ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a food "hidden treasure" from your town.

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
The food threads got me thinking about those restaurants, food products, or recipes that are unique to certain towns. You know, the food the locals know about and treasure.

So add your local favorite to this thread, and give us enough details so that we know where to go to enjoy it ourselves. The Coal Region has to have a million places for this.

My Harrisburg favorite? Schmidt's Sausage, Eisenhower Blvd., suburban Harrisburg, Dauphin County.

http://www.schmidtssausage.com/

My family has been going to this family owned business for six decades. This is a butcher shop where it is made, so do not expect a restaurant and take out. The hot smoked sausage is the best sausage I have ever had. Nobody else is even close. My son enjoys the extra hot links on a good Philly roll. My favorite is the hot smoked simmered in Silver Floss sauerkraut for an hour or two. DO NOT miss this place on your nest trip to Harrisburg. It is only a couple minutes from the Turnpike. The best version is the large double links. 3 double links might set you back about $20, but it will be worth it.

Not a specific place, but a specific food...eating rhubarb stalks raw...obviously the leaves are poisonous and should not be eaten at all, but the stalks can be eaten raw and are very tart.

...have never liked anything such as rhubarb pie or anything that sweetens it. The tartness of a raw rhubarb stalk is what makes it unique.

The food threads got me thinking about those restaurants, food products, or recipes that are unique to certain towns. You know, the food the locals know about and treasure.

So add your local favorite to this thread, and give us enough details so that we know where to go to enjoy it ourselves. The Coal Region has to have a million places for this.

My Harrisburg favorite? Schmidt's Sausage, Eisenhower Blvd., suburban Harrisburg, Dauphin County.

My family has been going to this family owned business for six decades. This is a butcher shop where it is made, so do not expect a restaurant and take out. The hot smoked sausage is the best sausage I have ever had. Nobody else is even close. My son enjoys the extra hot links on a good Philly roll. My favorite is the hot smoked simmered in Silver Floss sauerkraut for an hour or two. DO NOT miss this place on your nest trip to Harrisburg. It is only a couple minutes from the Turnpike. The best version is the large double links. 3 double links might set you back about $20, but it will be worth it.

This place is a hole in the wall and its not very big but they have great sandwiches, ready made and frozen pasta and dried pasta, sauces and wine.

http://www.trinacriabaltimore.com/

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave

http://jimsfamoussauce.com/index.php

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
This was posted on the website - Please do not call or email with the intention of placing an order.
We currently do NOT accept orders from the web page.

I guess you have to go there and knock on the door?
Yes, but not on Sunday or Monday - because they follow the Chik Fil A business model on Sundays, and then need Monday to recover from drinking all that Yuengling on Sunday.

So wait until tomorrow - but don't go after your job, unless you work the overnight shift, because they close at 5.

Reactions: Cosmos
I don't know if it's exactly a hidden treasure, but a food I've found since living in Virginia that I haven't seen anywhere else is cream of peanut soup. It's amazing! For me, local is The Red Fox Inn in Middleburg, VA.

DSC_0978.JPG

Yes, but not on Sunday or Monday - because they follow the Chik Fil A business model on Sundays, and then need Monday to recover from drinking all that Yuengling on Sunday.

So wait until tomorrow - but don't go after your job, unless you work the overnight shift, because they close at 5.

So, let me get this right. Don't call, don't email, don't come after work, they are only open Tues thru Saturday and at times that are good for them?

If they make it this hard and are still in business they must have a great product.

Not a specific place, but a specific food...eating rhubarb stalks raw...obviously the leaves are poisonous and should not be eaten at all, but the stalks can be eaten raw and are very tart.

...have never liked anything such as rhubarb pie or anything that sweetens it. The tartness of a raw rhubarb stalk is what makes it unique.
that reminds me of my best friend growing up who used to always have a rhubarb stalk in his mouth while he was mowing the lawn

Reactions: Cosmos
Donuts and apple fritters at BG's market in Jonestown, PA. In house bakery that has the best apple fritters around. The women come in at 3 AM to do the baking. My wife would take them to work and were told they were better than Krispy Kreme.

Shuey's pretzels and Wertz handmade candies are big hits in Lebanon.

Reactions: Nitwit97
I have to cross the river to Washington Boro in Lancaster for the Jet Star tomatos.Holy crap are those babies good.Dukes mayo with bacon and mint from the garden.

Reactions: BrucePa
After I moved to Southern Maryland two decades ago, I came across a local dish called Stuffed Ham. It was pretty good and unique. Only a few places serve it in St Mary’s County.

Of course, it doesn’t compare to the steamed blue crabs that you can get almost anywhere down here. Just had a family party where we got a bushel for $95.

Reactions: Cosmos and PSJimbo
After I moved to Southern Maryland two decades ago, I came across a local dish called Stuffed Ham. It was pretty good and unique. Only a few places serve it in St Mary’s County.

Of course, it doesn’t compare to the steamed blue crabs that you can get almost anywhere down here. Just had a family party where we got a bushel for $95.

LOL, I've had the Stuffed Ham and thought it was pretty good. It seems to be a southern MD and Eastern Shore thing.

Reactions: PSJimbo
It gives me an excuse to get broasted chicken from the Wrightsville Inn or go to Smiths for a gigantic cheesesteak.

The Jet Star has a shorter shelf life than your average tomato but they are the only ones I buy. Usually stop at the Tomato Barn and grab some a couple of times each week. The broasted chicken from the Inn is also a favorite. As far as Smith's Hotel, the quality of the cheese steaks and subs have unfortunately declined over the years since the new owners took over a few years back. They smoother both with the cheap onions and the rolls are not the same. People are starting to migrate back to "Joe's Steakshop" for steaks and subs.

Reactions: loosey goosey

Steamed Hams?

Reactions: Zenophile

How big (small) were those crabs? Last time I was in town visiting family a dozen jumbos were about $100...

Apple cider donuts from the market on Crowltoot road near Lincoln University in southwestern Chester county. Made on Thursday’s and Saturday’s in September and October. Amish made and the best I have ever found.

Official BBQ & Burgers is a great spot for BBQ by McDevitt HS in Harrisburg.

If you want wings, you can't go wrong with The Boro, The Grotto, or Sierra Madre all in the Harrisburg area.

Agree with the OP on Schmidt's Sausage. It is very good.

Hinkle's also changed ownership within the last year or two. No longer a pharmacy, just a restraunt with a small gift shop. The town regulars say "it's not the same."

My Mom's home town is Emporium PA. This is the home of Luigi's famous hoagies. Luigi's is a little hole in the wall place where, as a kid, we'd but "caps" for our cap guns and have a little money left over for a bite of candie.

Fried Smelts is a western PA thing. I am not sure I am into it but like fried calamari, if you deep fry it enough and dump cocktail sauce on it the taste is just fine.

cfiles89834.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT