ADVERTISEMENT

Haven’t watched Iowa. How are they top 5 based on schedule?

I think it's going to come down to dudes. And if recruiting rankings mean anything Penn State simply has more of them. We have 45 4-stars. Iowa has 6 and I think one might be a backup QB. Don't have time to look it up right now - going from memory. Last I checked 18 of our 22 starters were 4-star in at least one service. The other 4 are guys who played pretty good college football elsewhere (JC for Brown and Brisker, Temple for Ebiketie, Duke for Tangelo).
Be wise enough to know recruiting rankings mean little.

Iowa considers themselves having a GREAT recruiting year if they finish in the nation's top 30 in any year. For Penn State, that would be considered a disaster year. They have won quite a lot under Ferentz for the past 20 years with low rated, under-the-radar recruits. Iowa's coaches do a phenomenal job coaching players up once they arrive on campus. Additionally, I think the entire recruiting services "star" system is totally flawed as many kids are given stars based on WHAT specific schools show an interest in them. Iowa competes more against MAC schools for recruits than it does Power 5 schools usually and those kids just aren't going to get the fanfare the more heavily recruited kids will.

There was a kid from Erie,PA many years ago with one schollie offer when Iowa came calling. His name was Bob Sanders. Went on to be probably the biggest star defensive secondary player in Iowa history. Could line up dozens of examples like him at Iowa through the years-- he's just one of the best well-known. TE Dallas Clark was a walk-on to Iowa. Chad Greenway played 8-man football in South Dakota who didn't have one other major scholarship offer when Iowa signed him.

Most stats are irrelevant without context. If we are f*d because of those stats. Iowa is even more f*d so…
Of course context matters. But, totally disqualifying something as irrelevant because the other team is worse, doesn't minimize the problem.

Of course context matters. But, totally disqualifying something as irrelevant because the other team is worse, doesn't minimize the problem.

I didn’t say it was an irrelevant stat, I added the context necessary and you got butthurt.

A certain segment of fans here like to bash this team while acting like everyone else is a complete team that excels in all phases of the game and has no warts. You appear to be one of them.

I didn’t say it was an irrelevant stat, I added the context necessary and you got butthurt.

A certain segment of fans here like to bash this team while acting like everyone else is a complete team that excels in all phases of the game and has no warts. You appear to be one of them.
I am not...but agree to disagree.

I am not...but agree to disagree.

You agree to disagree that Iowa's Offensive Stats are worse across the board???? Sorry but the point is not up for debate - you're factually wrong! Iowa is the worst offensive team in the b1g... and by a wide margin. So according to your own "genius" argumentation, Iowa is significantly more f'ed and overrated than PSU.

Last edited:
As far as the rankings go. Both PSU and Iowa “deserve” their rankings. Hawks beat 2 ranked teams when they played….PSU the same with the Badgers and the Auburn (still ranked)win was the best between the 2 teams at this point. Who really knows how good anyone is 5 games in though.

Should be a really tight game as both D’s are great. Winner has a great shot at the CFP.

Reactions: liex26
You know it's Iowa week when the Hawkeye posters show up and tell us how good they are. If someone wants to beat their collective chest in their own board I say have at it. I never visit the Iowa board and hope our fans don't go there and post the same weirdness we see here from some Iowa fans.
I know of no Iowa fans pounding their chests
They have a good defense ,and all believe PSU is an excellent team, No one is guaranteeing a victory except PSU fans
By thinking IA has a good chance to win is far from chest pounding
plenty of PSU fans have been on the IA board

Throw out all of the other stuff. Both teams are playing good football - there's no early-season debacle or elimination from playoffs (Penn State's situation last year) to take off the emotional edge. I think it's going to come down to dudes. And if recruiting rankings mean anything Penn State simply has more of them. We have 45 4-stars. Iowa has 6 and I think one might be a backup QB. Don't have time to look it up right now - going from memory. Last I checked 18 of our 22 starters were 4-star in at least one service. The other 4 are guys who played pretty good college football elsewhere (JC for Brown and Brisker, Temple for Ebiketie, Duke for Tangelo).

Iowa is well-coached, won't beat itself, and some of its starters are better than their rankings. But I think this PSU team is going to be a considerable jump up in talent vs. anything Iowa has seen this season. I also think Yurcich hasn't unleashed the full playbook yet. I think we will be able to move the ball on them, but the key is going to be limiting turnovers and converting scoring opportunities when they're there.
No doubt PSU beats Iowa when it comes to 4-star high school recruits,. Here is what Iowa brings as a starting lineup on defense:

DE - Van Valkenburg - 0 stars and DII transfer
DT - Van Ess - 3 stars
DT - Noah Shannon - 3 stars
DE - Joe Evans - 0 stars walk on
LB - Seth Benson - 2 stars
LB - Jack Campbell - 3 stars
Cash - Belton - 3 stars
CB - Moss - 2 stars
SS - Merriweather - 2 stars
FS - Koerner - 0 stars walk on
CB - Hankins 3 stars

Yep, none of them would really be considered 'Dudes' in HS. But somehow, someway they've matured and mixed together to become the #7 ranked defense (total defense) currently in the country.

And it's not like PSU hasn't seen a top 10 defense this year - they beat Wiscy (#3) in Madison 16-10 early this year. And it is of note that Iowa has also has seen a top 10 defense this year in Ames vs. Iowa State (#2).

With all due respect, I think Iowa has its own set of Dudes - there are a lot of All-Big players in that defensive lineup - and has seen quite a few other Dudes this year.

Iowa is probably not going to be awed or shell shocked - they know exactly who they are. Just some Dudes playing ball.

Peace.

I like our record against you since CJF has taken over (4-1). And I consider the 2020 pandemic year to be an asterisk on all reasonable accounts.

You can come here to a free board and post your semi-relevant football program trash all you want but don't expect anything but a hostile or mocking reception.

You will find plenty of encouragement from the secret self-loathers, haters, and trolls (they are all actually trolls) that frequent this board (constantly), but no self-respecting Penn State fan considers Iowa to be anywhere near the same level as Penn State (football). In fact, if it weren't for 5 years in the 2000s when we completely lost our way, and a criminal over-reach 10 years ago by the NCAA, I don't think anyone, anywhere would put us on the same page.

I am sure this will be a tough game for a quarter, but we have too much talent at every skill position and too much in our defensive back 7 to be seriously challenged by you guys. Without a ton of screw ups, we will shut your crowd down and the place will be half empty by the 3rd quarter.
I came here to your free board to see if there was anyone as silly, or sillier than I can find on the Iowa Board. Yep. I found you. Your excuses for loses to Iowa are covid, "lost our way", and a criminal over-reach. Iowa has the 4th best record against Penn State in the Big Ten (13-17). Only Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State have defeated Penn State more. What's the excuses for losing to those teams? Considering your pompous little act, I'm guessing you're not far removed from your teens. Hopefully, someday, maturity will catch up with you.

We had severely more talent in '17 and it required a superhuman performance by Saquon and a last second td to win. Simply the amount of talent with one team vs another isn't the way it always plays out...JFs bad losses to inferior teams should prove that
Thank you mr troll

I came here to your free board to see if there was anyone as silly, or sillier than I can find on the Iowa Board. Yep. I found you. Your excuses for loses to Iowa are covid, "lost our way", and a criminal over-reach. Iowa has the 4th best record against Penn State in the Big Ten (13-17). Only Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State have defeated Penn State more. What's the excuses for losing to those teams? Considering your pompous little act, I'm guessing you're not far removed from your teens. Hopefully, someday, maturity will catch up with you.
4 out of the last 5. that’s looking like a good trend

Outside of last years debacle, Franklin has never lost to Kirk. a big part of it is Kirk relies on opponents making mistakes and capitalizing. Again throwing last year out because it was covid etc etc and this is our board so I’ll do what I want, the only other year Iowa has won the turnover margin against Franklin was in 2017 (it was only by one) and Saquon did Saquon things to offset it.

If PSU doesn’t turn the ball over next weekend (including failed 4th down conversions that give up good field position) I don’t see Iowa winning.
Entertaining series since 2016. PSU took Iowa to the woodshed in 2016. 2017 was won by PSU literally on the past play of the game. 2018 PSU intercepts on the 2-yard line with 3 minutes to go. 2019 Iowa scored late to cut it to 5, but PSU ran out the clock. Iowa won pretty easily last year, but not much to make of that either way.

I would think Saturday will be close. First team to 21 probably wins.

Not even close to 8 out of 9 for Iowa, 2000 - 2010. Thank you. Try again.
I didn’t know Franklin was the coach from 200-2010. I guess teams that beat Bama prior to Saban getting there should be beating them consistently now. Pitt won a NC in 1976…I’m surprised we were able to beat them in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Guess we were lucky.

Reactions: jmorovich
But Paul Finebaum said that win wasn’t very good…

As long as we protect the ball I think we have more than a good chance of winning. Colorado State showed what Iowa looks like with an even turnover margin.
Not familiar with playing down to your competition

Entertaining series since 2016. PSU took Iowa to the woodshed in 2016. 2017 was won by PSU literally on the past play of the game. 2018 PSU intercepts on the 2-yard line with 3 minutes to go. 2019 Iowa scored late to cut it to 5, but PSU ran out the clock. Iowa won pretty easily last year, but not much to make of that either way.

I would think Saturday will be close. First team to 21 probably wins.
Bring your ear plugs and learn to lip read the tailgate boys will be jacked partying since 8 am and now the stadium sells beer so no sobering up allowed -it will be fun :)
Have you all looked at Iowa's opponents and who they played? LOL......CSU 1 Win vs. Toledo---losses to teams we would blow out. ISU's 3 wins lol vs. UNI, Kansas and UNLV both have 0 WINS!

We have played a much better schedule.

Maryland is a joke.

I cant wait for Saturday!

The Iowa free board is not a sports board it is a swamp no football is talked there only a holes looking for a argument and you think those are Iowa people -wrong

Well that’s a perfectly reasoned and informed opinion. Lol. How long has it been since your storied program has legitimately been in the national title discussion at the end of the season?
More recently than the 1958 Iowa can lay claim to. We've had a bit of an Ohio State problem lately.

You're referencing a pretty simple, non-asshole reply by me but you choose to go the other way. That's fine. Again, not making any predictions about next Saturday other than it will all be decided on that day who the better team was that day. On the other hand, you have a big PSU win already in the books and looking to the game beyond. That's coo
No doubt PSU beats Iowa when it comes to 4-star high school recruits,. Here is what Iowa brings as a starting lineup on defense:

DE - Van Valkenburg - 0 stars and DII transfer
DT - Van Ess - 3 stars
DT - Noah Shannon - 3 stars
DE - Joe Evans - 0 stars walk on
LB - Seth Benson - 2 stars
LB - Jack Campbell - 3 stars
Cash - Belton - 3 stars
CB - Moss - 2 stars
SS - Merriweather - 2 stars
FS - Koerner - 0 stars walk on
CB - Hankins 3 stars

Yep, none of them would really be considered 'Dudes' in HS. But somehow, someway they've matured and mixed together to become the #7 ranked defense (total defense) currently in the country.

And it's not like PSU hasn't seen a top 10 defense this year - they beat Wiscy (#3) in Madison 16-10 early this year. And it is of note that Iowa has also has seen a top 10 defense this year in Ames vs. Iowa State (#2).

With all due respect, I think Iowa has its own set of Dudes - there are a lot of All-Big players in that defensive lineup - and has seen quite a few other Dudes this year.

Iowa is probably not going to be awed or shell shocked - they know exactly who they are. Just some Dudes

Iowa considers themselves having a GREAT recruiting year if they finish in the nation's top 30 in any year. For Penn State, that would be considered a disaster year. They have won quite a lot under Ferentz for the past 20 years with low rated, under-the-radar recruits. Iowa's coaches do a phenomenal job coaching players up once they arrive on campus. Additionally, I think the entire recruiting services "star" system is totally flawed as many kids are given stars based on WHAT specific schools show an interest in them. Iowa competes more against MAC schools for recruits than it does Power 5 schools usually and those kids just aren't going to get the fanfare the more heavily recruited kids will.

There was a kid from Erie,PA many years ago with one schollie offer when Iowa came calling. His name was Bob Sanders. Went on to be probably the biggest star defensive secondary player in Iowa history. Could line up dozens of examples like him at Iowa through the years-- he's just one of the best well-known. TE Dallas Clark was a walk-on to Iowa. Chad Greenway played 8-man football in South Dakota who didn't have one other major scholarship offer when Iowa signed him.
They mean little when you play in the Big Ten west. Every school can bring up players who were not highly touted who were great players.

Nobody's saying Iowa is going to be afraid or that Iowa doesn't have some players who are better than their rankings suggest. I am saying that it isn't going to matter what talking heads say and computer models predict. I think Penn State has better players overall. We had some of the same players last year, of course. But I think Covid had far more of an impact on PSU than it did Iowa. We were breaking in a new OC who had no chance to install his system with in-person practice. We lost Micah Parsons, who opted out, and Journey Brown . Also, CJF was separated from his family during the season and it impacted him. He seems rejuvenated this year.

Not familiar with playing down to your competition

Oh please, you’re really going to make that argument? you have to go really far down to play to Colorado State. They were blown out by an FCS school. Don’t try and put lipstick on that pig.

Looks like ESPN thinks it’s an Iowa win according to their predictor

449-C71-DC-ACE7-4629-AB66-9-C1-FB17-BEC1-B.png
ESPN is like asking the arcade lady gypsy .

Not trying to flame Iowa. I’m just not seeing how they are ranked so high based on their schedule to date. Usually teams with that schedule without the marquis brand (OSU, Bama, etc) are ranked bottom of the top 10 behind one loss SEC teams.

No one is Alabama or Georgia.

Iowa has to win the West. If so, they haven't played Ohio State, since 2017, but they held the Buckeyes to 24 and won.

They hold teams to 24 points. Have the past 25 games with defense, special teams and enough offense.

What was it 41-20 during the covid-19 year over Penn State.

Penn State has won 9 straight. For Iowa, it is now won 11 straight.

We learned this off season, QB Spencer Petras lost about 30 days due to covid-19 ahead of 2020.

Iowa was 10-3 to finish 2019. USC should have changed coaches after Iowa beat then 49-24 in the Holiday Bowl.

Last year, 6-2, starting with a 49-7 win against Mel Tucker's Michigan State team. MSU should have lost to Nebraska, but Scott Frost has major issues with special teams.

MSU doesn't have the same issues.

Should be a great game at Kinnick. Safe travels, if you are coming out to Iowa City for this one.

Iowa is listed as a 1-1/2 point favorite. Take Penn State and bet the house. Easiest money you will make all year. Iowa is not good. At all.
I came over to see what is being discussed. I read through this thread and some pretty good discussion in it. I found this gem from @newEra2014.

What would you be willing to give me as a point spread NewEra (since Iowa is not good), 7, 10, 13 points? I would love to make a bet 😀. I have PayPal or Venmo (if you know how to use those apps).

I came over to see what is being discussed. I read through this thread and some pretty good discussion in it. I found this gem from @newEra2014.

What would you be willing to give me as a point spread NewEra (since Iowa is not good), 7, 10, 13 points? I would love to make a bet 😀. I have PayPal or Venmo (if you know how to use those apps).

How much are you willing to put down on the current spread?

Not saying Iowa doesn't have or hasn't had some great players. Iowa seems to specialize in finding the diamond in the rough players that others miss or pass over, yes, even some from Pennsylvania. Chris Doyle developed a lot of those players under Ferentz, and it looks like his former assistant has continued the tradition. I used to be jealous of Iowa on that front, especially when we were suffering through 4 losing seasons in 5 years and Iowa was winning Big Ten Championships back in the early 2000s. The difference now is that not only is Penn State recruiting perhaps historically well, but we have probably the best S&C coach in the Big Ten, if not the country, in Dwight Galt. He has done a great job of maximizing our players' performance. I think Penn State used to get athletes who were maybe ahead of the pack in high school and mainly focus from an S&C standpoint on keeping them from getting hurt rather than maximizing their potential.

Reactions: frydaze
But Paul Finebaum said that win wasn’t very good…

As long as we protect the ball I think we have more than a good chance of winning. Colorado State showed what Iowa looks like with an even turnover margin.
With the exception of the interception, Clifford for the most part hasn't telegraphed his intentions, either with the pass or the run. I've always been impressed with his potential for the long run, but felt it had gotten overused to the point where the pass game suffered. He's seem to have put the two back to more of a balance (many times even looking down field before running) so that the offense was less predictable and he get much larger gaps to run if he chooses that. Other than continuing with this strategy for Iowas, maybe improved blocking by the TEs would be a big help.

Reactions: BlueLion
The model that looks only at wins and losses has Iowa as the #3 team in the country:

Iowa #3 with the #53 hardest schedule.
PSU #8 with the #84 hardest schedule.

Obviously it's pretty early in the season for this to be a great model, but it's an objective one that does have them in the top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
How much are you willing to put down on the current spread?
I don't bet unless I think it is a sure thing ... but if some random fan thinks Iowa sucks then I would think double digit point spread might be appropriate. If I got Iowa +10 I would probably put 500 on it. Got to make it hurt a little if you lose and make it worth your it if you win ;-)

@fastlaz16, would you want to bet if PSU has any TOs? That would be an interesting bet (since obviously Maryland just laid the ball in Iowa's lap 7 times, I'm sure PSU wouldn't be stupid enough to do the same).

The model that looks only at wins and losses has Iowa as the #3 team in the country:

Iowa #3 with the #26 hardest schedule.
PSU #8 with the #84 hardest schedule.

Obviously it's pretty early in the season for this to be a great model, but it's an objective one that does have them in the top 5.
Iowa has the #53 hardest schedule per this ranking. Michigan at #2 has the #26 hardest schedule. PSU's ranking should go up after those wins. :)

Reactions: mcgunns
And to all the PSU fans that look at Star ratings to determine quality of players on the current rosters. Here is a different metric to consider - Number of players on current NFL rosters - It indicates Iowa has 33 and PSU has 31 (so Iowa may not have as big a gap in talent as some are suggesting ... just a thought). It will be a hell of game Saturday night. Hope those that come to IC are treated well and have a good time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ichawk24
Well that’s a perfectly reasoned and informed opinion. Lol. How long has it been since your storied program has legitimately been in the national title discussion at the end of the season?
My dislike for the state of Iowa is no secret but I must say, I get a kick out of your screen name. Well done.

@fastlaz16, would you want to bet if PSU has any TOs? That would be an interesting bet (since obviously Maryland just laid the ball in Iowa's lap 7 times, I'm sure PSU wouldn't be stupid enough to do the same).

I’m willing to bet we have fewer than Maryland gifted.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I don't bet unless I think it is a sure thing ... but if some random fan thinks Iowa sucks then I would think double digit point spread might be appropriate. If I got Iowa +10 I would probably put 500 on it. Got to make it hurt a little if you lose and make it worth your it if you win ;-)
What an absurd post - why precisely would someone bet money with you at that spead when they can just as easily bet on PSU to win online with a much more attractive spread??? (whether he thinks Iowa sucks or not would have nothing to do with the rational decision of placing a bet with the best odds of winning - i.e., placing the bet where he is getting the most attractive line for PSU).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT