ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin makes surprise appearance at Soc 119 class. There will be extra running at practice.

Things haven't changed all that much. Back (way back) in my day it was Roman private and public life. 50 in the class - 30 on Joe's squad.

There is plenty of room at McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's for humanities and social science majors. You want fries with that?
The African American Literature and Women's Studies classes that I took my senior year 20+ years ago to fulfill my credits to graduate are as relevant to me now as my core classes. Maybe more. Enjoy your fries. With your way of thinking you'll be making them for me one of these days.

Micah Parsons is doing better than 100% of the people from this board at 18 years of age. The negativity is mind-blowing, he skipped a class and got caught by the head coach. The kid is 18, get off your high horses.

Full ride to PSU, getting a solid education, playing ball, etc. If he continues to develop his skills on the field, he's staring down a million dollar contract at the age of 21.

Where'd your accounting degree get you? For me, an entry-level job in corporate america. Micah is doing something right if you ask me?

Are we making an assumption that taking a sociology course makes you a sociology major? This is just a gen-end/elective. 90% of the people in that class are not sociology majors. Probably a lot of them are marketing majors.

Anyway I don't think there's any way to read this as good news. Parsons just happened to not be in class when Franklin showed up. What are the chances he's been skipping other classes? The guy has a tremendous opportunity, I really hope he is smart enough to not blow it.

The African American Literature and Women's Studies classes that I took my senior year 20+ years ago to fulfill my credits to graduate are as relevant to me now as my core classes. Maybe more. Enjoy your fries. With your way of thinking you'll be making them for me one of these days.

Yeah, good pt. I friend of mine works in marketing for a local university. He was a marketing major, philosophy minor. He says the classes that he took that are most relevant today are not the marketing classes but the philosophy. And I think that's true for a lot of people. It is hard to know what will be most useful.

But I don't disagree if the OP is saying don't major in sociology. It's unlikely you'll pay off $100,000 in student loans with a career in sociology.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with those classes. But if you major in anything, spend 4 years of your life, and spend thousands of dollars, and you know going in, that you have a very slim chance of getting a job in your major when you graduate, that makes no sense to me. I have heard many kids interviewed, who have thousands of dollars in student loan debt, who seemed to never consider the odds of getting a job with their major.

I am an engineer, who is 60, and have plenty of $ saved for retirement. I won't be serving you fries anytime soon.

Not only are electives required, but back in the day at least one of those classes had to come from the sociology curriculum.

As for sociology as a major, most the people I saw who were soc majors used it as a stepping stone to a Master's program.....many out of necessity.

Reactions: BBrown
I am an engineer, who is 60, and have plenty of $ saved for retirement. I won't be serving you fries anytime soon.
Good to hear. Two of the largest employers of 'retired' people are the WalMart and McDonalds. You dont want to spend your golden years at the golden arches!!

I took a film class at PSU. I am not a filmmaker. Not every class is in your major. Part of a bachelor's degree is broadening your horizons.
Microbiology major and I am still upset I got a B in Weather 101. I think the Professor was a mansoginist and I was hinting that I was.......not pretty enough to be a .................Meteorologist.

Micah Parsons is doing better than 100% of the people from this board at 18 years of age. The negativity is mind-blowing, he skipped a class and got caught by the head coach. The kid is 18, get off your high horses.

Full ride to PSU, getting a solid education, playing ball, etc. If he continues to develop his skills on the field, he's staring down a million dollar contract at the age of 21.

Where'd your accounting degree get you? For me, an entry-level job in corporate america. Micah is doing something right if you ask me?

I'm not sure he even skipped, didn't he stand up in the back at the end?

Microbiology major and I am still upset I got a B in Weather 101. I think the Professor was a mansoginist and I was hinting that I was.......not pretty enough to be a .................Meteorologist.

Worst "elective" I ever took was Film 180. Holy crap I thought that was supposed to be easy. LOL.
Best electives were some Lit. classes. Midevil Lit and Literature of the Occult. The other was Geo Sci 20 (I think) Otherwise known as Rocks for Jocks. I think that had a lab with it as well. It was a fun class.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Worst "elective" I ever took was Film 180. Holy crap I thought that was supposed to be easy. LOL.
Best electives were some Lit. classes. Midevil Lit and Literature of the Occult. The other was Geo Sci 20 (I think) Otherwise known as Rocks for Jocks. I think that had a lab with it as well. It was a fun class.

my favorite 2 classes at Penn State were The History of Communism, and Television as Mass Media.

Rocks for Jocks. I think that had a lab with it as well. It was a fun class.[/QUOTE]

With Dr. Larry Latman? The info I got from the class has stayed with me decades later.

Reactions: manofsteel200
There is not another coach I would rather have at PSU than James Franklin - and that includes Saban and Meyer. Would our "on the field" record be better with either of those two guys? Probably, but I wouldn't trade the message, the values, and the relationships that Franklin is building throughout the team and university for a couple of playoff appearances (we will get those sooner or later). I am not taking a shot at either Saban or Meyer, but their model is closer to the "NFL minor league" model than the program that CJF is building at PSU. Nothing wrong with that approach, it's just different and I prefer CJF's approach. Just like there is nothing wrong with vanilla ice cream, but I prefer (death by) chocolate!

Breaking team rules. Must be seated in the front row, no hats, etc.
That was my first thought. Remember him saying front row a few years ago. Didn't remember whether it was a rule or just a "here's where I want these guys." This is funny and, as a parent, I'd say the vid reflects well on the program and coach....

Beyond that, not nearly as interesting as the Sisters of the Fairway... Hope Soc 119 touched on that.

Rocks for Jocks. I think that had a lab with it as well. It was a fun class.

With Dr. Larry Latman? The info I got from the class has stayed with me decades later.[/QUOTE]
Great class. Took the final out on Old Main lawn after someone called in a bomb scare, Spring 1968 I believe.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Actually, he should have written:

"Sir, you are an engineer and I defer to your knowledge, wisdom, and logic".

That's what I make lawyers say to me when I teach them science to help their case.:D
Well said. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else because I'm an engineer, but I'm no worse than anyone else either. It's just that engineering is a major where you have a decent shot at getting a job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT