ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin on panel at the AFCA convention

Thanks for the link! Good stuff.

Here's an interesting comment from Franklin about our offensive coordinator:

How do you weigh the opportunity to be an FBS position coach against being a lower-division coordinator?
Franklin: There is value on staff in guys that don’t want to be head coaches. One of the reasons we hired our d-line coach at Vanderbilt is because he said, ‘I don’t want to be a head coach, I don’t want to be a coordinator, I want to be the best d-line coach in the country.’ My offensive coordinator doesn’t want to be a head coach. He told me, ‘I see you being pulled out of your office 40 percent of the day dealing with drama. I just want to coach ball.’

Thanks for the link! Good stuff.

Here's an interesting comment from Franklin about our offensive coordinator:

How do you weigh the opportunity to be an FBS position coach against being a lower-division coordinator?
Franklin: There is value on staff in guys that don’t want to be head coaches. One of the reasons we hired our d-line coach at Vanderbilt is because he said, ‘I don’t want to be a head coach, I don’t want to be a coordinator, I want to be the best d-line coach in the country.’ My offensive coordinator doesn’t want to be a head coach. He told me, ‘I see you being pulled out of your office 40 percent of the day dealing with drama. I just want to coach ball.’

I’m sure thats their intent. Until they waive 5 million bucks in front of you.

Thanks for the link, Evan. Good reading.
I just wish Coach Franklin or any of the other coaches would accept the invitation to speak at the Ohio HS FB Coaches' Clinic in Columbass. Held the Friday and Saturday following LOI day.
Great to meet and greet with a lot of recruit's HCs.
And, selfishly, gives me the opportunity to hear him speak 3 hours away. :cool:

OL

All of his answers reaffirm what a great fit James Franklin is at Penn State. Thanks for sharing.

What’s the best way to instill discipline in your players as a new assistant coach?

Franklin: I want high production and low maintenance. I know how many infractions each room had, how many the quarterbacks had and how many the d-line had. That’s part of how I evaluate. Guys that are getting raises are the ones that had high production and the lowest amounts of missed classes. I want to empower our guys to be the head coach of their room.

Love that he says recruiting isn't work to him. That's one of the reasons he's great at bringing in top talent. Not everyone likes that aspect of the job (like his predecessor apparently).

It would be an insult to say James Franklin was a home run for PSU. The guy is a grand slam in every way (coaching, recruiting, motivating and a PR genius). Trust me, he wants a chance at that National Championship game and I mean sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT