ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin must go

Anyone know Harbaugh's record vs top 10 teams?

This sounds so familiar.

True, and Harbaugh was on the verge of being fired. He even took a pay cut for poor performance IIRC. Then he turned it around, (coincidentally when the chesting started).

What is his record in those games the past 3 years?

- 2-0 (soon to be 3?) vs Ohio State
- 3-0 vs Penn State
- 2-1 vs Michigan State

- 2 playoff appearances (soon to be 3?)

The difference is one has clearly progressed to the top of the mountain, (albeit with illegal sign stealing), while the other continues to spin its wheels stuck in the mud about 3/4 of the way up.

Why do you need to prolong the game? I mean, as a fan, I want to be invested in the game as long as possible ... but, logically, you need the points now or later ... what's the difference in trying for 2 "now," as opposed to later? It's not like it's early, and you don't know how things are going to turn out ... at that point in the game, your only chance is to hold the opponent to 0, score 2 TDs and convert at least 1 2-pt conversion. Why wait?

Because if you fail after the first TD the game is instantly over.

It’s sort of like the basketball ‘survive and advance’ saying. Get it to an 8 point game and go for the onside kick/ D stand to get the ball back. Stay in the game as long as you can.

I’m sick and tired of this ongoing bickering. For you that want Franklin gone immediately, give me the number you need. I’ll write you a personal check today. Just make sure that he’s cleaned out his office and is off campus before you let him take it to the bank.

Why is that Rhule's ceiling? He won 10 games twice at Temple, including beating a Franklin-led team with a 5-star QB by double digits. He won 11 games at Baylor just 2 years after winning 1 game in his first season. He flamed out in the pros, but lots of college coaches do.
Weak Big12 conference, lost to the big boys still in only season he did well. He was awful during the other two seasons at Baylor. Beat Penn State during the sanction years. Sorry, I’m just not sold as his absolute ceiling is what Franklin regularly produces now. Hard pass.

Penn State fans demanding James Franklin be let go reminds me of Pitt fans wanting Jamie Dixon to leave.

It’s no guarantee that Franklin’s successor will be able to get over the hump. I think PSU should stay the course for two reasons: you aren’t going to face OSU/UM every year and the CFP will expand to 12 teams next year.

True, there are no guarantees.

However, while we may not play Ohio State and Michigan every year we start playing Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA with 1 of Ohio State or Michigan (at least from what we’ve seen in scheduling so far). The schedule isn’t getting any easier.

True, and Harbaugh was on the verge of being fired. He even took a pay cut for poor performance IIRC. Then he turned it around, (coincidentally when the chesting started).

What is his record in those games the past 3 years?

- 2-0 (soon to be 3?) vs Ohio State
- 3-0 vs Penn State
- 2-1 vs Michigan State

- 2 playoff appearances (soon to be 3?)

The difference is one has clearly progressed to the top of the mountain, (albeit with illegal sign stealing), while the other continues to spin its wheels stuck in the mud about 3/4 of the way up.

Point was Harbaugh was stuck in the mud til he wasn’t for quite awhile.

Reactions: psu00
Weak Big12 conference, lost to the big boys still in only season he did well. He was awful during the other two seasons at Baylor. Beat Penn State during the sanction years. Sorry, I’m just not sold as his absolute ceiling is what Franklin regularly produces now. Hard pass.

I agree. I’m not sold on Ruhle either. The Big 12 had some really bad teams and nonexistent defense most of the time he was there.

Reactions: LMTLION
Has Franklin beaten Nebraska yet? Guess we'll see where they're at re one another in 2025 if both are still around.

Point was Harbaugh was stuck in the mud til he wasn’t for quite awhile.

True. I guess the real question is how long do you wait for the turnaround?

Each person will feel differently about what their cutoff is- especially when looking at who would or wouldn’t be available as a replacement year by year.

Harbaugh’s an odd duck and the cheating scandal completely muddies the water. I hesitate to compare him to Franklin who appears to have always behaved properly within the rules.

True. I guess the real question is how long do you wait for the turnaround?

Each person will feel differently about what their cutoff is- especially when looking at who would or wouldn’t be available as a replacement year by year.

Harbaugh’s an odd duck and the cheating scandal completely muddies the water. I hesitate to compare him to Franklin who appears to have always behaved properly within the rules.

It honestly doesn't matter what any run of the mill fans think. He's not going anywhere this year so lets see what the 12 team playoff era does for James.

However, while we may not play Ohio State and Michigan every year we start playing Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA with 1 of Ohio State or Michigan (at least from what we’ve seen in scheduling so far). The schedule isn’t getting any easier.
Oregon is the only team this year that Might give OSU or Michigan a game, the rest including Washington cannot stop anyone, unless they figure out how to play Defense, I’m not sure they are a serious threat to us going 11 - 1

Last edited:

We don't play Oregon next year either. Neither USC or UCLA are ranked.

I'd rather play Washington at home than Michigan in the big house next year, which is what we are getting.

Because if you fail after the first TD the game is instantly over.

It’s sort of like the basketball ‘survive and advance’ saying. Get it to an 8 point game and go for the onside kick/ D stand to get the ball back. Stay in the game as long as you can.
But, again, logically, it makes no difference. You either get the 8 points now, or the 8 points later ... or you lose. The only difference is completely perception ... as you said ... you appear to be staying in the game longer ... but, in reality, it's no difference in terms of winning or losing.

As a fan, watching it ... yeah, I wanted them to prolong the competitiveness of the game. Go into the onside kick thinking if they recover, they have a chance to tie. In terms of the game's outcome, however ... no difference.

But the 1st half 2-pt conversion ... that's different. That was bad.

It honestly doesn't matter what any run of the mill fans think. He's not going anywhere this year so lets see what the 12 team playoff era does for James.

I’m not sure that the 12 team playoff really matters. So PSU may now get in with 2 losses. Nothing has otherwise changed.

I’m not sure that the 12 team playoff really matters. So PSU may now get in with 2 losses. Nothing has otherwise changed.

Couple things change compared to the last couple of years.

We won’t play two top 5 teams next year.

The pressure on those games is inherently lower because your season isn’t over after the second loss.

Franklin has beaten some good teams in bowl games that are of the caliber we’d probably see in the first round.

But, again, logically, it makes no difference. You either get the 8 points now, or the 8 points later ... or you lose. The only difference is completely perception ... as you said ... you appear to be staying in the game longer ... but, in reality, it's no difference in terms of winning or losing.

As a fan, watching it ... yeah, I wanted them to prolong the competitiveness of the game. Go into the onside kick thinking if they recover, they have a chance to tie. In terms of the game's outcome, however ... no difference.

But the 1st half 2-pt conversion ... that's different. That was bad.
We’ll agree to disagree on the second 2 point conversion. ;) We both agree on the first- which is what made the second 2 point conversion even an issue.

We don't play Oregon next year either. Neither USC or UCLA are ranked.

I'd rather play Washington at home than Michigan in the big house next year, which is what we are getting.

True. However, I don’t see USC or Washington as pushovers or guaranteed wins. We lose going to Michigan but that’s replaced with going to USC and hosting Washington.

I think both of those games are very winnable. It will be interesting to see how these new teams match up in the Big Ten.

As another poster said earlier- Franklin was out coached today by a guy in a hotel room.
He outcoached himself. I thought he'd have learned from the 4th down disaster against OSU, but he double downed on Saturday. His decisions gave UM an advantage, both materially and psychologically. I've been very supportive of CJF to this point because he has real strengths as a coach and a person. That support is now tempered, to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT