ADVERTISEMENT

Great Time to be a (Penn State) Wrestling Fan

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Not JUST Penn State, though I think it's extra special. Looked at my calendar, and wow, wrestling overload ;):):), in the next 12 months.

-- PSU Regular Season, November through February
-- Olympic trials qualifiers (Dec. 20-22, to name one)
-- March 7-8, Big Ten's
-- March 13-15, Pan-American Olympic Weight Qualifier
-- March 19-21, NCAA Championship
-- April 4-5, OLYMPIC TRIALS, State College
-- Final Olympic Weight Qualifier, April 30-May 3
-- OLYMPICS (July 24-August 9, wrestling is Aug. 2-8)
-- and more!!

So, are we to expect everyone except Snyder and Burroughs at the Olympic trials qualifier in December? Meaning, is there a "sit-to-the finals" incentive for weights where we had no medalist (57, 65, 86, 125)?

So, are we to expect everyone except Snyder and Burroughs at the Olympic trials qualifier in December? Meaning, is there a "sit-to-the finals" incentive for weights where we had no medalist (57, 65, 86, 125)?
Dake and Cox have a bye to the semis at whatever weight they decide to go, even 97kg if Cox moves up. Otherwise, everyone else is starting from scratch. Burroughs and Snyder are the only ones who won't wrestle on day one b/c they're the only ones sitting in the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemonPie
Cox vs Snyder is the match (or matches) I want to see. (And yeah, I just tee'd one up for the Beavis and Buttheads out there. Not that i'm above that, I just truly want to see that match or matches).

Dake and Cox have a bye to the semis at whatever weight they decide to go, even 97kg if Cox moves up. Otherwise, everyone else is starting from scratch. Burroughs and Snyder are the only ones who won't wrestle on day one b/c they're the only ones sitting in the finals.

to clarify, dake and cox will sit in the "part A" semifinals. so if they move to a weight with a returning world medalist (74kg or 97kg) they will sit in what's effectively the quarterfinals, since there's a "part B" where the winner of the "part A" finals faces the returning world medalist. if they move to 86kg, then the "part A" semis are the real semis because there is no returning world medalist.

Reactions: Nittany-1
The only people who will be at the qualifier are the people who are not yet qualified for the trials. So no Zain, no Fix, no Gwiz, etc.

to clarify, dake and cox will sit in the "part A" semifinals. so if they move to a weight with a returning world medalist (74kg or 97kg) they will sit in what's effectively the quarterfinals, since there's a "part B" where the winner of the "part A" finals faces the returning world medalist. if they move to 86kg, then the "part A" semis are the real semis because there is no returning world medalist.
Right, see this post for a chart demonstrating the exact scenario and this page [pdf] for more details.

Sorry if I missed it.. Is Cox going up? I thought he might still come down to wrestle David?

Sorry if I missed it.. Is Cox going up? I thought he might still come down to wrestle David?
Popular opinion seems to want Cox to go up and not down (to see if he can knock off Sadulaev and take the "p4p" crown). Cox hasn't announced what he's doing yet--though he did ask fans what he should do in his post-worlds interview.

Popular opinion seems to want Cox to go up and not down (to see if he can knock off Sadulaev and take the "p4p" crown). Cox hasn't announced what he's doing yet--though he did ask fans what he should do in his post-worlds interview.
Thank you !

Anything but Dake and Cox wrestling each other to try to make the team. That matchup highlights the absurdity of 6 weight classes. Dake is not a big guy.

Anything but Dake and Cox wrestling each other to try to make the team. That matchup highlights the absurdity of 6 weight classes. Dake is not a big guy.
The interesting thing is that either Dake or Cox would likely medal at 86kg, and Yazdani is there so there's a legitimate challenge to chase. I think Dake very likely goes to 74kg and I think he beats Burroughs. With Cox I really don't know, but I do recall rumors that he was having problems holding 86kg. Sadulaev is P4P #1 at 97kg, so bumping up to beat him in the Olympics would move Cox into the all-time greats conversation. I think he can beat Snyder, who isn't quite what he was, despite being very young still.

I've seen a few people speculate that Bo would try out for 97kg but I think it's more likely he goes 86kg, regardless whether DT will also be there. Recall when he wrestled Cox at the 92kg Final X he weighed in something like 9 pounds under.

I've seen a few people speculate that Bo would try out for 97kg but I think it's more likely he goes 86kg, regardless whether DT will also be there. Recall when he wrestled Cox at the 92kg Final X he weighed in something like 9 pounds under.
Dumb question, but if Bo wanted to go 86 kg for the Olympics, why not go 86 kg at this year's World Team Trials? He would've had to cut only 4 lb over several months.

Also, with Taylor hurt, if he had won the spot and medaled, then he would've had the clearest possible path for the Olympics.

Dumb question, but if Bo wanted to go 86 kg for the Olympics, why not go 86 kg at this year's World Team Trials? He would've had to cut only 4 lb over several months.

Also, with Taylor hurt, if he had won the spot and medaled, then he would've had the clearest possible path for the Olympics.

Not dumb question at all, you proved a very good point.

The interesting thing is that either Dake or Cox would likely medal at 86kg, and Yazdani is there so there's a legitimate challenge to chase. I think Dake very likely goes to 74kg and I think he beats Burroughs. With Cox I really don't know, but I do recall rumors that he was having problems holding 86kg. Sadulaev is P4P #1 at 97kg, so bumping up to beat him in the Olympics would move Cox into the all-time greats conversation. I think he can beat Snyder, who isn't quite what he was, despite being very young still.

I think back to the FLO movie with DT and Dake. I'm sure they rolled together at some point before, but would they train like that together if Dake was planning on challenging DT? These guys are so elite and confident, I agree with you, I think Dake wants to beat Burroughs and Cox is gunning for Snyder and Sadulaev.

Taylor got hurt after (I think right after) Bo had won the tournament to wrestle Cox for 92kg at Final X. So Bo was locked in at that point, unless I'm missing something. As for not going 86kg to start with, perhaps he realized he couldn't beat Taylor yet (being as familiar as he undoubtedly is) and thought he had a better chance beating Cox at 92kg this year.

I dunno, I'm speculating. But he's still much closer in weight to 86kg than 97kg right now.

Beat the Streets was May 8. The WTT challenge tourney was May 17-18.
Okay, I was wrong about the precise timing of the injury, but Taylor didn't announce he wouldn't be able to wrestle at worlds until May 24. So going into the trials, Bo wouldn't have known Taylor wasn't going unless Taylor told Bo before trials, which would necessarily mean Taylor made his decision to not wrestle at worlds more than a week before he announced it.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I for one would love to see Dake, DT and Cox back to back to back, and think it might be our best path to 3 medals and maybe even 3 golds... I can dream.

Reactions: diggerpup
Okay, I was wrong about the precise timing of the injury, but Taylor didn't announce he wouldn't be able to wrestle at worlds until May 24. So going into the trials, Bo wouldn't have known Taylor wasn't going unless Taylor told Bo before trials, which would necessarily mean Taylor made his decision to not wrestle at worlds more than a week before he announced it.

I seriously doubt Bo didn't know until Taylor told the world -- either was told privately, or figured it out on his own. Bo has seen injuries and recoveries a few times in Lorenzo. Seeing Taylor daily would give him a good idea. Not seeing him daily would give him a better idea. That of course doesn't mean he knew in time for the event.

In any case, he still chose to go 9 lb light against the defending World Champ, at a non-Olympic weight. A curious decision if he's not planning to go up next year. Testing the waters in Year 1 of the Olympic cycle is a lot different than in Year 3.

We commonly discuss weights of these guys - but does anyone actually know how tall they all are ??

Dake doesn’t not have a big frame. And he looks absolutely jacked at 79kg. I don’t know if he could be a full 86kg. Dake can’t be taller than 5’-9”.

Cox isn’t super tall. But I don’t think Snyder is either. Are both around 5’-10”, 5’-11”? Maybe Cox is 5’-11”
And Snyder is a tad over 6ft?

Taylor seems like he may be 6’-0” or so.

We commonly discuss weights of9 these guys - but does anyone actually know how tall they all are ??

Dake doesn’t not have a big frame. And he looks absolutely jacked at 79kg. I don’t know if he could be a full 86kg. Dake can’t be taller than 5’-9”.

Cox isn’t super tall. But I don’t think Snyder is either. Are both around 5’-10”, 5’-11”? Maybe Cox is 5’-11”

Cox is definitely taller than Snyder, who is 5' 10" based on standing next to him. Dake around 5' 9" sounds right. DT is somewhere north of 6 feet.

We commonly discuss weights of these guys - but does anyone actually know how tall they all are ??

I briefly talked to Dake in Cleveland. Last year in Pittsburgh, I'm standing by the entrance at the hotel next to the arena, someone had swiped my Uber. I'm on my cell with the driver, and got a little heated. I turn around and there is Dake chuckling at me eating a bag of chips. I'm 6 feet even. I'd go as far as to say Dake can't be over 5'8". And he's obviously not thick like a Smack or Conel. It's pretty amazing to me that he gave Cox the hell that he did.

I just remember thinking, man this guy is small. As opposed to being next to Joel Edwards many years ago and thinking man this dude is yuge.

sdkdmZh.jpg

f1tU98w.jpg

rzPr5XX.jpg

F0Vv6Ak.jpg

I wondered the same, especially after his weigh in--what are we missing???

I seriously doubt Bo didn't know until Taylor told the world -- either was told privately, or figured it out on his own. Bo has seen injuries and recoveries a few times in Lorenzo. Seeing Taylor daily would give him a good idea. Not seeing him daily would give him a better idea. That of course doesn't mean he knew in time for the event.

In any case, he still chose to go 9 lb light against the defending World Champ, at a non-Olympic weight. A curious decision if he's not planning to go up next year. Testing the waters in Year 1 of the Olympic cycle is a lot different than in Year 3.
At the time of that decision Bo was evidently walking around approx. 20lbs lighter than 97kg with less than a year to go before Olympic trials. I get how wrestling 92kg better prepares you to wrestle 97kg but tend to think that if Bo would have known that the 86kg US team spot was practically his (he'd already beaten Downey, and easily) with that easy a cut, he'd have chosen that over wrestling a best of three with J'Den Cox and bulking up 20+lbs over the next 11 months to wrestle at 97kg/212lbs. But bulking up may have been the plan and they saw no reason to change up, even with a world team spot practically being served up on a platter. I mean, if I order a hamburger and steak shows up I'm not sending the steak back. We'll see soon enough though what the plan is.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT