Greenies will be freaking out

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
So lithium is a key ingredient for batteries for electric vehicles, batteries for large storage systems, and most other battery driven electronics like phones, laptops, yard tools, and an endless list. Lithium has gone way up as demand increases .....$6000/ton to over $40,000. So where are we gonna get more lithium as demand skyrockets when EV manufacturing explodes?

One source just might be frack water! Thats right, water from fracking for natural gas and oil is high in lithium and may become a source for it. And it might even be possible to add the proper chemicals to fracking fluids so that wells produce nat gas, oil, and more lithium all at the same time. Interesting development.

Last edited:

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
So lithium is a key ingredient for batteries for electric vehicles, batteries for large storage systems, and most other battery driven electronics like phones, laptops, yard tools, and an endless list. Lithium has gone way up as demand increases .....$6000/ton to over $40,000. So where are we gonna get more lithium as demand skyrockets when EV manufacturing explodes.

One source just might be frack water! Thats right, water from fracking for natural gas and oil is high in lithium and may become a source for it. And it might even be possible to add the proper chemicals to fracking fluids so that wells produce nat gas, oil, and more lithium all at the same time. Interesting development.

Yeah, but frackers use uranium, radium and mercury in those wells, right @LafayetteBear?

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010
So lithium is a key ingredient for batteries for electric vehicles, batteries for large storage systems, and most other battery driven electronics like phones, laptops, yard tools, and an endless list. Lithium has gone way up as demand increases .....$6000/ton to over $40,000. So where are we gonna get more lithium as demand skyrockets when EV manufacturing explodes.

This kind of thing is exactly why I’m not convinced that electric vehicles are viable. I’m not against electric vehicles, but I just don’t think the unintended consequences or after effects of production, maintenance, disposal of materials and other similar logistical requirements has been fully considered on the scale needed to make them viable over the short term let alone the long term. Anytime extremism (environmental extremism) drives innovation it usually results in either complete failure to achieve a goal or creates other even more significant and overlooked or under anticipated problems than you started with.

Time will tell if I’m right or wrong, but right now I don’t have a good sense that electric vehicles are the most viable single answer to scaling back on fossil fuels. As an Engineer, it just doesn’t feel like the right short term or long term single solution to me.

Last edited:

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Funny how they have been fighting fracking for over a decade. Calling it the destruction of the planet, the environment, and civilization. Gonna lead to mass extinction.

But now it could be a key source of their wet dream solution to ICE vehicles. Their heads will explode..... amusing more pollution!