ADVERTISEMENT

Game 6: Penn State @ Iowa, 10/12, 7:30pm, ABC

This 247 writer, Brad Crawford, has dogged PSU from the preseason on. One article was saying Penn State could go 6-6. Never heard of him before this season but he's on my radar.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...tions-college-football-136715994/#136715994_3

Brad Crawford: One of those be careful spots for the unbeaten Nittany Lions, I think Iowa is a bit undervalued here after that 3-point stinker in Ann Arbor. The Hawkeyes were elite on defense last weekend and never expected senior quarterback Nate Stanley to play as bad as he did on the road. Lightning won't strike twice and the only pick here is taking Iowa at home, in my opinion. Penn State has more talent on offense, but I like Kirk Ferentz in this spot in prime-time. ... Iowa 24, Penn State 23.
"The only pick here is taking Iowa at home..."

If it's the only pick, you'd think it would be worth more than One. Point.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
To be fair, the 6-6 wasn't Crawford's prediction, it was his worst-case scenario for PSU. His best case scenario was 10-2. It's not totally unreasonable. PSU could still lose to tOSU UM MSU and Iowa. One game at a time. Beat Iowa and then on to the next one.

I wish I could have a job like that. Predicting a range of between 6-6 and 10-2 isn't exactly bold. Any record within that range and he'll be saying, "See? What did I tell you? I'm a journalistic genius!!"

This 247 writer, Brad Crawford, has dogged PSU from the preseason on. One article was saying Penn State could go 6-6. Never heard of him before this season but he's on my radar.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...tions-college-football-136715994/#136715994_3

Brad Crawford: One of those be careful spots for the unbeaten Nittany Lions, I think Iowa is a bit undervalued here after that 3-point stinker in Ann Arbor. The Hawkeyes were elite on defense last weekend and never expected senior quarterback Nate Stanley to play as bad as he did on the road. Lightning won't strike twice and the only pick here is taking Iowa at home, in my opinion. Penn State has more talent on offense, but I like Kirk Ferentz in this spot in prime-time. ... Iowa 24, Penn State 23.
Not hard to be an elite defense against an inept Michigan offense.

To be fair, the 6-6 wasn't Crawford's prediction, it was his worst-case scenario for PSU. His best case scenario was 10-2. It's not totally unreasonable. PSU could still lose to tOSU UM MSU and Iowa. One game at a time. Beat Iowa and then on to the next one.

Here's the article:
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...t-worst-case-scenarios-131042751/#131042751_7

Best-case scenario: (10-2, 7-2) — Not ashamed to admit I'm not as high on Penn State this season as some, but I do think the Nittany Lions could challenge for double-digit victories with an elite defense and offense that does enough to win games. Micah Parsons was really impressive last fall as a freshman, blossoming into a near instantaneous leader on his side of the football. This team will be all about the sum of its parts after replacing Trace McSorley and Miles Sanders and to hit this number, a 6-0 start is necessary heading into the Michigan game on Oct. 19.

Worst-case scenario: (6-6, 4-5) — What happens if Penn State's new starter at quarterback struggles during the first month of the season? Are the Nittany Lions in danger of losing to Pitt or Maryland? The good news is Penn State's Big Ten opener comes after an open week, early in the season, sure, but crucial nonetheless. There would be unrest among the fanbase if this disaster scenario came to fruition, a devastating 6-6 finish that would likely include setbacks vs. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Iowa in conference play.

He's full of sh#t

Worst-case scenario: (9-3, 7-2) — It's hard to pick out three Big Ten losses on the schedule this season for the Michigan Wolverines outside of another potential loss to Ohio State and a 1-1 split in road games with Penn State and Wisconsin, so we'll go with No. 3 coming via Notre Dame in October. That's a must-win game for Michigan as far as College Football Playoff hopes are concerned and could really turn this season from good to potentially great. It'll come in handy too in the eyes of the selection committee if the Wolverines are in contention down the stretch.

One matchup to watch is Walker/Fries vs. Epenesa/Chauncey Golston.
PSU hasn't seen defensive ends like this yet this season -- well, they have in practice.

Iowa is basically Pitt on both sides of the LOS. They will come out and give us their best shot at home, but I feel this is a game Penn State should win. I don't see either team scoring a lot of points here though. Things that I'll be looking for:

* Does the PSU run defense live up to the considerable hype?

* Will PSU be able to generate any semblance of a run game against the Hawkeye defense?

* Have we eliminated the 3rd and long pass coverage brain farts?

* How will Clifford react and will the short-mid passing game continue to evolve against a solid Iowa defense?

One matchup to watch is Walker/Fries vs. Epenesa/Chauncey Golston.
PSU hasn't seen defensive ends like this yet this season -- well, they have in practice.

Agree. FWIW, they didn't stand out too much last weekend against Michigan. Played good against the run but looked pretty average rushing the QB IMHO (managed 2 sacks on 26 pass attempts).

Both these 247 dudes are clowns.

Chris Hummer: My bold pick for the week is the Terps over the Nittany Lions. Coming off a bye, I like Maryland to look a lot more explosive than when we last saw them against Temple. From Penn State’s perspective, I simply don’t trust the offense to yet move the ball against good defensive competition. Mike Locksley gets another statement win early in his tenure. … Maryland 35, Penn State 34.

Brad Crawford: I don't disagree with the selection here from Hummer and home teams in college football getting points is always a favorable scenario, but the loss to Temple exposed warts for me when assessing the Terps. And Maryland is planning a blackout on Friday night, which so often backfires in a big spot vs. a good team. ... Penn State 34, Maryland 24.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
pretty funny (and only semi serious) rant from an Iowa fan on reddit

I'm ****ing sick of it. I'm sick of going into every thread and seeing countless people telling me to relax because Kinnick at night "is so spooky"..

There is nothing ****ing spooky about a team that scores three points with eight sacks and ****ing one yard rushing.

There is nothing ****ing spooky about a team whose offense is more ****ing predictable than the sunrise... a team eternally on pace for SEVEN wins, beating some cupcake nonconference teams and Big 10 bottom dwellers to get to bowl eligibility and extend the coaches' contract for two decades.

There is NOTHING ****ING SPOOKY ABOUT A TEAM THAT COLLAPSES MORE THAN THE CUSTOMERS OF LIFE ALERT.

But I have to go into every ****ING single thread in this sub about my team and listen to countless people tell me to calm down because dude you're team is so spooky bra Kinnick at night bra

No stfu YOU DONT TELL ME HOW TO FEEL. My team hasn't won the Big Ten SINCE ****ING 2004.. I've heard this spooky term thrown around for a ****ING decade and it hasn't worked since JoePa died of shame so don't even talk to me about trusting some goddamn sp00ky process fans I'm sick of my team

When I die I want the Hawkeyes to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one more time

I'm ****ing sick of it. I'm sick of going into every thread and seeing countless people telling me to relax because Kinnick at night "is so spooky"..

There is nothing ****ing spooky about a team that scores three points with eight sacks and ****ing one yard rushing.

There is nothing ****ing spooky about a team whose offense is more ****ing predictable than the sunrise... a team eternally on pace for SEVEN wins, beating some cupcake nonconference teams and Big 10 bottom dwellers to get to bowl eligibility and extend the coaches' contract for two decades.

There is NOTHING ****ING SPOOKY ABOUT A TEAM THAT COLLAPSES MORE THAN THE CUSTOMERS OF LIFE ALERT.

But I have to go into every ****ING single thread in this sub about my team and listen to countless people tell me to calm down because dude you're team is so spooky bra Kinnick at night bra

No stfu YOU DONT TELL ME HOW TO FEEL. My team hasn't won the Big Ten SINCE ****ING 2004.. I've heard this spooky term thrown around for a ****ING decade and it hasn't worked since JoePa died of shame so don't even talk to me about trusting some goddamn sp00ky process fans I'm sick of my team

When I die I want the Hawkeyes to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one more time

Good Lord.

If watching 20-year-olds play a game is that traumatic for you, it's time to perhaps find a different hobby. Hobbies aren't supported to raise your blood pressure into pre-cardiac arrest levels.

Their D-line might be down a little from last year with Anthony Nelson and Parker Hesse in the NFL. Only 7 sacks, on pace for 18 for the year -- last year they had 35. Epenesa and Golston are for real but maybe not enough depth.

On the other hand you can't ask for any more than what the defense did against Michigan with an offense that produced nothing but interceptions and punts for most of the day. They never gave in. They are tough SOBs like every year.

Agree. FWIW, they didn't stand out too much last weekend against Michigan. Played good against the run but looked pretty average rushing the QB IMHO (managed 2 sacks on 26 pass attempts).

The one thing Penn State has to do is score when given the opportunity. Too many times over the past couple of years, they’ve left points on the table by settling for a field goal or having a costly turnover when we could have added 7 points, and this has allowed teams to stick around longer than they should have (last two Ohio State games, Iowa 2017, etc). Hopefully, the offense comes out with a killer attitude and strikes early and quick.

Good Lord.

If watching 20-year-olds play a game is that traumatic for you, it's time to perhaps find a different hobby. Hobbies aren't supported to raise your blood pressure into pre-cardiac arrest levels.
lol nah he wasn't being serious really....judging by his other responses....playing it up a bit for the r/cfb crowd

CJF ... let’s kick some ass Saturday night!
giphy.gif

1. Heavy.com
  2. Sports
Penn State vs. Iowa Betting Preview: Trends, Odds, & Pick
gettyimages-1173860365-e1570539839830.jpg

KJ Hamler #1 of the Penn State Nittany Lions celebrates after catching a pass for a touchdown against the Purdue Boilermakers during the first half at Beaver Stadium on October 5, 2019 in State College, Pennsylvania.

Though none of the Nittany Lions’ players are putting up Heisman-worthy statistics, Sean Clifford has been an admirable successor to Trace McSorley. He has passed for 1,443 yards and 12 touchdowns with just two interceptions and a quarterback rating of 182.8. He is the seventh-most efficient passer in the FBS and is also one of three with 200 or more rushing yards alongside Journey Brown and Noah Cain. Meanwhile, Devyn Ford (198) is knocking at the door to join the club.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Penn State visits Iowa with a reminder: Keep your helmets close at Kinnick Stadium
iu

Penn State linebacker Jesse Luketa has readied himself with a travel tip for his first game at Iowa: Keep your helmet close.

“I’ve been told that if you take your helmet off, the fans will take it and pass it up into the stadium," Luketa said. "That’s something I’m not trying to experience, so I’m going to make sure I keep my helmet on my head."

Sophomore linebacker Micah Parsons is among those making his first trip to Iowa City. He’s eager to see whether the stories are true.

“I hear Iowa is one of the best in the country, so I’m looking forward to really experiencing it,” Parsons said. “From what the guys said when they went out there [in 2017], with a comeback, last-drive victory, they said it was nuts. So I can’t wait.”

HAWKEYES FOOTBALL
Penn State football will bring pressure on Iowa's offense
iu

For the second straight season, Penn State’s defense leads the Football Bowl Subdivision in sacks.

The Nittany Lions have chased down opposing quarterbacks 25 times during their 5-0 start, including 10 times in last weekend’s 35-7 win over Purdue.

The Nittany Lions rank second in the country in fewest points allowed this season, giving up 7.4 per game to sit one spot ahead of the 8.8 Iowa has surrendered on average

Penn State, which also leads the nation with 52 tackles for a loss, is using those sacks to allow just 50.6 rushing yards per game and has held three of its first opponents to fewer than 10 first downs.

No offense to Life Alert customers but that one made me laugh even if the guy who posted it seems like a douche.

Some Iowa/Michigan game observations:

*The Iowa defense held the terrible, awful, horrible, very bad, Mecheatagain offense to 120 total rushing yards on 33 attempts.
*Iowa did have some plays in the MeSuckagain backfield - TFLs stuff. Gholston mostly. #94 Epenesa had a really nice solo sack.
*scUM QB had time to through most of the game.
*Iowa corners couldn't watch up with the Skunkbears WRs.
*Stanley threw into double that led to an INT. Not sure how a QB with his experience makes that kind of mistake. Gift INT. He looked awful in this game. He was absolutely shelled in this game.

I think IA will effectively take away the PS run game. Its going to come down to the PS ability to beat the IA corners and how much protection Clifford can have. I think Sean can really hurt IA on scrambling once IA is playing pass defense.

Would be devastating to lose to a team with such a poor QB. Save turnovers, I don't see IA winning this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT