ADVERTISEMENT

Headed to Iowa flight/airport recommendations

RLCookie

Mar 14, 2014
Dallastown PA
A group of us are heading to Iowa for the game. Going to fly out of BWI or possibly Dulles. What airports would be a reasonable drive (2-3 hours) to consider?

We can fly Spirit to Chicago but one of our group refuses to fly them after they cancelled one of his flights and refused to refund his money.

A group of us are heading to Iowa for the game. Going to fly out of BWI or possibly Dulles. What airports would be a reasonable drive (2-3 hours) to consider?

We can fly Spirit to Chicago but one of our group refuses to fly them after they cancelled one of his flights and refused to refund his money.

I wouldn't fly them either. Uncomfortable planes, lousy service. You can have problems with other airlines, but it seems like you always do on Spirit

I fly into Cedar Rapids Airport (Eastern Iowa Airport). Only about a 25 minute drive to Iowa City.

Reactions: 007Bulldog
Cedar Rapids is closest but Des Moines is another option on the west side. Chicago is a fairly long drive but doable. We did it in 2008 and caught the Bulls game on Friday night and Bears games on Sunday. Unfortunately, there aren’t any games in Chicago that weekend that would work.

The drive from midway wasn’t bad.

Be prepared, Iowa fans are the worst.

I live here in Iowa. I would recommend Cedar Rapids. Like others have stated: only a few minutes from Iowa City. It's a mid size airport.... very easy to get in and out of. Very nice airport for a small city. Des Moines would be a second option. A little further away, however, interstate all the way. Good luck and enjoy the game.

Unless you can get a direct flight to Des Moines (I did in 2013 for NCAA Wrestling Championships) fly to Chicago and rent a car. 3 hour drive to Iowa City. With a group the car rental and gas is really cheap.

I like the idea of getting in a few landmark visits while traveling to see the Nits play. Were heading to the Minnesota game this year. We are flying into Salt Lake and taking this route back to Minneapolis via Rapid City.​
Yellowstone-Mt.-Rushmore-Tour-Map.jpg

I'd recommend Eastern Iowa (Cedar Rapids), Quad Cities then Des Moines. I've never flown in/out of Quad Cities, but it looks like a decent airport. All will be fairly easy drives, but you're probably at a little less than 30 mins, 60 mins or 90 mins. Eastern Iowa's probably going to cost a little more. If you're willing to drive 3-4 hours one way then Chicago or even St. Louis would be options.

Nobody has mentioned Waterloo or Dubuque yet --- AA does serve both from O'Hare. They're probably expensive though. And it's still a drive of 1-2 hours to Iowa City.

Peoria and Madison are also 3 hour or less drives, and airports that have flights from a few more cities.

Nobody has mentioned Waterloo or Dubuque yet --- AA does serve both from O'Hare. They're probably expensive though. And it's still a drive of 1-2 hours to Iowa City.

Peoria and Madison are also 3 hour or less drives, and airports that have flights from a few more cities.
You can fly into Waterloo. I've checked prices many times and they are ALWAYS more expensive then Cedar Rapids. Dubuque is a GREAT small airport, however, I'm not sure of car rental and the drive is longer then Cedar Rapids.

I like the idea of getting in a few landmark visits while traveling to see the Nits play. Were heading to the Minnesota game this year. We are flying into Salt Lake and taking this route back to Minneapolis via Rapid City.​
Yellowstone-Mt.-Rushmore-Tour-Map.jpg
You should have a great trip..... only one problem. Don't trust this map, as both Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore are SOUTH of Rapid City (not north) ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT