ADVERTISEMENT

Herbstreit: "PSU has no chance".

How can they make such a certain prediction? Michigan is totally untested and their ability is unknown. The best team they have played is Rutgers. All the rest were total cupcakes. Michigan might be great or they might be lousy. There is no way to know.

How can they make such a certain prediction? Michigan is totally untested and their ability is unknown. The best team they have played is Rutgers. All the rest were total cupcakes. Michigan might be great or they might be lousy. There is no way to know.
The advantage generally lies with the team that is battle tested. Penn State is more battle tested than Michigan. Home field also helps.

Wow. Across-the-board the experts say no.

Meanwhile, line now at 2.5.

The logic is simple - We have a great defense and a mediocre offense. They have a great offense and a great defense.

We have very little chance, but it’s non-zero.

Reactions: NedFromYork
This boards naiveness never ceases to amaze me. This is essentially the same Michigan team that beat our asses last year. You think Drew Allar and Coach Franklin are suddenly Tom Brady and Bill Belichick?

This boards naiveness never ceases to amaze me. This is essentially the same Michigan team that beat our asses last year. You think Drew Allar and Coach Franklin are suddenly Tom Brady and Bill Belichick?
You must have forgotten about the Michigan players who graduated and/or turned pro after last year oh “wise one”.

This is far from the same Michigan team. They replaced multiple OL, DL players. They have not run the ball as effectively as last year to date. Corum has maybe 100 yards more than Allen while Edwards seems to be slumping worse than Singleton. JJ is supposedly a Heisman candidate and his stats are nearly the same as Allar's.

These stats could be deflated because of their defense and having had big leads in almost every game.

I am not predicting a win because until Franklin pulls it off, I just can't go out on a limb today.

Until we start regularly beating these teams (OSU and Michigan) this is the treatment we’re going to get from the so-called experts. IMO, if Allar plays well today we have at least 50/50 chance. Certainly far more than “no chance.”

Today is a no win situation for Penn State. Michigan is playing angry. The are motivated like never before.
One of 2 things will absolutely happen.
- we lose, and it’s Michigan is great and nothing can bring them down.
- we win and it’s “Michigan simply had too many distractions to overcome and Penn State caught them at the right time.”

I think even most Penn State fans don't believe we're going to win
Most experts are picking against us
Every line I see is 4.5...where can I get 2.5?

Reactions: manilion
Today is a no win situation for Penn State. Michigan is playing angry. The are motivated like never before.
- we win and it’s “Michigan simply had too many distractions to overcome and Penn State caught them at the right time.”
I'll still take the win and don't care how anyone tries to minimize it.
My only concern is we get destroyed. Win or a close loss and I'm okay. Michigan does have extra motivation so Franklin better find a way to motivate us to another level.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
two key reasons why Penn State will not win today: 1) Franklin is a terrible motivator of team players and lacks the necessary preparation and mindset for big games, and 2) Allar is not playing like the #1 recruit from two years ago because he is not playing full field football which limits our running game and why his passes are consistently less than 10 yards.

Both of the above are effective against average teams but will be exposed when playing good teams. Our schedule to date has been weak.

Reactions: manilion
The OL is the key. If we don't run for at least 100 yards, we loose, plain and simple. I hope the staff has drilled this into our OL all week since we were totally embarrassed by UM last year.

If last years beating isn't motivation enough, nothing ever will be.
And is Franklin going to use that as motivation for the team? Really sell them on the reality that we got embarrassed last year? He should but I've never seem him do that or even heard of him doing that. He comes across to me as the guy that will preach "forget last year" and sell them on this opportunity unlike Smart or Saban.

And is Franklin going to use that as motivation for the team? Really sell them on the reality that we got embarrassed last year? He should but I've never seem him do that or even heard of him doing that. He comes across to me as the guy that will preach "forget last year" and sell them on this opportunity unlike Smart or Saban.

Perhaps in '17, after that '16 game, but I don't remember it being a public mantra.

Reactions: LandoComando
I hope you guys curb stomp the cheaters. One thing in your favor is that Herbstreit is one of the all times stupidest commenters on college football.

Unfortunately, will be a difficult task because even though I hate to admit it JJ is a really good quarterback. Hopefully he'll have a TCU game.

I keep hearing this about how they will be angry. Why is no one thinking about why Penn State players would be outraged and ready to destroy or blow someone up?

That may be true of Franklin but the players have pride and were totally embarrassed last year. It looked
like they were intimidated from the start of the game. This had to burn in their souls all year.

If this doesn’t anger them and motivate them then they are not top players.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSPMax
That may be true of Franklin but the players have pride and were totally embarrassed last year. It looked
like they were intimidated from the start of the game. This has to burn in their souls all year.

If this doesn’t anger them and motivate them then they are not top players.
I guess we'll see by how they come out today. Anything other than a strong start is problematic.

I keep hearing this about how they will be angry. Why is no one thinking about why Penn State players would be outraged and ready to destroy or blow someone up?
When is the last time we've seen at with this team?

I guess we'll see by how they come out today. Anything other than a strong start is problematic.
Absolutely agree. We can not start with a 3 and out, or a good drive that produces no points. The OL has to start blocking LB's. UM and OSU LB's have been stepping in the hole for years and stopping our RB's at the LOS or behind it.

Reactions: LandoComando
Michigan is certainly untested with their weak schedule so far this year. That said we know how they dominated PSU last year and they're returning most of their starters from last year's playoff team. We also know that they have dominated everybody they've played. Their closest game was 31-7 over Rutgers. You could also say that PSU has only be tested once (OSU) and they failed that test.

UM is the obvious favorite in this game but that doesn't mean PSU can't win. PSU beat OSU in 2016 when OSU had a clear talent advantage. OSU had 416 yds vs only 276 for PSU. They also dominated time of possession. But PSU got a big turnover and scored on a blocked kick. IMO that's the kind of thing they're going to need today and it's possible.

Absolutely agree. We can not start with a 3 and out, or a good drive that produces no points. The OL has to start blocking LB's. UM and OSU LB's have been stepping in the hole for years and stopping our RB's at the LOS or behind it.
PSU needs some misdirection plays. They also need to get Singleton in space. I can't imagine being able to dominate this game at the LOS.

PSU needs some misdirection plays. They also need to get Singleton in space. I can't imagine being able to dominate this game at the LOS.
I'm not sure why people keep thinking Singleton is the key. I'm not sure how anyone has any confidence in him right now. He's been a huge disappointment.

Their QB's ability to make plays with his feet is the difference. I hope I'm wrong, but I think UM wins easily today.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking Singleton is the key. I'm not sure how anyone has any confidence in him right now. He's been a huge disappointment.
PSU has exactly 1 proven WR and we're not likely to beat UM running between the tackles. So what's the solution? I think we have to get our best athletes in space and I think Singleton is a good athlete. Who else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT