ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

Believe me, I'm not complaining and I'm fine with him if he scores points for PSU and is a decent citizen. Just pointing out that he doesn't appear to have a typical PSU philosophy, although I'm guessing even a few months in our room will adjust that to some degree.
no he's not going to change his style. he's a classic cmu guy. they used to produce guys like him frequently with giant long legs who were brutal on top with boots and average on their feet. ben bennett and sentes were the best of that group. hildebrandt is a throwback to that style. he won't light up the scoreboard, but he'll win matches.

Reactions: AndEEss
If he’s in town and in the room, Hildebrandt will get enough reps with Gilman, Howard and RBY to be ready to go in January without going to the Scuffle.

Also: I’m excited to see Robbie Howard next year. If you follow him on social media, he’s not just going to class and getting fat. He’s in the room, and I think he was REALLY close to being an AA last year. If the ref actually calls that illegal full, he’s a hard out for anyone but Spencer.
Omg. That was an absolute travesty missing that Full. There’s a reason they aren’t allowed and sadly Howard got the unfair lesson. And the ref got to keep reffing.
wait where did this full nelson thing come from? i just rewatched the match to be sure, but mckee never did anything close to a full nelson. his off hand was on a thigh pry when he turned and pinned him. not even close.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I never suggested that he would or should change his style, simply that he might become a little more inclined to set up and take an offensive shot when it's there. I presume that the Nittany Lion room may encourage scoring and offense more than the CMU room or many others and it would surprise me if it doesn't effect the guys who are in the room practicing with the likes of RBY. I don't expect Jason Nolf, but I'd like to see all of PSU's wrestlers with the confidence to take a shot when it's there.

no he's not going to change his style. he's a classic cmu guy. they used to produce guys like him frequently with giant long legs who were brutal on top with boots and average on their feet. ben bennett and sentes were the best of that group. hildebrandt is a throwback to that style. he won't light up the scoreboard, but he'll win matches.

It's kind of ironic that the man that has had more wrestlers jump into his arms after winning NCAAs in the last 10 years than anyone else (C. Cunningham) is a) a CMU graduate and b) won NCAAs 2-0 with 0 TDs in the final. Penalty point and an escape. Against a PSU wrestler, no less.

You could argue that Starocci didn't quite fit the mold for much of last year, too.
That has been true with many wrestlers under Cael and company. David Taylor came to PSU as an incredible mat wrestler but Cyler & Bubba both schooled him from neutral but the next year he schooled everyone from neutral and the mat except for a momentary lapse in the NCAA finals.

Damn CMU produced his giant long legs…i guess i should have went there to get some more inches vertically.

I never suggested that he would or should change his style, simply that he might become a little more inclined to set up and take an offensive shot when it's there. I presume that the Nittany Lion room may encourage scoring and offense more than the CMU room or many others and it would surprise me if it doesn't effect the guys who are in the rooni m practicing with the likes of RBY. I don't expect Jason Nolf, but I'd like to see all of PSU's wrestlers with the confidence to take a shot when it's there.
And here I was under the impression that there WAS no typical Penn State style, except simply winning matches all the time.

The Penn State style that I've enjoyed most through the years, is our wrestlers losing occasionally to top seeds during the season when it doesn't matter and winning in the postseason when it does.
I always love how Cael makes sure we send out our best Possible team cone tournament time

Reactions: Lovethissport
That has been true with many wrestlers under Cael and company. David Taylor came to PSU as an incredible mat wrestler but Cyler & Bubba both schooled him from neutral but the next year he schooled everyone from neutral and the mat except for a momentary lapse in the NCAA finals.
lol what mold,cael lets them be themselves as wrestlers he just makes them better at what they do!!

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Is hildabrandt going to wrestle in the national duels or southern scuffle?
From my understanding, he can't wrestle officially until the second semester, which would be after the new year. Someone else might know when that starts. If I am correct on the timeline, then we will not see him with the team in Florida. However, I believe he can wrestle in the scuffle unattached. Again, I do not know the specifics on dates, but that's what I gathered from the information I was told.

From my understanding, he can't wrestle officially until the second semester, which would be after the new year. Someone else might know when that starts. If I am correct on the timeline, then we will not see him with the team in Florida. However, I believe he can wrestle in the scuffle unattached. Again, I do not know the specifics on dates, but that's what I gathered from the information I was told.
I believe it has been established that it’s when the preceding semester ends, not when the semester starts. Otherwise CFB freshmen would regularly miss the first couple of weeks. IF Hildebrandt is enrolled (probably beyond World Campus), he would be eligible to compete on Monday.

Last edited:
I believe it has been established that it’s when the preceding semester ends, not when the semester starts. Otherwise CFB freshmen would regularly miss the first couple of weeks. IF Hildebrandt is enrolled (probably beyond World Campus), he would be eligible to compete on Monday.
To b fair, rules for college football and basketball are not always the same ones applied for everybody else.

2/3 against Ohio State ... opened with NATO then Spencer Lee then NATO again. Got a break with Maginnis then had Sebastian Rivera lol.
Yep, just drawing a correlation, though I have no idea if the situations are the same. Was he a grad transfer? Hilldebrandt is, right?

Yep, just drawing a correlation, though I have no idea if the situations are the same. Was he a grad transfer? Hilldebrandt is, right?
Hildebrandt is yes. I think he was accepted into school contingent on passing some prerequisite classes offered through World Campus.

Kuhn was at Boise State from 2014 to 2017 so I think he got his degree there but you never know. Being at a school for 4 years and not getting a degree is why Wick didn't get in lol.

2/3 against Ohio State ... opened with NATO then Spencer Lee then NATO again. Got a break with Maginnis then had Sebastian Rivera lol.

That's why it's important to get Hildebrandt as many matches in as possible. Seeded at #14 Kuhn had to face Nato in the 1st round. After that, it's pot luck who you might face in the wrestle backs.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I think he had free reign for immediate move because Boise St was dropping their program.

He can wrestle if he’s enrolled. It is in NCAA rule book. Immediately following end of the fall semester.
Yeah. I get that. I was just pointing out that because they can for football (or basketball) is not necessarily a very secure way to determine if any rule is applicable to any other sports.

The comments regarding Hildebrandt are how I feel about our 157 guys. Matches, matches, matches.

Based on the results and total match numbers we have at 157, unless there’s a drastic turnaround, I don’t see us qualifying the weight. Hildebrandt should be fine for top 5 at B1Gs, assuming he gets enough matches in during the regular season to have a good record and decent seed.

The comments regarding Hildebrandt are how I feel about our 157 guys. Matches, matches, matches.

Based on the results and total match numbers we have at 157, unless there’s a drastic turnaround, I don’t see us qualifying the weight. Hildebrandt should be fine for top 5 at B1Gs, assuming he gets enough matches in during the regular season to have a good record and decent seed.

a few wks ago al409 mentioned Indiana or Rutgers . I said is that when we see the 125lber. And he just liked the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT