ADVERTISEMENT

How many of the "posters" are friends in the real world ?

katchthis

Sep 3, 2004
I've been here for 13 years off and on, and have never met a poster to my knowledge. Oh wait, I met a couple of the PSPellys a long time ago. Having followed trials and tribulations of many of you over the years, I at least have come to know your screen persona.

I have met PSUPelly at a home game, played golf with Marsh Creek Eagle, SJLuvsLions, DelcoLion, met LiondeNittany at a Penn State watch party in NYC, met West Side Lion at the same watch party, and also played golf with him, and met Cronk in Lincoln in 2003 at the Nebraska game. IllinoisLion gave me a ride to O'Hare after a Northwestern game in Evanston. I think we had planned golf, but the weather was not cooperative.

Oh, and I met Tom McAndrew once at Dan Connor's football game at Strath Haven.

But, I guess that meeting people once or twice does not necessarily constitute "friends".

Last edited:
I've been here for 13 years off and on, and have never met a poster to my knowledge. Oh wait, I met a couple of the PSPellys a long time ago. Having followed trials and tribulations of many of you over the years, I at least have come to know your screen persona.

There's a real world? ..... and it has Pelly's in it? My Oh My..... someone inform the state judiciary.... the BOT.... the recruit groupies .... This is all so new and confusing.... :)

Reactions: We Are . . .
Demlion has been stalking me years after I loaned him a Genesee Cream Ale six years ago at my tailgate... he's not unlike a crazy ex-girlfriend (you know, facial hair and all)

I've recently learned tenerhallterror grew up in a house down the road... i drive by every day...

Years ago I learned that someone on this board (can't immediately recall his handle, unfortunately) is married to a woman who was unfortunate to have taught me in Sunday-school back in the early 70s...

About 10yrs ago - a board-lurker revealed that he's a former IBM Endicott finance guy and recalled working with my dad back in the 70s... had nice things to say, which meant a lot to me

Believe i knew who a poster by the name of "dunc5" was... have not seen that person on this board using that handle in many moons... recall that ittitated many on this board

I run into Penn Staters all the time and try to sniff out if they are BWI posters... happened on Sat night at an Elvis Costello concert when the couple behind us commented on my PSU baseball hat :) Thought maybe it was Rochlion, alas it was not

There are some on here that seem like idiots, yet none have been dumb enough to track me down. Well that's not quite true. I met Westie in person to get some ND tickets LdN had in 2006/7 (?) when we played them in SB.

I actually met more folks through the fly fishing boards I used to frequent - probably bordering on double digits, maybe more.

I suspect there would be some surprises if more of us met. I think ILLINOISLION warned me about this as we casually floated the concept of meeting (because he golfs within 2 miles of my place). I'm not fundamentally opposed to meeting others in the right situation. The fly fishermen meet ups were all positive, and covered a range of personalities.

I think I may have bought PSU tickets from Glov.

Glov, you going to the UNC game at Pitt?

I was at a HS football game one year and started talking to the person next to me. The opposing team had a player PSU was after .... Discussion turned to recruiting, PSU Football, BWI .... it was Tom McAndrew. Made my night! He is even better in person.

None that I know of, but I keep thinking that it's quite possible that I actually know or have met some of you. I tailgated for several years (from around 1995 to 2010) with a very large group that had it's "home" based in State College. My connection was a college friend who lives in State College. The group had regulars from Philly, Pittsburgh, NJ, DC, VA, DE among other places.

We had a really good run for several years. Met several players, cheerleaders, "The Touch of Blue" and others who would stop by. We actually made it on to ESPN one year when they had a roving camera crew wondering around the tailgates. I made it on the screen for a split second.

The guy who started the whole thing gave it up several years ago, and I think the next generation may have kept it going in some form but I haven't stopped by in many years.

I was at a HS football game one year and started talking to the person next to me. The opposing team had a player PSU was after .... Discussion turned to recruiting, PSU Football, BWI .... it was Tom McAndrew. Made my night! He is even better in person.
You didn't notice the Quaker garb and make the connection immediately?

I did meet DavidM's step son randomly here in the Chicago burbs as our kids mingled on a playground. Funny how the conversation gets you to the realization.

I have, to my knowledge, never met anyone who posts here. There are, perhaps, a dozen or so that I consider Board friends and would very much like to meet some day. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out, but I hope they know who they are. No GLOV, you are not on the list.:( Aw, I'm kidding. You would make the cut. :) Anyway, I've mentioned before that we had a family member who ran into a serious situation after agreeing to meet someone she met online and ever since my wife has made it clear that she has no problem with me posting but would be very upset if I agreed to meet anyone, even in a group. I tried to tell her most here are harmless, but she reads some of the exchanges and thinks a few are escapees from a mental hospital.;) I asked her if she had changed her mind just about a month ago and she had not. I could probably force the issue, but I know she is concerned and will not.

Last edited:
I have, to my knowledge, never met anyone who posts here. There are, perhaps, a dozen or so that I consider Board friends and would very much like to meet some day. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out, but I hope they know who they are. No GLOV, you are not on the list.:(Aw, I'm kidding. You would make the cut. :) Anyway, I've mentioned before that we had a family member who ran into a serious situation after agreeing to meet someone she met online and every since my wife has made it clear that she has no problem with me posting but would be very upset if I agreed to meet anyone, even in a group. I tried to tell her most here are harmless, but she reads some of the exchanges and thinks some are escapees from a mental hospital.;) I asked her if she had changed her mind just about a month ago and she had not. I could probably force the issue, but I know she is concerned and will not.
Funny, my wife says exactly the same thing about you. You could tell your wife that, Ted Kaczynski notwithstanding, mathematicians are a pretty harmless bunch.

Reactions: fairgambit
I have, to my knowledge, never met anyone who posts here. There are, perhaps, a dozen or so that I consider Board friends and would very much like to meet some day. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out, but I hope they know who they are. No GLOV, you are not on the list.:( Aw, I'm kidding. You would make the cut. :) Anyway, I've mentioned before that we had a family member who ran into a serious situation after agreeing to meet someone she met online and every since my wife has made it clear that she has no problem with me posting but would be very upset if I agreed to meet anyone, even in a group. I tried to tell her most here are harmless, but she reads some of the exchanges and thinks a few are escapees from a mental hospital.;) I asked her if she had changed her mind just about a month ago and she had not. I could probably force the issue, but I know she is concerned and will not.

Just let her read when we bust out the Kings English and she will forbid you to post here any more! ;)

Met Obli in person in Cleveland a few years back - had lunch and a nice chat. Friends with others here through Facebook and other forms of communication.

Reactions: Obliviax
I've recently learned tenerhallterror grew up in a house down the road... i drive by every day...

NO WAY! totally forgot about that until you posted this!! Next time I travel back, we will have to meet up . . .

btw, I know ericstraton and another poster. We watch the football games at the same place. and yes, ericstraton is as manly in real life as he is on the board.

There are some on here that seem like idiots, yet none have been dumb enough to track me down. Well that's not quite true. I met Westie in person to get some ND tickets LdN had in 2006/7 (?) when we played them in SB.

I actually met more folks through the fly fishing boards I used to frequent - probably bordering on double digits, maybe more.

I suspect there would be some surprises if more of us met. I think ILLINOISLION warned me about this as we casually floated the concept of meeting (because he golfs within 2 miles of my place). I'm not fundamentally opposed to meeting others in the right situation. The fly fishermen meet ups were all positive, and covered a range of personalities.
I chose not to go to a tailgate guys in the lions den were trying to organize a long time ago. I've semi-anonymously met a few posters since but I'm here to banter about PSU football, etc. I agree with illinoislion.

I have, to my knowledge, never met anyone who posts here. There are, perhaps, a dozen or so that I consider Board friends and would very much like to meet some day. I won't mention names for fear of leaving someone out, but I hope they know who they are. No GLOV, you are not on the list.:( Aw, I'm kidding. You would make the cut. :) Anyway, I've mentioned before that we had a family member who ran into a serious situation after agreeing to meet someone she met online and every since my wife has made it clear that she has no problem with me posting but would be very upset if I agreed to meet anyone, even in a group. I tried to tell her most here are harmless, but she reads some of the exchanges and thinks a few are escapees from a mental hospital.;) I asked her if she had changed her mind just about a month ago and she had not. I could probably force the issue, but I know she is concerned and will not.

I thought this was the mental hospital
crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

WestSideLion and I lived nearby on the UES years ago and would watch games together. We keep in touch.

Also met Ro at a watch party, which he mentioned.

I was one of the four or five of us who put the Rally 4 Resignations together. This means I met Dem, And DavidM and the person who put the 409 stickers together.

Probably some others, but I don't recall their names at this time.

LdN

I gave two UM-PSU tickets to fun160 and an old plotit poster (ScottE, actually, he ran the plotit board, I guess, with Tom) several (6-8) years ago.
We met at my tailgate in AA (fun was from Chicago and Scott from Lansing).
It was sorta weird, as those two used to really go at each other on another site (run by fun160), so I made them sit together lol.
Sadly, they both passed away at young ages a couple years ago.

I am also convinced that one or two of my old college buddies are on here, and sometimes I try to guess who they are. But we never talk about boards when we get together.

oh ya, I thought I knew who tong-bob the germaphobe from Ann Arbor was, but came to the conclusion he was a different bob then the one I knew

Met Obli in person in Cleveland a few years back - had lunch and a nice chat. Friends with others here through Facebook and other forms of communication.
yep...a nice day.

I hooked up with Mainer after a game, which was nice. I went to HS with one other poster, who is also a former player, but don't want to reveal his/her name.

I am wary of post boards because it is easy to take things out of context (you know who I am talking about). I also, sometimes, push buttons on this and other boards just to stimulate conversation.

I've worked out of my home and on the road since 1991. At the time, very rare, but pretty common now. I love working out of my house but miss the water cooler chatter. So this takes the place. I also, often, spend hours upon hours reviewing and producing contracts. So the board is a nice distraction to travel and contracts and phone calls.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I would like to meet you... let's go get coffee

I've sold quite a few tickets to members and attended the Rally for Resignations and the Rally in the Valley. Dropped by one of Pelly's tailgates for a beer. Actually know anyone in person..............no. I just keep being "entertained" by a few on the board.

One thing that is worth noting in this thread is that there are two periods of this board:

Pre and Post Thread View

It was much more of a community pre the change IMO. Mainly because discussions would slide off the main board and posters wouldn't go on and on and on at eachother about the same topic.

Most of the relationships IMO date back to before the change.

LdN

Tom is a great guy - will second that opinion.

I met Victory E Bell at the horse track one time. I enjoyed my day, although I didn't win, and enjoyed meeting him. We shared a few beverages.

I have met PSUPelly at a home game, played golf with Marsh Creek Eagle, SJLuvsLions, DelcoLion, met LiondeNittany at a Penn State watch party in NYC, met West Side Lion at the same watch party, and also played golf with him, and met Cronk in Lincoln in 2003 at the Nebraska game. IllinoisLion gave me a ride to O'Hare after a Northwestern game in Evanston. I think we had planned golf, but the weather was not cooperative.

But, I guess that meeting people once or twice does not necessarily constitute "friends".

(ahem).
But don't worry about forgetting meeting me a couple times. I'll be ok. :oops:
Probably.
Sigh.

;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT