ADVERTISEMENT

Good news -- Irv Charles "game-time decision" according to Franklin

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
This is a big relief to me given the rumors earlier in the week. I think Charles has a big future at PSU if he can stay on track. His special teams work has been so great, his downfield blocking is as good as it gets. If he's progressing the same way as a receiver he could be set up for a huge 2018 opposite Juwanson. Sometimes I wonder if the backups realize how much we notice. Well I notice Irv Charles every time he's on the field, and I can see the improvement.

This is a big relief to me given the rumors earlier in the week. I think Charles has a big future at PSU if he can stay on track. His special teams work has been so great, his downfield blocking is as good as it gets. If he's progressing the same way as a receiver he could be set up for a huge 2018 opposite Juwanson. Sometimes I wonder if the backups realize how much we notice. Well I notice Irv Charles every time he's on the field, and I can see the improvement.
D’Andre Thompkins is opposite Juwan now. Maybr Irv will get Blacknall’s reps. I guess Polk will be in the slot unless one of the ‘17 class slot guys beat him out.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
D’Andre Thompkins is opposite Juwan now. Maybr Irv will get Blacknall’s reps. I guess Polk will be in the slot unless one of the ‘17 class slot guys beat him out.

Really thought Polk would have a larger role this year. Seemed to fill a position that we didn't have last year...speedy, slot receiver.

maybe. but maybe they move people around next year. I wonder if Thompkins might be a better candidate for the slot with Ham gone.

WR is not like O line or D line, if you aren't getting a ton of PT by the end of your sophomore year, then it's likely that you will be passed on the depth chart for a younger, more talented player. This only applies to starting spots, I believe... and Charles could still contribute as a second team or situational guy. I just think if the "special" hasn't been revealed by then, then I'm not sure it ever will be.

WR is not like O line or D line, if you aren't getting a ton of PT by the end of your sophomore year, then it's likely that you will be passed on the depth chart for a younger, more talented player. This only applies to starting spots, I believe... and Charles could still contribute as a second team or situational guy. I just think if the "special" hasn't been revealed by then, then I'm not sure it ever will be.
I haven't seen enough to lead me to believe he'll be Allen Robinson, but I've already seen plenty to suggest that "situational guy" is not his ceiling. Time will tell

I’ll add that he is probably a little over rated by some for his ST play.
He has made some good plays, but has been a penalty machine as well. I’d say his penalties/play is probably the highest %age on the team.

Reactions: royboy

IDK, some guys just mature or "get it" faster than others. All you have to do is look at Mike G. to see how he improved from a soph to a Jr.

I’ll add that he is probably a little over rated by some for his ST play.
He has made some good plays, but has been a penalty machine as well. I’d say his penalties/play is probably the highest %age on the team.

I'll have to disagree with that. Nebraska probably had more punt and kick return yardage than any team we've played this year...Irv was the missing link. He's always the first guy down on coverage.
Yea he gets too "grabby" at times but he's excellent on ST and we missed him last week.

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and Madsol
Unfortunately, it sounds like Bowen might have dug himself too deep of a hole. Maybe even for more than the regular season. It is obviously a 2nd offense for him and it is very possible that he may be done for the year or more. I don't think Franklin is playing, even at a position that we really can't afford losing top talent.

this may sound off the wall, but I think he could play defense - not sure his HS background.

Agree.. people don't realize how long it takes to learn these skill positions. They don't call them skill positions for nothing.

Kyle Brady wasn't Kyle Brady until midway through his third year. Andrew Quarless -- everybody could see the potential but he wasn't really a good TE till his fourth year, and then he was an NFL player. Gesicki -- third year. Though we could all see Gesicki's potential from his freshman year. There were definitely people here doubting whether he would ever get it together.

I think the big question is work ethic. Gesicki has it and that's why he made it. Charles is a hard worker too. There is just so much to learn. A lot of these guys really played very little football in HS - they come to college knowing nothing.

IDK, some guys just mature or "get it" faster than others. All you have to do is look at Mike G. to see how he improved from a soph to a Jr.

Especially, if his struggles are more mental than physical, as has been implied at times. Irv isn't "ordinary" in terms of his physical ability. If the lightbulb goes on, then he has all the tools to be a dominant WR at this level.

Reactions: BBrown
Of players that got meaningful playing time early at PSU, not sure anyone has improved to the extent Gesicki has.

He went from knocking down more passes than any PSU defensive back ever has to being an absolutely astonishing vacumn cleaner that catches just about anything / everything thrown near him. He’s had at most 1-2 drops this year and has made some remarkable catches.

(Only wish his blocking has improved as much as his receiving skills.....but hey, I get greedy at times.)

His blocking has improved greatly but still has a long way to go. He'll go to the NFL and it might take him 2-3 seasons but he'll put on a lot of weight and be a much better blocker.

It's amazing how much more these players develop when they're in the NFL working on their skills full time. It's so ferociously competitive. You go from a place where you're guaranteed a scholarship four years if you just show up for practice -- to a place where there is someone else trying to take your job every week.

Of players that got meaningful playing time early at PSU, not sure anyone has improved to the extent Gesicki has.

(Only wish his blocking has improved as much as his receiving skills.....but hey, I get greedy at times.)

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT