ADVERTISEMENT

Hey mountain bikers.

rotzc

Jan 4, 2002
I have a chance to buy a new Trek Top Fuel 9.8 for $4500. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with this bike?

Don’t have a mountain bike, but I have a trek gravel bike and a hybrid bike before that. They are both really nice and the model you are looking at looks good. I think trek makes a quality product and having there own equipment brand makes it easy to do basic service yourself. The carbon frame is nice, considering the size of tires and suspension, that bike is light.

So we can assume Covid hasn’t impacted the chauffeur industry?
laughingcat.gif

Well, that’s a 29er. Have you ridden them? I haven’t but talked to people that have them. They ride different with a longer wheel base. Takes a bit more to turn, takes some effort in tight turns. But they ride smoother over bumps. If you haven’t ridden a 29er, borrow one or rent one for a day prior to purchasing.

I went from a 10+ year old 26" to a modern geometry 29er. It's quite a difference but at times feels like a cheat code on the rocky terrain where I ride. Steering is far less nimble and twitchy, the bike wants to flow more. But line choice is much less important, the larger wheels just roll over a lot of tech terrain that previously was more challenging. The right bike for you is all about the type of riding and terrain that you will do. Where I ride almost everyone is on 29ers because of the rocky stuff. I had thought that in general 29ers were more popular than 27.5" everywhere but that might simply be my local bias.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
I went from a 10+ year old 26" to a modern geometry 29er. It's quite a difference but at times feels like a cheat code on the rocky terrain where I ride. Steering is far less nimble and twitchy, the bike wants to flow more. But line choice is much less important, the larger wheels just roll over a lot of tech terrain that previously was more challenging. The right bike for you is all about the type of riding and terrain that you will do. Where I ride almost everyone is on 29ers because of the rocky stuff. I had thought that in general 29ers were more popular than 27.5" everywhere but that might simply be my local bias.

Absolutely right - if you're going to ride rocky singletrack, you can't beat a '29er. If rail trails, gravel, flow trails, etc - probably overkill. But to address OP's Q, the Fuel is a really good bike - 2 of my buddies ride them. Is that the price for a carbon? If so, outstanding.

I currently have a 29’er hard tail trek Marlin 7. I ride in Michaux. I live in mont alto. I just can’t decide on a XC or all mountain. The list on the TopFuel is $5500. Almost everyone here rides 29’ers.

Absolutely right - if you're going to ride rocky singletrack, you can't beat a '29er. If rail trails, gravel, flow trails, etc - probably overkill. But to address OP's Q, the Fuel is a really good bike - 2 of my buddies ride them. Is that the price for a carbon? If so, outstanding.
Carbon frame and tires. It’s loaded.

Maybe I am a cheap mfER but I can't see dropping that much on a bike. Granted I still ride a 26 year old Cannondale because I can't justify dropping that kind on money on a bike. I have a hard time with anything over $500. However, if I had the disposable income and time I would probably upgrade to s 29er because the older and fatter I get, the 26 year old bike gets uncomfortable and I probably should be doing endos anymore. :cool:

My current bike was around a $1000. I never in my life, would have believed a $1000 bike is considered junk. I ride with guys that have 10k bikes that’s why $4500 seems cheap.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My current bike was around a $1000. I never in my life, would have believed a $1000 bike is considered junk. I ride with guys that have 10k bikes that’s why $4500 seems cheap.
Was looking at a bike magazine and checked out ads near the back. There were rims that go for $1,000 each....not including the tire!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT