ADVERTISEMENT

HOW GOOD WAS THE OLINE TONITE

For what may be the first time in CJF's tenure, i thought the oline played a really mature consistent, even dominating game tonight.

Really glad to see it

Reactions: EPC FAN
Pass blocking was very good- gave Trace lots of time. I can recall several plays where he was able to look off the primary target to another receiver.

Reactions: BBrown
OL surrendered 1 sack, racked up 202 yds against the #1 rushing D and protected a QB that went 12/12 on 3rd down. PSU's offense doubled what Washington's 8th overall in team D gives up in total yards and points.

This was absolutely huge for the program with 4/5 starters back and what the depth looks like on OL moving forward.

OL surrendered 1 sack, racked up 202 yds against the #1 rushing D and protected a QB that went 12/12 on 3rd down. PSU's offense doubled what Washington's 8th overall in team D gives up in total yards and points.

This was absolutely huge for the program with 4/5 starters back and what the depth looks like on OL moving forward.
Our line seems to perform best against supposed #1 Defenses (Mich). Maybe just tell them the guy in front of them is #1 each game?

Pass blocking was very good- gave Trace lots of time. I can recall several plays where he was able to look off the primary target to another receiver.
They seemed to only rush 3 a lot and Sanders made a lot of key blitz pickups from what I could see.

Reactions: harjeff
Funny, I wasn't as enamored with the OL as you guys were. I thought they were good, and as good as they've been all year. But that was a low bar for me. I wouldn't use the word phenomenal. They were good, but Trace made them look even better.

Still lots of improvement to come there. 2 years away from a potential Top 10 OL.

Our line seems to perform best against supposed #1 Defenses (Mich). Maybe just tell them the guy in front of them is #1 each game?

I honestly think the issue with the OL the past 2 years has really been as basic as continuity. We've started so many combos on the OL the past 2 years (something like 19 different combos in 27 games) due to injury and trying to find the best spot for young guys to feel comfortable. The staff has done an excellent job with more time to prepare and this extra month of bowl practice was huge not only for this game but moving forward. Should be a huge shot of confidence for McGovern, Fries, Gonzo, Wright and Bates moving forward.

Nice to get Bates back but it appeared that everyone stepped up their game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT