ADVERTISEMENT

OT Genealogy Software

OKLionFan

Dec 18, 2021
AKB, Does anyone have any experience with genealogy software such as Ancestry.com? Any shared experiences either positive or negative much appreciated.

I received both Ancestry and 23 and Me for Christmas several years back. They both went straight into the trash. You're voluntarily giving up extremely private information to a 3rd party. 23 and Me was hacked and almost 7 million people had their info stolen.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I received both Ancestry and 23 and Me for Christmas several years back. They both went straight into the trash. You're voluntarily giving up extremely private information to a 3rd party. 23 and Me was hacked and almost 7 million people had their info stolen.
They already have that information, you're just paying if you want to see it or not. Not paying doesn't mean your info is any more or less protected unless you volunteer to give them more than they already have. Most of their info is scrubbed from public records so there's not a lot you can do to stop it unless you shut down access to all of that public info at the various sources, which is very difficult. For example, in many areas they won't remove you from the public tax rolls unless you have a valid reason such as being a public figure that requires increased privacy, a safety issue such as someone stalking you and you have a restraining order, etc.

Then despite your best efforts businesses that you almost have to interact with get hacked and your info gets out anyway, such as Experian getting exposed, medial providers, etc.. It's practically a futile effort at this point.

AKB, Does anyone have any experience with genealogy software such as Ancestry.com? Any shared experiences either positive or negative much appreciated.
I’m not an expert on this subject but there is a woman named Ce Ce Moore who works for a company called Parabon who uses these public genealogy databases to solve cold case crimes including several high profile cases in Pennsylvania. I also read recently that she has helped over one thousand people who were born from incest to learn about their circumstances. She is a remarkable person and it is a fascinating topic.

Reactions: Obliviax
Agree. Would not participate in those programs.

Like not sharing your email or phone, you just need someone with you in their phonebook to share and you're in their database already.

My aunt did it. My brother did it. They have my data like it or not.

Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it!

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. I’ve been doing ancestry research for over 30 years and used a ton of different resources. Happy to help you navigate if needed.

The two services I use the most are Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker (desktop software). The two synch and each have their benefits.

I’ve also done several DNA tests and can help you with that.

If you get more specific on what you’re trying to accomplish, I can probably provide better guidance.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. I’ve been doing ancestry research for over 30 years and used a ton of different resources. Happy to help you navigate if needed.

The two services I use the most are Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker (desktop software). The two synch and each have their benefits.

I’ve also done several DNA tests and can help you with that.

If you get more specific on what you’re trying to accomplish, I can probably provide better guidance.
Thanks for the offer. I’m just interested in my paternal ancestors for a few generations, and it’s more curiosity than important. I’m not real proficient with the use of the forum. Is there a way to contact you privately through this platform?

My mom(now 76) spent some time on ancestry and got several generations back...learned some things and some potential "oddities" among my dad's relatives. They do a pretty good job offering hints and data pieces, such as census records. If you're curious, I think it's worth a few months of the subscription fee.

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
My mom(now 76) spent some time on ancestry and got several generations back...learned some things and some potential "oddities" among my dad's relatives. They do a pretty good job offering hints and data pieces, such as census records. If you're curious, I think it's worth a few months of the subscription fee.
The biggest issue is that you need to verify everything. Many people rely too much on the hints and once you have a bad link, you’re screwed.

Reactions: ikS
I have used 23andMe, and it works well for me. It's software identified almost exactly where my grandparents from Italy were born. As far as any privacy concerns, big tech worries me far more.

I have used 23andMe, and it works well for me. It's software identified almost exactly where my grandparents from Italy were born. As far as any privacy concerns, big tech worries me far more.
Agreed on that. The DNA concerns will soon be like trying to not use credit/debit cards and going off the grid. You almost cannot function as someone who only uses cash.

The biggest issue is that you need to verify everything. Many people rely too much on the hints and once you have a bad link, you’re screwed.
can't speak to that part. nothing is perfect I suppose. A 'hint' is not meant to be perfect. Ancestry has less ability to verify the family details of an individual that that individual. Best of Luck!

Be careful. A buddy did 23 and me, which links to those resources as well. Suddenly started getting contacts from potential relatives. Learned he was an ivf product of an extremely prolific donor out of usc. Some people aren’t actually interested in learning that stuff

Reactions: dailybuck777
Be careful. A buddy did 23 and me, which links to those resources as well. Suddenly started getting contacts from potential relatives. Learned he was an ivf product of an extremely prolific donor out of usc. Some people aren’t actually interested in learning that stuff
I agree, but just to be clear, you can subscribe to Ancestry.com for research without participating in their DNA services. Even then, I always warn people that I do work for, watch what you wish for. There are many secrets hidden that Ancestry research can uncover. I also tell people that our ancestor's past doesn't dictate our future.

I agree, but just to be clear, you can subscribe to Ancestry.com for research without participating in their DNA services. Even then, I always warn people that I do work for, watch what you wish for. There are many secrets hidden that Ancestry research can uncover. I also tell people that our ancestor's past doesn't dictate our future.
Understood

Either way I don’t play as I’m adopted. As to my adoptive family, I can take 1/4 back to 1600s England, 1/4 to austro Hungarian empire ukraine, one to pre wwii Croatia, and one unknown in Ukraine. Not sure I’ll learn much on the last three short of church records

Reactions: Wandering Spectator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT