJF is not a NC caliber coach. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

Or one shouldn’t say something was great if they didn’t agree with it. That’s a tough one to figure out.
Again, a different in opinion doesn’t equate to slinging insults. That’s just someone getting their feelings hurt because they don’t understand what a euphemism is.

lol, maybe that will be the case. The jury is still out. How long does one have to prove he can cut the mustard or not? That’s the important question. I have absolutely no reservation at all in stating that CJF is not a NC caliber coach. Maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.
So Saban, Smart, Swinney and Harbaugh are the only coaches that are acceptable?

That depends on what your definition of “is” is.
You seem to be getting offended for no reason. I’m merely explaining to you that an insult wasn’t thrown your way. Take it as you will. It’s your choice.

he was allowed to continue because the AD was an empty suit

Well then so were the president and the entire bot. It can reasonably be argued they were all a bunch of pussies, or that they recognized Joe's track record and changes he was making. At the end of the day it was the right decision.

Well then so were the president and the entire bot. It can reasonably be argued they were all a bunch of pussies, or that they recognized Joe's track record and changes he was making. At the end of the day it was the right decision.
the president wasn't going to make any move that rocked the boat. Joe was the better bureaucratic infighter. it is clear that's the only reason he kept his job after those horrible seasons

It absolutely has relevance, you’re willing to risk trashing the program to take a chance that the next guy will be better and I’m not. That seems pretty relevant.
No risk no reward.

You want to be a such a puss then fine, doesn't mean that any change will automatically fail. Franklin has had 10 years, how much longer do you think is reasonable?

Reactions: hoflane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT