ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen Obliviax lately?

We know it's a gigantic effort run by the Kremlin (actually the Red Army). Only in the last year the west has uncovered the code names and the leaders. We know it was already so huge in 2016 that it created tens of millions of fake Facebook identities and then used them to post disinformation on any Facebook-related discussion sites. And they created hundreds of fake Facebook groups like "Steelworkers for Trump" where the fake identifies were designed to fool people into thinking they were part of a mass movement. Kind of like political catfishing.

On the other hand a lot of what people experience is just organized crime not just from Russia but from 100 other countries.

And what we have here on the bwi list is probably, unfortunately, just a proliferation of a-holes. But things have gotten so much worse, you have to wonder what's causing it.

Obaldenny!

hey ski, I don't remember, are you related to any Bradleys or Salony's from up in Lilly?

Not related, but knew some of them back in the day. One of the Salonys was our Phys Ed instructor way back in elementary school.

Reactions: denniskembala
Not related, but knew some of them back in the day. One of the Salonys was our Phys Ed instructor way back in elementary school.

Ah. My grandma, Emma lived across from the elementary school.
My great grandfathers Salony owned the old hotel until my Grandma and Grandpa moved in. Thats where my mom grew up.
They tore it down before I ever saw it.

I actually searched the Cleveland paper a few weeks ago for a possible obit. I met him at a game a few years ago so I know his real first name, his approximate age and think his last name is rather long. No matches even close thank God.
I have known Obli just about my whole life. In fact, he is the one that got me addicted to this site of wayward miscreants! :confused: I can assure you he is alive and well. And loving his new job.

But you'll have to ask him why he hasn't been posting for a while......;)

All of that aside tboyer, you have been on here since 2002. Then you must know, that when we are winning, this is the way it is.
It has always been like this. Back in 2002, 2004, things were nice a quiet and then bam, 2005 came along and out came the trolls.
Remember MBE?

Then again, one thing that has changed from then to now is the troll culture. That didn't really exist back then as much, especially among older folks.
Mbe is busy on Penn Live posing as women and trannies

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Yes. On the Lilly end. Just above the PNA and shake bank.

Yes, I know the house. When Lilly had a bowling alley, my dad owned it (the bowling alley that is). The ground is now where the Post Office is located.

My family still lives up where the ball field is. If you ever go to the Sokols Club then you have probably run into one or more of my brothers. The PNA or GBU was the 2nd or 3rd option.

Yes, I know the house. When Lilly had a bowling alley, my dad owned it (the bowling alley that is). The ground is now where the Post Office is located.

My family still lives up where the ball field is. If you ever go to the Sokols Club then you have probably run into one or more of my brothers. The PNA or GBU was the 2nd or 3rd option.
I need to join the PNA. Considering it's just down the road from me. It's a little hard to roll uphill drunk to your house though. I've been the Sokols a couple times. My father in law and his brothers are all members and frequently go there.

I never knew Lilly had a bowling alley.

I may have talked to your family around the ballfields. We are down there quite often and I've talked to many of the people that live there.

My wife's family is from the Jimtown area and on the lower end of Lilly Mountain road. I'm just a transplant from Bedford County.

By the way, what is the GBU? There was George's down by the tracks but I can't come up with anything else I am familiar with.

I bet your family is happy with some of the improvements going on around the ballfields. Most of the old coal dumps are reclaimed. What was black is now green grassy fields.

If you (or any other posters) are ever in the area, knock on my door. I've usually got cold beer and food. Red brick house, same side as the PNA.

Sorry to hijack the thread for Obliviax. Glad to read he is alive and well. I enjoy reading his posts and hope he returns to the board soon.

My wife's family is from the Jimtown area and on the lower end of Lilly Mountain road. I'm just a transplant from Bedford County.

By the way, what is the GBU? There was George's down by the tracks but I can't come up with anything else I am familiar with.

I bet your family is happy with some of the improvements going on around the ballfields. Most of the old coal dumps are reclaimed. What was black is now green grassy fields.

If you (or any other posters) are ever in the area, knock on my door. I've usually got cold beer and food. Red brick house, same side as the PNA.

Sorry to hijack the thread for Obliviax. Glad to read he is alive and well. I enjoy reading his posts and hope he returns to the board soon.

I haven’t been there in a few years. My family has deep roots there but there is no one left! My dad is from Portage (casandra) as well and no one left there either. My great grandpa Michael Salony actually started the Sokols. There are Salony’s left there but I don’t actually know them well.

I do know my moms uncle Jim is in the historical society and has had a lot of the monuments put up.

Listen to this though, when I moved to NYC, I moved to the East Village, I always felt a draw there. Years later I found out I lived two blocks away from the Rusyn Orthodox Church and that when the Salonys came to America, all except my great grandpa stayed in NYC. He went to Lilly and became a bootlegger. But his mom went to that church and I actually met the whole long lost Salony tribe and still see them once a year. Strange how that happened.

If I go back, I’ll look you up. My baby is due in three weeks and I will want to bring her up in a few years to see where her family is from.

I've never even ever saw Obi.

Have you ever see an OBI strip? :eek:

382181892692.jpg

I have known Obli just about my whole life. In fact, he is the one that got me addicted to this site of wayward miscreants! :confused: I can assure you he is alive and well. And loving his new job.

Apparently he smartened up.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Pretty easy to see why someone would stop posting...on most boards it would be easy after a loss, on this board it would be just as easy after a win.

You are correct and it's a shame.

I've said this before, but some people tend to fight too hard to support their position, when in reality, fighting for your position here isn't likely to change anybody's mind. I can usually tell as soon as a thread starts that it's not going to end well. It can be the simplest thing, football related or other. The wrong choice of one word. Probably an innocent mistake in many cases.

I changed my handle a while back for an undisclosed reason, but I have been a poster (mostly a lurker) on this board since the plotit days, I THINK about 1996. Since '96, the back and forth has changed dramatically. In addition to the antagonizers, there are a lot of posters today who cannot accept different points of view without the discussion turning rude with name calling and all that BS. I think I know a few reasons why, but I am certainly not going to put it here.
Fully agree with this - from a very long time lurker. I used to receive my "board" updates via LIST-SERVE. Some sort of automated email thing.

You are correct and it's a shame.

I've said this before, but some people tend to fight too hard to support their position, when in reality, fighting for your position here isn't likely to change anybody's mind. I can usually tell as soon as a thread starts that it's not going to end well. It can be the simplest thing, football related or other. The wrong choice of one word. Probably an innocent mistake in many cases.

I changed my handle a while back for an undisclosed reason, but I have been a poster (mostly a lurker) on this board since the plotit days, I THINK about 1996. Since '96, the back and forth has changed dramatically. In addition to the antagonizers, there are a lot of posters today who cannot accept different points of view without the discussion turning rude with name calling and all that BS. I think I know a few reasons why, but I am certainly not going to put it here.

Its very easy to be an anonymous hard ass, wise guy from the dark corner of your parent's basement.

The GBU is (was?) the German Beneficial Union Club. The front of the club was about half way down Portage Street on the right, as you are heading out of the center of town. The bar portion is in the back with parking and the bar entrance off of the back alley along the creek. Haven't been home in a couple of years though, so I don't know what all has changed.

I give Obli props if he up and left instead of pontificating like a certain other longtime poster who loves to come and go.

The GBU is (was?) the German Beneficial Union Club. The front of the club was about half way down Portage Street on the right, as you are heading out of the center of town. The bar portion is in the back with parking and the bar entrance off of the back alley along the creek. Haven't been home in a couple of years though, so I don't know what all has changed.
I played ball for the GBU near Kennywood. Had a "working man's special" a triple shot for seventy five cents. You only got one a day .

Okay, I will.
@Obliviax , why have you stopped posting?
Hope all is well. We will still get meet up at the Winking Lizard in Avon to discuss Penn State football.

OL

I used to frequent that Winking Lizard a couple years back when I was living in Avon Lake for 9 months. I was likely in the same room as you guys posting on here at some point.

Reactions: OhioLion
This is Obliviax. Thanks for the well wishes. I am just fine; in fact never better.

As a poster, I am out. I will still continue to lurk from time to time. But as a poster I am out.

A year ago, I quit watching the news and reading the newspaper. I now get my news by searching for direct quotes and making up my own mind. I got tired of people telling me the news (which was often, perhaps usually, wrong) and what I should think. It started with the press and Paterno during the JS affair. Basically, a total and complete disgust with "the system". I found myself in a much better place.

I decided to seek positivity. I stopped watching gloomy movies, TV shows, and (for the most part) avoid whiners.

It got to the point where this board was the source of, or what was left of, my aggravation. If someone talks about a weakness on the team that needs to be overcome, they are personally hammered. I've learned that every team member and coach is simultaneously a genius and a fool. I learned PSU is the best and worst university in the nation. I learned that everyone must be of a single mind in matters such as gun control, abortion, religion and police brutality. And, God (whomever that is) forbid someone try to make a joke or light of any situation (most pointedly, eagle and steeler fans).

I simply no longer enjoy it and I certainly I don't need it.

I've got a few years left to make a difference and leave a legacy. The negativity doesn't help. I am trying to maintain my energy and effectiveness as I enter the autumn of my life.

No bitterness. This is what happens, I guess, in every forum and social media outlet. Frankly, it simply isn't helpful. And I've spent far too many hours posting.

So I am done. Go PSU, For the Glory and "May No Act of Ours Bring Shame".

giphy.gif

This is Obliviax. Thanks for the well wishes. I am just fine; in fact never better.

As a poster, I am out. I will still continue to lurk from time to time. But as a poster I am out.

A year ago, I quit watching the news and reading the newspaper. I now get my news by searching for direct quotes and making up my own mind. I got tired of people telling me the news (which was often, perhaps usually, wrong) and what I should think. It started with the press and Paterno during the JS affair. Basically, a total and complete disgust with "the system". I found myself in a much better place.

I decided to seek positivity. I stopped watching gloomy movies, TV shows, and (for the most part) avoid whiners.

It got to the point where this board was the source of, or what was left of, my aggravation. If someone talks about a weakness on the team that needs to be overcome, they are personally hammered. I've learned that every team member and coach is simultaneously a genius and a fool. I learned PSU is the best and worst university in the nation. I learned that everyone must be of a single mind in matters such as gun control, abortion, religion and police brutality. And, God (whomever that is) forbid someone try to make a joke or light of any situation (most pointedly, eagle and steeler fans).

I've got a few years left to make a difference and leave a legacy. The negativity doesn't help. I am trying to maintain my energy and effectiveness as I enter the autumn of my life.

No bitterness. This is what happens, I guess, in every forum and social media outlet. Frankly, it simply isn't helpful. And I've spent far too many hours posting.

giphy.gif
Best of luck in your new focus!

Reactions: bytir

giphy.gif
All the best to you. We had plenty of disagreements in the past and surely don't see eye to eye on a number of topics. However, you seem like a decent person and I wish you peace and happiness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT