ADVERTISEMENT

From Micah’s twitter 25 minutes ago

The freshman who took bad angles was Jesse Luketa. Almost looked like a defensive end with his size and the way he moved. Not as quick/fast as I was expecting, but I'm sure the field quality contributed.

I thought most of our linebackers looked tentative, as if they weren't sure where they were supposed to be. There's a clear athletic difference of the younger ones over the older. I think it's time to change the guard and take the growing pains.

The big difference in this game was our DL against the Pitt OL. That was a surprise. Hard to know where we really stand until the OSU game.

The freshman who took bad angles was Jesse Luketa. Almost looked like a defensive end with his size and the way he moved. Not as quick/fast as I was expecting, but I'm sure the field quality contributed.

I thought most of our linebackers looked tentative, as if they weren't sure where they were supposed to be. There's a clear athletic difference of the younger ones over the older. I think it's time to change the guard and take the growing pains.

The big difference in this game was our DL against the Pitt OL. That was a surprise. Hard to know where we really stand until the OSU game.

Parsons tried to go inside a teammate twice in the first half and ended up getting beat outside for huge plays. He’s going to be great, but he definitely allowed a couple big plays by not containing.

Reactions: LionJim
Parsons tried to go inside a teammate twice in the first half and ended up getting beat outside for huge plays. He’s going to be great, but he definitely allowed a couple big plays by not containing.
the young guys are still thinking about what they should do. with more experience, they'll begin to react instinctively, and natural talent will take over. have to hope this will be sooner than later.

Agree but in the 2nd half I saw him close on the ball better than any LB we’ve had in years. Worth taking the lumps with this kid...he needs to start and play the majority of snaps moving forward.

Reactions: wbcincy

Yep, Pitt's OL is likely on of the worst, if not the worst, of all P5 teams. And getting Givens back, our best DLinemen (and yes I believe he is better and more important to the DL than Miller and YGM) back really swung the trenches battle in PSU's favor.

Farmer needs to be moved out of the box. He struggles inside. He had 1 tackle last night. Move him back to his better OLB position and let Micah start at the Will. JJ played better last night at MLB. Brooks and Luketa will hopefully continue to progress at MLB.

the young guys are still thinking about what they should do. with more experience, they'll begin to react instinctively, and natural talent will take over. have to hope this will be sooner than later.
The key is that they need to quickly learn thru experience to anticipate, not react. This alone makes is what will make them them play faster.

PSU ought to get Jack Ham to spend a little time with the young linebackers to talk about angles. Ham was a master at picking the proper angles on each play.

Agree but in the 2nd half I saw him close on the ball better than any LB we’ve had in years. Worth taking the lumps with this kid...he needs to start and play the majority of snaps moving forward.
How dare you? Are you a coach who is at practice every day? Don't you know that LaVar was not a starter as a freshman?(sarcasm)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT