ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin must go

And maybe you are a clown. Yeah I will definitely go with that. I think PSU should fire Franklin and hire Lincoln Riley, Matt Rhule, Greg Schiano, Luke Fikell or several of the other favorites of the haters because well you know they are doing so damn well in their current coaching positions.
Riley was called a top five coach on here not long ago and now he’s 7-4 with last year’s Heisman winner.

Reactions: dailybuck777
You are correct; all coaches make bad in game coaching decisions. And while I am a Franklin defender, you could argue about whether going for 2 was a bad decision (although I said as soon as he held up 2 fingers to kick the PAT), going for it on 4th and 6 from your own 30 with four and a half minutes left in a one score game was inexcusable.
No doubt he had some dumb calls yesterday for sure, but I still think even if he had made what we feel is the right call in every one of those situations, we still lose. We got out played, plain and simple. As Joel Klatt said during the broadcast, you’re not going to beat a top three team without a top notch wide receiver and we don’t have one of those.

No doubt he had some dumb calls yesterday for sure, but I still think even if he had made what we feel is the right call in every one of those situations, we still lose. We got out played, plain and simple. As Joel Klatt said during the broadcast, you’re not going to beat a top three team without a top notch wide receiver and we don’t have one of those.
I still believe this team is getting better. I don't feel quite so concerned about losing games we should win like in years past. I'm not saying it will never happen, but I sure feel more confident. That to me is at least progress. Upsets happen, but it's not like they happen ALL of the time in college football.

We all want to see PSU turn into a National Champion juggernaut. The passion runs as deep here as any other contender.

Neither does Michigan. Granted they haven't played a top 3 team yet, but they're still ranking in the top 3. I don't think anyone is saying that Lions would've won if he had made different calls, but those game decisions did not put the Lions in the best possible position to win.

Or maybe Yurcich is setting his career back 10 years. Nah it couldn’t be that; must be Franklin. Franklin made several bone headed in game decisions—going for two after the first TD and going for it on 4th and 6 from your own 30 with four and a half minutes to go. But you have no idea how much Franklin is involved in the play calling.
Franklin doesn't call plays.

Penn State fans demanding James Franklin be let go reminds me of Pitt fans wanting Jamie Dixon to leave.

It’s no guarantee that Franklin’s successor will be able to get over the hump. I think PSU should stay the course for two reasons: you aren’t going to face OSU/UM every year and the CFP will expand to 12 teams next year.

Penn State fans demanding James Franklin be let go reminds me of Pitt fans wanting Jamie Dixon to leave.

It’s no guarantee that Franklin’s successor will be able to get over the hump. I think PSU should stay the course for two reasons: you aren’t going to face OSU/UM every year and the CFP will expand to 12 teams next year.
maybe a good comparison

it is a high risk move and i don't know why people have faith that psu would hit a home run on the replacement. i think there is a very high chance they would screw it up

They ran in 14 of the first 14 first downs. Zero first down passes.

Sorry. That's pathetic.
If I heard the term “staying on schedule” one more time yesterday I was going to puke. Staying out of 3rd and long is great if you can consistently convert 3rd and short. And to think you are going to convert 5 or 6 times on one drive is ridiculous.

Reactions: ram2020
I would have like to have watched the game in which we simply got outplayed though.

Welcome to Penn State Football!!!

James Franklin Capped Off A Coaching Disasterclass With A Certifiably Insane 2-Point Conversion Attempt With The Game On The Line​

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...-conversion-attempt-with-the-game-on-the-line

James Franklin ... holy hell, dude. This two-point attempt was the cherry on top, but Franklin put one of the worst coaching performances you'll ever see on display from start to finish against Michigan.

Franklin kicked a field goal from the Michigan 3-yard line with a chance to score the game's first touchdown. He cowered on 4th and 1 in the second quarter and punted to the Wolverines, allowing them to take a 14-3 lead. And then after the Nittany Lions somehow dragged their asses into the end zone with at least a remote chance to get the ball back down one possession at the end of the game, Franklin pulled out this brilliant two-point play he's clearly been saving for a huge spot.

I don't recall one time in the entire game when Franklin made a decision that made me think it gave Penn State a better chance to win. Even just the act of going for two on the final touchdown was the wrong call given the circumstances. I understand — and usually subscribe to — the argument that you go for two on the first touchdown when you need two scores so you can adjust your strategy if you don't get it, but with the way Penn State had played all game, having an opportunity to get the ball back down one possession was worth infinitely more than potentially being down seven instead of eight. At every turn, Franklin seemed like he was trying to sabotage his own team.
I wasn't a fan of going for 2 at the end of the 1st half. I wasn't a fan of going for 2 down 9 late in the game.

However, Riley did the exact same thing in the USC/Oregon game in the exact same situation. USC just scored a TD with little time left late in the game to bring the deficit to 9. He decided to go for 2. They also failed to convert.

So what that means depends on your perspective. Did 2 coaches make the exact same "certifiably insane" decision? Or is there some logic to it, but it just didn't work out?

I wasn't a fan of going for 2 at the end of the 1st half. I wasn't a fan of going for 2 down 9 late in the game.

However, Riley did the exact same thing in the USC/Oregon game in the exact same situation. USC just scored a TD with little time left late in the game to bring the deficit to 9. He decided to go for 2. They also failed to convert.

So what that means depends on your perspective. Did 2 coaches make the exact same "certifiably insane" decision? Or is there some logic to it, but it just didn't work out?

Classic case of looking like a genius if it worked, and a fool if it didn't. And it didn't work twice.

Neither does Michigan. Granted they haven't played a top 3 team yet, but they're still ranking in the top 3. I don't think anyone is saying that Lions would've won if he had made different calls, but those game decisions did not put the Lions in the best possible position to win.
Have you read this board? That’s what everyone is saying. Posters are still whining about the first time they went for two as if that lost us the game.

You are correct; all coaches make bad in game coaching decisions. And while I am a Franklin defender, you could argue about whether going for 2 was a bad decision (although I said as soon as he held up 2 fingers to kick the PAT), going for it on 4th and 6 from your own 30 with four and a half minutes left in a one score game was inexcusable.
How could you possibly argue about going for two in that moment? Even JF’s defense post game made zero sense. There was no justification. If “points were going to come at a premium” then logic dictates you take the surest possible outcome. Now if he meant to say “the opportunity to score points would come at a premium” he would have made himself sound better but the decision was less than ideal if not outright stupid.

Have you read this board? That’s what everyone is saying. Posters are still whining about the first time they went for two as if that lost us the game.

Unless there is a time machine, it very well may have lost the game.

There is zero logic to it. They both outsmarted themselves in the moment. Only a fool would argue there was logic to both those decisions. The problem is horrible decision making is becoming more of a norm so fans are desensitized to it causing fans to actually believe there is logic to it. Tell a lie loud enough for long enough and eventually people believe it. It’s still a lie whether you believe it or not.

Reactions: psu00
There is a zero percent chance James Franklin is fired now or next year. You don't pay a guy 60 million not to work when he is winning 10 games a season.

Penn State should have not offered him the extension two years ago.

Reactions: SR108
I've been a Franklin defender, but I'm not happy with him right now. It really ought to be a firing offense. There's mere incompetence and there's gross negligence. Gross negligence is misconduct and can justify a firing for cause. Besides going for 2 on your own 30 with 4 minutes left, going for 2 when you are down 9 with a chance to get maybe one more possession is incredibly stupid no matter what analytics says if that's what he wants to hide behind. If you don't make it you are done unless you can recover not 1 but 2 on-side kicks. What does analytics tell us about that possibility?
His buyout means it’s not so it is what it is.
No. In reading about Fisher - 25 percent was due in 30 days, the rest is paid annually, like $7 mill. My assumption is that James's payout would not be due at once, but then we are talking Sandy. If it's $7 million per year and we're getting around $80 to $100 mm per year from the TV deal alone, then that should be seen as a cost of doing business.

If we could get rid of Franklin (we can't) I would suggest seriously considering Drinkwitz from Missouri.

There is a zero percent chance James Franklin is fired now or next year. You don't pay a guy 60 million not to work when he is winning 10 games a season.

It wasn't offered. It was demanded. The idiot AD at the time acquiesced.

realistically, it is five or six more years before they can even think about a change. so changing coordinators is the only lever that can be pulled right now

Paterno was 2and 9 vs Michigan. I don't want to see him be fired, I would like him to stop taking chances on 4th down on our side of the field, and acknowledge the 2 point try in the first half was stupid.

There is zero logic to it. They both outsmarted themselves in the moment. Only a fool would argue there was logic to both those decisions. The problem is horrible decision making is becoming more of a norm so fans are desensitized to it causing fans to actually believe there is logic to it. Tell a lie loud enough for long enough and eventually people believe it. It’s still a lie whether you believe it or not.
You’re just being silly. Of course there’s logic to it. You have to score 2 TDs and you have to go for 2, and be successful, at least once. There’s technically no reason to wait for the second TD to go for 2. Might as well get it over with and get the 2 early, so you know you have it and can proceed accordingly. That's the logic. It's math.

I've been a Franklin defender, but I'm not happy with him right now. It really ought to be a firing offense. There's mere incompetence and there's gross negligence. Gross negligence is misconduct and can justify a firing for cause. Besides going for 2 on your own 30 with 4 minutes left, going for 2 when you are down 9 with a chance to get maybe one more possession is incredibly stupid no matter what analytics says if that's what he wants to hide behind. If you don't make it you are done unless you can recover not 1 but 2 on-side kicks. What does analytics tell us about that possibility?
I believe that in his mind we were still down by eight - going for two would have made sense on the analytics chart.

But there is no way in hell that the chart says go for two when down by 9.

Reactions: psu00
If we could get rid of Franklin (we can't) I would suggest seriously considering Drinkwitz from Missouri.
Honestly, the fans wanted to run him off before this year.

In state Recruiting is on the upswing because the MO government came to his aid and got involved in the NIL game. They have made it possible for those in state athletes who commit to an in state school can start receiving their NIL while in school.

This. I don't care anymore if JF leaves or is let go, but there's a significantly higher chance of going 7-5 for a while than beating OSU and UM even somewhat regularly without him.
I think that Rhule has a ceiling here of 9-3 or 10-2 and 7-5 or 8-4 will be the typical season. At least with Franklin we know we’re double digit victories with him most seasons.

I think that Rhule has a ceiling here of 9-3 or 10-2 and 7-5 or 8-4 will be the typical season. At least with Franklin we know we’re double digit victories with him most seasons.
Why is that Rhule's ceiling? He won 10 games twice at Temple, including beating a Franklin-led team with a 5-star QB by double digits. He won 11 games at Baylor just 2 years after winning 1 game in his first season. He flamed out in the pros, but lots of college coaches do.

The insane decision wasn't going for 2 down 9 late in the game. They'd have needed to go for 2 at some point anyway.

The insane decision was going for 2 down 14-9 in the 2nd quarter of the game, which put them in that shitty situation to begin with.

The insane decision wasn't going for 2 down 9 late in the game. They'd have needed to go for 2 at some point anyway.

The insane decision was going for 2 down 14-9 in the 2nd quarter of the game, which put them in that shitty situation to begin with.
Like I said, I wasn't a fan of either call, but, most definitely, the earlier decision to go for 2 in the 1st half was crazy. Going for 2 down 9 was just something that emotionally didn't sit well with me (because, if you don't make it, you're "out" of the game earlier than if you just kick the XP), but logically it's justifiable. Chasing points with a 2 pt conversion attempt in the 1st half ... I hate that.

Based on what? Not saying hire Rule at this point but how do you come up with that conclusion?

You’re just being silly. Of course there’s logic to it. You have to score 2 TDs and you have to go for 2, and be successful, at least once. There’s technically no reason to wait for the second TD to go for 2. Might as well get it over with and get the 2 early, so you know you have it and can proceed accordingly. That's the logic. It's math.

Respectfully disagree. If you’re down 15 you need to prolong the game. If you score and are now down by 9 you kick the extra point to get it to 8 and stay in a one score game. If you go for 2 and miss the game is instantly over. The logical move is to get it to 8 and live to fight on. The 2 point try then comes on the following TD.

How could you possibly argue about going for two in that moment? Even JF’s defense post game made zero sense. There was no justification. If “points were going to come at a premium” then logic dictates you take the surest possible outcome. Now if he meant to say “the opportunity to score points would come at a premium” he would have made himself sound better but the decision was less than ideal if not outright stupid.
While Joe should have hung it up before he was fired, you can’t deny he knew how to win games when the opportunity to score points”come at a premium”. You punt, play defense, play field position, create turnovers and kick field goals.

Respectfully disagree. If you’re down 15 you need to prolong the game. If you score and are now down by 9 you kick the extra point to get it to 8 and stay in a one score game. If you go for 2 and miss the game is instantly over. The logical move is to get it to 8 and live to fight on. The 2 point try then comes on the following TD.
Why do you need to prolong the game? I mean, as a fan, I want to be invested in the game as long as possible ... but, logically, you need the points now or later ... what's the difference in trying for 2 "now," as opposed to later? It's not like it's early, and you don't know how things are going to turn out ... at that point in the game, your only chance is to hold the opponent to 0, score 2 TDs and convert at least 1 2-pt conversion. Why wait?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT