ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to stadium...awful

This was the worst traffic and game situation overall that I've ever dealt with.

1. Driving in on Park Avenue to get to the Pink lot was horrible. Signs told me what lane to be in but people who were moving traffic switched me lanes 3 times.

2. When I actually got to the pink lot, I wasn't sure if I was at the correct entrance. There was nobody there to tell me I was in the location I was loioking for. I took a guess and turned left.

3. Getting into the game was a nightmare. I got to the stadium entrance at 2:55. I sat down in EGU at 3:50. People were pushing and rude. I was extremely frustrated. The ramp to get up to the seats was packed and it just wasn't moving. It honestly took 35 minutes to get up the ramp after taking 20 minutes to get in.

This Saturday was the single worst game day experience I've had at Penn State. I love coming up, but something was off... The day was great, the game was enjoyable, but the other stuff was a total pain in the rearend.

Serious question:

Why would you use Park Avenue to get to the Pink Lot for any game? It makes zero sense to me when there are other, far easier options.

Took us almost two hours to park from Toftrees coming in Fox Hollow. And that is after we turned around and went back down Fox Hollow and pulled in Lot 16 which sucks because it is one big hill. Then hit bumper to bumper on 99 trying to get to Altoona at 10:30 pm due to construction. Then came back up to SC to have breakfast with daughter and hit stand still on 322 well before Harley Davidson at 11:00 am. Spent almost 12 hours in my car for a 30 hour weekend.

But at least we beat Pitt!!

Serious question:

Why would you use Park Avenue to get to the Pink Lot for any game? It makes zero sense to me when there are other, far easier options.

The way I came up from Williamsburg, PA had me there. The Pink Lot is also now closer to the soccer field instead of at the tip of the stadium and on the parking map I looked at....it didn't have as much stuff to go through for me to get there.

The way I came up from Williamsburg, PA had me there. The Pink Lot is also now closer to the soccer field instead of at the tip of the stadium and on the parking map I looked at....it didn't have as much stuff to go through for me to get there.

It's far easier to take 322 to the I-99 split, take the first exit, and go into the Pink Lot that way.

Does anyone have an email of an assistant AD? I got to around Lowes on Atherton at 9:30 and didn't get parked in the brown lot until 1:30. 4 Hours in traffic is unacceptable. I'll give up my season tickets if I have to do that again.

Reactions: Sharkies
You ain't seen nothing yet.

The Penn State Football Game Day experience - which just a few years ago, and for decades before that, was probably the envy of the rest of the nation - is dead. Well, at least lying supine and inert with a terminal illness. It is just a matter of time until the Coroner signs the documents and the next of kin are notified.
It is going to get a whole lot worse in the years to come. Just remember, Penn State ICA only cares about "premium" dollars at this point.
The folks in charge - and this all goes back to Ms Barbour - either don't care, or are so utterly incompetent as to be beyond words. Or, maybe, both. Probably both.

Keep in mind, the capacity and layout of Beaver Stadium has been what it is for 15 years. It is only with the leadership of the current regime that the most basic and simple of tasks, like:
Getting your customers parked
Getting your customers into the venue
and, this year, even getting tickets into the possession of your customers in a timely manner
Have become more difficult than nuclear fusion.

As for the "bigger" and more complex tasks? God help us all - at least any of us who care about Penn State Athletics.

I have the advantage of having spent much of my life in the fields of Business Consulting - both operationally and financially - and I have access to the candid observations of some of the people involved, so it is probably easier for me to see some of these things than it is for most people.
I do not know all of the people in Penn State ICA Administration, so I couldn't say for certain that there is not a single competent person in the entire group. But, if there is, they are surely being drowned out by incompetence, or have thrown up their hands in frustration.

One of the age-old and irrefutable mantras in Business is this: "Reward what you Desire", because you will most certainly "Realize what you Reward". In other words, Reward those people with traits that benefit the organization, and you will have a competent, effective staff.
In the case of Penn State ICA, if you reward Politics, Sloth, and Incompetence - you will be inundated with Political, Lazy, Incompetent Administrators and Leaders.
It usually takes quite some time to completely foul up a strong business, but once you do it takes an equally long time to get it turned back in the right direction. Picture a fully loaded barge of Iron Ore cruising the Ohio River.

At this point, even people who do not have training or background in Business Analysis should be able to see just how fouled up the Penn State ICA is.

I agree- it's terrible. The whole system and stadium needs revamped.

Yesterday was terrible plain and simple and as noted this new company (is it wheaton?)

Whelan.

o.jpg

It's far easier to take 322 to the I-99 split, take the first exit, and go into the Pink Lot that way.

You are still taking park ave to get there either way and the experience would have been the same. Again why they allow through traffic on Park anymore is ridiculous it use to be one way and multiple lanes used. Not the case for the last 6 years and for games like this they will pay

You are still taking park ave to get there either way and the experience would have been the same. Again why they allow through traffic on Park anymore is ridiculous it use to be one way and multiple lanes used. Not the case for the last 6 years and for games like this they will pay

Ummmm no, the experience was far from the same.

By taking the route I mentioned, I was parked within 30 minutes.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

The Penn State Football Game Day experience - which just a few years ago, and for decades before that, was probably the envy of the rest of the nation - is dead. Well, at least lying supine and inert with a terminal illness. It is just a matter of time until the Coroner signs the documents and the next of kin are notified.
It is going to get a whole lot worse in the years to come. Just remember, Penn State ICA only cares about "premium" dollars at this point.
The folks in charge - and this all goes back to Ms Barbour - either don't care, or are so utterly incompetent as to be beyond words. Or, maybe, both. Probably both.

Keep in mind, the capacity and layout of Beaver Stadium has been what it is for 15 years. It is only with the leadership of the current regime that the most basic and simple of tasks, like:
Getting your customers parked
Getting your customers into the venue
and, this year, even getting tickets into the possession of your customers in a timely manner
Have become more difficult than nuclear fusion.

As for the "bigger" and more complex tasks? God help us all - at least any of us who care about Penn State Athletics.

I have the advantage of having spent much of my life in the fields of Business Consulting - both operationally and financially - and I have access to the candid observations of some of the people involved, so it is probably easier for me to see some of these things than it is for most people.
I do not know all of the people in Penn State ICA Administration, so I couldn't say for certain that there is not a single competent person in the entire group. But, if there is, they are surely being drowned out by incompetence, or have thrown up their hands in frustration.

One of the age-old and irrefutable mantras in Business is this: "Reward what you Desire", because you will most certainly "Realize what you Reward". In other words, Reward those people with traits that benefit the organization, and you will have a competent, effective staff.
In the case of Penn State ICA, if you reward Politics, Sloth, and Incompetence - you will be inundated with Political, Lazy, Incompetent Administrators and Leaders.
It usually takes quite some time to completely foul up a strong business, but once you do it takes an equally long time to get it turned back in the right direction. Picture a fully loaded barge of Iron Ore cruising the Ohio River.

At this point, even people who do not have training or background in Business Analysis should be able to see just how fouled up the Penn State ICA is.

Glad you're back, Barry. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sharkies

These guys are fricking stupid as sh!t. . . Mouthbreathing window lickers . . . Perfect employees for ICA . . . Penn State the only school that needs people like this for crowd control . . . OSU nope . . . MICHIGAN 2 GUYS WITH water bottles... Penn State 50+ dixheads

Ummmm no, the experience was far from the same.

By taking the route I mentioned, I was parked within 30 minutes.

Well I park in red I'm just relaying what 3 guys who tailgate with told me who park in pink. 2 came from 322 took over 90 minutes. One came FOX hollow and was over two hours . .

I parked in pink for four years prior to last year . . . Took puddentown road because it was always ridiculous ...

Took us almost two hours to park from Toftrees coming in Fox Hollow. And that is after we turned around and went back down Fox Hollow and pulled in Lot 16 which sucks because it is one big hill. Then hit bumper to bumper on 99 trying to get to Altoona at 10:30 pm due to construction. Then came back up to SC to have breakfast with daughter and hit stand still on 322 well before Harley Davidson at 11:00 am. Spent almost 12 hours in my car for a 30 hour weekend.

But at least we beat Pitt!!
I had the same experience you did from Toftrees to Fox Hollow. It was ridiculous.

WHELAN is a contractor based out of St Louis. Their closest branch office is in - I believe - Philadelphia.
In case you didn't know, Penn State ICA began contracting out the game day staffing tasks a few years back. In any event, the first temp agency they used was a complete disaster, and WHELAN appears to be a carbon copy.

As of the last week of August, WHELAN was trying to recruit day-laborers for the Penn State game-day staffing needs. One week prior to the first game, still trying to recruit - let alone train - people off the street. Many of those recruits, if we are to be honest, being people who are otherwise unemployable derelicts, but who are willing to put on a yellow parka and stand around for a few hours in exchange for $100.
If I knew this, is it possible that no one in Penn State ICA Administration knew it?

Why wouldn't Penn State ICA have required the outfit that they are paying - with your funds - to actually have sufficient employees hired and trained well ahead of time? Especially after having gone through the same nightmare with the contractor they just fired? It boggles the mind.
But, at least, by spending an excess of your funds, they insulate their entire ICA staff from any and all responsibility and accountability. So, there is that benefit.
It was once discussed here in the past (and makes sense) that with all the post Sandusky laws passed by the commonwealth of PA, hiring local people became too much of a hassle for the university. Background checks had to be performed on everyone. It became easier to contract the duties out and let someone else handle the hassle and expense. So we might sit in traffic for two hours. I doubt anyone in ICA cares just as long as the money is there to hire an extra assistant AD.

Well I park in red I'm just relaying what 3 guys who tailgate with told me who park in pink. 2 came from 322 took over 90 minutes. One came FOX hollow and was over two hours . .

I parked in pink for four years prior to last year . . . Took puddentown road because it was always ridiculous ...

I totally believe the guys who tried to get in via Fox Hollow or Park Ave/Atherton. I went through at roughly 12:30pm and never considered Park/Atherton because I knew either would be a parking lot for a big game.

Tried to come in past the airport and Toftrees to park behind the North stands...way down the hill. Started sitting in traffic at 1130 about a half mile from the Toftrees entrance. Was finally parked at 2:00 at a field below the hospital, maybe a half mile ride to Rt 26! The worst I have ever seen it. The field we had to park in was in now way ready to handle game traffic. They had, in no way, expected these fields to be used. Plus, the field was not open and the main problem was that the parking guys were quitting after their sections got filled. AWFUL situation. PSU traffic people did a crap job...a true shit storm. Bottom line is I spent more time sitting in my truck than I did driving to stadium. And I was not alone in this assessment.

Just throw another $2,500 at the university and they'll fix your parking problem.

I think this weekend was a perfect storm for many reasons:

1) sold out stadium and large crowd. Guess what? big crowds attending = big crowds parking

2) I knew a bunch of people that just came to tailgate and not even go into the game. Adds that many more cars and bodies outside.

3) gorgeous weather. always happy for sunshine!

We have numbered spots and got there and there was someone parked in our spot. I went to ask the parking attendant and they called for a tow truck. Bummer for that car, but we paid a premium for that spot. (hope it wasn't someone here. if it was, sorry. nothing I could do at that point).

but the new norm is going to be large crowds. Aren't we thrilled for sold out crowds?

forgot to add: sdministration also created this problem... they sold 51 bus parking passes for behind BJC. For 24 spots. oops? simple math fail = big problem.

Last edited:
Do they keep the Porter/Park intersection open these days? I would never try to get from the east side (322/99) to a parking lot on the west side (IM fields, Green, Brown) because that intersection was always closed off. Is that not the case now?

Just throw another $2,500 at the university and they'll fix your parking problem.
Out of curiousity, anyone know what the minimum "reserved lot" amount is these days? Is it a "contribution" (i.e. get NLC points) or just a straight payment?

Do they keep the Porter/Park intersection open these days? I would never try to get from the east side (322/99) to a parking lot on the west side (IM fields, Green, Brown) because that intersection was always closed off. Is that not the case now?

Out of curiousity, anyone know what the minimum "reserved lot" amount is these days? Is it a "contribution" (i.e. get NLC points) or just a straight payment?

I drove right through the intersection you mentioned. It hasn't been closed for a long time.

I drove right through the intersection you mentioned. It hasn't been closed for a long time.

Yea I never remember this being closed. Going to the stadium , I remember up until 2010 this being closed going away from the stadium. East West traffic was always one direction until you got to the road of the paved lot on the west side and the entrance to pink. And if you were in the green lot on the north end zone you made the right into the paved lot and then drove down into the green grass spots. Not the case and more and I think it is the reason for many of the problems related to park ave.

This hopefully will answer your question. It seems like a $2,500 annual donation (Honorary Coach) will allow you to get a reserved space, based on availability of course. The cost of parking is in addition to the donation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/NLC-Annual-Giving-Brochure-17.pdf

Last edited:
110,000 may have been a factor but this is not their first rodeo. I am lucky in that my daughter (senior at PSU) lives just behind Sunset Park so we were able to walk in. We had to wait on some people so didn't even enter the Gate until 3:30 PM. There was no line and we missed the Band but not the Kick-Off. We tailgated at her house. I don't even bother to park and tailgate at the Stadium. Obviously most don't have this option.

This hopefully will answer your question. It seems like a $2,500 annual donation (Honorary Coach) will allow you to get a reserved space, based on availability of course. The cost of parking is in addition to the donation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/NLC-Annual-Giving-Brochure-17.pdf
So basically a 2,500% increase in my annual donation (daughter's new grad discount) for the right to purchase reserved parking?! Must be really nice having money to burn!? Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a second child through the ever escalating costs of PSU. Someone earlier in another post nailed it on the head ... PSU football slowly continues to be a "rich man's game".

Thanks for the link ... it was very helpful!

The person to contact in regards to this issue is:
Mark Bodenschatz,
(814) 863-3498.
mab163psu.edu

One of our many Associate AD's, all of whom are here to help our many alums, fans and friends with any of these pesky little problems that happen to cause your game day experience to be less than perfect! In other words, they pay him for this stuff so don't be afraid to gripe to him!

ha! Seriously though, can you just bring a bike on the back of your SUV, park it at some random plaza and bike to the stadium?
Yes. I know someone that lives about 2 miles away that always bikes to games unless the weather is bad.

ha! Seriously though, can you just bring a bike on the back of your SUV, park it at some random plaza and bike to the stadium?
TY4fOYe.gif

You could probably just bike in from the Giant on South Atherton and Blue Course Drive - leave your car there - and take short cuts through College Heights (not having to worry about the traffic barricades) and then right to the driveway leading back to the President's house - it brings you back to the Arboreteum and Law School. As long as you can find a tree or pole to lock your bike securely, or place it inside a pick truck/SUV, then you should be good to go..

You could probably just bike in from the Giant on South Atherton and Blue Course Drive - leave your car there - and take short cuts through College Heights (not having to worry about the traffic barricades) and then right to the driveway leading back to the President's house - it brings you back to the Arboreteum and Law School. As long as you can find a tree or pole to lock your bike securely, or place it inside a pick truck/SUV, then you should be good to go..
might be able to lock it up to a chain link fence....not sure if security will cut it down or not...not sure what is allowed.

I will speak to the Assistant A.D. in charge of "Locking your Bicycle at the Stadium During a Home Football Game" and get back to you.

Thank you. Does he/she report to the AAD in charge of chain link fences?

TY4fOYe.gif

Me and a buddy have done that a couple of times from the Hills Plaza.
Really easy except that hill up to the stadium can be a bear.

Reactions: Obliviax
Me and a buddy have done that a couple of times from the Hills Plaza.
Really easy except that hill up to the stadium can be a bear.
anybody ever give you a hassle with dumping the bike someplace. you would think, with sensitivity to air pollution and fossil fuel waste, this would be promoted as a solution.

anybody ever give you a hassle with dumping the bike someplace. you would think, with sensitivity to air pollution and fossil fuel waste, this would be promoted as a solution.

No, we locked the bikes up with all the other ones right in front of the stadium.
I guess that was ok, no one ever said anything and we've done it a couple of times.

Reactions: Obliviax
Write to the Assistant to the Assistant AD for Game Day parking..........with 34 Assistant ADs I am sure that someone is all over this issue.........

Also huge issue with getting the tickets out......lets focus on getting tickets to fans in a timely manner and getting them into the parking lots and then into the stadium.

(Distraction) Hey we now have Creamery Ice Cream available in Beaver Stadium.......

But which of the 34 ADs? They probably have one AD assigned to each lot. Would he want the AD for Lot 24?

The person to contact in regards to this issue is:
Mark Bodenschatz,
(814) 863-3498.
mab163psu.edu

One of our many Associate AD's, all of whom are here to help our many alums, fans and friends with any of these pesky little problems that happen to cause your game day experience to be less than perfect! In other words, they pay him for this stuff so don't be afraid to gripe to him!
Thanks for that information. Do you know what his title/position at the University is? Thanks again.

Also can you clarify his e-mail address.

Thanks for that information. Do you know what his title/position at the University is? Thanks again.

Also can you clarify his e-mail address.
He's actually transitioning into a new role with the University. I'd recommend starting with Corey Chapman (anything sent to Mark now will likely just be forwarded to Corey).

Chapman@psu.edu or 814-867-1337

Not sure exactly where parking falls with things (since there is a separate parking office within the University, and I'm sure university police is driving some of the traffic flow), but Corey is the best place to start I'd think.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Issues coming in from the west on I-99. Freaking Penn Dot had down to one lane both north and south from Altoona for almost five miles. Instead of doing repairs in the summer they wait till the fall during Penn State Football Season. Besides the parking issue Penn Dot is major problem getting to SC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT