ADVERTISEMENT

GAME PLAN: How to beat PITT....

...line up and smash 'em right in the mouth. Everyone's got a plan till they're smacked in the mouth!

Let's go State!

Also helps if you're fielding what eventually is the number one team in the nation, featuring Joe Washington and the younger Selmon brothers. But I'm sure that's only a minor detail in The World According to McDoofus.

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
Keep the Cincinnati run/ jump pass for when Pitt stacks the line. That'll shake any game plan of stacking the line to srop the run and making a newbie qb beat you. ;)

The Game plan needs to include trash talk. They need to say the worst possible things, awful things that you wouldn't say to your worst enemy... stuff like "You play for Pitt!"

Reactions: broey1
I agree, Narduzzi is a coaching genius. Only a true genius could allow 600 yards a total offense to a service academy and still have his fan base think he is a good coach.

Agree. The perceptions of the two programs is amazing. Pitt won exactly one more game than we did last year. 8 to 7. In their bowl game they allowed 600+ yards to the vaunted Naval Academy and got waxed...... the media tells us Pitt is a team on the rise ... Nardouche is a genius... and Pitt is PA's best program. Meanwhile, Penn State took a Georgia Bulldog team, which was a preseason top 5 team in every poll down to the very last play of the game, with a back-up QB. And Franklin is a moron. Franklin should not be coaching a Junior High pee-wee team, and Penn State is a program in trouble.

I guess it really helps to have the media on your side.

Game plan ? i think it will come down to mistakes, whoever makes more will lose.
The most epic beatdown of Pitt by PSU happened back in 1981. Pitt probably had the better team, they were higher ranked. Wha' happened on the way to 48-14 ? Pitt lost their cool.

I agree, Narduzzi is a coaching genius. Only a true genius could allow 600 yards a total offense to a service academy and still have his fan base think he is a good coach.

Kinda like the 10 sack Temple game. I think they just sacked the PSU QB again

Game Plan is pretty simple: Show Up.

As long as the Bus to the rent-a-stadium is not late the ass kicking PSU administers will start on time and there will be much rejoicing.

Reactions: PSU2UNC

Yea, that's an awesome and educated retort. Forget the fact that when Franklin took over the job, just 18 months prior to that Temple game, PSU had exactly 7 scholarship OL on the roster. In January 2014 Franklin started as PSU's HC... In March 2014 because we only had 7 scholarship OL on the roster he actually moved 2 of the DTs over to OL just to have enough bodies to run a practice... In September 2015 PSU faced a Temple team returning like all 11 starters on defense .... And it was Franklin's fault the OL was over-whelmed.

Reactions: joestheman
Sounds good but the other team generally doesn't just roll over and say good game. I would suggest we game plan a way to take the potential power game away that Pitt will rely on. Their QB stinks.

This is key. Pitt's QB is certainly not a world burner and PSUs guy will be making his first start on the road (despite having 25000 PSU fans in attendance who don't care about this series.) All snark aside it will come down to whether Pitt has a WR who can emerge as a #1 and how PSU's guy handles his emotions.

This is key. Pitt's QB is certainly not a world burner and PSUs guy will be making his first start on the road (despite having 25000 PSU fans in attendance who don't care about this series.) All snark aside it will come down to whether Pitt has a WR who can emerge as a #1 and how PSU's guy handles his emotions.

He handled them pretty well in a bowl game against a better team.

Pitt O vs PSU D:
Pitt's got a very nice running game with multiple backs capable of putting up yards and an above avg OL. Pitt's question mark on O is the vertical passing game. Do they have a playmaker that can stretch the D and if so, can their QB make the passes b/c I believe PSU's green DL will need help from the LBs and Secondary to stop the run. If Pitt cannot capitalize in the air, PSU can stack the box more.

PSU O vs Pitt D:
I just do not know what to expect. Lots of question marks on the OL and QB position to make a real prediction. I just hope the O can move the ball with some consistency because I think Pitt on O will be content to keep things close and play ball control, trying to wear down the PSU D. I am really hoping the PSU skilled players can make a few plays in the first half. If PSU can put up some points early, Pitt might not be able to rely on just handing the ball off 50 times and trying to wear the D down.

Special Teams:
No idea other than I hope PSU's is improved from a field position standpoint.

Reactions: bdgan
And Navy just scored again...we can go on and on.

No excuses, Lol, Navy did score at will. Navy was very good, though, and could score on almost any defense. But, this Navy mantra is kinda hypocritical considering that PSU gave 55 to Mich St, and their center ran for a TD. This isn't mentioned much on the Lair, but since Navy is constantly brought up here, a rebuttal is in store. Most teams have bad games. Pitt had some, as did PSU.

Last edited:
How to beat Pitt?

Don't play them;

Don't fund them;

Don't give them exposure;

Don't give them recognition.

To hell with these low-lifes, let them burn there like they babble and lie about Joe. Only in their case, it will be fact.

Reactions: Mufasa2
This is how lowly sPitt is....resting on TEMPLE'S laurels.
Next you'll be trotting out your "12-0" claim to fame as if beating a PSU team that lost to Akron means something.
Must really, really suck to be a Pitt fan.
Honestly, I've heard "navy just scored again" way more times than you losing to temple.

I find it comical how penn state fans continue to bring up the navy game.
As a Pitt fan, I'm not ashamed to say navy beat us bad. They were clearly the better team and as their record showed, they won the majority of the games they played. Most likely, the result against you would have been the same as well.
One of the many differences between Pitt and penn state fans is we can admit when we lose to a better team. Most of our losses this past year our opponents were just better. You on the other hand make excuses. Like mentioned earlier, the OSU and especially the MSU games were pathetic. You want to keep mentioning "navy scores again", well MSU just scored again and hackenburg just got sacked again!
You can dish it out, but when it's your time to take it you make excuses.
I'm curious, what is your excuse going to be when you lose to Pitt this year?
If Conner is near 100% I don't see many teams stopping him let alone your below average defense.

Yeah, but MSU and OSU aren't Navy.

He handled them pretty well in a bowl game against a better team.

No doubt but the situations are entirely different. If we're talking bowl games we can also revisit MSU against Baylor from two years ago. Sure, MSU's defense gave up a ton of points and yards but they also won that game.

As the cliche goes past performances don't predicate future results. McSorley may come in and look like Jameis Winston did at Heinz but we don't know that.

FWIW, when these Pitt threads I look for people who legitimately want to talk CFB. I certainly loathe Sandusky and anything that went down BUT I can also distinguish that from the fact that PSU stands for Pennsylvania State University and there are 18-22 yr olds that want to go play football there.

Penn State can't beat Pitt. Just go to the Liar board. They are all saying they'll kick the S$it out of us. I've determined one thing in reading that board over the last month and that is ...... Rutgersal has some relatives in Pittsburgh who are Pitt fans. Unfortunately rutgersal took the pleasantries with him when he moved to Jersey.

Reactions: biacto
Isn't it ironic that even when the humanist makes a post about football, the thread still turns to @#$%.

No excuses, Lol, Navy did score at will. Navy was very good, though, and could score on almost any defense. But, this Navy mantra is kinda hypocritical considering that PSU gave 55 to Mich St, and their center ran for a TD. This isn't mentioned much on the Lair, but since Navy is constantly brought up here, a rebuttal is in store. Most teams have bad games. Pitt had some, as did PSU.

Were they that good though really? PSU gets the Army game smacked in their face all the time and Navy didn't fare much better against Army than PSU did and PSU was playing without their best offensive weapon. Navy didn't really beat anyone good and the two good teams they did play beat the snot out of them. Yes MSU crushed Penn State (in the second half of the game) but MSU and Navy are worlds apart. But you're right, teams have bad games.

Reactions: joestheman
No doubt but the situations are entirely different. If we're talking bowl games we can also revisit MSU against Baylor from two years ago. Sure, MSU's defense gave up a ton of points and yards but they also won that game.

As the cliche goes past performances don't predicate future results. McSorley may come in and look like Jameis Winston did at Heinz but we don't know that.

FWIW, when these Pitt threads I look for people who legitimately want to talk CFB. I certainly loathe Sandusky and anything that went down BUT I can also distinguish that from the fact that PSU stands for Pennsylvania State University and there are 18-22 yr olds that want to go play football there.

In some ways the situations are different and one might argue they were more difficult for him...bowl game against a tough SEC opponent, coming off the bench and not expecting to play, no meaningful snaps prior to that, etc. Against Pitt he will have a full game under his belt and he will know he is playing. But we will see how he does.

There's some truth to that but let's say it's any other opponent but Pitt. There are a lot of other factors you're not considering just because you are discounting the
opponent. There is a lot more pressure involved because of several reasons including the fact that the season will just have started and he's no longer playing with house money. Not saying he can't do well but these games don't always turn out the way there supposed to.

There's some truth to that but let's say it's any other opponent but Pitt. There are a lot of other factors you're not considering just because you are discounting the
opponent. There is a lot more pressure involved because of several reasons including the fact that the season will just have started and he's no longer playing with house money. Not saying he can't do well but these games don't always turn out the way there supposed to.

I think if he's going to sh!t the bed due to nerves, it's more likely to happen in the first game. Home opener, huge crowd, pressure to crush Kent State. I think if he gets through that game he will be a little more calm and confident (he does not lack for confidence from all I've heard). I don't think the rivalry aspect will get to him because I doubt he's even that aware of the rivalry since it's not what it used to be especially to young people. Now if it was a game at Michigan or Ohio State, that might be too much for game number two. But he may crash and burn anyway, what do I know about the kid? Hell, Pitt's QB may crash and burn because they're playing Penn State. It's hard to say.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Yea, that's an awesome and educated retort. Forget the fact that when Franklin took over the job, just 18 months prior to that Temple game, PSU had exactly 7 scholarship OL on the roster. In January 2014 Franklin started as PSU's HC... In March 2014 because we only had 7 scholarship OL on the roster he actually moved 2 of the DTs over to OL just to have enough bodies to run a practice... In September 2015 PSU faced a Temple team returning like all 11 starters on defense .... And it was Franklin's fault the OL was over-whelmed.

Your right.. It has been a witch hunt". Everyone is against PSU...and JoPa. Yes the big ten refs scew you guys at every turn and everyone recruits against you.

If it makes you sleep better at night believe what you will.

Your right.. It has been a witch hunt". Everyone is against PSU...and JoPa. Yes the big ten refs scew you guys at every turn and everyone recruits against you.

If it makes you sleep better at night believe what you will.

Glad you see the obvious.

your one of the ones that think Sandusky is innocent. You guys need help

Show me one post in my over 3,000 posts where I even hinted that Sandusky might be innocent. You won't find a single one because I don't feel that way and never said it. Your post mentioned nothing about Sandusky...you said everyone is against PSU, which is true...you said it's a witch hunt against Joe, which is true...you said Big refs screw PSU, which is true...and you said everyone recruits against PSU, which is true. So refute one thing that you said without reverting to Sandusky.

New OL coach from Minnesota with top national talent last 2 years as OL recruits. Btw how's your Pitt coach doing recruiting OL talent last 2 years? Might want to check that out because after this year, yinz are in trouble with State AND the ACC when most of your OL Chryst recruited is gone.

If we don't beat ourselves and give the game to Pitt, we should win comfortably, by AT LEAST 14-17 pts.

Not to mention that the best team ASWP beat in their 8 wins was 8-5 and as a group had a losing record (47-52)! The 6 ACC wins were against a group of teams that had a combined record of 34-41! The other two OOC wins were against a 5-6 DI-AA team that ASWP gave up 37 points to and barely beat and an 8-5 mid-major also-ran in the MAC Conference?!?! Yea, that's just so damn impressive....NOT! And they're worse this year, not better, relative to last year.

Pitt fan here. If I were to look at this from an objective point of view and create a game plan for stopping us, I'd say stack the box on offense and make us pass. Tyler Boyd accounted for the majority of the offensive production last year and replacing him won't be easy. We have one starting receiver returning and we have our 3rd/4th receiver back as well on the opposite side, along with a lot of players with minimal experience. I'd say you'd want to try to make us air it deep, as our passing strength will be the short game and out to the TE's, who is one of our better offensive players. Peterman is also a pretty good quarterback, but his efficiency went down when being pressured, and I have no idea how he's going to be in Canada's offensive scheme. Put 8 in the box and make him get the ball off quick.

On defense, our strength is the front 7. We were ranked top 20 (I believe, don't hold me to this) in sacks in the nation, and we have the majority of that line back, along with a new DE who redshirted last year after playing as a true freshman at Tennessee. So we are pretty good at applying pressure, but you guys have some good running backs, so all bets are off, and vise versa with Conner and Ollison with us. If I was attacking our defense, I'd try to pick apart the secondary and get it into the flats, along with mixing in some counters and some screens. Our OLB's are the weakest of the front seven and can still get a lot better when it comes to pass coverage. On defense, we have Jordan Whitehead (our other best player besides Conner, don't be surprised if you see him on offense when you play us), and then it drops off. Our depth improved a lot but it still could improve. Our top corner is around 5'9" and the opposite will most likely be Hamlin, who will only be playing his 2nd game of college and in the system. I'd try exposing these matchups.

Hope you don't mind this insight. Always like talking some good football.

Front 7 sure didn't look that great against Navy who put up 412 yards of Rushing Offense and 600 yards of Total Offense (and 44 points in the process). Come on let's be honest here, how good can Pitt's front-7 be when 3-9 GaTech hung 376 Rushing Yards on them?

The Navy offense also had the 2nd best rushing offense in the country. Last year, we had the 40th best rushing defense in the country, which was about in the upper half of P5 once you take the G5 teams out. This was while playing the #2, #8, #18, #28, and #37 rushing offenses, respectively. We were also ranked #16 in the nation in sacks while going up against teams that were ranked 9, 13, 19, 25, 27 and 33 in sacks allowed. No matter how small or weak these stats may appear, the fact of the matter is that this is the strongest part of the defense. However, that may change depending on how the secondary looks week 1. They are the biggest question mark on defense right now for us, but they have some upside. We'll see.

Dude, you lost 5 games - not only did you lose to every double-digit win team you played, but you also lost to a crappy 8-5 Miami team! ASWP's 8 wins were a bunch of craptastic teams all of whom had at least 5 losses and who has a group had a losing record of 47-52! As for your, we stopped the #2, #8, #18, #28 and #37 rushing offenses bull$hit, ASWP gave up 412 yards to the #2 Rushing Offense, 376 Rushing Yards to the #8 Rushing Offense, 174 Rushing Yards to the #18 Rushing Offense, 175 Rushing Yards to the #28 Rushing Offense and 113 Rushing Yards to the #37 Rushing Offense.....IOW, against the teams you listed, ASWP gave up 250 Rushing YPG in these 5 games! How on earth is that a great showing by the Front-7 against the run??? ASWP also played the #49, #64, #75, #77, #81, #99, #117 Rushing Offenses and a 5-6 DI-AA team -- clearly ASWP performed better against these craptastic Rushing Defenses given that ASWP gave up 1,250 Rushing Yards (250 per game) to the 5 teams you mention of the total 1,930 Rushing Yards ASWP gave up to all 13 teams they played. By the way, ASWP's Rushing Defense was not top 20 in the nation - they were #40 giving up 148.5 Rushing YPG (HIT THE LINK).

ASWP gave up an average of 250 YPG Rushing against the 5 teams you mention (and went 2-3 against those teams) against the other 8 teams which have an average national ranking for Rushing Offense of 87, ASWP held these awful rushing teams to 85 Rushing YPG(and went 6-2 against these teams - in the two losses, they gave 116 yards to Miami who was ranked #117 in the nation in Rushing YPG and 105 Rushing YPG to Iowa who was #49 in the nation in rushing offense).

Given the performance of ASWP's front-7 against the best rushing teams they played (gave up 250 YPG), I'd hardly call that a great showing.

Dude, you lost 5 games - not only did you lose to every double-digit win team you played, but you also lost to a crappy 8-5 Miami team! ASWP's 8 wins were a bunch of craptastic teams all of whom had at least 5 losses and who has a group had a losing record of 47-52! As for your, we stopped the #2, #8, #18, #28 and #37 rushing offenses bull$hit, ASWP gave up 412 yards to the #2 Rushing Offense, 376 Rushing Yards to the #8 Rushing Offense, 174 Rushing Yards to the #18 Rushing Offense, 175 Rushing Yards to the #28 Rushing Offense and 113 Rushing Yards to the #37 Rushing Offense.....IOW, against the teams you listed, ASWP gave up 250 Rushing YPG in these 5 games! How on earth is that a great showing by the Front-7 against the run??? ASWP also played the #49, #64, #75, #77, #81, #99, #117 Rushing Offenses and a 5-6 DI-AA team -- clearly ASWP performed better against these craptastic Rushing Defenses given that ASWP gave up 1,250 Rushing Yards (250 per game) to the 5 teams you mention of the total 1,930 Rushing Yards ASWP gave up to all 13 teams they played. By the way, ASWP's Rushing Defense was not top 20 in the nation - they were #40 giving up 148.5 Rushing YPG (HIT THE LINK).

ASWP gave up an average of 250 YPG Rushing against the 5 teams you mention (and went 2-3 against those teams) against the other 8 teams which have an average national ranking for Rushing Offense of 87, ASWP held these awful rushing teams to 85 Rushing YPG(and went 6-2 against these teams - in the two losses, they gave 116 yards to Miami who was ranked #117 in the nation in Rushing YPG and 105 Rushing YPG to Iowa who was #49 in the nation in rushing offense).

Given the performance of ASWP's front-7 against the best rushing teams they played (gave up 250 YPG), I'd hardly call that a great showing.

Franklin - quit wasting your time and your energy.

Last year is behind us for both Pitt and PSU and how they and we performed last year.....good and bad.....is totally meaningless. Give it a rest and save your energy, the first college football game of this fall is a week from tomorrow.

Reactions: Nit16
Franklin - quit wasting your time and your energy.

Last year is behind us for both Pitt and PSU and how they and we performed last year.....good and bad.....is totally meaningless. Give it a rest and save your energy, the first college football game of this fall is a week from tomorrow.

Don't disagree, it is not me that is saying last year is relevant - quite the opposite. The ASWPers keep telling us how great they are going to be this year and every reason they give is based on how supposedly great they were last year. They weren't that great last year and this year's team is likely to be worse than last year's team as they have lost the few play-makers they had.

Both of our schools are still rebuilding.

Always appreciate a respectful Pitt poster, but I have to point out that "rebuilding" implies that a school is getting back to the level it generally is. PSU obviously was hit with unjust sanctions, and is rebuilding. But Pitt arguably is exactly where they always are:

Over the last 25 years, Pitt averaged 5.96 wins per year.
Over the last 20 years, Pitt has averaged 6.6 wins per year.
Over the last 15 years, Pitt averaged 7.2 wins per year
Over the last 10 years, Pitt averaged 7.1 wins per year
Over the last 5 years, Pitt has averaged 6.6 wins per year.

Pitt had 8 wins last season in a conference that is slightly tougher than the Big East. I would say they are not rebuilding, they are actually peaking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT