ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin do what Franklin do

Just curious, what game day coaching problems did you see last year.

Because I thought that part of it he handled really well.

Game day, here's what I saw:

1) Some really good first-half clock management that enabled the team to score critical TDs just before halftime in several games.
2) Aggressive play-calling by Moorhead in tight situations (I don't think Franklin did the play calling but he clearly was engaged and part of the strategy). PSU played to win, they didn't play not to lose.
3) Constant game-day engagement with players. I really love that Franklin isn't one of those coaches who just stays on his headset discussing Xs and Os -- Moorehad and Pry do that. He's also not one of those coaches like Harbaugh who spends the whole game working the officials. He'll express his opinions about calls but Franklin is really smart about not wasting too much time on it, because most of the time jawing with officials is not time well spent.

Franklin is always watching the players on the field, congratulating them when they do well, offering advice when they don't. When Barkley taunted the Iowa LB on a TD Franklin was immediately on it, using it as a teachable moment. I thought that was terribly impressive on several levels.

To me, the biggest question about game day coaching is -- how do the players look. Are they playing hard? How do they handle adversity? Do they get complacent when they get a lead. I think on all those counts PSU did really well last year. Franklin's players play hard for him -- when they're behind and when they're ahead. That is the No. 1 thing you want from game day coaching.
Excellent points. Every coach makes some in game mistakes (Harbaugh made more than Franklin). And even some of those "mistakes" only seem like mistakes in hindsight or from the sideline when it doesn't get the desired result. On Barkley's TD run in OT, if he would have been dropped for a loss, Franklin would have taken crap for handing off up the middle in that situation. Saban and Meyer have made their share of "mistakes" as well. Bottom line is (as you posted), the team plays hard and will run through a brick wall for Franklin. That's great game day coaching.

Just curious, what game day coaching problems did you see last year.

Because I thought that part of it he handled really well.

Game day, here's what I saw:

1) Some really good first-half clock management that enabled the team to score critical TDs just before halftime in several games.
2) Aggressive play-calling by Moorhead in tight situations (I don't think Franklin did the play calling but he clearly was engaged and part of the strategy). PSU played to win, they didn't play not to lose.
3) Constant game-day engagement with players. I really love that Franklin isn't one of those coaches who just stays on his headset discussing Xs and Os -- Moorehad and Pry do that. He's also not one of those coaches like Harbaugh who spends the whole game working the officials. He'll express his opinions about calls but Franklin is really smart about not wasting too much time on it, because most of the time jawing with officials is not time well spent.

Franklin is always watching the players on the field, congratulating them when they do well, offering advice when they don't. When Barkley taunted the Iowa LB on a TD Franklin was immediately on it, using it as a teachable moment. I thought that was terribly impressive on several levels.

To me, the biggest question about game day coaching is -- how do the players look. Are they playing hard? How do they handle adversity? Do they get complacent when they get a lead. I think on all those counts PSU did really well last year. Franklin's players play hard for him -- when they're behind and when they're ahead. That is the No. 1 thing you want from game day coaching.
I live in Nashville, saw what he did st Vandy and have been one of his biggest supporters from day one.

With that being said if you are going to criticize James some of his game day decisions like going on 4th down numerous times against Wisky could be questioned.

I like the aggressiveness. I like the passion but some of his game time decisions are curious in terms of running out the clock in the first half or going for a fourth down conversion.

This nitpicking, but it is the only complaint that someone in my eyes could bring against Franklin.

That was my only point, I agree with much of your post.

That is, he plays into his strength: sales. When it comes to recruiting I expect nothing less. Nonetheless, there was a good deal of chest-thumping on the board over the weekend. Whether or not he can build upon last year's success remains to be seen. All I can say is it takes a great deal of courage to fire your buddies and get on with the business of hiring and utilizing competent assistants. Perhaps Sandy set the example here! I don't know. Anyway, the jury is still out.
I thank you.
Jury is in on you. Stop using preparation H as chapstick. Bad stuff is coming out of your mouth.

Looks like Franklin Do -

is a shaved head.

He wears it well.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT