ADVERTISEMENT

Hodge Trophy Fan Voting

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
starts on Monday, 3/25, at 5 pm CST. Ashnault, Yianni, Bo, and Jason are your finalists

CLICK HERE to vote

The deadline for your vote is this Friday, March 29, at 5:00 pm CST.

Reactions: danoftw
Ok, all you folks who think Jason an Bo should share the award, which will you vote for, or will you NOT vote and take a chance that by NOT voting, Yianni wins the fan vote?

Ok, all you folks who think Jason an Bo should share the award, which will you vote for, or will you NOT vote and take a chance that by NOT voting, Yianni wins the fan vote?

I would hope that whoever is responsible for the fan voting will offer it as an option. Given the opportunity to vote for Jason or for Bo or for both as co-winners, I'll vote for both.

I would hope that whoever is responsible for the fan voting will offer it as an option. Given the opportunity to vote for Jason or for Bo or for both as co-winners, I'll vote for both.
Not the way it works, though guessing you know that. Can vote multiple times, if similar to past voting...just vote equal numbers for Jason and Bo :).

I'm glad it isn't me picking the winner. I honestly have no idea who I would rather have win this year. First time it has ever happened for me. Please just split the thing.

Reactions: diggerpup
Voting is now open. Ashnault, Yianni, Bo and Nolf are the finalists. Too bad there's not a fifth option, as Cassar with a 30-1 record (only one 1-point loss to White) and a 70+% bonus rate (better than both Yianni and Ashnault) is equally deserving to be on that list.

Just seen they opened voting. Obviously a tough choice between Nickal and Nolf. In the end, one of the criteria is heart, Nolf won a NC last year after coming back from an injury that put him out of competition for how long. For everything else being pretty much equal, that sets him apart from Nickal IMO.

Reactions: diggerpup
Current vote count for The Hodge. Nolf needs some more support!

Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers (149 lb.)
3%

Yianni Diakomihalis, Cornell (141 lb.)
2%

Bo Nickal, Penn State (197 lb.)
68%

Jason Nolf, Penn State (157 lb.)
27%

Just seen they opened voting. Obviously a tough choice between Nickal and Nolf. In the end, one of the criteria is heart, Nolf won a NC last year after coming back from an injury that put him out of competition for how long. For everything else being pretty much equal, that sets him apart from Nickal IMO.
Events that occurred last year don't factor into this year's award.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
It's like voting for a favorite between your two kids....can I select two?

I personally hope it is a tie and that Bo and Jason both share the Hodge trophy. I believe each of these guys are so selfless and love their teammate to the point that Jason would want Bo to win it ahead of himself and Bo would want Jason to win it ahead of himself too. Two of the most dominant wrestlers on one of the most dominant wrestling teams in any 4 year stretch. The one reason that I felt bad about MyMar losing in the semi-finals and not winning 184 this year is that Bo would have been able to claim he beat two two timers for two of his Nattys and lost one to a two timer for his other. I do not know if any other wrestler out there can say that.

The Hodge is about dominance and it's too close to call based on results this year. So if I'm forced to choose I will look back over their entire body of work. The only meaningful separator I can find goes to Bo for Teching or Pinning 9 top 10 wrestlers compared to Jason's 5. I think you can also give a slight plus for Bo dominating two weight classes.

Reactions: PSUoh90
This seems like the perfect thread to post some Nickal/Nolf stats. (Roar, please double check the dominant #s. I think I got the formula right)

Nolf
31-0
15 falls, 1 mf, 5 tf, 6 md, 4 dec
Dominant score: 5.04
Avg match time: 4:55
Only offensive points given up: 5 tds, 4 rev
16 matches vs 2019 NQs
9 matches vs 2019 AAs
For the matches that didnt end early, he got riding time in all except 1st Berger match and Hidlay.
He drew 7 stalling points and 2 penalties

Nickal
30-0
18 falls, 3 tf, 6 md, 3 dec
Dominant score: 5.2
Avg match time: 4:04
Only offensive points given up: 1 td
18 matches vs 2019 NQs
5 matches vs 2019 AAs
For the matches that didnt end early, he got riding time in all except final against Moore.
He drew 6 stalling points and 2 penalties

So my conclusion, flip a coin. They both deserve it. (Actually, I think I'll put in some votes for Nolf since he's losing.)

Reactions: goStanford18
This seems like the perfect thread to post some Nickal/Nolf stats. (Roar, please double check the dominant #s. I think I got the formula right)

Nolf
31-0
15 falls, 1 mf, 5 tf, 6 md, 4 dec
Dominant score: 5.04
Avg match time: 4:55
Only offensive points given up: 5 tds, 4 rev
16 matches vs 2019 NQs
9 matches vs 2019 AAs
For the matches that didnt end early, he got riding time in all except 1st Berger match and Hidlay.
He drew 7 stalling points and 2 penalties

Nickal
30-0
18 falls, 3 tf, 6 md, 3 dec
Dominant score: 5.2
Avg match time: 4:04
Only offensive points given up: 1 td
18 matches vs 2019 NQs
5 matches vs 2019 AAs
For the matches that didnt end early, he got riding time in all except final against Moore.
He drew 6 stalling points and 2 penalties

So my conclusion, flip a coin. They both deserve it. (Actually, I think I'll put in some votes for Nolf since he's losing.)
Bo seems to have the slight edge based upon those stats

I would agree with others that Nolf had tougher competition though. Really tough call.
Bo had two more matches against 2019 national qualifiers and just one less match against 2019 AAs. I would say that the competition was at most a draw.

You can vote more than once. Just use a different email address. Ah, democracy and internet duplicity.

I'm sure many of the salty non-psu type feel Jason shouldn't have advanced to the finals.
I have watched that sequence 50 times and other than assuming Jason must have somehow raised his hips up off the mat immediately prior to Hidley getting his second hand on Jason I still can't figure out what they saw from a presumed different angle to make them reverse that call. However, there would have been 4 minutes to wrestle so it is difficult to imagine Nolf still diesn't win.
However, it still seems a bit more than silly. One is a 3 timer who bonused almost everybody and the other is a one timer who bonused a few opponents. Imagine the two wrestling each other I picture Ashnault having as much success as Micah.
Oh well, it is obvious Bo is the choice of the fans.

Bo also has the wow moments, no fan, regardless of what team you root for will forget the "THAT'S WHAT WE DO!" speech after getting off your back, pinning your opponent for your own and team national title (in the closest team race ever I think)

Reactions: lionlover
Spoiler Alert: I voted for Bo, and he had a pretty large lead at the time.

Ash 21%
Nolf 20%

The winner of the fan vote gets two 1st place votes. As such, it's unlikely to be the different maker in the decision. That said, it's hard to objectively look at Ash and Nolf, and conclude that Ash should be ahead of Jason in the voting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT