ADVERTISEMENT

How many of the "posters" are friends in the real world ?

I don't know if I have met any of the posters here or not. Been on the board since the early plotit days.

Recently found out that kgilbert and I lived in the same PSU dorm house (Potter House) at the same time and he lives in the Columbus, OH area like I do, so maybe we have met either at Penn State or at an alumni group function. I did meet the guy who used to wear the Paterno mask at the games as he is from Westerville.

As my handle here is the same nickname I was given by the crazies on my dorm floor (my Penn State friends still use it) he probably should know who I am, but I believe he lived on the floor below. Practically everyone was given a nickname - e.g. Warsaw, Soupbone, Gypsy, Tex, Skypec#*r, Fat Sh!+, etc. and it was a rite of passage. Got my nickname because I was from just over the border in NE Ohio.

Obli and I lived in a small Ohio town for the same one year (1980 - 81) and part of that time was at the same small apartment complex, so it is possible we could have bumped into each other. Didn't have but maybe 1 or 2 PSU shirts at the time, so I rarely wore one and therefore would not have been recognizable as a Penn Stater (my shirts worn in undergrad school had just gotten plain wore out and throw away at that time).

9799929_orig.jpg

McAndrew Board Tailgate ... :eek:

Just keep guns outta the crab dip, he gets that stuff in him and he gets all get all antsy in his pantsy.

Reactions: artsandletters
(ahem).
But don't worry about forgetting meeting me a couple times. I'll be ok. :oops:
Probably.
Sigh.

;)

Oh darn. I knew I would forget someone. Sorry Bob!

I met Bob and his lovely wife at an NLC function in the Philly area (Valley Forge) a couple of times, and I think we ran into each other at a hotel in Harrisburg the morning of a home game while at the breakfast buffet. Bob was using tongs, and I was not.

His wife did admonish me for my sig pics, while Bob just quietly smiled in the background.

And I know I am forgetting someone else.

Reactions: Zenophile
I've been here for 13 years off and on, and have never met a poster to my knowledge. Oh wait, I met a couple of the PSPellys a long time ago. Having followed trials and tribulations of many of you over the years, I at least have come to know your screen persona.

Trials? :eek:

NO WAY! totally forgot about that until you posted this!! Next time I travel back, we will have to meet up . . .

btw, I know ericstraton and another poster. We watch the football games at the same place. and yes, ericstraton is as manly in real life as he is on the board.

He does a drive-by every day. Fortunately you don't live there anymore. :eek:

One thing that is worth noting in this thread is that there are two periods of this board:

Pre and Post Thread View

It was much more of a community pre the change IMO. Mainly because discussions would slide off the main board and posters wouldn't go on and on and on at eachother about the same topic.

Most of the relationships IMO date back to before the change.

LdN
I remember you setting up a "Bring Back Thread View" Haiku post. Got some good ones out of it, too.

If anyone wants to meet up for a drink or something, I got a place. You can make all the noise you want and no one will hear a thing. Fairgambit, you can bring your wife.

37b85942a296056ff474e58976dc8759.jpg

Oh darn. I knew I would forget someone. Sorry Bob!

I met Bob and his lovely wife at an NLC function in the Philly area (Valley Forge) a couple of times, and I think we ran into each other at a hotel in Harrisburg the morning of a home game while at the breakfast buffet. Bob was using tongs, and I was not.

His wife did admonish me for my sig pics, while Bob just quietly smiled in the background.

And I know I am forgetting someone else.

And I continue to quietly smile at your sig pics.
Wifey nearby = tong usage. Otherwise, Ro and I may have bumped fingers when reaching for that muffin in the buffet line.

Sluggo, Dem, FoxChapel, Relayer, doublehaul, mn83, can't think of any others. DavidM dropped of campaign signs at my house once when he was running for BOT but I didn't meet him. When you meet Sluggo, bring a thirst! ;)

I met Driver006, a poster at FOS. He's the guy who drives the football equipment trailer to the away games. Nice fellow.

Last edited:
We could all meet at a tailgate but, it has to be anonymous like this board. No one can tell anyone else their real name or board name. We'll just refer to each other as Sir.

I've been here for 13 years off and on, and have never met a poster to my knowledge. Oh wait, I met a couple of the PSPellys a long time ago. Having followed trials and tribulations of many of you over the years, I at least have come to know your screen persona.
I am tight with Tom McAndrew. Occasionally we get together to smoke a doobie and spin Grateful Dead vinyl.

We could all meet at a tailgate but, it has to be anonymous like this board. No one can tell anyone else their real name or board name. We'll just refer to each other as Sir.
Sir seems too formal for this bunch, can we all just use one of the many Mack daddy personas? We could draw them from a giant Pope hat.

Other than 'ro, not aware of having met any of you in person.....though I'm certain we were in lines together on gameday Saturdays: maybe The Corner Room or Lions Pride, maybe one of the bookstores or certainly The Creamery. We perhaps even spoke a few words together, who knows.

I have met about a dozen of the BWI wives, but that's all on Fonzie, basset hounds are chick magnets!:rolleyes:

PSU Mike, yeah, we need to get together at SCC some afternoon, it's important to stay hydrated in this hot humid weather.

I tried to tell her most here are harmless, but she reads some of the exchanges and thinks a few are escapees from a mental hospital.;)
Dr allows me to post from mental ward. Sometimes they shut off my privileges and give me a time out. Thats why I sometimes don't post for a day or two. Really miss you guys then.......

Reactions: fairgambit
...I had the pleasure of discussing wrestling witH TomMc a few years ago ... recounting some of my old experiences with Doc Speidel, Ridge Riley, Tor Toretti and Doc Light made me realize how much water has gone under the bridge since then...
...during wrestling season I look forward to encounters with old friends like Joe Humphries, Bud Meredith and Dave Adams... and especially the NCAA tournament where the list grows into the hundreds...I've been to 54 of them and hope to be at a few more in the future...
... oh, well....

MaconNitt and I share season tix for football and hockey and he is a brother from another mother to me. We also got to meet and tailgate with the wonderful duo of NovaPSULuvr and psunovaluvr. MaconNitt and myself have also shared Boursin cheesesteaks with the inimitable TomMcA. I am sure if we met others on the board here we would all have a great time. I often said we need an Offical McAndrew Board BWI flag to allow us to find our kind in the lots

fwiw, a lot of regulars on the wrestling board seem to know each other and I've met some of them; it's a smaller group overall obviously and they get together at matches and tournaments; doesn't stop the arguments ;)

fwiw, a lot of regulars on the wrestling board seem to know each other and I've met some of them; it's a smaller group overall obviously and they get together at matches and tournaments; doesn't stop the arguments ;)
Does Gunsie show up, threatening body slams and full nelsons?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
WestSideLion and I lived nearby on the UES years ago and would watch games together. We keep in touch.

Also met Ro at a watch party, which he mentioned.

I was one of the four or five of us who put the Rally 4 Resignations together. This means I met Dem, And DavidM and the person who put the 409 stickers together.

Probably some others, but I don't recall their names at this time.

LdN
I went to that to listen to the speeches. But I'm not friends IRL with most of my board friends (both here and Columbus Crew). There have been some exceptions, though. I go to Jackets games occasionally with one of my Crew board buddies and I know a couple more when I see them at games.

And, of course, as Big O has noted, we lived in the same dorm during our PSU days.

Part of the thing here is that I got on this board after 2011 and close to the time I gave up my season tickets, which I'd had since 1985 (I picked a good time!), so I'm not in Happy Valley much anymore--heck, had it not been for an unexpected business trip to Philly, I would not have been in PA at all in 2016 and it was only a PSU graduation (old friend's daughter) this spring that got us back in 2017.

I don't know if I have met any of the posters here or not. Been on the board since the early plotit days.

Recently found out that kgilbert and I lived in the same PSU dorm house (Potter House) at the same time and he lives in the Columbus, OH area like I do, so maybe we have met either at Penn State or at an alumni group function. I did meet the guy who used to wear the Paterno mask at the games as he is from Westerville.

As my handle here is the same nickname I was given by the crazies on my dorm floor (my Penn State friends still use it) he probably should know who I am, but I believe he lived on the floor below. Practically everyone was given a nickname - e.g. Warsaw, Soupbone, Gypsy, Tex, Skypec#*r, Fat Sh!+, etc. and it was a rite of passage. Got my nickname because I was from just over the border in NE Ohio.

Obli and I lived in a small Ohio town for the same one year (1980 - 81) and part of that time was at the same small apartment complex, so it is possible we could have bumped into each other. Didn't have but maybe 1 or 2 PSU shirts at the time, so I rarely wore one and therefore would not have been recognizable as a Penn Stater (my shirts worn in undergrad school had just gotten plain wore out and throw away at that time).
I might well recognize you if I saw you IRL.... The avatar pic is a current one. But it has been almost 40 years.

I also knew Bill Levinson in college--we were chem majors together.

And yes, I do remember some of those nicknames. Not sure I was on the floor long enough to get one, as I spent that Spring Term in Germany.

I have met PSUPelly at a home game, played golf with Marsh Creek Eagle, SJLuvsLions, DelcoLion, met LiondeNittany at a Penn State watch party in NYC, met West Side Lion at the same watch party, and also played golf with him, and met Cronk in Lincoln in 2003 at the Nebraska game. IllinoisLion gave me a ride to O'Hare after a Northwestern game in Evanston. I think we had planned golf, but the weather was not cooperative.

I sold season tickets to Judge Smails and his father many years ago.

Oh, and I met Tom McAndrew once at Dan Connor's football game at Strath Haven.

But, I guess that meeting people once or twice does not necessarily constitute "friends".

MaconNitt and I share season tix for football and hockey and he is a brother from another mother to me. We also got to meet and tailgate with the wonderful duo of NovaPSULuvr and psunovaluvr. MaconNitt and myself have also shared Boursin cheesesteaks with the inimitable TomMcA. I am sure if we met others on the board here we would all have a great time. I often said we need an Offical McAndrew Board BWI flag to allow us to find our kind in the lots
See you this year for a game as well I hope! Have a great summer....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT