ADVERTISEMENT

How many of the "posters" are friends in the real world ?

I'm sold a pair of tickets to Happy John back before rivals... maybe in the plotit days. Grant Green knows my wife and the in laws, but we've never met.

I went to that to listen to the speeches. But I'm not friends IRL with most of my board friends (both here and Columbus Crew). There have been some exceptions, though. I go to Jackets games occasionally with one of my Crew board buddies and I know a couple more when I see them at games.

And, of course, as Big O has noted, we lived in the same dorm during our PSU days.

Part of the thing here is that I got on this board after 2011 and close to the time I gave up my season tickets, which I'd had since 1985 (I picked a good time!), so I'm not in Happy Valley much anymore--heck, had it not been for an unexpected business trip to Philly, I would not have been in PA at all in 2016 and it was only a PSU graduation (old friend's daughter) this spring that got us back in 2017.

I was looking at some Crew partial season tickets for next year. My son isn't old enough to be able to really sit through games yet, and I admittedly only know EPL rather than MLS, but the prices were fair enough for me to think it's something I'd like to get into.

I have met one member when he and his wife graciously invited me an my wife to their tailgate 2 years ago. I don't know any other posters however, a few may have known my father as he was a English teacher at Sharon High School in the 70's and 80's. He also taught Real Estate courses at PSU Shenango. So if you want to me me my wife and I are coming up for the Nebraska game so invite us to your tailgate.

If anyone wants to meet up for a drink or something, I got a place. You can make all the noise you want and no one will hear a thing. Fairgambit, you can bring your wife.

37b85942a296056ff474e58976dc8759.jpg

Where is this picture taken? Was this an orphanage at some point? I seem to remember this building when I was doing some genealogy work but can't remember any details..

Back to topic. Song remains the same and I were good friends throughout elementary and high school. I lost touch with him when he moved to another state in 79. One of his posts talked about growing up in the Hershey area. I asked him about it and we reconnected.

Oh, and I met Tom McAndrew once at Dan Connor's football game at Strath Haven.

not sure what i remember more -- how well Connor did in the game, or the two sig babes that were draped on either side of 'ro. ;)

was a good time

Reactions: LionJim
I was at a HS football game one year and started talking to the person next to me. The opposing team had a player PSU was after .... Discussion turned to recruiting, PSU Football, BWI .... it was Tom McAndrew. Made my night! He is even better in person.

I remember it very well. It was a surprise to run into someone on the board who had gone to the game for the same reason as me -- to observe the PSU recruit.

I'm pretty sure I purchased a PSU football parking pass off of you several years later.

Reactions: Sharkies
I gave two UM-PSU tickets to fun160 and an old plotit poster (ScottE, actually, he ran the plotit board, I guess, with Tom) several (6-8) years ago.
We met at my tailgate in AA (fun was from Chicago and Scott from Lansing).
It was sorta weird, as those two used to really go at each other on another site (run by fun160), so I made them sit together lol.

Good old Scott Eisensmith. He hosted the message board that this board emigrated from a long time ago.

Before Scott hosted the message board and the PSU Recruiting Site on the plotit server, he had taken over the PSU football listserve that Fun, myself, and Scott were members of. This message board, after I moved it to BWI's site, kept me so busy that I ended up dropping out of the listserve. I don't know all the details, but at some point after I left the listserve, Fun did take over the listserve.

...I had the pleasure of discussing wrestling witH TomMc a few years ago ... recounting some of my old experiences with Doc Speidel, Ridge Riley, Tor Toretti and Doc Light made me realize how much water has gone under the bridge since then...

that was a great time. androcles is a walking encyclopedia of PSU wrestling. I could have talked with him for hours. If any of you ever get the chance to talk PSU wrestling with androcles, you should take advantage of the opportunity.

Hope we can chat again before a wrestling meet next season.

not sure what i remember more -- how well Connor did in the game, or the two sig babes that were draped on either side of 'ro. ;)

was a good time
I also went to a Connor/Strath Haven game though I forget who they played. He was all over the field on both sides of the ball. Kids like him are so obviously great. I thought the same thing, even more so, when I saw Willie 'Flipper' Anderson playing for Paulsboro NJ High many years ago. He was amazing.

MaconNitt and I share season tix for football and hockey and he is a brother from another mother to me. We also got to meet and tailgate with the wonderful duo of NovaPSULuvr and psunovaluvr. MaconNitt and myself have also shared Boursin cheesesteaks with the inimitable TomMcA.

Two guys that make a great cheesesteak. I was doubtful that Boursin cheese would work on a cheesesteak. But I took a chance, and my taste buds were rewarded.

rudedude, are you still able to eat cheesesteaks, or have you had to drop that from your diet after the heart surgery?

Reactions: MaconNitt
Haven't met Tom yet, but expect to do so when we sit down face-to-face for the Moderator job interview!
What? You're not a mod yet?:confused: Not even a double secret one? I attributed the reduction in the troll population to your direct intervention. Hmmm.

What? You're not a mod yet?:confused: Not even a double secret one? I attributed the reduction in the troll population to your direct intervention. Hmmm.

Apparently at my age there's a lot of background to check in my background check. My sources have Tom currently investigating rumors I was involved in the strategic planning of KU's goal line 6-3-3 defense way back in the 1969 Orange Bowl!

Hope you're recovering from your Nevada-Ariz adventure, thanks for keeping us posted while you roasted.

Reactions: fairgambit
Apparently at my age there's a lot of background to check in my background check. My sources have Tom currently investigating rumors I was involved in the strategic planning of KU's goal line 6-3-3 defense way back in the 1969 Orange Bowl!

Hope you're recovering from your Nevada-Ariz adventure, thanks for keeping us posted while you roasted.
Well, if he doesn't appoint you soon I am going to demand my money back! The fact that it's a free board is a mere technicality.
Ah, the trip has left us with many great memories. We are back to normal and already planning our next adventure. I keep hearing about how great Pittsburgh is. Perhaps we'll spend some time there.:)

Well, if he doesn't appoint you soon I am going to demand my money back! The fact that it's a free board is a mere technicality.
Ah, the trip has left us with many great memories. We are back to normal and already planning our next adventure. I keep hearing about how great Pittsburgh is. Perhaps we'll spend some time there.:)

Ha - The only time I was Normal is when I visited Illinois State University! Almost went to school there before KU begged me to come to Lawrence! :rolleyes:

True story: my Dad found out he was getting promoted & transferred from Chicago to NYC 48 hours before I left for my freshman year at KU. If that had happened a few months earlier I might have ended up in Happy Valley.

Thinking back to Ranger Dan's post a few days ago and the various responses, lots and lots of decisions and forks in the road as we all evolve into who we are, what we are and where we are as we journey through our respective lives.

Met a few Penn Staters at a Pelly tailgate. I remember meeting Phillyfan there, who hasn't posted in years. Napanit and I talked about meeting up for a beer someday. We let time get away from us and shockingly he passed. Saw Cronk at the Bowl game in Orlando against Auburn. Man that game sucked. Still is the only game that I've taken to son to. Hopefully will take him to the Play Off game this year, when we finally beat USC

?!?!?!?

How would i know you're not FOS??[/QUOT
My buddy coached at Warren JFK and Jim Coates gave him the tickets because he was not able to go to the game, even though he was an Alabama fan. Before, during, and after the game we were talking to people around us, but we were talking mostly to a guy behind us. I asked him if he was on BWI because he was bringing up a lot of stuff that has been brought up on BWI, and he said yes, and told me he went by massimoManca. Not making this up.

Two guys that make a great cheesesteak. I was doubtful that Boursin cheese would work on a cheesesteak. But I took a chance, and my taste buds were rewarded.

rudedude, are you still able to eat cheesesteaks, or have you had to drop that from your diet after the heart surgery?
I can have one, but I just limit the frequency. My new regime allows me that luxury.

I was looking at some Crew partial season tickets for next year. My son isn't old enough to be able to really sit through games yet, and I admittedly only know EPL rather than MLS, but the prices were fair enough for me to think it's something I'd like to get into.
You have that new team down in Cincy that might be more fun/closer/cheaper, though the quality of play is generally not as good as MLS overall. They have some nice kids activities there too. But I do enjoy the Crew. Mrs KG and I have had season tickets for some years now.

Coolestfish and I met up for a PSU game in Vegas a few years ago.
He was really late. I told him to meet us at Planet Hollywood and he calls me from the Hard Rock to find out where I was. I think he was clubbing late the night before.
When did Penn State play in Vegas, and how did they manage to do it inside Planet Hollywood?

Reactions: Sharkies
Ednit, who is an occasional poster, and I are friends going back to the late 1980's. I was the best man at his wedding. He does not post here much, but he did recently and that reminded me.

pnnylion has met many like-minded individuals here.

pnnylion would regularly kick the crap out of "SkunkBear" who would make up all sorts of silly nonsense about peoples wives divorcing them, people shitting themselves, and hiding "behind peoples houses". The idiot has been MIA since February on the Wolv. He's either in a home or jail.

pnnylion would regularly kick the crap out of "SkunkBear" who would make up all sorts of silly nonsense about peoples wives divorcing them, people shitting themselves, and hiding "behind peoples houses". The idiot has been MIA since February on the Wolv. He's either in a home or jail.
Come on, pnny. This is you posting about yourself.:cool:

I have met PSUPelly at a home game, played golf with Marsh Creek Eagle, SJLuvsLions, DelcoLion, met LiondeNittany at a Penn State watch party in NYC, met West Side Lion at the same watch party, and also played golf with him, and met Cronk in Lincoln in 2003 at the Nebraska game. IllinoisLion gave me a ride to O'Hare after a Northwestern game in Evanston. I think we had planned golf, but the weather was not cooperative.

Oh, and I met Tom McAndrew once at Dan Connor's football game at Strath Haven.

But, I guess that meeting people once or twice does not necessarily constitute "friends".

I remember those rounds, 'ro, and regret that we couldn't keep that going, I enjoyed that very much. If you recall, we ran into each other at Valley Forge for the PSU road show with Joe giving the speech.

Not sure Tom McA remembers but I did meet him and others at a get-together before a HS game at Billy Cunningham's in Conshohocken and met Bernie and some others at an O'Hara game. Haven't seen Bernie post around here in a long, long time. I admired Bernie, wish he was back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT