ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I've been one of his biggest fans through thick and thin, but all good things must come to an end. And this good thing has stopped being good. Even James knows that. You can see it in his thousand-yard stare looking at yet another 4th-quarter failure.

Just one stop. Can't do it. One drive. Can't manage it. It's a familiar story.

He accomplished a lot at Penn State and deserves credit for that. But at the end of the day, his trademark is the inability to seal the deal in big games. Is that his fault? Who knows.

The problem I have with those calling for his head on a platter is their naivete in thinking we can somehow get a guy who will return us to the Glory Days. In fact, if he leaves, he may take a good part of next year's top-5 recruiting class with him. The Glory Days will not return anytime soon...and believe it or not, proven ace coaches are not lining up to come to Happy Valley.

Still, it is what it is. At some point, the time comes to shuffle the cards and deal another hand. I'm pretty sure James wants out. But is he still a hot hire at places like USC or LSU?

If there is doubt whether schools are still interested, wouldn’t there also be doubt about him being able to take all of the recruits with him???

I would have to believe that there is a lot of second thoughts in recruits minds right now as well.

Reactions: Cosmos and N&B4PSU
Personally I hope he stays. However, if he goes, such is life.

My thing is if he stays it needs to be made clear to him - you’re all in, or you’re out. This annual rumor mill BS of him thinking about leaving needs to stop. It’s old and tiresome. Again, I want him to stay. But, if he is hellbent on getting out of here, then go. Whatever.

Obviously I don’t know what is going on in that locker room. I can’t help but to think these rumors are at least having some negative effect on the team.

I've been one of his biggest fans through thick and thin, but all good things must come to an end. And this good thing has stopped being good. Even James knows that. You can see it in his thousand-yard stare looking at yet another 4th-quarter failure.

He accomplished a lot at Penn State and deserves credit for that. But at the end of the day, his trademark is the inability to seal the deal in big games. Is that his fault? Who knows.

The problem I have with those calling for his head on a platter is their naivete in thinking we can somehow get a guy who will return us to the Glory Days. In fact, if he leaves, he may take a good part of next year's top-5 recruiting class with him. The Glory Days will not return anytime soon...and believe it or not, proven ace coaches are not lining up to come to Happy Valley.

Still, it is what it is. At some point, the time comes to shuffle the cards and deal another hand. I'm pretty sure James wants out. But is he still a hot hire at places like USC or LSU?
No he is here next year. I think he has to produce with Allar and shore up the O-Line or he will eventually be fired. When and how bad does it have to get, who knows.

You are spot on, his trademark at this point is losing key games and the inability of his teams to make clutch plays. Heck we can't even make a clutch play in OT to beat Illinois at home! It is sad because as a fan you now ask yourself how PSU will manage to lose yet another winnable game instead of expecting to win and I think that thought process and culture has crept into the program.

If Franklin finally does get fired say after 4 straight 4-5 loss seasons, starting next season (just throwing that out there as some kind of metric) then we ain't getting any superstar coach to come in. At that point we will effectively have become Minnesota.

I got off the Franklin bandwagon last year. I’m not ready to run him out of town yet but I’ll buy his plane ticket to LAX so he can stop with the one foot out the door routine.

His teams are consistently unprepared to play, play down to competition, have limited offensive output or gain lots of yards but make lots of critical mistakes, and somehow as good as the defense is it frequently gives up a huge play at the wrong time. His coaching staff continuously refuses to put his players in position to succeed by not preparing them well and then making illogical play calls.

You dont need a superstar "name" coach , A young charismatic coach who is waiting to get his chance.
Right now Franklin isn't earning his money. Part of being successful is having continuity with assistants. We have had a revolving door of offensive co-ordinators and others. That is Franklins fault. He makes the decisions who he hires..

Sabin at Alabama can get away with coaching turnover because he's where superstar coaches go to rebrand, regroup and reestablish themselves before moving on. ie. Kiffin, Sarkisian, O'Brien to name a few. (Heck, even Gaddis used Alabama to build his resume.)

The past two years are on Franklin. The players are working hard and playing their arses off. Lets see what he does this off season. We lose ALOT after this season. Lets see what talent he brings in through the high school kids and portal. Hopefully he keeps his coaches.

My thing is if he stays it needs to be made clear to him - you’re all in, or you’re out. This annual rumor mill BS of him thinking about leaving needs to stop. It’s old and tiresome. Again, I want him to stay. But, if he is hellbent on getting out of here, then go. Whatever.

Obviously I don’t know what is going on in that locker room. I can’t help but to think these rumors are at least having some negative effect on the team.
Who, other than blog hacks looking for clicks, says he’s thinking about leaving?
Pay attention to what someone does, not what someone says. He’s busting his ass recruiting. Why would he be doing that if he’s planning to leave?

We need to go all in on Rhule. His ceiling is higher than Franklins. It will prob take 3-5 years, but we will be legit, and a playoff team pretty soon, but we HAVE to land Rhule if Franklin leaves.

Last edited:
Who, other than blog hacks looking for clicks, says he’s thinking about leaving?
Pay attention to what someone does, not what someone says. He’s busting his ass recruiting. Why would he be doing that if he’s planning to leave?
tho it would be nice from a fan's perspective if he would at least throw a little cold water on the rumors. even a simple "I'm flattered but my focus is on PSU" would go a long way.

we are not privy to the behind the scenes conversations with the AD, current players recruits and their families.

CJF seemed pretty animated after last weeks win in MD breaking the 3 game slide. high fiving fans etc

My thing is if he stays it needs to be made clear to him - you’re all in, or you’re out.
exactly. he expects the same from the recruits who commit and then want to take official visits to other schools. don't commit until you take all your visits allowed and then commit.

No he is here next year. I think he has to produce with Allar and shore up the O-Line or he will eventually be fired. When and how bad does it have to get, who knows.

You are spot on, his trademark at this point is losing key games and the inability of his teams to make clutch plays. Heck we can't even make a clutch play in OT to beat Illinois at home! It is sad because as a fan you now ask yourself how PSU will manage to lose yet another winnable game instead of expecting to win and I think that thought process and culture has crept into the program.

If Franklin finally does get fired say after 4 straight 4-5 loss seasons, starting next season (just throwing that out there as some kind of metric) then we ain't getting any superstar coach to come in. At that point we will effectively have become Minnesota.
Spot on correct.

Reactions: PSUfiji and bison13

No offense, but I wouldn't know where to start re your last two paragraphs.

Great recruiting classes mean little if you can’t Coach them.. two consecutive years.. we may very well lose to both Rutgers and Michigan State..

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji

I see it a little differently. I believe the outstanding problem to be a non-Big 10 offensive line. To me, every team that has beaten us has a superior offensive line. Without an offensive line, Saquon Barkley could not get yardage (just look at his performance with the Giants). The OL gives the QB time to set up and throw and for the backs to get yardage. We have not had an offensive allAmerican at OL for some time. And that is the fault of Franklin's recruiting priorities and the OL coach. With an OL I believe the only game that we would have lost was OSU, and maybe won. The rest is all crap. If we lose our top QB recruits it is because they know there is no OL.

When we were on Michigan's one yard line and kicked a field goal - that tells you that CJF and the offensive coach had no faith in the OL. Michigan would have run it in for the TD. Not getting a Big Ten line has killed us for the past five years, when we had a top notch defense that could have taken us to the college playoffs.
That is Franklin's failing - mediocre OL; all else doesn't matter.

Franklin could be a great coach but not here. He has way to many bad tendencies. He is a good not great recruiter. Roster and player management has generally been poor throughout his tenure. The team is not disciplines nor is it especially tough. His coaching hires leave a lot to be desired and most importantly, overall, he has demonstrated poor judgement.

Reactions: Callthestall
We need to go all in on Rhule. His ceiling is higher than Franklins. It will prob take 3-5 years, but we will be legit, and a playoff team pretty soon, but we HAVE to land land Rhule if Franklin leaves.
This is funny right here. A lot of fans in Carolina have already soured on Rhule.

Also, the lack of accountability for players performance on the field is just ridiculous. Caedan Wallace gets destroyed every game and we never rotate him out...never sub for a different RT for a couple series. Other teams do this from time to time. Brandon Smith, who has yet to make a game altering tackle or play in 3 seasons, just stays on the field. This friend mentality JF runs his program with is nice for hugs and love, but it hinders performance and accountability. There clearly is no pressure on any of these players who make weekly mistakes.

What is the PSU identity since CJF has arrived? There is none.

Other top teams in the big ten have an ID. O$U and UM are exactly what they say they are. Even M$U has an identity now after two years under MTucker. Wiscy, Iowa, Minnesota, NW. You know what they are.

We Are what after 8 yrs?

Reactions: Cosmos
Coach is checked out. You can see it in his expressions on the sidelines. The guy doesn’t know what to do when things get tough. That’s why every big game he goes to his bag of tricks to have a kicker throw to a kicker. Every big game he does something stupid like this. It’s not being aggressive for your team. It’s putting them in positions to lose.

Your missed 1968 should have been another National Title that year as well.

Coach is checked out. You can see it in his expressions on the sidelines. The guy doesn’t know what to do when things get tough. That’s why every big game he goes to his bag of tricks to have a kicker throw to a kicker. Every big game he does something stupid like this. It’s not being aggressive for your team. It’s putting them in positions to lose.
I love all these posts that coaches MUST have expressions. Tom Osbourne at Nebraska, Tom Landry with the Cowboys, Bear Bryant to name a few. You couldn't tell if they were up 30 or down 30 so put an end to that BS. In terms of coaches, when assistants who have busted their butt for you for years come to you and say they can get more money and be promoted what are you going to do, say no? There is a certain loyalty in the business too. While I'm sure not all will agree, its the nature of coaching, its a transient profession. Fix the offensive line and get some play makers.

I love all these posts that coaches MUST have expressions. Tom Osbourne at Nebraska, Tom Landry with the Cowboys, Bear Bryant to name a few. You couldn't tell if they were up 30 or down 30 so put an end to that BS. In terms of coaches, when assistants who have busted their butt for you for years come to you and say they can get more money and be promoted what are you going to do, say no? There is a certain loyalty in the business too. While I'm sure not all will agree, its the nature of coaching, its a transient profession. Fix the offensive line and get some play makers.
Really think Franklin is an exes and Os guy pondering the strategy? He doesn’t seem to have a problem showing emotion when things are going well though. That’s the difference.

Really think Franklin is an exes and Os guy pondering the strategy? He doesn’t seem to have a problem showing emotion when things are going well though. That’s the difference.
No, he isn't pondering strategy, he's probably wondering what you are thinking. Good God..... What do you want him to do rant and rave like a loonatic?

• Haha
two whole consecutive seasons? Ehrmahgerd. You’re all going to be a ton of fun if the next guy turns us into Nebraska or Texas.

My God, did you see what happened to Texas yesterday? Speaking of once elite programs that have spent years and years...and gone through coaches and coaches...trying to recapture the glory.

Moral of the story: it could always be worse. Cold consolation the morning after again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the 4th quarter.

No, he isn't pondering strategy, he's probably wondering what you are thinking. Good God..... What do you want him to do rant and rave like a loonatic?
This idea that criticizing a coach means you think you should be the coach is laughable. So do you agree he seems engaged when it’s going good?

My God, did you see what happened to Texas yesterday? Speaking of once elite programs that have spent years and years...and gone through coaches and coaches...trying to recapture the glory.

Moral of the story: it could always be worse. Cold consolation the morning after again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the 4th quarter.

One look at FSU and Texas should at least make people realize that yes, things could be worse. Maybe Franklin isn't the answer but be very careful what you wish for.

Jerry, you're just an excellent poster. Logical, rational, honest.

I feel pretty much the same as you do - I know Franklin has many flaws, and certainly is no Joe Paterno, but I know that the question is: "OK, but are you sure the next guy will be better".

Other posters in this thread have commented that we "might be the next Texas or Nebraska" without Franklin, if the next hire isn't good.

I would stick with Franklin, flaws and all, IF he would JUST GO ALL IN on the program and university and restoring the Paterno way.

1. Stop the stupid rumors, "I'm leaving when they fire me or I pass away, and not before".
2. Don't hire an assistant who doesn't pledge to be here for 7 years - this isn't a stepping stone.
3. Don't hire an assistant you're not willing to keep for at least 7 years unless something unethical happens.
4. Be enthused about the program and show it.

Really, there has been a lot of good, and I can take losing like yesterday. What I don't like is being second tier without the good stuff.

This idea that criticizing a coach means you think you should be the coach is laughable. So do you agree he seems engaged when it’s going good?
Here is what I think. I don't see him any different on the sidelines than when he first started. Same as when we won the big ten. Yes, I do believe he is engaged. I will admit that in the COVID year, when his family was away from him some validity existed. I just think we go way overboard when we lose, which is natural on message boards I get it. Here is a question...Was he not engaged prior to the Iowa game when we were undefeated? I'd like to see how many "unengaged" posts there were then.......Just my opinion.

Reactions: MaconNitt

And why are you sure Franklin wants out? Because of media rumors and the fire Franklin comments from knuckleheads on message boards?

The stares of those first three guys you mentioned were cool, confident, you-only-think-you-have-a-chance-but-the-ceiling-is-about-to-fall-in-on-your-ass stares.

James's stare is an oh-my-God-not-again-when-does-the-plane-take-off-for-the-West-Coast stare.

You have to get your stares straight... ;)

The stares of those first three guys you mentioned were cool, confident, you-only-think-you-have-a-chance-but-the-ceiling-is-about-to-fall-in-on-your-ass stares.

James's stare is an oh-my-God-not-again-when-does-the-plane-take-off-for-the-West-Coast stare.

You have to get your stares straight... ;)
I like your style Jerry!!!

Jerry, you're just an excellent poster. Logical, rational, honest.

I feel pretty much the same as you do - I know Franklin has many flaws, and certainly is no Joe Paterno, but I know that the question is: "OK, but are you sure the next guy will be better".

Other posters in this thread have commented that we "might be the next Texas or Nebraska" without Franklin, if the next hire isn't good.

I would stick with Franklin, flaws and all, IF he would JUST GO ALL IN on the program and university and restoring the Paterno way.

1. Stop the stupid rumors, "I'm leaving when they fire me or I pass away, and not before".
2. Don't hire an assistant who doesn't pledge to be here for 7 years - this isn't a stepping stone.
3. Don't hire an assistant you're not willing to keep for at least 7 years unless something unethical happens.
4. Be enthused about the program and show it.

Really, there has been a lot of good, and I can take losing like yesterday. What I don't like is being second tier without the good stuff.
Comments:
1. Didn’t start the rumors; has handled them the same in past years.
2. This is 2021 not 1969
3 So it’s okay to fire the head coach but must hang on to lousy assistant coaches for 7 years
4. You’re kidding right? Check out Franklin after Maryland win. I mean really.

Time For Matt Ruhle to take over!!

Also, the lack of accountability for players performance on the field is just ridiculous. Caedan Wallace gets destroyed every game and we never rotate him out...never sub for a different RT for a couple series. Other teams do this from time to time. Brandon Smith, who has yet to make a game altering tackle or play in 3 seasons, just stays on the field. This friend mentality JF runs his program with is nice for hugs and love, but it hinders performance and accountability. There clearly is no pressure on any of these players who make weekly mistakes.
Smith has been not only a disappointment but on numerous plays I have witnessed lazy on backside pursuit and downfield effort.
Players need to know their position is not guaranteed. Maybe depth is a problem and that is on the coach.

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV

ESPN crawler: "PSU's 9th consecutive loss to an AP Top Ten team under Franklin."

He's not going anywhere voluntarily. He'll need to be fired. The question is, does Sandy have the guts to do it. Consider both the microeconomics and the macroeconomics of the decision. We need to because time is of the essence.

Microeconomics- buying him out sooner rather than later saves money. It leaves enough money on-the-table to buy a decent coach with a complementary staff. It puts us on the 'road to recovery' while it's still affordable. For a good analogy, say you're in-the-market for a new car. It's best buy now while it's still relatively cheap. For example, the price of Tesla's model Y has increased 21% YoY. Buy now!

Macroeconomics- it's no secret peoples' discretionary income is declining due to inflation. So fans are less willing accept mediocrity. Not saying State College becomes a ghost town on Saturday but if PSU continues the downward slide then the game day experience loses not only the crowd but nostalgia. Fast forward a decade and we'll go the way of University of Chicago. So that the football program is at an inflection point, and as goes the football program so goes all sports. We are not alone in this regard.

So at what point does Sandy pull the plug. My guess is if CJF loses out this season and starts out next season poorly then he won't finish it out. That's what needs to be done if we're to save the football program. Let's see if it happens.

Lastly, let's not sleep on Rutgers. They're no pushover and we are their Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT