ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Proton Mail

Nittany Ziggy

Dec 10, 2003
Pittsburgh
My current personal e-mail is overwhelmed with spam. I am looking at new options and am leaning towards Proton Mail. Does anyone have any experience with this platform?

Not a ton, but it is encrypted and allows a good deal of anonymity if you want it. I view it as the TOR of email services. I think there’s a bit of a stigma that if you’re using Proton, you’re up to no good lol.

My current personal e-mail is overwhelmed with spam. I am looking at new options and am leaning towards Proton Mail. Does anyone have any experience with this platform?
First, what is your e-mail client?

Second, does this client permit you to control Spam?

Have you tried to "unsubscribe" from these emails (If legitimate the mail will stop)?

Just using another e-mail client will knot solve your problem.

Not a ton, but it is encrypted and allows a good deal of anonymity if you want it. I view it as the TOR of email services. I think there’s a bit of a stigma that if you’re using Proton, you’re up to no good lol.
If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

-- Klaus Schwab

I keep three emails. One for social media, like this site, one to purchase stuff (Amazon, Walmart, Rock Auto, local Thai place, etc), and one for banking, investments, and friends and family. If one starts getting out of control (usually the one I use to purchase stuff) I create a new email and slowly migrate those accounts I want to continue to use over to the new email. The ones that caused the ruckus never get my business again.

Oh, and don't let your wife use any of these emails or you'll be creating new emails weekly.

EDIT: I'm thinking about creating a 4th email for all travel related things like airlines, hotels, and all sorts of bookings. Occasionally one of these sites will start sending unwanted offers but the unsubscribe usually works well with this segment. However, there is a bit of crossover with credit cards so I'm not sure it'll work as intended.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT