ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin is best for PSU

Any objective observer would have to agree that Franklin has underperformed over the last several years. We finish up with 4 games where we will be favored by 10 or more points, and he got us through the first of the four. If Franklin gets us through the remaining 3 games and can pull off a bowl win, it will be a successful season, even though we were drubbed by OSU & Mich.

Any objective observer would have to agree that Franklin has underperformed over the last several years. We finish up with 4 games where we will be favored by 10 or more points, and he got us through the first of the four. If Franklin gets us through the remaining 3 games and can pull off a bowl win, it will be a successful season, even though we were drubbed by OSU & Mich.
Actually objective observers would likely think the opposite…it’s the nonobjective observers who think that PSU has been a national champion contender for the past 30 years who think he’s underperformed.

As an outsider I think he has had teams that have underperformed. But who is better that is available to replace him with? See even at WVU I am not certain we are going to find a coach who can win us nine games in the current landscape.

Franklin will suck as a coach as long as he can’t win the big ten east. 10-2 isn’t bad it’s just not equivalent to his salary or the expectations that come with it.

^^^^^^
You should get what you pay for. Given the advantages of PSU any number of coaches with far lower salaries could pull off the same record.

Look at the geography. What school is PSU's competition in the Northeast? Take out the coach and PSU has the advantage in nearly every category.

Reactions: rrdd2021
I'm not sure you can find a better 7 or 8 year stretch of NFL draft players coming out of Penn state and then how great they have been in the NFL, in our program history… I mean we have some of the best at certain positions in the NFL… so just using that measure along with many, many others indicates that we have underachieved.

It points to what we know. Franklin is a great recruiter, but it will take success at the highest level to recruit a team with the kind of depth that we see among the NC contending teams. That is the difference. We usually place a few, and some, like Barkley, are superstars.

It points to what we know. Franklin is a great recruiter, but it will take success at the highest level to recruit a team with the kind of depth that we see among the NC contending teams. That is the difference. We usually place a few, and some, like Barkley, are superstars.
No question… but it will take higher level recruiting at the line of scrimmage… specifically on the defensive line. Look at LSU who has a Premier pass rusher totally dominate Arkansas today, Hutchinson last year with Michigan, bosa and young with Ohio state, until we have 1 on 1 guys that can not only cause havoc but win games by themselves, not much will change. That's why I think what Diaz has done so far with a lot of over-scheming to cover up weak spots, and super aggressiveness with having no real dominant players in the front 7 is very impressive… imagine if he can have a few more tools in his Arsenal of roadgraders up front

Doesn’t Mary usually criticize Jimmy? She flip flops more than Mr. “ I don’t but now I do support fracking”.

He exceeded my expectations but you guys need to beat the two big dogs more often.

No question… but it will take higher level recruiting at the line of scrimmage… specifically on the defensive line. Look at LSU who has a Premier pass rusher totally dominate Arkansas today, Hutchinson last year with Michigan, bosa and young with Ohio state, until we have 1 on 1 guys that can not only cause havoc but win games by themselves, not much will change. That's why I think what Diaz has done so far with a lot of over-scheming to cover up weak spots, and super aggressiveness with having no real dominant players in the front 7 is very impressive… imagine if he can have a few more tools in his Arsenal of roadgraders up front
Abdul Carter? Looks pretty dominant to me.

Abdul Carter? Looks pretty dominant to me.
Of course...dude is a stud. He is one guy, and doesn't play on the DL. We need more of his kind -- from the standpoint of being able to dominate with big time athleticism. When it comes to making key plays in key moments vs osu, mich, etc., they haven't happened. Of course, both sides of the ball are to blame and co-exist in any of these past losses. But, both of those teams have had front 4 terrors that have controlled the LOS in game-altering moments. JF even said it after the mich loss...we need to be bigger up front. I'll add, we need to be more dominant.

Reactions: BBHorn86
Diaz has saved Franklins butt this year. Give him credit for making that happen. But our team year after year plays down to competition it seems. MSU should have been a stomping. As for Yurcich, I'm not a fan of him yet, and I dont know whether to blame him or Clifford if he's changing the plays into the wrong calls. If MY is calling this run up the middle on almost every first down, then he should be gone.

Reactions: scrivener
Diaz has saved Franklins butt this year. Give him credit for making that happen. But our team year after year plays down to competition it seems. MSU should have been a stomping. As for Yurcich, I'm not a fan of him yet, and I dont know whether to blame him or Clifford if he's changing the plays into the wrong calls. If MY is calling this run up the middle on almost every first down, then he should be gone.
Diaz sure did a nice job being here less then a year....the defensive numbers of pbus, tfls, total D, are very good considering outside of Carter, the front 7 didn't have a true standout, dominating player. Abdul is a freak. The secondary will take a hit in 2023 losing Brown and JPJ...no way around that. And, I thought Wilson and Dixon had ups and downs this yr, Hardy mostly downs. Hopefully King is the leader of that group next yr because he was excellent this season. If the front 4 can start controlling the LOS more often in 2023, especially in big games, enabling Diaz to not have to be ultra aggressive, that is best case scenario. I think he and JF realized that they had to jailhouse so many times in each game to get pressure as the DL couldn't by themselves. Diaz by trade is more aggressive than Pry was which I like, but the front needs a breakout couple of players to be able to help out the secondary in 23.

Reactions: therod
129 years of football at Penn State record 919-406 .688 winning percentage
James Franklin at Penn State 77-36 .681 winning percentage

"WE DESERVE BETTER?"
Fanboys LOL
And Franklin is coaching post-Sandusky… a remarkable accomplishment.

And Franklin is coaching post-Sandusky… a remarkable accomplishment.
Didn't mention the Sanctions or COVID. Just thought everyone should wake up and realize that numbers don't lie. 130 years of data.
But you should never try to confuse fanboys with the facts.

Reactions: hoflane
yes, lets accept mediocre!!!!! Can't beat Ohio State or Michigan, he should be gone, but we have a horrible athletic department that does not have the guts to do what needs to be done!
Agree, this cannot continue as a streak - losing to both in the same year. He's spending significant hours/days/weeks recruiting 4 and 5 star guys, but he should be handing that off to someone else and spending that time trying to beat OSU and UM. Lets face it - we've reached our peak at 10-2. Unless something changes significantly in how they approach the elite programs, this is the pinnacle unfortunately for this program. You've gotta beat at least one of them each year for a decent shot at the conf championship.

Reactions: cment and beachouse
But our team year after year plays down to competition it seems.
Nearly every win this season was won comfortably, by multiple scores. This was one of the least dramatic PSU seasons I can remember, we took care of business against the teams we should have.

Franklin needs to start beating tOSU and meat chicken with regularity. But again, it's hard to with regularity beating cheating.

Franklin will suck as a coach as long as he can’t win the big ten east. 10-2 isn’t bad it’s just not equivalent to his salary or the expectations that come with it.
Look @ HCJH @ UMich & HCJF @ Penn-St. Remember when they wanted to run HCJH out of the big house when he was losing to M-State & O-State the same season(s). Now look @ UMich. So what is the difference between HCJH @ the big house & HCJF @ Beaver Stadium? Go (@ least) 11-1 in '23 & I won't have to read any more crap about running HCJF out of Beaver Stadium👍
Oh & one more thing. Watch us stomp the Froggies @ the B12CG & become the
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Last edited:
Their peak, realistically, is 11-1 playing O$U and Michigan at home and winning in alternating years. Tough to go unbeaten in the B1G.
It's tough to go unbeaten in college football period. Even some of the perennial powers have rough goings every so often. Think about this - Alabama, OSU, Clemson, and Oklahoma could all miss the Playoffs this year. I wonder when the last time one of those teams weren't in it ?

Yea, and I thought he was way too greedy?
Exactly. The OP was claiming Franklin was of "low character" and lacked humility. She excoriated him for having the nads for asking for a raise last year. Now she claims he is what is best for PSU. Hard to fathom.

Reactions: hoflane and 81b&w
Exactly. The OP was claiming Franklin was of "low character" and lacked humility. She excoriated him for having the nads for asking for a raise last year. Now she claims he is what is best for PSU. Hard to fathom.
It's not inconsistent to say that he showed a very big lack of character last year and then say that he's still best to keep at State.
I will repeat that Harbaugh showed a lot better character last year than Franklin, no comparison. One gives away 2 million and the other has a terrible year and grabs for more money while showing no loyalty. None of us are perfect.

Reactions: hoflane
It's not inconsistent to say that he showed a very big lack of character last year and then say that he's still best to keep at State.
I will repeat that Harbaugh showed a lot better character last year than Franklin, no comparison. One gives away 2 million and the other has a terrible year and grabs for more money while showing no loyalty. None of us are perfect.
Bump (emphasis mine)

I'm not sure you can find a better 7 or 8 year stretch of NFL draft players coming out of Penn state and then how great they have been in the NFL, in our program history… I mean we have some of the best at certain positions in the NFL… so just using that measure along with many, many others indicates that we have underachieved.
I’m going to assume your of relatively young age.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Penn State has four 11-win seasons since 2016 under Franklin, but these numbers exasperate Nittany Lions fans: 1-9 against Ohio State; 3-16 vs. top-10 teams; 1-13 vs. Ohio State and Michigan teams ranked in the top 10.

Still, Franklin isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Just watched the Rhule press conference in Lincoln. He is going to turn around the Huskers in three years.
I agree with this. PSU fans have no idea what they are missing out on. The “toughness” he has established in year 1 is equivalent to the “toughness” Schiano has accomplished in two years with Rutgers. Rhule is a fine college coach (definitely not suited for the NFL. Rhule and Schiano are “football” coaches and it shows.

Franklin needs to start beating tOSU and meat chicken with regularity. But again, it's hard to with regularity beating cheating.
Stealing signs is part of the chess game within the game (albeit without the use of technology). It’s “gamesmanship” and it occurs in every sport. Only people who have never played competitive sports will complain about it.

You don’t have to worry about stealing PSU offense signals…our own players don’t even know them….🤦‍♂️

Stealing signs is part of the chess game within the game (albeit without the use of technology). It’s “gamesmanship” and it occurs in every sport. Only people who have never played competitive sports will complain about it.

You don’t have to worry about stealing PSU offense signals…our own players don’t even know them….🤦‍♂️
Only those people - and the rest of the teams in the Big 10 conference, the NCAA, etc.

Are you on Harbaugh’s payroll?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT