ADVERTISEMENT

Haven’t watched Iowa. How are they top 5 based on schedule?

What an absurd post - why precisely would someone bet money with you at that spead when they can just as easily bet on PSU to win online with a much more attractive spread??? (whether he thinks Iowa sucks or not would have nothing to do with the rational decision of placing a bet with the best odds of winning - i.e., placing the bet where he is getting the most attractive line for PSU).
I would just bet straight up man to man ... who needs a gambling site if Iowa sucks so bad like this guy thinks. I'm not the one saying Iowa will blast the doors off of PSU. The only absurd posts around here are the ones predicting PSU to win 34-13 and stuff like that ... If you really think that, put your money where your "mouth" is, that is all.

Goodson is the only guy who worries me with Iowa
He is our biggest playmaker, no doubt. I would keep an eye on known TE LaPorta (#84) and little-known WR Johnson (#6) as well.

(The darkhorse playmaker is WR #16 though. He's sneaky fast, if you know what I mean.)

This is the last season for us playing Iowa every year. Next year we start with Illinois every season.
Good you get fat butt Brett who will have a better recruiting base with the biting Illini then he ever had at Wis where all he ever did was win.. Be fearful very fearful :) he also was a walk on at Iowa who became team capt so he has motor to succeed :)

Pretty safe bet ;-) ... I still think it could be 3 though, but likely 1 or 2.

Iowa has put the ball on the ground 6 times so far this season. Willing to bet they don’t have any on Saturday? Cuz I’m thinking it’s going to be a few.

With the exception of the interception, Clifford for the most part hasn't telegraphed his intentions, either with the pass or the run. I've always been impressed with his potential for the long run, but felt it had gotten overused to the point where the pass game suffered. He's seem to have put the two back to more of a balance (many times even looking down field before running) so that the offense was less predictable and he get much larger gaps to run if he chooses that. Other than continuing with this strategy for Iowas, maybe improved blocking by the TEs would be a big help.
And to all the PSU fans that look at Star ratings to determine quality of players on the current rosters. Here is a different metric to consider - Number of players on current NFL rosters - It indicates Iowa has 33 and PSU has 31 (so Iowa may not have as big a gap in talent as some are suggesting ... just a thought). It will be a hell of game Saturday night. Hope those that come to IC are treated well and have a good time.

Now google star ratings compared to team success in college. You are talking the outliers.

No doubt PSU beats Iowa when it comes to 4-star high school recruits,. Here is what Iowa brings as a starting lineup on defense:

DE - Van Valkenburg - 0 stars and DII transfer
DT - Van Ess - 3 stars
DT - Noah Shannon - 3 stars
DE - Joe Evans - 0 stars walk on
LB - Seth Benson - 2 stars
LB - Jack Campbell - 3 stars
Cash - Belton - 3 stars
CB - Moss - 2 stars
SS - Merriweather - 2 stars
FS - Koerner - 0 stars walk on
CB - Hankins 3 stars

Yep, none of them would really be considered 'Dudes' in HS. But somehow, someway they've matured and mixed together to become the #7 ranked defense (total defense) currently in the country.

And it's not like PSU hasn't seen a top 10 defense this year - they beat Wiscy (#3) in Madison 16-10 early this year. And it is of note that Iowa has also has seen a top 10 defense this year in Ames vs. Iowa State (#2).

With all due respect, I think Iowa has its own set of Dudes - there are a lot of All-Big players in that defensive lineup - and has seen quite a few other Dudes this year.

Iowa is probably not going to be awed or shell shocked - they know exactly who they are. Just some Dudes playing ball.

Peace.
This is an incredible post. The PSU D is mostly 4 stars, a few 3s, and at least one 5 star. Iowa clearly knows how to spot the kind of players who will thrive in its system. They train like crazy, they coach them into a system and they win football games.

When PSU beats Iowa, it's usually because PSU has a little more raw athletic ability. But Iowa's schemes are specifically designed to neutralize speed and force offenses to execute consistently and not cough up the ball.

Really Iowa is the closest thing these days to a Joe Paterno/Tom Bradley type defense.

This is an incredible post. The PSU D is mostly 4 stars, a few 3s, and at least one 5 star. Iowa clearly knows how to spot the kind of players who will thrive in its system. They train like crazy, they coach them into a system and they win football games.

When PSU beats Iowa, it's usually because PSU has a little more raw athletic ability. But Iowa's schemes are specifically designed to neutralize speed and force offenses to execute consistently and not cough up the ball.

Really Iowa is the closest thing these days to a Joe Paterno/Tom Bradley type defense.
It helps that they keep the grass in Kinnick 6" high.

My dislike for the state of Iowa is no secret but I must say, I get a kick out of your screen name. Well done.

There’s a story behind it. I was in college in 1989 and a fellow undergrad from the UK said there was no way cowtipping was a thing. Wouldn’t believe anything anyone said. One night, after many alcoholic beverages, we went to a field and gave it a shot. Turns out that it doesn’t happen and an enraged bull knocked my drunken butt into the next week. Two days later, our English friend gave me a t shirt emblazoned with the nickname, The Iowa Cowtipper. A couple of years later, it became my handle on rivals.

True story.

You mean the rubber pellets? I think the depth is correct though.
Oh yeah. They have that artificial crap in the corn belt. You would think with all the chemicals they dump on their soil they could grow grass. Oh well. I guess it is the depth of the rubber pellets they use, definitely you can see them spray around like nowhere else in college football.

Oh yeah. They have that artificial crap in the corn belt. You would think with all the chemicals they dump on their soil they could grow grass. Oh well. I guess it is the depth of the rubber pellets they use, definitely you can see them spray around like nowhere else in college football.
Good old sod is so much fun to play on in the rain even better when it is 25 degrees .

I think PSU will have its hands full at Iowa. They blew out Indiana early and manhandled Maryland. Iowa St. is a rivalry game (we didn't always win with style points vs Pitt). I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this one.
Iowa's a very good team, playing at home. I am not that worried about this turning into a blowout the other way because so far Penn State has shown a lot of mental toughness, especially on D. How many goal line stands and blocked field goals have we had so far? This defense concedes nothing. If we can limit turnovers I like our chances.

The model that looks only at wins and losses has Iowa as the #3 team in the country:

Iowa #3 with the #53 hardest schedule.
PSU #8 with the #84 hardest schedule.

Obviously it's pretty early in the season for this to be a great model, but it's an objective one that does have them in the top 5.

Colley doesn't use margin of victory. It treats a 3 point win in 2 OT the same as a 70 point shutout.

They weren’t spraying around in their last home game when they played Colorado State. I’ll be interested to see how many get dumped on the field Saturday. If they’re spraying around again, you know they do it only when they’re playing a faster team to slow them down (equivalent of not cutting the grass).

They weren’t spraying around in their last home game when they played Colorado State. I’ll be interested to see how many get dumped on the field Saturday. If they’re spraying around again, you know they do it only when they’re playing a faster team to slow them down (equivalent of not cutting the grass).
Adding pellets would actually make the surface faster (shorter turf blades).

Not trying to flame Iowa. I’m just not seeing how they are ranked so high based on their schedule to date. Usually teams with that schedule without the marquis brand (OSU, Bama, etc) are ranked bottom of the top 10 behind one loss SEC teams.
This is going to be an extremely tough game for PSU.. hoping Offense has been holding some things back for the heart of our Big10 schedule.,

This is going to be an extremely tough game for PSU.. hoping Offense has been holding some things back for the heart of our Big10 schedule.,
Why in the **** do people subscribe to this 'holding some things back' bullshit?

Wait to ruin it, luvmyhawks. I enjoy just browsing opponents talking amongst themselves.

I would just bet straight up man to man ... who needs a gambling site if Iowa sucks so bad like this guy thinks. I'm not the one saying Iowa will blast the doors off of PSU. The only absurd posts around here are the ones predicting PSU to win 34-13 and stuff like that ... If you really think that, put your money where your "mouth" is, that is all.
I think this will be a close game but would be surprised if PSU doesn't win.

They aren't intimidated by Kinnick (won 3 in a row there), they have better skill position players and a better defense (based on opponents).

I am amused by the Iowa blogs who think Iowa is going to win easily. I don't understand how they can think that, unless they haven't watched PSU play this year.

It seems nobody is talking about when iowa has the ball, only when penn state has the ball. How is Iowa going to move the ball when they are on offense and the ball sits at the iowa 20, not the penn state 35?

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Here is the way I see this playing out in a manner that we get screwed.

We lose a very close game to Iowa. We win rest of regular season games and play Iowa again in B1G Champ game…and beat them.

However, Iowa was a horrible loss between now and then, thus our win over Iowa in B1G is diminished in eyes of committee and we get placed 5th and out.

That being said. Screw that. Just win baby!!!

I think this will be a close game but would be surprised if PSU doesn't win.

They aren't intimidated by Kinnick (won 3 in a row there), they have better skill position players and a better defense (based on opponents).

I am amused by the Iowa blogs who think Iowa is going to win easily. I don't understand how they can think that, unless they haven't watched PSU play this year.
It would not shock me if PSU wins the game. It would surprise me a little though. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

"...they have better skill position players and a better defense (based on opponents)."

This is debatable, especially the statement about the defense. The offenses PSU have played aren't anything special. ISU and Maryland had pretty good offenses either before or after they played Iowa. I don't understand how you can think Wisconsin has anything but a terrible offense (I've watched every one of their games). Auburn and ISU comparable??? maybe (ISU screws the pooch on STs).

I haven't seen these Iowa blogs who think it will be an easy win, would love a link on it ... I've only seen people predicting 1 score games (usually 3 or 4 point differences). I think the consensus that I have seen is a tough close game down to the wire.

Here is the way I see this playing out in a manner that we get screwed.

We lose a very close game to Iowa. We win rest of regular season games and play Iowa again in B1G Champ game…and beat them.

However, Iowa was a horrible loss between now and then, thus our win over Iowa in B1G is diminished in eyes of committee and we get placed 5th and out.

That being said. Screw that. Just win baby!!!
Your scenario is possible. It is also possible that PSU pounds Iowa and essentially breaks their spirits. The go on to finish 9-3 but win the West. We beat them again in the championship game but PSU has one weird loss (let's say to MSU).

I could see them arguing to keep a 1 loss conference champion PSU out because they two Iowa wins don't look good in retrospect (although you'd think we'd get credit for OSU, UM and Auburn wins).

Just win out and it takes care of itself.

It would not shock me if PSU wins the game. It would surprise me a little though. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

"...they have better skill position players and a better defense (based on opponents)."

This is debatable, especially the statement about the defense. The offenses PSU have played aren't anything special. ISU and Maryland had pretty good offenses either before or after they played Iowa. I don't understand how you can think Wisconsin has anything but a terrible offense (I've watched every one of their games). Auburn and ISU comparable??? maybe (ISU screws the pooch on STs).

I haven't seen these Iowa blogs who think it will be an easy win, would love a link on it ... I've only seen people predicting 1 score games (usually 3 or 4 point differences). I think the consensus that I have seen is a tough close game down to the wire.
Maryland's offense is mediocre -- their stats were inflated by playing horrible teams (e.g. Howard).

Iowa St has been exposed fairly thoroughly as an average team.

Auburn has the best RB tandem in CFB.

PSU shut out Indiana (which Iowa did not do, despite a flurry of INTs to help them).

On offense, PSU's rushing stats are better than Iowa's (slightly) and significantly better for passing stats.

The blog I was referring to is the Black Heart Gold Pants. Listen to their most recent podcast if you are in the mood for an amazingly one sided (and detached from reality) analysis of the game.

Your scenario is possible. It is also possible that PSU pounds Iowa and essentially breaks their spirits. The go on to finish 9-3 but win the West. We beat them again in the championship game but PSU has one weird loss (let's say to MSU).

I could see them arguing to keep a 1 loss conference champion PSU out because they two Iowa wins don't look good in retrospect (although you'd think we'd get credit for OSU, UM and Auburn wins).

Just win out and it takes care of itself.
Don't think there will be any "break their spirit" type loss on Saturday night. I could see Iowa losing 1 other game but it wouldn't be anything to do with an earlier loss ... this team is focused and mentally tough. They went through a little bit of hell last year with the racial allegations and came out stronger by all accounts. This is a tight nit bunch.

Maryland's offense is mediocre -- their stats were inflated by playing horrible teams (e.g. Howard).

Iowa St has been exposed fairly thoroughly as an average team.

Auburn has the best RB tandem in CFB.

PSU shut out Indiana (which Iowa did not do, despite a flurry of INTs to help them).

On offense, PSU's rushing stats are better than Iowa's (slightly) and significantly better for passing stats.

The blog I was referring to is the Black Heart Gold Pants. Listen to their most recent podcast if you are in the mood for an amazingly one sided (and detached from reality) analysis of the game.
LOL on the Indiana comment ... they were down like 5 starters for your game and we already "broke the spirit" of their QB. 34-6 = 24-0 let's not be silly ...

Maryland will surprise you ... at least they had a pulse unlike Wisconsin on offense, come on ...

Auburn has a decent offense, good job on that (I do think you have a good defense), but you were home ... ISU has a very good offense too, best back in the nation actually in Hall (according to last year and this years pre-season hype) and we played them on the road (be like you playing Pitt on the road I would think).

Thanks for the heads up on the BHGP blog ... Tom Kakert of Hawkeye report does one with Chuck Long (google will get you to it). Take Care!

Of course. You're a homer. No shortage of them on this board either. Impossible to have an objective conversation about this game and you have vastly contributed to that. Homer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT