ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a food "hidden treasure" from your town.

Restaurant by the name of Jethro's in Lancaster, PA. Great little corner restaurant in the west end of town with very good food and great cocktails. Their Sidecar is awesome.

Reactions: BrucePa
Excellent Trout fishing in and around Emporium. We used to go there every April and stay at this hole in the wall motel. I think it was the Buttonwood? Their restaurant did have the best pancakes that I can remember.
my father met my mother while deer hunting there. Gma used to rent her home out to hunters post WW2. Great deer hunting as well.

Reactions: AtlantaLion
Redrock Hoagies at the RedRock corner store. Huge , amazing and delicious. If your lucky enough to be there on a Friday, try the meatball hoagie.

Reactions: Gnat91 and hlstone
not my town (or state) but Hot Dog Johnny's in NJ- not for the dogs- for the fries

Reactions: psuro
Unique food to the Quakertown, Souderton, Harleysville area:
Funny Cake
Pour cake batter into a pie crust.
Pour a chocolate filling over top of the batter which sinks to the bottom.
Bake
It's funny since it's a cake in a pie dish!
It's funny since the chocolate is poured on top and it sinks to the bottom!
It's funny since the icing for the cake is on the bottom!
It's a great "cake" with coffee in the morning.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Hinkle's also changed ownership within the last year or two. No longer a pharmacy, just a restraunt with a small gift shop. The town regulars say "it's not the same."
Can you still get a “Shifter” at Hinkle’s? My dad loved them.

As a kid, my friend and I would walk into town on a Saturday night. We would go to the movie at the State Theatre, walk over to Joe’s, King of Steaks, at 5 points for a steak sandwich with a cherry coke and walk back home.

Last edited:
Can you still get a “Shifter” at Hinkle’s? My dad loved them.

As a kid, my friend and I would walk into town on a Saturday night. We would go to the movie at the State Theatre, wall over to Joe’s, King of Steaks, at 5 points for a steak sandwich with a cherry coke and walk back home.

Yes, shifter's are still on the menu. Just had one on Saturday. Still very good! The name ""Shifter" came about as a result of the men who worked on the railroad. While the trains were being shifted from one set of tracks to another the guys on the railroad would run up to Hinkle's and grab a quick sandwich resulting in the "Shifter sandwich". Joe's is still open and doing well. If you remember the State Theater, you are an old head, just like me!

Restaurant by the name of Jethro's in Lancaster, PA. Great little corner restaurant in the west end of town with very good food and great cocktails. Their Sidecar is awesome.
Jethro's was formerly owned or co-owned by a guy named Korn's who was a record setting QB at Franklin and Marshal college. Not sure if he's still connected to Jethro's or not. Former Marine officer. Very nice place to spend an evening out.

Reactions: BrucePa
Senape’s pizza from Hazleton (hot and cold versions)

Screamers from Tony’s Lunch in Girardville

The pickle/mustard/onion hot dog style of Easton,PA of which Jimmy’s is most famous. Every town seems to have a famous hot dog place. The pickle/mustard/onion style may not be the best, but I think it’s pretty unique to the Easton/Phillipsburg area.

Senape's as appetizer while tailgating baked that morning.

Hot Dog House in Bellefonte. Try the 2 on 1 with everything, that is hot dog , chili sauce, onions, yellow mustard and hamburger w or wo cheese, onions, chili sauces.

Reactions: UncleRoyBiggins
Unique food to the Quakertown, Souderton, Harleysville area:
Funny Cake
Pour cake batter into a pie crust.
Pour a chocolate filling over top of the batter which sinks to the bottom.
Bake
It's funny since it's a cake in a pie dish!
It's funny since the chocolate is poured on top and it sinks to the bottom!
It's funny since the icing for the cake is on the bottom!
It's a great "cake" with coffee in the morning.
Haven't been in the area for a while, but great cheesesteaks at Ray's Pizza in Lansdale.

Steak tips appetizer at Nicks Fish House back to steak tips appetizer at Nicks Fish House baltimote

Senape's as appetizer while tailgating baked that morning.
My dad brings a “box of pitz” to virtually every function to this day. Tailgates, parties, picnic, you name it. I always end up eating two or three pieces and get wicked heartburn.

A new establishment in Harrisburg worth noting -- The Urban Churn on 3rd Street. SUCH creamy ice cream and crazy flavors changed weekly - every week they have brand new selections. If you want a scoop of ice cream, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Teaberry ice cream. Not really town specific, but I believe rather focused in NE and central PA. The stuff from Heisler’s dairy in a pretzel cone is hard to beat.

A CMP at Heisler's and a round of miniature golf. What a date place!

CMP is your favorite ice cream with chocolate sauce, marshmallow, and crushed peanuts with a cherry. Yum Yum.

Reactions: PSU87 and TheGLOV
A CMP at Heisler's and a round of miniature golf. What a date place!

CMP is your favorite ice cream with chocolate sauce, marshmallow, and crushed peanuts with a cherry. Yum Yum.
Been there done that, and agree

In my hometown of Montoursville, Cellini"s Submarine House. Home to the original cosmo.

Reactions: AlienWedge
I was in the Lehigh Valley yesterday and I drove by Yocco's Hot Dogs. What do the locals think of that place?

BTW, it is incredible in the Lehigh Valley with all the development taking place. It makes Harrisburg and Lancaster look modest by comparison.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT