ADVERTISEMENT

From Caught Cheating To Playing For The National Championship Tonight In The Same Season.......

The NCAA totally muffed this one. UM has a great team and could have legitimately won it honestly. PATHETIC!
Yeah but how many recruits did they get based on the success they may have had from cheating? Surely the success convinced some recruits that otherwise would not have committed. Idk. It sucks knowing that cheating is allowed with very little negative consequences.

Yep, and ESPN just brushes it off as no big deal.
Well, it is no big deal until Michigan’s held accountable. I’m not so optimistic that the NCAA is really gonna fall through and do anything to strip them of their “earned”title so until that happens Michigan’s national champions

First the Astros, now UM. I'm sure they don't care or have any sort of regret, they got their championships.

Reactions: dailybuck777
First the Astros, now UM. I'm sure they don't care or have any sort of regret, they got their championships.
Should they care? If Penn State did what Michigan did then won I wouldn't care. They beat Penn State Ohio State Bama and Washington after it broke. Vacated or not...a title is a title

Reactions: manilion

Good summary of how the "facts" are perceived depending on your allegiance.

I have a current pupil who moved here from Ann Arbor. She swam with Harbaugh's daughter and claims that Michigan didn't cheat because "Mr. Harbaugh is such a nice guy."

When I asked her about sign stealing she said "Everyone does that."

It was fun banter- and I did tell her that her UM fleece sweats were the ugliest I'd ever seen.

So it will go. Most of America realizes the team itself is great. Self-inflicted wounds or not- they should not have been in the Playoff if anyone cares about rules.

If I cheated on my wife, and she had receipts and testimony from my hook ups, woukd she forgive me "because everyone is doing it?" If I then professed that it was "all a sham" does that undo my actions?

To be "not guilty" is one thing. For Jimmah to claim "innocence." Is another. To buy his bullshit is delusional- SO NOTHING HAPPENED? Please....

Wolverines. Astros. Asterisks.

Harbaugh Hero or Harbaugh Whore?

What exactly are the ethics of a Michigan Man?

I really don't care anymore. CFB is so far removed from the game I really enjoyed watching. It is now a worse version of the NFL. I think allegiance is fading everywhere and I don't think that toothpaste can go back in the tube. I watch less CFB every year.
Correct. No one cares about the minor leagues. The NIL/Transfer portal stuff has happened so fast, that some haven't figured it out yet. Unless something substantially changes, interest will plummet, which will force many other changes as the money dries up for tickets, TV, as well as NIL.
It's like watching a slow motion implosion, where there participants are just trying to extract every dollar they can before the it's just a pile of rubble.

Reactions: shifix
Correct. No one cares about the minor leagues. The NIL/Transfer portal stuff has happened so fast, that some haven't figured it out yet. Unless something substantially changes, interest will plummet, which will force many other changes as the money dries up for tickets, TV, as well as NIL.
It's like watching a slow motion implosion, where there participants are just trying to extract every dollar they can before the it's just a pile of rubble.
Interest level of younger fans is increasing--we understand that's the demo this is all targeted for. Not people wishing it was still the 60s/70s/80s
A larger playoff alone will greatly help college football with the casual fan

Interest level of younger fans is increasing--we understand that's the demo this is all targeted for. Not people wishing it was still the 60s/70s/80s
We will see. The younger fan doesn't care about the minor leagues either. They will be the last to figure it out.

Gen Z cares about sports far less than previous generations on the whole.
100%. Stadiums are too large and will see dwindling attendance regardless but the goal is a productive they'll watch on devices. Like us complaining about games being on Peacock when that's a win for them.

100%. Stadiums are too large and will see dwindling attendance regardless but the goal is a productive they'll watch on devices. Like us complaining about games being on Peacock when that's a win for them.

I’m not sure Peacock is a win for that demographic. If the games were on Twitch then sure.

likely-peacock-subscribers-by-generation.jpg

I agree. I know I am not the demographic they worry about. I'm 55 and this shift just hasn't suited my sensibilities. To me what has made CFB a great product is the loyalty that people felt to their school. I know a lot of fans are not Alums of the teams the cheer for but that was always the sense.

I am glad that players are not locked in at a particular school but pure free agency with no penalty doesn't seem to be the answer either.

They will now be moving to a playoff system that is essentially the same as it is now. It will exclude teams before the games are even played. Teams will still be selected by a select few. There will just be more of them selected which I don't view as a step forward at all. Unless you change the league structure you can't have a legit playoff if league are excluded even though they play in the same classification. They are using the add more to add more fans theory which will work for a while.

Reactions: JimNazium
well, i

I have a current pupil who moved here from Ann Arbor. She swam with Harbaugh's daughter and claims that Michigan didn't cheat because "Mr. Harbaugh is such a nice guy."

It was fun banter- and I did tell her that her UM fleece sweats were the ugliest I'd ever seen.

So it will go. Most of America realizes the team itself is great. Self-inflicted wounds or not- they should not have been in the Playoff if anyone cares about rules.

If I cheated on my wife, and she had receipts and testimony from my hook ups, woukd she forgive me "because everyone is doing it?" If I then professed that it was "all a sham" does that undo my actions?

To be "not guilty" is one thing. For Jimmah to claim "innocence." Is another. To buy his bullshit is delusional- SO NOTHING HAPPENED? Please....

t's hard to agrue that harbaugh did something against the rules...suspended for 6 games total in 2023. If everybody does it, as the young lady says, then every coach would have been suspended

To be fair, you asked the wrong question and this is an example of why Michigan has successfully pushed this topic to the back burner. Why didn’t you ask about advanced scouting? That’s why he was suspended. Not sign stealing. Everyone steals signs, or tries to, during the game. not everyone buys tickets and discreetly sends people to record almost every future opponents sidelines.

You all need to get over it. UM did something YOU know Franklin never will, no matter how much salt you throw at Harbough it will never change that.

Pretending this is the same as minor leagues doesn't make sense. It's desperate.

mi·nor league
a league below the level of the major league in a particular professional sport.

of lesser power or significance.
--------------------------------------------------------
Just because you don't see it yet, doesn't make it wrong.
Amateurism has appeal.
What drove interest in CFB traditionally was a mutual bond to the institution. Annual portalling to Gr$$ner pastures kills that.
As CFB more closely resembles a professional league (Free agency, players commanding 6-7figure compensation) people will naturally care less.
People in Alabama and Mississippi will still care because there is no NFL competition, and because the professionalism with which they have always approached it has simply been legalized, but for the vast majority, the NFL is a far better professional product.

As I've said before, I expect major college basketball to go away soon. There is no legitimate purpose for it anymore. AAU and G-League can replace it as a development system with little disruption, and can probably develop players better, when there is no hint of having to "play school."
Major CFB is a bit trickier due to overhead expense. That's why I believe it simply contracts with the likely outcome being a ~20 team "Super League" with the rest returning to football as an extra-curricular where the vast majority of players are seeking an education first. The primary question is whether the "super league" players continue to remain as students or whether the teams become "affiliated" entities of the Universities with non-students who are paid outright.

I don't understand your "desperate" charge, but the only thing I see as misguided is the idea that CFB will continue to resemble anything we recognize today, in structure, interest, or money.

You all need to get over it. UM did something YOU know Franklin never will, no matter how much salt you throw at Harbough it will never change that.
True. He will never oversee a program that pays a 25yo to send people to future opponents' games to videotape their signs and then have that 25yo, with no coaching experience and a laminated card, talking directly in the ear of the HC/OC/DC as plays are beings called during games. Great point @manilion

I agree. I know I am not the demographic they worry about. I'm 55 and this shift just hasn't suited my sensibilities. To me what has made CFB a great product is the loyalty that people felt to their school. I know a lot of fans are not Alums of the teams the cheer for but that was always the sense.

I am glad that players are not locked in at a particular school but pure free agency with no penalty doesn't seem to be the answer either.

They will now be moving to a playoff system that is essentially the same as it is now. It will exclude teams before the games are even played. Teams will still be selected by a select few. There will just be more of them selected which I don't view as a step forward at all. Unless you change the league structure you can't have a legit playoff if league are excluded even though they play in the same classification. They are using the add more to add more fans theory which will work for a while.
I honestly don't really understand what was wrong with the transfer rules before. However, I guess the only constant in life is change. I just hope they can somehow regulate this mess.

mi·nor league
a league below the level of the major league in a particular professional sport.

Amateurism has appeal.
What drove interest in CFB traditionally was a mutual bond to the institution. Annual portalling to Gr$$ner pastures kills that.
As CFB more closely resembles a professional league (Free agency, players commanding 6-7figure compensation) people will naturally care less.
People in Alabama and Mississippi will still care because there is no NFL competition, and because the professionalism with which they have always approached it has simply been legalized, but for the vast majority, the NFL is a far better professional product.

As I've said before, I expect major college basketball to go away soon. There is no legitimate purpose for it anymore. AAU and G-League can replace it as a development system with little disruption, and can probably develop players better, when there is no hint of having to "play school."
Major CFB is a bit trickier due to overhead expense. That's why I believe it simply contracts with the likely outcome being a ~20 team "Super League" with the rest returning to football as an extra-curricular where the vast majority of players are seeking an education first. The primary question is whether the "super league" players continue to remain as students or whether the teams become "affiliated" entities of the Universities with non-students who are paid outright.

I don't understand your "desperate" charge, but the only thing I see as misguided is the idea that CFB will continue to resemble anything we recognize today, in structure, interest, or money.
All great information. However you missed the fact that most schools don’t care about championships. It’s about money being brought in. Additionally, the fact that 99 percent of athletes don’t play professionally after college shows how important the educational aspect of sports scholarships still means something.

Reactions: Yanks49
mi·nor league

Amateurism has appeal.

As long as it's tied to colleges it won't be "a minor league"
Using this definition it always has been a minor league to the NFL
I do see a super league but there will be more teams because the elite teams need some easy wins

All great information. However you missed the fact that most schools don’t care about championships. It’s about money being brought in. Additionally, the fact that 99 percent of athletes don’t play professionally after college shows how important the educational aspect of sports scholarships still means something.
What % if Big Ten/SEC players play in the NFL?

I didn't mention championships. It IS all about money and the money will decline with the decline in interest.

As long as it's tied to colleges it won't be "a minor league"
Using this definition it always has been a minor league to the NFL
I do see a super league but there will be more teams because the elite teams need some easy wins
You're splitting hairs and playing semantics.
Nobody cares about the G-League
Nobody cares about A/AA/AAA baseball
Nobody cares about the XFL/USFL or whatever they have renamed themselves.

College football has always been uniquely different because it was amateurs, and any attempts to breach that amateur status were considered competition violations that came with penalties. The same thing holds for the Olympics - amateurs competing for their country. The injection of professionals has crushed interest. Watch a tennis player at the Acme Classic this week and at the olympics next week..meh. Watch skiers on the World Pro Ski tour and then once every four years, see them on one of the same mountain in the olympics. IMHO, CFB is currently in the "Dream Team" stage. Olympic basketball once had great interest - Amateur college athletes competing against the world. Inject Pros and there was huge interest in the best NBA all-stars competing for the USA. It was HUGE...but today, no one cares, and many/most? NBA all-stars choose not even to play.

When CFB moves further toward professionalism vs amateurism, they will seem a lot more like the XFL/USFL..having a tie to university will no longer be a compelling aspect with the loss of amateurism.

To be fair, you asked the wrong question and this is an example of why Michigan has successfully pushed this topic to the back burner. Why didn’t you ask about advanced scouting? That’s why he was suspended. Not sign stealing. Everyone steals signs, or tries to, during the game. not everyone buys tickets and discreetly sends people to record almost every future opponents sidelines.
You are correct but while she is a super nice kid, she isn't a big sports fan beyond swimming. Often with school kids in general whatever opinion they are sharing is often just parrotting whatever their parents say.

In this case- if "everyone" were hiring former Naval intelligence officers with no real football skill or acumen to their staffs to analyze opponents' play calling trends, body language, and history. Then provide such a person with direct access to Coordinators during games because his insight is valuable, to only then realize that he had been running a recording scheme funded by alumni donors to do something that is explicitly against the rules and then proclaim "Innocence" is pretty far fetched.

Maybe Jimmah didn't directly instruct Conor the Stalion to do anything. It is possible that only Conor knew that his GNC analytics were "supplemented" with Barry Bonds level "Creme and Clear" steroids.

At the end of the day a UM staffer had gleened unfair advantages for the Wolverines via unfair methods. This went on for years. And somehow nobody ever thought that Academy boy wonder just kept rolling snakeyes over, and over and over. He must be that brilliant- an adopted Michigan Man.

From an ethical standpoint UM doesn't have a leg to stand on. But maybe they can use their CFP trophy to prop up their mutated standards.

As the Ft Worth Telegram opined- team is good but dirty. They collectively "won" together and will collectively share the punishment.

Reactions: GSPMax and Yanks49

College football has always been uniquely different because it was amateurs, and any attempts to breach that amateur status were considered competition violations that came with penalties. The same thing holds for the Olympics - amateurs competing for their country. The injection of professionals has crushed interest. Watch a tennis player at the Acme Classic this week and at the olympics next week..meh. Watch skiers on the World Pro Ski tour and then once every four years, see them on one of the same mountain in the olympics. IMHO, CFB is currently in the "Dream Team" stage. Olympic basketball once had great interest - Amateur college athletes competing against the world. Inject Pros and there was huge interest in the best NBA all-stars competing for the USA. It was HUGE...but today, no one cares, and many/most? NBA all-stars choose not even to play.

When CFB moves further toward professionalism vs amateurism, they will seem a lot more like the XFL/USFL..having a tie to university will no longer be a compelling aspect with the loss of amateurism.

Loss of amateurism isn't the biggest issue these days, its unchecked free agency. No league at any level could operate with the kind of movement you see here. Imagine the NFL if every player's contract had a player option to terminate at the conclusion of every regular season no penalty, and the free agency window overlapped with the playoffs. Plus let's have the draft sometime in the earlier part of that window, how about the Wednesday before the first round of the playoffs, as well. That's essentially CFB.

People still care about the Olympics. Even though it has dropped amateurism.

The only constant is change. Learn to embrace it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT