ADVERTISEMENT

Hammond and McCutcheon

Lion-around

Sep 26, 2012
Moss, Law, Hammond and McCutcheon are all freshman wrestlers for Penn State. I expect that Moss and Law will be replaced as starters next year by Zain and Jason Nolf (assuming Jason goes at 157). I did think that Hammond and McCutcheon had stronger prospects for being long-term starters. Yet, I have seen nothing in the performances of Hammond and McCutcheon, to date, which have shown any improvement at all on the mat. Of the two, Hammond will probably get strong starting competition next year from Rasheed; I don't see anyone on the staff seriously challenging McCutcheon (possible Phipps?). Given that McCutcheon is probably more of a long-term starter prospect than Hammond, I've been really looking for any sign of improvement in McCutcheon. I would have expected he would have won at least one of the matches between Courts and/or Pfarr for some indication of improvement. Those matches were disappointing.

I don't think Cael was indulging in coach-speak when he felt confident that PSU would be in strong contention for a fifth straight national championship this year; however, I believe he based this on what he perceived would be improved performances by both Hammond and McCutcheon as the team wrestled through the dual schedule. Lacking those improved performances I think the prospects for another championship in March are not strong. In addition, I'm sure he would have liked to see Hammond and McCutcheon go a long way to making a statement to be the starter in 2016; that hasn't happened. A healthy Rasheed may be the answer at 165 next year (if he can make that weight); not sure we have any answers for 2016 at 184. Getting the right wrestler at those two weight classes could be the key to a successful 2016.

it's early in both of these guys' careers. no two wrestlers are alike, but i recall tank being very mediocre his first year, then catching fire in the nats to finish 8th, i believe. that was followed by three more aa yrs culminating in a title his senior year. not saying this will happen to garret & matt, but the possiblity is there.

Cael is ABSOLUTELY engaging in coach-speak when it comes to the team's chances of winning a NC this March. Sure, that is always the goal, and at this time, with this program nothing else can come out of his mouth.

But we are RSing two starters that are significant upgrades in regards to points in March. Significant. We are RSing a freshman who is a significant upgrade in regards to points in March. Again, significant. We may be RSing another freshman who would be an upgrade in points in March (depending on a weight shift) - that is debatable, and personally I think the RS is needed for him - but I also feel as if he wrestled by years end he may have been an upgrade. Cael has also shown no reluctance in putting a true freshman out there if he is ready to AA and there is definitely one that is ready.

You don't RS all those points with an eye on the NC this year. You suck it up and hope for improvement from the young guys who you are putting out there in hopes they can add in the coming years.

Hammond - maybe his future is at 57 if Nolf keeps growing as expected. No idea with how his weight is at 65. Maybe he is the 65 and he develops further to help out for the next 3 years. Manville's coming, Nolf's growing - who knows?

McCutcheon - doesn't look like a 97 to me, although Morgan hasn't always looked like a 97 to me either. With how high they are on Rasheed and Nickal's length, something may have to give in 2016-17. Maybe he starts packing on the muscle.

Cael is ABSOLUTELY engaging in coach-speak when it comes to the team's chances of winning a NC this March. Sure, that is always the goal, and at this time, with this program nothing else can come out of his mouth.

For now, I'll just respectfully disagree. While the 2015 Southern Scuffle did not have the same level of competition as the 2014 Scuffle (no Minnesota), PSU was not favored in that tournament and won without a champion at any weight class. If either Hammond or McCutcheon wins their match against the Gophers, we win the dual. Against tOSU, I would have expected a win by McCutcheon against Courts; we'd have lost that match by a point, but with a win we would have been as good as tOSU in my opinion. Iowa will be very tough; if DA wrestles, 157 is probably the only weight class where we are favored. We should be competitive at 125, 133, 174 and 197. If Hammond and McCutcheon had shown continued improvement during the season, than 165 and 184 could be competitive as Iowa's Moore at 165 is #9 and Brooks at 184 is #8; however, right now Hammond and McCutcheon are not competitive at their level. IMHO Iowa, not Minnesota, is the team to beat for the team title and that's the team we need to see how we stack up against.

So my basic point was that an improving, competitive Hammond and McCutcheon would put us in the fight for the title; that is what I think Cael's expectations were at the start of the season.

Have to agree with diecmen99 on this one. There is no way in the world Cael believes this team can win the title this year. He was simply engaging in coach-speak to motivate his guys to meet their full potential. The Minny coach acknowledged that Cael took his team out of competition for the title with the Zain/Nico redshirts and while it may have been a low-class thing to say (especially when he wasn't directly asked that question), he's spot on.

Now, next year...we are the big fave to win it all!!!

Originally posted by NittanyChris:
Have to agree with diecmen99 on this one. There is no way in the world Cael believes this team can win the title this year. He was simply engaging in coach-speak to motivate his guys to meet their full potential. The Minny coach acknowledged that Cael took his team out of competition for the title with the Zain/Nico redshirts and while it may have been a low-class thing to say (especially when he wasn't directly asked that question), he's spot on.

Now, next year...we are the big fave to win it all!!!
You obviously do not know Cael...or Casey or Cody for that matter.

As far as against Minny, I was a little dissapointed in Hammond. He was coming off of two good wins, and before that competitive matches against tOSU's Jordan and IU's Walsh. It appeared to me anyway, that GH was making some progress. Wanzek was coming off of two losses and dispite being ranked higher than Hammond, I felt GH had a better than 50-50 chance. I really didn't believe McCutcheon was going to beat Pfarr. Pfarr beat Courts pretty easily and took Dean to OT at Vegas. Pre season I thought McCutcheon could AA. Not because of anything I saw on the mat, but I recall an interview where Cael gave Cutch a ringing endorsment. Also, former resident insider and occasionally surly sage, Jon Doe, was making some grandiose predictions for Matt. At this point I would predict the BEST we can expect at NCAA's is 2-2 for Hammond , and round of 12 for McCutcheon.

To the point of coach-speak from CS, thats a difficult question. I don't think there is any doubt Cael Sanderson is a positive thinking person. If CS is gulity of taking a little nip of his own Kool aid, I guess I wouldn't be all that shocked. Lets face it, things have fallen in place rather nicely, even inexplicably at times during this run of championships. For example, Quentin Wright looked a shell of himself in 2011 after injuring his shoulder. Q came from the 8th seed to take BIGs, and that only got him the 9th seed at NCAA's where he wrestled like a man possessed to win the championship. PSU doesn't win without Q's miraculous turnaround. Last season, Minny chocked hard at B1Gs but made a hell of a run at the NCAAs. Up steps James English of all people out of nowhere to take 7th! The kid had been injured most of the season. Many were not happy Cael even picked English over A Alton or Beitz, but the points he scored in all likelihood were the difference. Just maybe, Cael believes guys are going to step up again this year when the time comes. The results from the Scuffle, even without Minnesota, only reinforceing his belief. Of course it would be, by far, Cael's biggest coup yet if Penn St pulled it off with the guys that are redshirting. IMO, even if it wasn't coach-speak in pre season, it likely is now with time for significant improvement running low, and D Alton with another injury.

I would agree with Lion-around that Iowa is likely the favorite at this point, but only slightly. That said they have badly underperformed at the last couple NCAA tournaments. Last year in particular, after giving PSU a run at B1Gs only to fall to a distant 4th at nationals. Along with Alton I would call McIntosh a favorite against Iowa, he is 2-0 against Burak, granted both close matches. Also, Lawson only lost by a point to Telford last year, that match should be competitive.

I always reserve a little more patience for freshmen in the lineup, especially when they were not rated in top quarter of the recruiting rankings.

These two are replacing two of the greatest wrestlers in PSU history, so the drop off is gigantic. Hammond looked OK at times but I would be stunned if he gets a win or two at the NCAA's. He is only a RSFR, but he is nowhere near the top guys in the weigh imho.

MM I've been more disappointed by. There have been some matches where he did absolutely nothing. Take the OSU match for example. I don't think he took one shot. I am more concerned by him then hammond. He is further away from being an AA then Hammond is.

I think people were fooled by JohnDoe as well as he always had inside info and we extremely high on MM. At one point I think he was predicting a high AA and even competing for a shot at the title. THat prediction couldn't be further from the truth. So that is also skewing things.

Doe seems to be taking some unfair knocks ...

I could be mistaken, but I thought his comment was that Cutch felt he could be National Champ, and who was he to disagree with him. I keep reading that folks had Doe predicting a high AA or even competing for the Championship, but that's not what I recall him posting.

As always, my memory is not perfect, so perhaps Doe did make the claim that others have stated.

Tom

Re: Doe seems to be taking some unfair knocks ...

I seem to remember John Doe had a post where just about everyone in the PSU lineup was an AA; I believe he even admitted he had his blue and white Kool-Ade glasses on. I'm not sure if that was the post where he caught enough blow back that it caused him to stop posting here. Wish he were back; he provided some valuable insights.

The post was on Aug 29. Someone cut and pasted it on the Scout board. This is what Doe wrote: "McCutcheon - I believe he will be top 2 ! Last time he wrestled Bo... Bo said to him... you are way better than Gabe Dean. "

Originally posted by Tom McAndrew:

I could be mistaken, but I thought his comment was that Cutch felt he could be National Champ, and who was he to disagree with him. I keep reading that folks had Doe predicting a high AA or even competing for the Championship, but that's not what I recall him posting.

As always, my memory is not perfect, so perhaps Doe did make the claim that others have stated.

Tom
Didn't Doe make some other outlandish prediction that Hammond was going to be something special too? He made some good predictions, but he almost drowned in his blue white barrel when he made other predictions.

Also said Gulibon was going to high AA last year. Had some good information from the room but he wore very blue tinted glasses all the time when predicting PSU wrestlers. MM has never shown high AA potential, JD downfall was when he thought he was greater than the board [ if somebody disagreed with him he would have a childish meltdown}. That is why he isn't posting anymore, took his toys home and not sharing.

Unfortunately nothing tonight changed my initial post regarding Hammond and McCutcheon. McCutcheon is definitely the bigger concern as I don't see any good near-term serious competition for him as starter at 184.

This post was edited on 1/30 9:34 PM by Lion-around

Originally posted by Lion-around:
Unfortunately nothing tonight changed my initial post regarding Hammond and McCutcheon. McCutcheon is definitely the bigger concern as I don't see any good near-term serious competition for him as starter at 184.

This post was edited on 1/30 9:34 PM by Lion-around
Think its a possibility next year that Rasheed goes 174 and Nickal goes 184?

It is possible IMHO. I believe Cael indicated at one point that Rasheed was recruited to wrestle at 165 and he MAY be getting bigger than they initially thought; so he could go 174. I would think Nickal could bump up a weight as well. That would still leave a spot to be filled at 165. Lots of things to speculate on.

I was interested to see Frey go at 157 against Michigan. I wonder if he won the spot over Law if DA can't wrestle? More speculation.

Who is Nevills backfill next year if we need one?

It is possible IMHO. I believe Cael indicated at one point that Rasheed was recruited to wrestle at 165 and he MAY be getting bigger than they initially thought; so he could go 174. I would think Nickal could bump up a weight as well. That would still leave a spot to be filled at 165. Lots of things to speculate on.

I was interested to see Frey go at 157 against Michigan. I wonder if he won the spot over Law if DA can't wrestle? More speculation.

Who is Nevills backfill next year if we need one?
As long as we are speculating Brian Brill is now on the roster and listed at 165. At 285 right now we have no one. I assume there will be at least one walkon in the current freshman class at 285.

Nevills backup at this point would be Cassar, I assume. Definitely a position in need of a highend walkon and fast.

From Brill's collegiate results through his first two years, it looks like he is a LONG way from ever contributing. Hopefully, I am wrong, but he's 2 years in with 1 year in a top 20 room, so I'm not expecting him to usurp a spot any time soon.

Manville comes in next year, but will probably need a redshirt. Next year could go:

125 - Nico or JC

133 - Jimmy G

141 - Zain

149 - Beitz - Joeseph will redshirt and compete the following year

157 - Nolf

165 - Hanmond - Manville redshirt and compete the following year

174 - Bo or Rasheed

184 - Bo or MM. We haven't seen much of Bo and not sure what Rasheed can do, but if both guys beat up MM, then Rasheed needs to go 174 and Bo 184. Both guys have the frame to handle the weight.

197 - Morgan - concerned about this weight going forward.

HWY - Nevills - obviously Nevills is the guy the next 4 years. Need a solid back up in case of injury.

PSU will be awful tough to beat next year. Minny loses 5 or 6 guys. Iowa should be strong though.

This post was edited on 2/1 11:49 AM by cpn1sgm

Manville is a HS JR. He arrives Fall 2016.

Brill is a long way from being a viable starter. From his results at Mat Town and the NLO, you'd never guess he was a fairly dominant PA state champ. Maybe there's some hope for next year or 2017. For the rest of this year, he's a workout partner.

PSU will be awful tough to beat next year. Minny loses 5 or 6 guys. Iowa should be strong though.

I believe Iowa loses 5 senior starters as well; however, I always expect Iowa to be in the mix to win it all.

197 - Morgan - concerned about this weight going forward.
I'll be interested to see how Bryan Stout's son Kellan develops during his RS year. Kid's still growing into his frame and has a lot of ability.

I believe Iowa loses 5 senior starters as well; however, I always expect Iowa to be in the mix to win it all.
Iowa loses Dziewa, Kelly, Moore, Evans & Telford. I have no clue what they have on the bench to replace them but those are pretty significant losses, although not as bad as what Minnesota loses.

Me too. Cautiously optimistic -- we may have found a diamond in the rough.

Here are Stout's results so far this year (primarily at 182): 25-0, 9 pins, 3 forfeits, 6 TF, 4 MD, 3 regular decisions.

He won Powerade with 2 TFs, 2 MDs, and a 7-0 win in the finals.

He'll be favored to win states this year. Could really get pushed by Stroudsburg's John Jakobsen and maybe also tested by Cedar Cliff's Josh Colello. Jakobsen won King of the Mountain, won Escape the Rock, 2nd at the Bethlehem Holiday Classic (lost in OT to Wyoming Seminary's Chris Dietrich). Colello was 5th at both Powerade and the Beast.

Regarding Iowa's losses, they have at least 3 guys ready to step in now:

Meyer was 3rd at Midlands (and we saw him deck Brunson). He's ready to follow Evans. Grothus will likely return to their starting lineup. Stoll looks ready to compete next year, and heavy really clears out. I'd guess a R12 candidate, maybe higher as we see how 285 shakes out.

Goofers are in far worse shape. Thorn can probably go 141. Kingsley seems to have outgrown 157 but maybe can go 174. After that ... tumbleweeds. Plus they don't have any Clarks or Gilmans returning.

tOSU looks to be in pretty good shape next season. Sure, losing an all time great in Logan Stieber is significant, but thats about it. Demas will be gone but with M Jordan ready to step at 57, and Haines maybe pushing Tavanello at 285, tOSU will surely be a favorite next season.

Concerning McCutcheon, I am not throwing in the towel on him just yet. The kid has held his own against most of the top guys in close losses and beaten some guys with talent. He has wins over Milkus (currently ranked 9th), Dudley (seeded 8th at 2014 NCAAs) and Bernstein who AAed last year. He also has close loses to many of the top ranked 184s (Thomas, Thomusseit, and Brown). His other loses have all been to guys ranked ahead off him including abeing pinned by Abounater (who incidently lost to Rizqualla).

What I see is a bit of Jimmy Guilabon (inconsistant RS freshman year) and Morgan MacIntosh (quite a difficutl time dealing with taller guys). He has shown some real nice flashes but wrestled some head scratchers for sure. Freshmen will do that. I look at the progress Moss has made this year and we shouldn't expect the word of him despite what John Doe had predicted.

Sure we can be a bit disappointed in some of his performances, Hell I'm sure Cael and he, himself,is not happy about some of them.
This post was edited on 2/1 11:48 PM by BDB57

Cael is going to have a lot of options next year when piecing together his best line-up. One thing I've taken away from this year so far is that none of the 4 Freshman starters have solidified a spot for next year.

Nico, Zane, Rasheed and the 3 Ns should make for an interesting room.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:
Regarding Iowa's losses, they have at least 3 guys ready to step in now:

Meyer was 3rd at Midlands (and we saw him deck Brunson). He's ready to follow Evans. Grothus will likely return to their starting lineup. Stoll looks ready to compete next year, and heavy really clears out. I'd guess a R12 candidate, maybe higher as we see how 285 shakes out.

Goofers are in far worse shape. Thorn can probably go 141. Kingsley seems to have outgrown 157 but maybe can go 174. After that ... tumbleweeds. Plus they don't have any Clarks or Gilmans returning.
I don't see us having a wrestler in the top 12 at every weight next year, but I suspect we will be a top 3 team and in the conversation come March. Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, Brooks and Burak all come back, which is a nice 5 to start with. Additionally, I would guess that Grothus, Stoll and Meyer will find their way into the lineup, which only really leaves a couple of question marks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT