ADVERTISEMENT

Have there been any 3x undefeated NCAA champions (besides Cael)

Real_Proposition_Joe

Mar 16, 2017
New York, NY
Curious if any wrestler in NCAA history (in the "modern" era of competing all four years I guess), besides Cael, have had three undefeated NCAA championship seasons. Cael obviously had four.

Wondering the answer to this question since we have one wrestler going for it next year (Zain) and another who may be the following year (Nolf)

I know for a fact that only Cael and IMar have had undefeated NCAA champion freshman years, so it would have to be soph-jr-sr years.

Ruth, Steiber, and Taylor have all been extremely close in recent memory with 2 undefeated seasons and another with just one loss. (I think Steiber had one loss in both fr/sr seasons)

Thanks..

Curious if any wrestler in NCAA history (in the "modern" era of competing all four years I guess), besides Cael, have had three undefeated NCAA championship seasons. Cael obviously had four.

Wondering the answer to this question since we have one wrestler going for it next year (Zain) and another who may be the following year (Nolf)

I know for a fact that only Cael and IMar have had undefeated NCAA champion freshman years, so it would have to be soph-jr-sr years.

Ruth, Steiber, and Taylor have all been extremely close in recent memory with 2 undefeated seasons and another with just one loss. (I think Steiber had one loss in both fr/sr seasons)

Thanks..
I would think maybe Carlton Haselrig. I believe he won his last 122 matches . Keep in mind that a majority of those wins were Division II competition.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I am pretty sure that Dake didn't go undefeated, one year he lost his conference finals. In addition in had a couple more losses in first two years
As I understand it, Cael is the only D1 wrestler to go undefeated and win 4 national championships. However, I think that he did lose at least once during his redshirt freshman year, which didn't count against his four undefeated seasons

I am pretty sure that Dake didn't go undefeated, one year he lost his conference finals. In addition in had a couple more losses in first two years
Yeah, sorry, read too fast. He lost four times, and went undefeated last two years.

Snyder would be in the same boat next year.
Should there be * by Snyders name due to the fact that he wrestlers so few matches in a season??? Just a thought--not to take away from Snyder's accomplishments...but it is easier to go undefeated when you only wrestle 12 or so regular season match's.

Should there be * by Snyders name due to the fact that he wrestlers so few matches in a season??? Just a thought--not to take away from Snyder's accomplishments...but it is easier to go undefeated when you only wrestle 12 or so regular season match's.

I would give him a * but it would stand for World and Olympic championships sandwiched in with 3 national champs. In other words * would stand for FREAK of NATURE.

The kid isnt even 21 yet, if his body holds up he could push Smith for the US FS GOAT.

I would give him a * but it would stand for World and Olympic championships sandwiched in with 3 national champs. In other words * would stand for FREAK of NATURE.

The kid isnt even 21 yet, if his body holds up he could push Smith for the US FS GOAT.
I agree that Snyder is a talent and chances are will not be beaten in his remaining college career... But the fact of the matter is D1 season is a long grind and the more matches that you wrestle increases chance of injury, illness, getting caught or simply having a bad day. and you said it yourself "if his body holds up" Less matches less ware and tear on your body. again I am not trying to take anything away from Snyder he is awesome! but the fact still remains if you wrestle less match's you have less of a chance to get beat.

Reactions: lionlover
I agree that Snyder is a talent and chances are will not be beaten in his remaining college career... But the fact of the matter is D1 season is a long grind and the more matches that you wrestle increases chance of injury, illness, getting caught or simply having a bad day. and you said it yourself "if his body holds up" Less matches less ware and tear on your body. again I am not trying to take anything away from Snyder he is awesome! but the fact still remains if you wrestle less match's you have less of a chance to get beat.
As if Snyder was sitting around, reading message boards the whole time, instead of going to tournaments to face the Russians and other brutes.

To knock out a couple other names: Ringer and Heil both lost as sophomores, and Cox lost twice as a freshman.

Dake lost to Kevin LeValley in the EIWA finals his sophomore year.
One of the reasons I love these boards is the info the posters have. Was thinking about googling who that was he lost to. If anyone wants to help out with who else dake lost to, I know he beat montell marion in what I think was his first championship but thought he might have lost to him previously.

As if Snyder was sitting around, reading message boards the whole time, instead of going to tournaments to face the Russians and other brutes.
X2 Jefe...the kid was all over the world wrestling the best senior talent in the world. I was lucky enough to be in Vegas when he won his first world title.

Dake may have been cutting too much weight his first two years. He lost to Zach Bailey 2-1 TB and Reece Humphrey 3-2 TB at Cliff Keen his freshman year. He beat both later that year, Humphery at nationals (semis). He lost to Donnie Vinson 5-3, and LeValley (3 stall calls on Dake) as a sophomore. Quite a few stall calls his 1st two years.

Lee Kemp was close, 1 tie as a sophomore. He had an 87-match winning streak (no losses or ties) and a 103-match unbeaten streak He lost a split referees decision to Chuck Yagla of Iowa as a 18 year freshman in the finals.

...other 3 X undefeated champions:

...for sure, Rex Peery, Okla State, who then started the wrestling program at Pitt...
...but unequalled record...BOTH of his sons - Hugh and Ed - who wrestled for Pitt- were 3X NCAA champions... so the family has earned 9 NCAA championships!!!...
...as I remember, Hugh and Ed each lost one match during their careers...Hugh lost a dual meet match to Bob Homan of Penn State...Ed lost to Joe Alissi of Springfield in the EIWA tourney...
...their "family" record will be hard to match...

...another undefeated 3X champion was Oklahoma's Dan Hodge ... who could crush a pair of pliers with his bare hand...

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
Some other pre-1970 undefeated 3X champions -Yojiro Uetake (Oklahoma State) 1964-1966
Keith Young, Iowa State Teachers College
Jack VanBebber, Oklahoma State
Buddy Arndt, Oklahoma State - he won 2 times before WWII, served, and came back after the war to win his 3rd

Pat Smith, Oklahoma State — the first four-time NCAA champion ever. He compiled a career record of 121-5-2, going his last 98 matches in a row without a loss he never lost after his freshman year

Gray Simons, Lock Haven State – Wrestling at 115 pounds, he claimed an all-time record of seven national titles in college (four at the NAIA level and three at the NCAA level) and he was the O.W. in those seven meets an amazing six times. Simons never lost after early in his freshman year and won his last 84 matches in a row. Many in his era believe he was the finest technician they ever saw.

Gray Simons, Lock Haven State – Wrestling at 115 pounds, he claimed an all-time record of seven national titles in college (four at the NAIA level and three at the NCAA level) and he was the O.W. in those seven meets an amazing six times. Simons never lost after early in his freshman year and won his last 84 matches in a row. Many in his era believe he was the finest technician they ever saw.

And Lock Haven basically left him walk out of their wrestling room without even attempting to give him a reason to stay.

Pat Smith, Oklahoma State — the first four-time NCAA champion ever. He compiled a career record of 121-5-2, going his last 98 matches in a row without a loss he never lost after his freshman year

And....might I add, the only one to win four at exactly one weight class. ;)

...Smith was probably the only one to flunk out of school mid-term and then be reinstated when his family threatened to sue th school... hmmm..,

...other 3 X undefeated champions:

...for sure, Rex Peery, Okla State, who then started the wrestling program at Pitt...
...but unequalled record...BOTH of his sons - Hugh and Ed - who wrestled for Pitt- were 3X NCAA champions... so the family has earned 9 NCAA championships!!!...
...as I remember, Hugh and Ed each lost one match during their careers...Hugh lost a dual meet match to Bob Homan of Penn State...Ed lost to Joe Alissi of Springfield in the EIWA tourney...
...their "family" record will be hard to match...

...another undefeated 3X champion was Oklahoma's Dan Hodge ... who could crush a pair of pliers with his bare hand...
Give Cael's boys some time to grow up...:cool:

Some other pre-1970 undefeated 3X champions -Yojiro Uetake (Oklahoma State) 1964-1966
Keith Young, Iowa State Teachers College
Jack VanBebber, Oklahoma State
Buddy Arndt, Oklahoma State - he won 2 times before WWII, served, and came back after the war to win his 3rd

Gray Simons did his student teaching at my junior high school when I was in eighth grade. He was an unbelievable athlete and I (and most of the kids in my gym class) actually had the chance to wrestle around with him a couple of times.

Many people don't associate this, but he with his high school coach, Billy Martin, developed a move that became famous and I still see versions of it today. It's named after his high school in Norfolk VA.....Granby High School.

http://www.vshfm.com/inductees/inductee_details.php?inducteeID=225

Last edited:

I understand your point but he could wrestle 100 matches and not lose. The kid is unbelievable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT