ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin vs. Harbaugh

When I see schools like Illinois blow huge holes by the OL for their running backs I scratch my head and wonder why we can’t do the same - they have better O lineman?
Big time..,
Ag
Agree about Joe particularly in the later years. Remember Spanier and Curly calling at Joe's house to have him retire.
Also sanctions hurt Franklin a lot more than the first two years. His ability to recruit top athletes into the program.
Three stars were big time.
Joe’s last years where he had lost his fastball…vs when Franklin should be in his prime…and I never say thru an embarrassment like I did last week at any point of Paterno’s tenure.

I think Michigan fans may have higher standards than Penn State fans. They expect Big Ten championships and to beat Ohio State, which has not happened under Harbaugh.

In my opinion, our losses to Iowa and Illinois were just not acceptable, and these types of losses seem to be the norm with Franklin. I also don’t believe Franklin should be negotiating a raise to stay at Penn State. When does it get to the point that Franklin should be fired? If we are content with 3-4 losses per year, then he won’t be fired. Do we deserve better than 3-4 losses per year? The 2021 season is slipping away, which would be 2 consecutive mediocre seasons.
Where have you read that Franklin is negotiating a raise in pay?

Bowl Record
Harbaugh (1-4, 0-2 New Years 6)
Franklin (3-3, 2-1 New Years 6)

2-3 years? WTF....so they aren't even at PSU???? Wow...that really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Different body type? What the hell does that mean. Gimme the body types that Wisky gets...they are all over the place.
From Franklin's comments Tangell will likely be playing next year, so there is that and who knows what the transfer portal holds, but with a relatively new OL coach and OC, why would expect it to be earlier?

Listened to T Frank after the game and he said Trautwein is recruiting a different body type than previously. He also said that the players matching that body type are still in high school and won't contribute for another 2-3 years.
LOL, then Franklin can start looking for another OL coach and Taut can update his resume cause no one is waiting for 2-3 more years to possibly contribute.

Illinois had 7 offensive lineman in the game . The problem was PSU stayed in their base defense . That was bad coaching
Maybe but we gave up 10 points. If you want to point to bad coaching on the offensive side of that game, fine. But if we score a few points, our offense can force them to start to throw the ball.

Franklin has a 68% win record in the BIG- including his first two years at 7-6 when sanctions were still hurting the program. Joe had a 70% win record in the B1G. Take out the first two years and CJF has a significantly better win percentage in the B1G than Joe did. If you don't believe me- go look it up like I did.

I loved Joe, but the truth is the truth- too many people here think our history is a lot better than it really is.
Joe lost his mojo in the latter years. Putting his son and Galen in charge of offense was evidence of that. Love the man and sat around the 40 yard line for the 1986 Nat Champ game. But he shoulda retired maybe 5-6 years before the BoT threw him under the bus.

Reactions: MacNit07
Saban's 1-1 against OSU. Won last year and lost to OSU in the 2014-2015 playoffs. He won last year with - maybe, along with 2001 Miami - many consider the best CF team this century. The one coach _ I believe - that might have OSU's number - and a winning record - is "praise the lord" Dabo Swinney, Well, until last year when he got curb stomped by OSU in the playoffs
Hope u enjoy maybe this year and maybe next year but osu will be like Clemson eventually no urban anymore and day will find out that the nfl will come calling to get him out of the mess he’ll make at osu

Hope u enjoy maybe this year and maybe next year but osu will be like Clemson eventually no urban anymore and day will find out that the nfl will come calling to get him out of the mess he’ll make at osu
Hate to break it to you, but OSU has only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s - 1989 and 2011 (when they were 6-7). That's under multiple coaches. Will they continue their current run ? No. But they are no Clemson who's had spurts here and there

I think CJF should stay. I want to him to stay. Because I don't think you will find anyone better who will give you what you want. For everyone who wants him to leave, none of you can guarantee the next guy will have a better record or beat OSU regularly as you all seem to think will happen. Because it simply hasn't happened.

Looking at the records of the other programs against OSU since CJF got here, MSU has 1 win, Michigan has 0, Maryland has 0, Rutgers has 0, Indiana has 0. On the other side, Wisconsin has 0, Minnesota has 0, Iowa has 1, Northwestern has 0, Purdue has 1, Nebraska has 0, Illinois has 0. So, realistically, PSU has done as well as anyone against OSU. And, without delving deep into the history of each matchup, I would venture to guess PSU, since CJF has gotten here, has played OSU tougher than most other BIG programs.

I mentioned in another post that since CJF's arrival in 2014, OSU is one of the Big 5 in CFB, along with Bama, Georgia, Clemson and Oklahoma. It's just really aggravating that one of the Big 5 is right in PSU's backyard.

I would agree with anyone who says that CJF has lost a game (or two) each year that he should not. THAT is certainly the maddening aspect of his tenure so far. When OSU loses (which is rare) they don't lose again in the regular season. I would also agree with anyone who says that CJF sometimes makes bad coaching decisions during a game. Almost every coach does, or will.

So, unless one of you guys who wants him to leave can guarantee the next guy will be able to do better than CJF, and that every coaching decisions he makes will be perfect and every game he coaches will be a cakewalk, I really don't see what you see in getting a new guy on the sideline.

Hate to break it to you, but OSU has only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s - 1989 and 2011 (when they were 6-7). That's under multiple coaches. Will they continue their current run ? No. But they are no Clemson who's had spurts here and there
Of course, much of that time was playing a cushy BIg10 schedule (Big10 was annual laughing stock when I grew up)…that said, conference is better now and O$U is the cream of the crop by a wide margin.

Of course, much of that time was playing a cushy BIg10 schedule (Big10 was annual laughing stock when I grew up)…that said, conference is better now and O$U is the cream of the crop by a wide margin.
My response was to the person who made the OSU to Clemson comparison. I absolutely don't like phony Dabo - along with a ton of others - but have to admit that as long as he's there they'll be in the thick of things. This year was just an off year - have to believe they'll be back in a year or two. But what happens when he leaves ? Clemson is not the blue blood like Alabama, OSU and yes, Michigan and PSU. We'll see.

Let me say first off that while I am critical of CJF, I am not ready to call for a change at HC. But many people at Michigan are calling for Harbaugh to step down. If you compare the two coaches here are the numbers. Winning pct. Franklin .677, Harbaugh. 708. Record vs. Ohio State and Michigan State, Franklin 4-11, Harbaugh 3-11. Franklin does have a BIG championship. Head to head,, 3-3. Very similar.
Maybe Franklin should take a pay cut like Hairball did.

I think people holding out hope that Ryan Day goes the way of Larry Coker are going to be bitterly disappointed. Day is the real deal.

I do think the NFL will tempt him. He's an elite offensive play designer, and I can imagine the NFL would be attractive to a guy like that.

If that happens, they'd have guys like Luke Fickell on speed dial as a worst-case scenario. I don't see their status as among the elites changing anytime soon, although this current run they're on will end at some point.

And PSU played a tough schedule?? We had to go out and start playing ND , Bama because our schedule was so soft.

And PSU played a tough schedule?? We had to go out and start playing ND , Bama because our schedule was so soft.
If you go back to the last century - even back to the 1960s - no school dominated CF like the handful that are doing it today - especially Alabama. I really think they're setting a standard that won't be matched anytime soon and I also think Saban is now the greatest CF coach of all time. You had about 8 to 10 bluebloods - along with FSU and Miami - that had some success last century but nothing really sustained like today. I'm really hoping that they go to an 8 or 12-team playoff to see a few more teams get a shot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT