ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen Obliviax lately?

He made his picks in the football contest for week 4 but not for week 5.
OBI please come out and play

He was a prolific poster, but I saw that he hasn't posted anything since the end of August. I hope everything is OK with him.

He had a rough outing with some folks in that Eagles/autism thread - think that may have been his line in the sand. I met Obli once in Cleveland (we had lunch) and had a nice chat - around 2008 or 2009. Nice guy - would be great to see him post again (here, not on the Test Board - ewww.).

He had a rough outing with some folks in that Eagles/autism thread - think that may have been his line in the sand. I met Obli once in Cleveland (we had lunch) and had a nice chat - around 2008 or 2009. Nice guy - would be great to see him post again (here, not on the Test Board - ewww.).
Yes, he’d lately become more willing to mix it up with other posters and that autism thread went south really quickly.

Yes, he’d lately become more willing to mix it up with other posters and that autism thread went south really quickly.

What happened in the autism thread?

Is it possible the Obli is NoBareFeet? Hmmm

Obli is one of my favorite posters.

His post-game Obli's Observations was always worth reading, and he contributed plenty besides that.

Come on back, Obli; we need you to get thru the season.

Agreed.

Reactions: royboy
Are you sure he wasn't banned? People get mighty sensitive about the Eagles 'round these parts...

Are you sure he wasn't banned? People get mighty sensitive about the Eagles 'round these parts...

Obli has been on here for about 15 years and never a trouble maker, I can’t imagine that’s the case.

He had started getting slightly salty on the test board, but it’s the test board

Reactions: m.knox
Obli has been on here for about 15 years and never a trouble maker, I can’t imagine that’s the case.

He had started getting slightly salty on the test board, but it’s the test board

His attempt at humor in the thread was poorly timed and ill advised, and he got pounded for it. Had he said it at a tailgate with folks in person it likely has zero shelf life.

True but I do that daily in here and I’m not banned. Well once I was, ha. For defending TJ of all people after they deleted one of his posts.
Speaking of TJ and missing posters, it's about a year exactly since TJ last posted here; had a total of over 98,000 posts. Have seen nothing specific, but I assume he has joined the BWI In Memoriam list.

True but I do that daily in here and I’m not banned. Well once I was, ha. For defending TJ of all people after they deleted one of his posts.

I don’t think he’s banned - I think he took his ball and went home.

Here. I started the thread - “Iggles lead the way”

It wasn’t that bad. Hell, we just had bigger battles over the old geezer’s letter to Sutherland.

But Obli has been gone for awhile. That’s not good

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-iggles-lead-the-way.244245/page-2
OK, thanks. I hope he didn't get banned. Good poster and generally more level headed than most. Certainly more so than one of the antagonistic posters on this very thread.

Reactions: m.knox
The a-hole quotient on the message boards keeps rising. It's like the bad are driving out the good. There's no way to even take part in discussions without abuse from strangers.

Some of it is so bizarre, it's just hard to believe there are that many completely unhinged people out there -- I truly wonder if automated bots are generating some of it. We know Putin is plowing tens of billions of dollars into a worldwide disinformation campaign trying to basically poison western democracies.

You'd think sports boards would be a low priority for Putin -- but if they can create bots and automate these posts ...why not? Once you've built one bot for Rivals, it's easy to unleash it on all the boards. It doesn't cost anything.

Reactions: PS4814
The a-hole quotient on the message boards keeps rising. It's like the bad are driving out the good. There's no way to even take part in discussions without abuse from strangers.

Some of it is so bizarre, it's just hard to believe there are that many completely unhinged people out there -- I truly wonder if automated bots are generating some of it. We know Putin is plowing tens of billions of dollars into a worldwide disinformation campaign trying to basically poison western democracies.

You'd think sports boards would be a low priority for Putin -- but if they can create bots and automate these posts ...why not? Once you've built one bot for Rivals, it's easy to unleash it on all the boards. It doesn't cost anything.

Wow.

We know Putin is plowing tens of billions of dollars into a worldwide disinformation campaign trying to basically poison western democracies.

Is this their goal? A friend and I have an online roll playing game (roll playing pro wrestling game) and we constantly get signups from automated "hackers" from random eastern bloc nations.

We know it's a gigantic effort run by the Kremlin (actually the Red Army). Only in the last year the west has uncovered the code names and the leaders. We know it was already so huge in 2016 that it created tens of millions of fake Facebook identities and then used them to post disinformation on any Facebook-related discussion sites. And they created hundreds of fake Facebook groups like "Steelworkers for Trump" where the fake identifies were designed to fool people into thinking they were part of a mass movement. Kind of like political catfishing.

On the other hand a lot of what people experience is just organized crime not just from Russia but from 100 other countries.

And what we have here on the bwi list is probably, unfortunately, just a proliferation of a-holes. But things have gotten so much worse, you have to wonder what's causing it.

Is this their goal? A friend and I have an online roll playing game (roll playing pro wrestling game) and we constantly get signups from automated "hackers" from random eastern bloc nations.

We know it's a gigantic effort run by the Kremlin (actually the Red Army). Only in the last year the west has uncovered the code names and the leaders. We know it was already so huge in 2016 that it created tens of millions of fake Facebook identities and then used them to post disinformation on any Facebook-related discussion sites. And they created hundreds of fake Facebook groups like "Steelworkers for Trump" where the fake identifies were designed to fool people into thinking they were part of a mass movement. Kind of like political catfishing.

On the other hand a lot of what people experience is just organized crime not just from Russia but from 100 other countries.

And what we have here on the bwi list is probably, unfortunately, just a proliferation of a-holes. But things have gotten so much worse, you have to wonder what's causing it.

I blame Jay.

Reactions: Ski

I would comment on that but its outside my programming.

All of that aside tboyer, you have been on here since 2002. Then you must know, that when we are winning, this is the way it is.
It has always been like this. Back in 2002, 2004, things were nice a quiet and then bam, 2005 came along and out came the trolls.
Remember MBE?

Then again, one thing that has changed from then to now is the troll culture. That didn't really exist back then as much, especially among older folks.

Reactions: BBrown
You are correct and it's a shame.

I've said this before, but some people tend to fight too hard to support their position, when in reality, fighting for your position here isn't likely to change anybody's mind. I can usually tell as soon as a thread starts that it's not going to end well. It can be the simplest thing, football related or other. The wrong choice of one word. Probably an innocent mistake in many cases.

I changed my handle a while back for an undisclosed reason, but I have been a poster (mostly a lurker) on this board since the plotit days, I THINK about 1996. Since '96, the back and forth has changed dramatically. In addition to the antagonizers, there are a lot of posters today who cannot accept different points of view without the discussion turning rude with name calling and all that BS. I think I know a few reasons why, but I am certainly not going to put it here.

I actually searched the Cleveland paper a few weeks ago for a possible obit. I met him at a game a few years ago so I know his real first name, his approximate age and think his last name is rather long. No matches even close thank God.
Seriously that's very good news...
but the disappointing part is that his real first name apparently is NOT "Obli" :eek:

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I actually searched the Cleveland paper a few weeks ago for a possible obit. I met him at a game a few years ago so I know his real first name, his approximate age and think his last name is rather long. No matches even close thank God.
probly just busy with his Toronto start-up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT