ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day ticket debacle

Shiniquiet

Aug 5, 2012
This is another disaster story. First, let me admit that a couple of years ago I had trouble with digital basketball tickets. Living in State College I stopped by the BJC and an ticket agent graciously fixed me up in no time. With the football tickets this year I thought I might have some trouble and I did. My sister-in-law transferred my ticket to me and I was able to accepted it but unable to get it to my Apple Wallet. So, literally, for the greater part of the last two days I've been trying to work things out. I've read countless ideas on the web, I've tried suggestions from this board and now when it's all said and I'm in worse shape than when it all started. So,...since I live only about 10 minutes away from the BJC I thought I'd stop by and have them help me again. Of course, they aren't open on Tuesdays....grrrrr. A short work week ( 4 days due to Labor Day), the week before a home game, a new ticket system, people having issues and it's just the regular hours, Wed., Thur., Fri., 11-4! What's with that? Spent more time than I should last night and this morning trying all sorts of things, some of which I'm sure I've tried before. It got to the point that Ticketmaster kicked me off because I was thought to be a robot trying to establish a security breech, according their system. It might take as long as two weeks to address that, according to what I've read. I arrived this morning at the BJC and at 10:45 there were at least 100 people standing in line for the doors to open. Forget it, Because I have some appointments this afternoon and believing that wait time in line could be substantial, I came home. Tomorrow I have to be in Pittsburgh for the day and I would be surprised on Friday if there's not more than double going to be standing in line all day. I'm resigned now that I'll be watching the game on TV. This experience has introduced me to a level of exasperation and anger which I didn't know I had. Thank you Penn State Athletics.

This is another disaster story. First, let me admit that a couple of years ago I had trouble with digital basketball tickets. Living in State College I stopped by the BJC and an ticket agent graciously fixed me up in no time. With the football tickets this year I thought I might have some trouble and I did. My sister-in-law transferred my ticket to me and I was able to accepted it but unable to get it to my Apple Wallet. So, literally, for the greater part of the last two days I've been trying to work things out. I've read countless ideas on the web, I've tried suggestions from this board and now when it's all said and I'm in worse shape than when it all started. So,...since I live only about 10 minutes away from the BJC I thought I'd stop by and have them help me again. Of course, they aren't open on Tuesdays....grrrrr. A short work week ( 4 days due to Labor Day), the week before a home game, a new ticket system, people having issues and it's just the regular hours, Wed., Thur., Fri., 11-4! What's with that? Spent more time than I should last night and this morning trying all sorts of things, some of which I'm sure I've tried before. It got to the point that Ticketmaster kicked me off because I was thought to be a robot trying to establish a security breech, according their system. It might take as long as two weeks to address that, according to what I've read. I arrived this morning at the BJC and at 10:45 there were at least 100 people standing in line for the doors to open. Forget it, Because I have some appointments this afternoon and believing that wait time in line could be substantial, I came home. Tomorrow I have to be in Pittsburgh for the day and I would be surprised on Friday if there's not more than double going to be standing in line all day. I'm resigned now that I'll be watching the game on TV. This experience has introduced me to a level of exasperation and anger which I didn't know I had. Thank you Penn State Athletics.

Yep. This will probably be the least attended game in memory. And next weeks game against Auburn will be a freakin joke.

Makes you not even want to go. Never thought I would say that. I do NOT want to take ANY electronic device into that mob of people.

With all the freakin money I’ve given to this ONCE great University, and the way they have treated us since Joe left, it almost makes me want to root for Ball State.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
This is clearly going to be a mess. Using the app, two weeks ago I was able to transfer tickets by simply entering the phone number of the receiving person. Apparently that is no longer an option. I too have tried calling the ticket office but haven't had any luck. At this point I just want to transfer three tickets to my wife and 2 friends so they can put them in their wallet. Fortunately for me I paid the $65 and bought the paper tickets. I feel bad for the people trying to move tickets around on Saturday at the stadium. This is going to be a major FUBAR.

The best part is they got rid of the third party organization managing the tickets with 12 people and replaced them with an in-house crew of 4. What could possibly go wrong?

I am on Android so I put my tickets on Google Pay (which can be viewed offline, which is why the suggestion is that you do that), but I am assuming it is the same process for Apple Wallet.

What is happening when you go to the PSU Athletics app to view your tickets? When you click on manage my tickets, then select the game you have tickets for, then select the ticket itself, there should be a button right under the barcode that says save to apple wallet (or something like that).

I am quite certain that somewhere in some building in the Athletics complex, 5 or more of the assistant athletic directors gathered together in a skull session and were rubbing their hands together, birdman style, and patting one another on the back, as they conjured up the great scheme to save even more money for the department by going to e-tickets. Forget for a moment that athletics used to tout their 'ticket magazine' that was implemented just a few seasons ago and was viewed as one of their major accomplishments. No, this schema will save beaucoup bucks. And everyone has a cell phone by now, right? And if not? Well then, athletics will have a dedicated place to 'print' your tickets on gameday....this is all going to work out wonderfully for athletics. For the average loyal Joe going to the games this fall? Well, they will quickly adapt without any issues.

Reactions: bison13
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED - THE STARS ALIGNED - THE GROUNDHOG SAW HIS SHADOW - I DID IT (not completely sure how)

I was finally able to change my Ticketmaster password and got back into TM. I was able to find some settings and horsed around a bit. The one thing I do remember is that I changed Edge to Safari. And then, somehow, I could transfer the ticket to Apple Wallet where it now resides. I can feel my level of rage starting of recede although I'm still pissed at Penn State Athletics for putting me through this. The way they are dealing with this is shameful. The Lion near Rec Hall has tears running down his face.

Brother. Exaggerate much? This is the perfect thing whiners complain about. It's not that complicated. I have 12 friends going to the game on Saturday. Everyone has their tickets. No problems. The 1000 word essay on your problem and aversion to technology is hysterical, though. We Are!! Enjoy watching on TV.

Brother. Exaggerate much? This is the perfect thing whiners complain about. It's not that complicated. I have 12 friends going to the game on Saturday. Everyone has their tickets. No problems. The 1000 word essay on your problem and aversion to technology is hysterical, though. We Are!! Enjoy watching on TV.
Thanks for chiming in Mr. Wonderful! Your input is invaluable. Everyone in my family had to do the transfer a few times for it to work. It wasn’t seamless. I hope I can become as great as you in all this stuff in the future. You did see earlier the OP said there were 100 in line at the ticket office? Apparently there are at least 100 more people not as Allamerican as you. Over-react much by saying the OP exagerated? He’s blowing off steam. Why don’t you chill and share your brilliance on something important instead of putting someone down?

I had no problems. The tix were emailed to me and I just opened the mail on my phone and downloaded them to the Apple Wallet.

You may be upset at PSU for “doing this” to you but the issue really isn’t them I am sorry to say.

It’s just how things are now -everything is electronic. Best thing to do is find a teenager to show you how to manage your apps.

And then you can pay him for his time-via Venmo of course. ;)

Reactions: PSU_Nut
For fans that don’t have a mobile device for their tickets, Sidwell said there will be “resolution booths” around the stadium for those fans to print their tickets, along with other troubleshooting that might arise. Ahead of time, Sidwell said there is a new chat bot on GoPSUSports.com that can answer any questions.

Reactions: john4psu
Thanks for chiming in Mr. Wonderful! Your input is invaluable. Everyone in my family had to do the transfer a few times for it to work. It wasn’t seamless. I hope I can become as great as you in all this stuff in the future. You did see earlier the OP said there were 100 in line at the ticket office? Apparently there are at least 100 more people not as Allamerican as you. Over-react much by saying the OP exagerated? He’s blowing off steam. Why don’t you chill and share your brilliance on something important instead of putting someone down?
Blah, Blah, Blah, whine, whine, complain, complain.

Reactions: PSU_Nut and Nitwit
Over-react much by saying the OP exagerated?
I thought the biggest exaggeration was in the second post, stating “This will probably be the least attended game in memory”. I mean, we’ll certainly have more fans on Saturday than we did for the last home game with fans in attendance (Rutgers on Thanksgiving weekend in 2019).

Yep. This will probably be the least attended game in memory. And next weeks game against Auburn will be a freakin joke.

Makes you not even want to go. Never thought I would say that. I do NOT want to take ANY electronic device into that mob of people.

With all the freakin money I’ve given to this ONCE great University, and the way they have treated us since Joe left, it almost makes me want to root for Ball State.
giphy.gif

Good one.

Thank you for understanding, FrontFlipper

The app has never worked for me. When I go to manage tickets, it says "you have not purchased or received tickets for any events". I can't get a resolution.

I worked around this by going to gopsusports.com/accountmanager and accessing my tickets there. This gives me the same options that the app was supposed to give me and I downloaded them to my google pay wallet.

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany 2.0
Nothing works when 60,000 people arrive at the ticket gates 20 minutes before kickoff and think they can be in their seats by kickoff.
How about it. When I did go to games I was in my seat 60 minutes before kickoff and still missed most of the 1st quarter due to late arrivals filling the aisles trying to get seated.

I thought the biggest exaggeration was in the second post, stating “This will probably be the least attended game in memory”. I mean, we’ll certainly have more fans on Saturday than we did for the last home game with fans in attendance (Rutgers on Thanksgiving weekend in 2019).
All reports are this will be a near sellout if not total. Will folks stay outside because of the mobile ticketing issues? I hope not. Certainly folks who have tickets now should absolutely know that they need to get their tickets downloaded to Wallet or Pay. Or, if they really don't have a smart phone or have some other Triassic issue, then they have gotten paper tickets.

I know a mobile ticket clvstrfvck is a huge fear around the AD's office and they are gonna try like heck to fix it with all the resolution booths but this is "new" and when "new" is imposed on a large bunch of people, it never works right the first time.

How about it. When I did go to games I was in my seat 60 minutes before kickoff and still missed most of the 1st quarter due to late arrivals filling the aisles trying to get seated.
I witnesses the same thing. When i went to games i always attended the tailgreats at the BJC. Went straight from the BJC to the stadium. Never a backup.

or any of the 2020 home games 😁

Just a thought, but maybe we can wait to see how it works on gameday before we complain about how bad it is.
why? the experience was bad for game day. a bad experience is a bad experience. on game day would be too late.

How about it CJF said "I know Cain dropped the ball ten times in practice, but hey, lets wait until gameday and see how it all works out!'

Reactions: step.eng69
Oh lord. I went to that game because I couldn’t pay people to take my tickets. I think 11 people were there.

Oh lord. I went to that game because I couldn’t pay people to take my tickets. I think 11 people were there.
Wasn’t even just the fans…Whalen (the temporary staffing company we use) had so much trouble finding people willing to work that game that a few of the busses came in from Atlanta.

Just a thought, but maybe we can wait to see how it works on gameday before we complain about how bad it is.

By then it’s too late. We need to put in the work now to build up the anger to a good o_O . That way, we’re primed for any little thing that goes wrong during the game. Preparation is the key to a good performance on game day.

why? the experience was bad for game day. a bad experience is a bad experience. on game day would be too late.

How about it CJF said "I know Cain dropped the ball ten times in practice, but hey, lets wait until gameday and see how it all works out!'
So I guess you have waited in line for 10 games with these electronic tickets and have had trouble getting in all 10 times. That's interesting since for most people Saturday's game will be their first with the new system.

My hope is that all of the people who are so upset with this new ticketing system (and Franklin's clock management, and Yurcich's new offense, and Clifford's quarterback play, and so many of the other things that they complain about on this board) stop going to and watching the games. I think that will make them (and so many others) happier.

So I guess you have waited in line for 10 games with these electronic tickets and have had trouble getting in all 10 times. That's interesting since for most people Saturday's game will be their first with the new system.

My hope is that all of the people who are so upset with this new ticketing system (and Franklin's clock management, and Yurcich's new offense, and Clifford's quarterback play, and so many of the other things that they complain about on this board) stop going to and watching the games. I think that will make them (and so many others) happier.
I haven't had any problems at all. But that doesn't mean I can't be empathetic to someone who is having problems. And the system is new. It is pretty clear PSU screwed up the handoff between their applications and ticketmasters.

Relax...let people have their opinions. what the hell would we post about if not that list of things you outlined?

I haven't had any problems at all. But that doesn't mean I can't be empathetic to someone who is having problems. And the system is new. It is pretty clear PSU screwed up the handoff between their applications and ticketmasters.

Relax...let people have their opinions. what the hell would we post about if not that list of things you outlined?
We could post about the women in Midnighters Polls, and what to put on scrapple.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
By then it’s too late. We need to put in the work now to build up the anger to a good o_O . That way, we’re primed for any little thing that goes wrong during the game. Preparation is the key to a good performance on game day.
Meanwhile I haven’t used a paper ticket for anything other than a HS play in like 5 years.

Oh the horror of electronic tickets. I am really not sure how some of you will survive. I think it is good that most of you are getting yourselves in a lather before there is actually a problem. Not sure if everyone is aware, but 99% of the venues outside of the greater Center County area have already gone paperless and what do you know.....people still get into events and any issues are quickly resolved. Shouldn't you be spending your time complaining about strangers salaries or the number of athletic directors?

Oh the horror of electronic tickets. I am really not sure how some of you will survive. I think it is good that most of you are getting yourselves in a lather before there is actually a problem. Not sure if everyone is aware, but 99% of the venues outside of the greater Center County area have already gone paperless and what do you know.....people still get into events and any issues are quickly resolved. Shouldn't you be spending your time complaining about strangers salaries or the number of athletic directors?
Yes but this IS PSU we are talking about sooo...Maybe you recall how f'd up parking can be duing the first few games? now add that on to all of this and the first game back in over a year.
I've been a season ticket holder for 22+ years, I get and understand their angst.

Last edited:
Yes but this IS PSU we are talking about sooo...Maybe you recall how f'd up parking can be duing the first few games? now add that on to all of this and the first game back in over a year.
I've been a season ticket holder for 22+ years, I get and understand their angst.
You know but of the issues are people not following directions. As I drive around town I see signs for parking in a lot of spots. If you live on Toftrees and your parking says follow N Parking do not go down Fox Hollow Road. You need to go Atherton to Park. I know you always went Fox Hollow in the past but now you can't.

Reactions: BBrown
You know but of the issues are people not following directions. As I drive around town I see signs for parking in a lot of spots. If you live on Toftrees and your parking says follow N Parking do not go down Fox Hollow Road. You need to go Atherton to Park. I know you always went Fox Hollow in the past but now you can't.
+1.

This is clearly going to be a mess. Using the app, two weeks ago I was able to transfer tickets by simply entering the phone number of the receiving person. Apparently that is no longer an option. I too have tried calling the ticket office but haven't had any luck. At this point I just want to transfer three tickets to my wife and 2 friends so they can put them in their wallet. Fortunately for me I paid the $65 and bought the paper tickets. I feel bad for the people trying to move tickets around on Saturday at the stadium. This is going to be a major FUBAR.

The best part is they got rid of the third party organization managing the tickets with 12 people and replaced them with an in-house crew of 4. What could possibly go wrong?
You can still transfer tickets via text using the app and my messaging app. I just transferred a ticket to a relative last night via text.

Thank you, Sandy Barber

The app has never worked for me. When I go to manage tickets, it says "you have not purchased or received tickets for any events". I can't get a resolution.

I worked around this by going to gopsusports.com/accountmanager and accessing my tickets there. This gives me the same options that the app was supposed to give me and I downloaded them to my google pay wallet.

anybody offer some help to me. so did the gopsusports.com account manager as noted above and found the tickets. but when i goto the app, it logs into a ticketmaster account that doesn't have them. in my gopsusports.com account, I actually for some reason have two accounts (i goto switch accounts and there are two for some reason). So it appears the app is logging into the account that is not correct and have no idea how to switch accounts

I get that this worked smoothly for some of you - great - but it's not just a cranky old troglodyte problem. I was just up at the BJC this a.m. to convert to paper tickets (primarily b/c easier for last minute handoffs) and there are HUNDREDS of (presumably) tech savvy students in line because they are experiencing glitches.

And the ticket office - knowing this would be the busiest ticket day ever - didn't open until 11:00 (although website says 9:00).

It will be a nightmare at the gates tomorrow. Fine by me - I'll just extend my tailgating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT