ADVERTISEMENT

Haven’t watched Iowa. How are they top 5 based on schedule?

Huh? What? 4-1 Auburn is going to be ranked much higher than 22 after their win over LSU @LSU.
You prove my point. You can bash Iowa's opponents so far and some Iowa people can bash Penn State's. Doesn't really matter does it? I think both programs respect the other and both have outstanding teams.

Let the game be decided on the field Saturday because when the ball kicks off, nobody will give a damn who either team played in the previous 5 weeks.

Reactions: richmin3 and Grass
You prove my point. You can bash Iowa's opponents so far and some Iowa people can bash Penn State's. Doesn't really matter does it? I think both programs respect the other and both have outstanding teams.

Let the game be decided on the field Saturday because when the ball kicks off, nobody will give a damn who either team played in the previous 5 weeks.

Ummmm..... Iowa's Offense is ranked dead last in Total Offense (and second to last in rushing YPC at 3.4 ypc), but all we've heard from the jabronis on this board is how bad PSU's Offense and OL are.... and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because they're such a complete team with an incredible OL..... blah, blah, blah. LMAO

I just took a look at Iowa's schedule. We are the only ranked team they will play all season! They will finish either 12 - 0 or 11 - 1 and are certain to play in the Big 10 title game. The Big 10 West is like the ACC Coastal except for Iowa. It is time for the Big 10 to do away with the two divisions and devise a way to have fair Big 10 schedules.

Far be it for me to offer an opinion here because I only played high school varsity football and therefore, don't know jack $hit relative to the board experts but IMO this is your typical Iowa Cockeye football team. Nothing more... nothing less. The only reason they're rankled so high is because Bama and Georgia aside, no other teams stand out. That includes us. More than one commentator agrees with this take. Go verify it yourself.

That said, I saw Fairyland 'gift' Iowa 14 points right off the bat. After that Mike Locksley's team had no fight left in them. I also know LSU stopped trying to run between the tackles against Auburn. I counted only one rushing attempt in the 2nd half! So for you experts who claim we're one dimensional, can't run the ball, yada yada yada that's situational football. The game comes down to personnel matchups. You exploit what's given to you and more often than not it aint pretty. You think Iowa cares about style points? Also in regard to our running game, I recall plenty of times our RBs were a half step of breaking the LOS only to be caught from the side by an ankle tackle. It seems they're not cutting back against the flow quick enough.

About last night. Allen came to town with a masterful game play. Prevent the big play. Make Clifford beat you with consistency. Guess what. It didn't work! And if not for our tight end whiffing on an easy block on a 4th and goal the score would've been 31-0. Pretty good against the #16 preseason rankled team in the country.

Speaking of preseason top 25 rankles, aside from Bama and Georgia the only accurate prognostications are Cincy, Iowa and the Coastal Carolina Chandeliers, which we were ranked behind. Now that ought to tell you something.

Thank you.

Reactions: Nitwit and ftlpsu
I just took a look at Iowa's schedule. We are the only ranked team they will play all season! They will finish either 12 - 0 or 11 - 1 and are certain to play in the Big 10 title game. The Big 10 West is like the ACC Coastal except for Iowa. It is time for the Big 10 to do away with the two divisions and devise a way to have fair Big 10 schedules.
Fair is not a word to use when discussing anything Big 10 related. I can only imagine what our schedule would look like in a wide open format. We could certainly continue our 11 year in a row streak of opening our conference play on the road….that’s “fair” according to the Big.

Reactions: Option Bob
Ummmm..... Iowa's Offense is ranked dead last in Total Offense (and second to last in rushing YPC at 3.4 ypc), but all we've heard from the jabronis on this board is how bad PSU's Offense and OL are.... and how Iowa is going to "expose PSU" because they're such a complete team with an incredible OL..... blah, blah, blah. LMAO
You're referencing a pretty simple, non-asshole reply by me but you choose to go the other way. That's fine. Again, not making any predictions about next Saturday other than it will all be decided on that day who the better team was that day. On the other hand, you have a big PSU win already in the books and looking to the game beyond. That's cool.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I think PSU will have its hands full at Iowa. They blew out Indiana early and manhandled Maryland. Iowa St. is a rivalry game (we didn't always win with style points vs Pitt). I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this one.

I'm sure we will have our hands full with Iowa. We had our hands full with Wisky and AU too and won. They sort of manhandled three teams but they only had a 10 point win against CO ST a 1-3 team. It seems they are very good at turning over the ball, if we don't turn it is going to be a rock fight again. I like our chances in rock fights we are getting pretty good at winning those.

Reactions: icu81222
Did u see psu's third down % and rushing stats on the telecast last night? Both near the bottom of the B1G. Don't be a hack

In a “normal” year, no we wouldn’t be top 3 or 4 right now, but this year…..who deserves to be ranked higher than us right now outside of Bama and Georgia? Every team has their warts and nobody looks like a top 3 team. If someone wanted to, they could even bring up Georgia’s lackluster performance against a Clemson team that’s turning out to be not so good and Bama’s squeaker against a Florida team that just lost to KY. So based on the “eye test” maybe we don’t look like a top 3 team, but based on our resume, we do.

Florida should be higher than us I’ve been told.

I'm sure we will have our hands full with Iowa. We had our hands full with Wisky and AU too and won. They sort of manhandled three teams but they only had a 10 point win against CO ST a 1-3 team. It seems they are very good at turning over the ball, if we don't turn it is going to be a rock fight again. I like our chances in rock fights we are getting pretty good at winning those.
It will be a defensive dogfight on Saturday. Both teams' strength is having a great defense while it appears offense concerns are there for both teams also.

Iowa's win vs. Colorado State was not at all impressive. We trailed at the half. Just a bad sluggish performance. Still not sure what to make of that game.

Reactions: psu00
Have you all looked at Iowa's opponents and who they played? LOL......CSU 1 Win vs. Toledo---losses to teams we would blow out. ISU's 3 wins lol vs. UNI, Kansas and UNLV both have 0 WINS!

We have played a much better schedule.

Maryland is a joke.

I cant wait for Saturday!

Did u see psu's third down % and rushing stats on the telecast last night? Both near the bottom of the B1G. Don't be a hack

LMAO, and fairly typical of the douche-wads on this board... Guess what moron, Iowa's "3rd Down Conversion Rate" is worse than ours (they are second worse in b1g converting only 25 of 69 attempts), so what do you make of that Genius? Again LMAO!!!

Guess what, it's even worse if you include 3rd & 4th Down Conversions... Iowa is 27 of 74 (36%). PSU is 27 of 71 on 3rd & 4th Conversion Attempts (38%). You idiots are just too funny with your "critical stats" that supposedly heavily favor Iowa vs PSU. Back to the drawing board douche-wad.

Looks like ESPN thinks it’s an Iowa win according to their predictor

449-C71-DC-ACE7-4629-AB66-9-C1-FB17-BEC1-B.png

that's ok, there are just as many people on this board who can't or won't give any respect to their own team
I had the same feeling. I can see PSU as a top 10-15 team but not top 4. Early season rankings just don't mean much. PSU has a really good solid D but whether it's elite.... they have only one first-rata pass rusher and they were having trouble getting pressure on Indy QB even rushing 5. That will be trouble against the better teams on the schedule. On the other hand, this secondary really looks like the best group in a really long time at PSU, and the LBers are very good and getting better.

Offensively, Clifford is a terrific QB at this point. Does most things well. Still can have mental lapses but he is really good scrambling and buying time waiting for receivers (usually #5) to get open. I think the PSU OL is good enough. Right now, the weakest part of the whole team is running back. It's a good solid running back group but not like the elite backs PSU fans are used to. If Cain can get healthy and get some of his quickness back, that will help a lot. The fact that Cain was playing against Indy is a very good sign -- it means he's on the mend.

LMAO, and fairly typical of the douche-wads on this board... Guess what moron, Iowa's "3rd Down Conversion Rate" is worse than ours (they are second worse in b1g converting only 25 of 69 attempts), so what do you make of that Genius? Again LMAO!!!

Guess what, it's even worse if you include 3rd & 4th Down Conversions... Iowa is 27 of 74 (36%). PSU is 27 of 71 on 3rd & 4th Conversion Attempts (38%). You idiots are just too funny with your "critical stats" that supposedly heavily favor Iowa vs PSU. Back to the drawing board douche-wad.
U should be banned for insulting people and just being what's wrong about a board. Go back to the basement

Here’s a great response…Auburn’s win over Ga State was about as good as Iowa’s over Colorado State. Glass houses dude.

Not really. Iowa didn’t need the officials to gift wrap the game for them. Want to live in some glass houses. You guys continue to say Iowa has been gift wrapped all of these turnovers/wins. Had Wisconsin not gift wrapped 2 to you guys, you aren’t 4-0. How is that glass house you are living in?

Not really. Iowa didn’t need the officials to gift wrap the game for them. Want to live in some glass houses. You guys continue to say Iowa has been gift wrapped all of these turnovers/wins. Had Wisconsin not gift wrapped 2 to you guys, you aren’t 4-0. How is that glass house you are living in?
You know it's Iowa week when the Hawkeye posters show up and tell us how good they are. If someone wants to beat their collective chest in their own board I say have at it. I never visit the Iowa board and hope our fans don't go there and post the same weirdness we see here from some Iowa fans.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
You know it's Iowa week when the Hawkeye posters show up and tell us how good they are. If someone wants to beat their collective chest in their own board I say have at it. I never visit to Iowa board and hope our fans don't go there and post the same weirdness we see here from some Iowa fans.

Why do you guys hate facts being thrown back at you? It’s also comical that you are shocked Iowa fans are here visiting the week of the game. And yes, psu fans have and will continue to be on our board all week. Hell, you had a couple posting in our game thread Friday night.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Why do you guys hate facts being thrown back at you? It’s also comical that you are shocked Iowa fans are here visiting the week of the game. And yes, psu fans have and will continue to be on our board all week. Hell, you had a couple posting in our game thread Friday night.
I see your facts but they're only posted with the intent of saying, "Look at this!! It proves we're better than you!!" God forbid Penn State fans on a Penn State message have a positive outlook on their team. It's a good thing you folks stop by to tell us we're wrong.

I don't mind reading posts from fans of other teams. They're often fun. By the Iowa folk have more of a tendency to be passive aggressive and/or defensive.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
I like our record against you since CJF has taken over (4-1). And I consider the 2020 pandemic year to be an asterisk on all reasonable accounts.

You can come here to a free board and post your semi-relevant football program trash all you want but don't expect anything but a hostile or mocking reception.

You will find plenty of encouragement from the secret self-loathers, haters, and trolls (they are all actually trolls) that frequent this board (constantly), but no self-respecting Penn State fan considers Iowa to be anywhere near the same level as Penn State (football). In fact, if it weren't for 5 years in the 2000s when we completely lost our way, and a criminal over-reach 10 years ago by the NCAA, I don't think anyone, anywhere would put us on the same page.

I am sure this will be a tough game for a quarter, but we have too much talent at every skill position and too much in our defensive back 7 to be seriously challenged by you guys. Without a ton of screw ups, we will shut your crowd down and the place will be half empty by the 3rd quarter.

I like our record against you since CJF has taken over (4-1). And I consider the 2020 pandemic year to be an asterisk on all reasonable accounts.

You can come here to a free board and post your semi-relevant football program trash all you want but don't expect anything but a hostile or mocking reception.

You will find plenty of encouragement from the secret self-loathers, haters, and trolls (they are all actually trolls) that frequent this board (constantly), but no self-respecting Penn State fan considers Iowa to be anywhere near the same level as Penn State (football). In fact, if it weren't for 5 years in the 2000s when we completely lost our way, and a criminal over-reach 10 years ago by the NCAA, I don't think anyone, anywhere would put us on the same page.

I am sure this will be a tough game for a quarter, but we have too much talent at every skill position and too much in our defensive back 7 to be seriously challenged by you guys. Without a ton of screw ups, we will shut your crowd down and the place will be half empty by the 3rd quarter.
We had severely more talent in '17 and it required a superhuman performance by Saquon and a last second td to win. Simply the amount of talent with one team vs another isn't the way it always plays out...JFs bad losses to inferior teams should prove that

Sagarin’s rankings are a joke this early in the year. His system is based on data and there isn’t enough of it. I’m not sure who on Iowa’s schedule is giving them this supposed strength of schedule.

But yet, the data of overall statistics and ranking offenses is perfectly valid this early?

Well that’s a perfectly reasoned and informed opinion. Lol. How long has it been since your storied program has legitimately been in the national title discussion at the end of the season?

Since clearly those stats are meaningful to you, Iowa’s third down % is lower than penn state’s. So is their rushing ypa. Don’t be a hack who cherry picks.

Since clearly those stats are meaningful to you, Iowa’s third down % is lower than penn state’s. So is their rushing ypa. Don’t be a hack who cherry picks.
It was on the broadcast last night so apparently they deemed it important. So if psu is bad in an area, and another team is worse, that means that is has no relevance in your eyes. Cool.

You know it's Iowa week when the Hawkeye posters show up and tell us how good they are. If someone wants to beat their collective chest in their own board I say have at it. I never visit the Iowa board and hope our fans don't go there and post the same weirdness we see here from some Iowa fans.

I'm so impressed that you don't visit the Iowa board and that you're above such weirdness. You are a paragon of dignity, normalcy, honor, and high-mindedness.

By the way, the website you're on is called Rivals, with links to every team's message board. The discussions are generated from opposing fans before games, ideally so that posters can learn more about one another's teams, do a little scouting, and just maybe have a little innocent fun trash talking and bragging on one's team.

But again, I'm so impressed by your declaration of not doing such a thing.

Throw out all of the other stuff. Both teams are playing good football - there's no early-season debacle or elimination from playoffs (Penn State's situation last year) to take off the emotional edge. I think it's going to come down to dudes. And if recruiting rankings mean anything Penn State simply has more of them. We have 45 4-stars. Iowa has 6 and I think one might be a backup QB. Don't have time to look it up right now - going from memory. Last I checked 18 of our 22 starters were 4-star in at least one service. The other 4 are guys who played pretty good college football elsewhere (JC for Brown and Brisker, Temple for Ebiketie, Duke for Tangelo).

Iowa is well-coached, won't beat itself, and some of its starters are better than their rankings. But I think this PSU team is going to be a considerable jump up in talent vs. anything Iowa has seen this season. I also think Yurcich hasn't unleashed the full playbook yet. I think we will be able to move the ball on them, but the key is going to be limiting turnovers and converting scoring opportunities when they're there.

Reactions: ftlpsu
It was on the broadcast last night so apparently they deemed it important. So if psu is bad in an area, and another team is worse, that means that is has no relevance in your eyes. Cool.

Most stats are irrelevant without context. If we are f*d because of those stats. Iowa is even more f*d so…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT