ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Blue / White Spring game

Yeah I took another look and really I think he's going to be just fine. My concern is the rushing defense. If they can stop the run, that eliminates West Virginia, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and leaves only SC and Ohio State as potential losses. 10-2 MIGHT get it done and might not. I think we need to split those two and we're sitting pretty. Lose them both and it's white knuckle ride time for 10-12 seeding.
Just from hearing him, I think that he’s going to be the true leader of the offense this season, which a qb must be. He just seems like he’s ready to assume that role this season, whereas as last season he seemed to be more of a wall flower.

Reactions: Obliviax
The way SC plays defense, I will be disappointed if we lose to them.
Yeah, but Riley’s teams always can score points on almost any defense, which often compensates for his terrible defenses.

Shake out Ivey and Taylor from that tree… and chuck Hagans while you’re at it. It’s on him. What a mess. Twelve guys and there are 3-4 that appear to be compete. The makings of another elite Defense and the question marks are still WR and to a certain extent the OL. Rinse and repeat.
Hagan's recruits have even seen the field yet.

Did you complain about jay?

We have a very good rb corps and tight end room. As long as the wrs can be competent, the offense should be fine provided that the qb matures and the o-line replacements are competent.

The Chiefs have won the last two Super Bowls without a great wide receiver or even a great rb. I know that they have a generational qb and HOF tight end, but Reid’s schemes cover up the personnel deficiencies on offense. That’s what the PSU staff needs to do.

Need officials that give us the penalty edge the majority of the time as well.

Well none of the 3 true freshmen are leaving. I hope you are correct about McClain. The over/under for WR''s leaving at 3 ???
And I believe the staff will try and bring in another WR from the portal soon.

Staying:
  1. Flemming
  2. Wallace
  3. Saunders
  4. Clifford
  5. McClain
  6. Brown (Fr)
  7. Gonzalez (Fr)
  8. Denmark (Fr)
  9. Evans - looked decent today. Seems staff likes him
  10. Taylor - RS freshman (unknown, not sold on him staying but still young)
  11. Ivey - Backup punt returner, biding his time at WR. Could portal if immediate PT is a priority
Gone
  1. KLS
Possibilities for Transfer
  1. Meiga - Special teams standout, but may want to get PT at WR somewhere else
  2. T.Johnson RS-So Anyone see him today?
  3. Flowers RS-So Moved over from Safety but seems unlikely to get on the field at WR
Agree with those 3+ I think Ivey well as well.

Many of their fans believe that Keinholz and Brown will be transferring out in the upcoming portal
I think Keinholz will portal. Listening to the game today, he seemed to struggle as did Sayin (transfer in from Alabama). But I'd say Keinholz for sure because he has been there long enough that the coaches have a good read on his abilities and he is probably down the depth chart. Perhaps he goes FCS to a program like South Dakota State (championship program)? He is from S.D.

We have a very good rb corps and tight end room. As long as the wrs can be competent, the offense should be fine provided that the qb matures and the o-line replacements are competent.

The Chiefs have won the last two Super Bowls without a great wide receiver or even a great rb. I know that they have a generational qb and HOF tight end, but Reid’s schemes cover up the personnel deficiencies on offense. That’s what the PSU staff needs to do.
The Chiefs have a QB that makes plays and also extends plays with his feet which allows all his receivers more time to get open. Allar hasn't shown the ability to extend plays as of yet. The 2023 Allar needed WR's that could get open and the PSU WR's couldn't always do that. If Allar's increased athleticism allows him to move around in the pocket and get outside it and make some throws on the run that would be a big help to the WR's. But then Allar has to have the confidence to throw it down the field when a receiver breaks open which he didn't really do last season. Allar has to improve as the super conservative QB we saw last season probably won't make enough plays to beat top 10 teams. JMO.

Hagan's recruits have even seen the field yet.

Did you complain about jay?
What does Jay have to do with it? He was 15-20 yrs ago and we weren’t paying a HC $8m. Hagans has no recruits. He’s a well paid AC who needs to have impact and he hasn’t after two springs and a full season. You want elite? Demand much more from all of the coaches.

What does Jay have to do with it? He was 15-20 yrs ago and we weren’t paying a HC $8m. Hagans has no recruits. He’s a well paid AC who needs to have impact and he hasn’t after two springs and a full season. You want elite? Demand much more from all of the coaches.
I have Voltz on mute...nearly all of his rebuttals have to do with the Joe yrs...it's very odd.

The Chiefs have a QB that makes plays and also extends plays with his feet which allows all his receivers more time to get open. Allar hasn't shown the ability to extend plays as of yet. The 2023 Allar needed WR's that could get open and the PSU WR's couldn't always do that. If Allar's increased athleticism allows him to move around in the pocket and get outside it and make some throws on the run that would be a big help to the WR's. But then Allar has to have the confidence to throw it down the field when a receiver breaks open which he didn't really do last season. Allar has to improve as the super conservative QB we saw last season probably won't make enough plays to beat top 10 teams. JMO.
I mostly agree with your critique on Allar. His reads are slow and his awareness a work in progress. So many want to tag our receivers as the issue but it cuts both ways. Allar’s lack of confidence and reluctance to throw his receivers open was a disease for the receiver corp. The reality is that he is a 5 star project. Im waiting for him to jump a level but I am not holding my breath for it to happen quickly. Perhaps the o-coordinator can scheme to his strengths and mask his shortcomings to allow him time to improve. That will win a few games until the opposition schemes it away and forces Allar to beat them with superior QB play. The physical tools only get you so far.

Allar still is off on deep balls....granted, I know the BW game means a hill of beans. But, the passing game, and perhaps the success of the offense relies on his right arm and improving his 60% comp pct, and terrible deep balls. If he does both, playoffs are likely.
There were consistent 20 to 30 mph winds during the game. Hard to connect on deep balls in those conditions.

There were consistent 20 to 30 mph winds during the game. Hard to connect on deep balls in those conditions.
No doubt. Bad weather for passing. But, that part of his game from last year needs a big uptick.

I thought we had more receivers get open yesterday than anytime under Yurcich. The late TD to Rappelyea was a perfect example. Given a little better throwing conditions, I think the passing game could be just fine. We just need a burner to keep the safeties deep. Can Meiga or Evan’s be that guy? McClain?

I thought we had more receivers get open yesterday than anytime under Yurcich. The late TD to Rappelyea was a perfect example. Given a little better throwing conditions, I think the passing game could be just fine. We just need a burner to keep the safeties deep. Can Meiga or Evan’s be that guy? McClain?
Yep. They dummied down the offense yesterday so, for the most part, defense knew what was coming. Allar called it “very vanilla”. I thought the WRs looked very authentic, as did the team.

I mostly agree with your critique on Allar. His reads are slow and his awareness a work in progress. So many want to tag our receivers as the issue but it cuts both ways. Allar’s lack of confidence and reluctance to throw his receivers open was a disease for the receiver corp. The reality is that he is a 5 star project. Im waiting for him to jump a level but I am not holding my breath for it to happen quickly. Perhaps the o-coordinator can scheme to his strengths and mask his shortcomings to allow him time to improve. That will win a few games until the opposition schemes it away and forces Allar to beat them with superior QB play. The physical tools only get you so far.
Reluctant to throw his receivers open? How about (1) we find some receivers who actually can get separation (don’t think the OSU QBs had to throw Harrison or the other receivers on the roster open and (2) get receiver(s) who can win the 50/50 balls (don’t see any Chris Godwin or even Jahan Dotson’s on this roster).

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
unless his primary read was wide open he looked off and it was all over but the check down. No patience and no anticipation of the receiver having a window. Dude is a project. He makes his receivers look worse than they are and they lose faith in his ability to get them the ball. It rots from both sides.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
People are reading way too much into a practice. We all the WRs are still an issue--we knew that before the BW game. We know Beau can't throw the ball--we knew that before yesterday as well. Hopefully they use the next round of the portal to "encourage" kids to leave and find some WRs that want to play. I know it's nice to have anything close to football back but there's more than 4 months between now and the opener. Hopefully the roster is different by then.

Reluctant to throw his receivers open? How about (1) we find some receivers who actually can get separation (don’t think the OSU QBs had to throw Harrison or the other receivers on the roster open and (2) get receiver(s) who can win the 50/50 balls (don’t see any Chris Godwin or even Jahan Dotson’s on this roster).
It takes 2 to Tango- but for most of the 3rd/4th qtrs Drew did not instill significant confidence. It was almost like James coached to get 1 more exclamation point/stat/qb highlight.

I'm good with Drew as starter and w James trying to build him up. But- While I've walked both sides of Drew during his Frosh Year- he still doesn't appear to have control of what is going on. Yeah- plenty of reasons why. However- he is the straw that stirs our drink. He needs to make good decisions and be in charge.

2nd half yesterday wasn't that.

The way SC plays defense, I will be disappointed if we lose to them.
Agree SC is porous on D so we should be able to put up some points, but will definitely have to run the ball. I’m not concerned about our rushing defense we were pretty stout against the run last year and return most of the interior Dline. DDS is almost 270 and Carter is a beast.

Quick rewatch. I feel a little better about Allar's performance than I did. Drops hurt him in the 1st half for sure.

Martin looks electric with the football. He's that mix of Allen's vision, change of direction with Singleton's speed on a smaller frame. If Singleton struggles, I could see him getting snaps. Could be wrong though.

Seemed like all of the transfers were on the blue team.

Allar still is off on deep balls....granted, I know the BW game means a hill of beans. But, the passing game, and perhaps the success of the offense relies on his right arm and improving his 60% comp pct, and terrible deep balls. If he does both, playoffs are likely.
The wind was blowing about 45 mph

Reactions: SR108
I think the season boils down to Allar's play and his ability to build strong chemistry with the WRs. Within that headline is getting at least 3 WRs to be solid starters/contributors out of the current group of 15 or however bloated the number is.

On offense we are loaded at RB and TE. The O-Line will he solid so the weak link is what I just mentioned.

Our defense should be stout again. Allen will be good. D line should be solid with the addition of AC. Secondary should be reloaded with portal guys, Harris, Collins and Kimber. Linebacker will be solid led by Rojas and King among others.

All roads lead to Allar and our passing game with the WRs., it is that simple. If Allar steps up as a better more poised leader.and we get better production from the WRs (I'm looking at you Fleming, Wallace and Saunders) then we should be a very good team.

What does the head coach's salary have to do with Hagans?

Do any of the head coaches you want to hire work for free? Any of the coaches with winning records vs the top 10 make less than $8 million?

Hagans has No recruits? Might want to check your facts. Hagans had three WRs last year and will have about four this year.

What does the head coach's salary have to do with Hagans?

Do any of the head coaches you want to hire work for free? Any of the coaches with winning records vs the top 10 make less than $8 million?

Hagans has No recruits? Might want to check your facts. Hagans had three WRs last year and will have about four this year.
Problem is that his recruits are not producing on the field.

Give it a little time, his recruits last year are freshmen.
I get that but he has not done a good job developing guys he inherited. We better see big time improvement at WR this year or he will be on the hot seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT