ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin says it's 1 particular school that is negative recruiting

You're more than a month late to the party pitter. You also have some problems reading.
This is the specific quote where Franklin says it is the programs he mentioned. I assume PSU requires basic reading comprehension for admissions.

Q: How would you describe the challenge of being in the same division with Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State?

A: Like most things in life, there are some real positives about it. We're able to tell kids they're going to compete against the very highest level week in and week out. What makes it tricky, they're not having to deal with some of the things we're dealing with and working through, which magnifies it. Those programs as well as others know that and use that against us. We have that conversation with every single prospect. We don't usually initiate it, but it's coming from somewhere.

You guys better go read the June 26 edition of the Reading Eagle newspaper (link below) Franklin is quoted as identifying ND,OSU and MSU as the culprits. Once he has to face Meyer and D'Antonio he immediately backtracks. Trust me that is not a good look. Myers smug response--I met Franklin and he denied making the accusation--says it all! Eventually you guys will catch on to Franklin's act--there is always some boogey man out to get him.

http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/...sm-for-penn-state-football&template=mobileart

Go shit you Pitt fool.

My guess is actually ND. Pitt really isn't a recruiting threat at all. Only a handful of WPIAL kids really. Penn St recruits 4 and 5 stars and fills the class out with 3 stars. Pitt doesn't seriously get involved with any of the kids we get. Only WPIAL stuff. ND on the other hand came into the WPIAL and went crazy this year. Coincidence? Maybe.

Hey rutgersdave, saw you on the Pitt board posting about Penn State using negative recruiting as an excuse.

That's funny coming from a rutgers guy, whose fans are ALWAYS making excuses. Here are some of the usual ones:

1. The best NJ recruits don't stay at home (it's because rutgers is located in the armpit of America)
2. Local media don't say nice things about rutgers (there's not much nice to say)
3 The state doesn't financially support rutgers (throwing money down the toilet)
4. The B1G doesn't give rutgers enough financial support (see 3 above)
This negative recruiting is just an excuse. Some of your own fans see it. First it was Hackenberg, then it was the offensive line, then it was the offensive and defensive coordinator and now it's negative recruiting. The next two years won't give him any more excuses. However, you will accept 7-8 wins the next few years. The goal is lower every year.

This negative recruiting is just an excuse. Some of your own fans see it. First it was Hackenberg, then it was the offensive line, then it was the offensive and defensive coordinator and now it's negative recruiting. The next two years won't give him any more excuses. However, you will accept 7-8 wins the next few years. The goal is lower every year.

Go wipe yourself.

Go wipe yourself.
Don't be mad at Dave. It's your coach making the accusations. And then when it becomes a story, he backtracks. Now he says it is one school specifically...but he won't name them? Yet, we have an article, I have posted above, where he clearly states it is Michigan, OSU, Michigan State as well as others. The guy is either a pathological liar or an excuse maker. I'll let you decide which! However, there is no denying he accused these schools and later backtracked.

rutgers fans are already making all sorts of excuses for Ash. You'll be blaming Flood's coaching and recruiting for the next 5 years.

Any objective poster told rutgers fans their recruiting was horrible the past few years but they would make excuses like the recruits were diamonds in the rough, under the radar, or the HC has a good eye for talent. Flood gets terminated and now everyone admits recruiting was a dumpster fire.

Now here comes Ash and he is mostly bringing in the same type of recruits with offers from Monmouth, Stony Brook, or no other offers and somehow he is going to be the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi.

Wait a few years when Ash leaves and you can then blame the next 5 years on him.

rutgers fans are already making all sorts of excuses for Ash. You'll be blaming Flood's coaching and recruiting for the next 5 years.

Any objective poster told rutgers fans their recruiting was horrible the past few years but they would make excuses like the recruits were diamonds in the rough, under the radar, or the HC has a good eye for talent. Flood gets terminated and now everyone admits recruiting was a dumpster fire.

Now here comes Ash and he is mostly bringing in the same type of recruits with offers from Monmouth, Stony Brook, or no other offers and somehow he is going to be the reincarnation of Vince Lombardi.

Wait a few years when Ash leaves and you can then blame the next 5 years on him.
No, we'll give Ash two years because of Flood terrible recruiting. After that, we expect results. Penn State fans expected the same but just pushed it back to 5 years.

I was telling the board that Flood was a terrible recruiter after his first year but some tried to defend him. I even though Flood employees were on the board defending him. You haven't noticed the recruits we been getting but you have to notice you only have 1 NJ recruit.

Last edited:
No, we'll give Ash two years because of Flood terrible recruiting. After that, we expect results. Penn State fans expected the same but just pushed it back to 5 years.

2 years?? Brace yourself for HUGE disappointment.

"All I said was that every kid that we're recruiting is also being recruited by Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Notre Dame and that they don't have the same challenges that we have now," Franklin said. "Then, in a separate quote, I mentioned that right now we're (dealing) with negative recruiting. It was two separate quotes, though, over a 35-minute interview.

"I never said that any of those schools are the ones doing the negative recruiting against us. They're not. There is one other particular school, but I didn't name who that was."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...up-among-coaches-at-big-ten-media-days-072616

Notre Dame folks!!!!

"All I said was that every kid that we're recruiting is also being recruited by Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Notre Dame and that they don't have the same challenges that we have now," Franklin said. "Then, in a separate quote, I mentioned that right now we're (dealing) with negative recruiting. It was two separate quotes, though, over a 35-minute interview.

"I never said that any of those schools are the ones doing the negative recruiting against us. They're not. There is one other particular school, but I didn't name who that was."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...up-among-coaches-at-big-ten-media-days-072616

Slippery Rock!! Damn them!!!!

Our 'flips' last year were to ND, Michigan, Temple, and Pitt. My guess is Pitt is the culprit, because they were/are desperate (Temple's flip was a fluke IMO). They were in Sanders' ear until the link on his LOI was dry....

Flips were also caused by 4 straight losses to end the season, 1 of which was thrown away and should have been won easily(NW).

Woj is a fat pig who knows as much about sports as my 2 year old. He rants like 99% of the Detroit sports radio media about how disgusting Joe is etc. There are a few that do this for that negative recruiting thing, as they want their beloved Michigan and Michigan St to get the recruits PSU is after. PSU does have a presence in Detroit and guys like Rico Beard (his radio show since has been cancelled) make it their platform to still run segments every time there is news on Sandusky etc. I know exactly why.

Reactions: jubaaltman
Michigan State does negative recruit against us. That is a FACT. D'Antonio is lying scum. I know kids who played at same school I went to, which constantly spins out BIG recruits like Allen Robinson and this year KJ Hamler (though he transferred to IMG) and the Ross brothers who have said Spartan coaches do it and have been since Sandusky scandal hit.

If you remember Dantonio was also one of the coaches who started offering guys PSU had targeted and had a great chance with like Bradshaw from Virginia as soon as Freeh and Emmert opened their mouths.

No team to me has benefitted more from our sanctions then Michigan State. They have gotten kids from Pa and Ohio the last few years and have really taken our place in the B1G pecking order of relevant teams. Its on us to end that game and win some games this year and kick their Spartacass last game of the year for the embarrassment the last two years.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ND and Michigan State have been bashing us none stop. Don't kid yourself Pitt, Buckeyes and Michigan aren't doing us any favors also.

Flips were also caused by 4 straight losses to end the season, 1 of which was thrown away and should have been won easily(NW).

I understand the feeling that PSU could have defeated Northwestern last year, but I do not understand why some feel that Coach Franklin "blew" the win. NW defeated ranked teams in Stanford and Wisconsin, as well as Nebraska in Lincoln ... all tough games. Our game came down really to 1 young player not making a play (the drop by Haley on an easy interception).

Many times even PSU's best teams needed that single play like to beat inferior opponents.

In 1986, had Duffy Cobbs whiffed on batting down a Maryland pass on a 2-point conversion, the Terps end up tying us at 17. No shot at Miami with such a tie. Then against ND, I can't recall the defender, but he just barely tips a pass to the ND TE in the end zone that would have cost the Lions an undefeated season.

These are but 2 examples that show that sometimes, no matter how much better 1 team might be than the other, the game comes down to great players having to make great plays to win a game no matter how great the coach. Bob White's late sack of the ND QB, Tim Johnson's late sack of Vinnie T, Shane Conlan's (huge interception and return to set up ...), DJ Dozier's TD run to beat Miami -- all of these singular plays among the many during a game meant allowed PSU to earn the NC.

Joe Paterno didn't make the plays and he didn't "not" make them any more than James Franklin didn't "not" make the play to seal the win over NW. And to argue that PSU had more talent than NW and therefore shouldn't have needed a final interception to beat the Cats is absurd. The 1986 team was certainly superior in talent to Maryland, and clearly better than Cincinnati. Yet, it took Blair Thomas and Shane Conlan to make great plays vs the Bearcats in the clutch to prevent that upset.

I just get tired of the constant criticism of Coach Franklin for losing to NW, a 10-3 team that made plays when it had to against us. Coach Franklin isn't the greatest coach in the country, but he is very good and has proven that over his 5 years at Vandy and PSU. I like him and still believe he is the right man for the job at Penn State.

NW was actually, of all the close losses, probably the least on Franklin.

Donovan played a huge hand in it but yes opportunities were there by players to make plays.

After having all the momentum though and running the ball down the NW defense throat the play calling late in the game in NW territory to seal the deal was disgusting. 3 straight pass plays one of which was intercepted. Donovan would have been fired on the spot for me.

I can't bieve I'm agreeing with a Rutgers fan.......but I wish coaches would name these teams too. Why cover for them? Call them out. That goes for the players who talk about certain schools that offer them money on the recruiting trail too. Name the schools.

It is Pitt. When they flipped Givens the staff tweeted when negative recruiting goes bad.

:)

This may indeed be an issue recruiting kids the further you get away from Penn State. Fewer kids have parents/family who have Penn State ties, or long time thoughts and aspirations from watching Penn State. They only have what the media has fed them to go on.

Just the opposite. The out of state kids do not have to watch JP and Sandusky in the news EVERY week. Most of the flips last year were in state kids and a PSU legacy.

I think that it's either Maryland or Rutgers...and everything about Rutgers lately has been negative. So I am leaning in that direction. I think they're still butt hurt that SaSa flipped over to us, and they aren't going to let that go any time soon.

No. It is pitt. When PSU flipped Givens the staff tweeted "When negative recruiting goes bad."

Which school has all anti PSU posts on their boards EVERYday?

Actually, I think it is all of them. He just does not want to name them. Remember the "recruiters" are assistants NOT the head coach who "stays clean". I imagine much of the "negative" stuff is told to recruits and their families "off the record".

Now why on earth would Pitt need to lower themselves to use negative recruiting tactics? After all, they sell out every home game, they win the ACC every year, a stable coaching history, they have unmatched success of 37 National Championships and their campus on Oakland can't be matched in CFB. C'mon people, it can't possibly be our friends to the west! ;)
Not to mention that they have the top undergraduate business school in the world ...er, nation ... I mean, state ... uh, city ... um, on their street ... well, you know what they mean.

A Rutgers fan talking smack. This is adorable, guys.

Rutgers has been playing football continuously since 1869. You have exactly 8 seasons with above 8 victories. You have exactly TWO seasons with double digit victories. TWO.

STFU.

A Rutgers fan talking smack. This is adorable, guys.

Rutgers has been playing football continuously since 1869. You have exactly 8 seasons with above 8 victories. You have exactly TWO seasons with double digit victories. TWO.

STFU.

rutgers negative recruits itself.

It happens whenever one of their coaches meets a prospect and says "Hi, I'm from rutgers."

It is the school that seems to be on the same kids that we are, when they narrow it down to 4 or 5....Michigan State. Damn right it's D'Antonio: He has never had any class to begin with, anyone recall 2008 at Beaver Stadium? And now...now Harbaugh is spanking him and he absolutely needs to get what is left over, and what is left over, is often down to the same 3 or 4.

It's Michigan State and D'Antonio.
so Coach Franclun says it MSU? LOL.

If Its Pitt its not working very well. Except for maybe last January. My guess is its MSU who is more than likely desperate to stay on top. They aren't exactly bringing in the talent OSU or Michigan is right now.
Michigan and OSU have brought in "talent" forever. MSU is recruiting exactly the way it has during the entire Dantonio tenure. Recruit the kids they think best fit their style of play, star ratings be damned. Anyone who thinks MSU is going away soon is just delusional.

You guys better go read the June 26 edition of the Reading Eagle newspaper (link below) Franklin is quoted as identifying ND,OSU and MSU as the culprits. Once he has to face Meyer and D'Antonio he immediately backtracks. Trust me that is not a good look. Myers smug response--I met Franklin and he denied making the accusation--says it all! Eventually you guys will catch on to Franklin's act--there is always some boogey man out to get him.

http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/...sm-for-penn-state-football&template=mobileart
I clicked on your link and read the article. Franklin absolutely does not identify MSU, OSU and ND as being the negative recruiters. He merely refers to them as competitors who do not face those same challenges.
Now the question becomes whether you are just flat out lying or have reading comprehension issues.

Reactions: kgilbert78

28-3 loser.

Michigan and OSU have brought in "talent" forever. MSU is recruiting exactly the way it has during the entire Dantonio tenure. Recruit the kids they think best fit their style of play, star ratings be damned. Anyone who thinks MSU is going away soon is just delusional.

You are going back to being Michigan's little brother.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT