ADVERTISEMENT

For those who were at the game...

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
...and did not watch it on TV....the BTN announcers (color commentary by Chuck Long)....had some fairly positive things to say about the program

- the actions by the NCAA would have killed a "lesser program" (my editorial comment)...
- O'Brien did as masterful a coaching job in keeping the program together
- they mentioned the leadership by a couple of kids on the team (Zordich and Mauti) who kept the team together
- they mentioned how the fans, alums and squad kept this program going, when it really could have been left for dead.
- (and this is my favorite).....in the last 11 years, ONLY TWO BIG TEN PROGRAMS HAVE NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON...Wisconsin and Penn State. Not Michigan, not Ohio State, not Nebraska....and Wisconsin has not had to face anywhere near the issues Penn State has had.

I did not cross reference their last statement, but it is true that PSU has not had a losing season....and given all that this program has been through....that is amazing and a testament to a solid foundation that has been in place for a long time...

Last edited:
...and did not watch it on TV....the BTN announcers (color commentary by Chuck Long)....had some fairly positive things to say about the program

- the actions by the NCAA would have killed a "lesser program" (my editorial comment)...
- they mentioned the leadership by a couple of kids on the team (Zordich and Mauti) who kept the team together
- they mentioned how the fans, alums and squad kept this program going, when it really could have been left for dead.
- (and this is my favorite).....in the last 11 years, ONLY TWO PROGRAMS HAVE NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON...Wisconsin and Penn State. Not Michigan, not Ohio State, not Nebraska....and Wisconsin has not had to face anywhere near the issues Penn State has had.

I did not cross reference their last statement, but it is true that PSU has not had a losing season....and given all that this program has been through....that is amazing and a testament to a solid foundation that has been in place for a long time...

saw that stat flash across the screen and beamed with pride

thought about what Mauti said (paraphrasing) . . . they tried to kill us and they failed

amazing what WE have accomplished, because of the foundation Joe laid for 61 years . . .

Maybe the day will come when the announcers for a PSU game won't feel obligated to bang the drum about the sanctions, as ridiculous and unjust as they may have been.

As long as the court cases are active we will hear about the sanctions. Sandusky appeal, Paterno law suit, criminal case against former PSU leadership. I believe all of those have active cases.

As long as the court cases are active we will hear about the sanctions. Sandusky appeal, Paterno law suit, criminal case against former PSU leadership. I believe all of those have active cases.

And the sanctions are still affecting the football program. PSU is still not at 85 schollies and won't be until next year and it will not be really until 2018 until the full effect of the sanctions are gone and PSU will not have a recruiting class that was affected by them. So I think in 2019 (3 years from now) you will no longer here anything about the sanctions (not saying you still won't here about the JS scandal and Paterno's role from announcers, just the sanctions will no longer be a topic of conversation).

And the sanctions are still affecting the football program. PSU is still not at 85 schollies and won't be until next year and it will not be really until 2018 until the full effect of the sanctions are gone and PSU will not have a recruiting class that was affected by them. So I think in 2019 (3 years from now) you will no longer here anything about the sanctions (not saying you still won't here about the JS scandal and Paterno's role from announcers, just the sanctions will no longer be a topic of conversation).

Yes and no. Some of that is kicking the can down the road, and some of that is true. I look at this as year one for Franklin, but 6-6 or 7-5, would be a disappointment and he will be on the hot seat next year if that happens, fair or not fair.

- (and this is my favorite).....in the last 11 years, ONLY TWO BIG TEN PROGRAMS HAVE NOT HAD A LOSING SEASON...Wisconsin and Penn State. Not Michigan, not Ohio State, not Nebraska....and Wisconsin has not had to face anywhere near the issues Penn State has had.

By the way, there are only six teams nationally who have not had a losing season in 11 years including Wisconsin and Penn State. So 4 other programs have that distinction... BTW I think Boise State is also one of those schools.

Reactions: AJ65
I like the way Chuck Long described how difficult it is to throw a quick slant.He also gave TM plenty of kudos , but our board knows better.

Reactions: Cpeplion
By the way, there are only six teams nationally who have not had a losing season in 11 years including Wisconsin and Penn State. So 4 other programs have that distinction... BTW I think Boise State is also one of those schools.

Sir, do you have a reference for this or did you have to review the W-L records for every team yourself?

Sir, do you have a reference for this or did you have to review the W-L records for every team yourself?

I think this was discussed before, when we talked about the teams with the most wins over the past 10 years

I believe the other teams are Florida State, Va tech . . . can't remember the 3rd . . .

interesting trivia question . . . in what year did Va tech have their last losing season??

Yes and no. Some of that is kicking the can down the road, and some of that is true. I look at this as year one for Franklin, but 6-6 or 7-5, would be a disappointment and he will be on the hot seat next year if that happens, fair or not fair.

For the most part I agree with you. However since "quality" OL take normally 2-3 years to develop (he inherited a real mess) he still has work to do there. I firmly believe we will see a bigger difference next year. My "other" area of concern is at QB. Hope I'm wrong there.

Reactions: 83wuzme
I think this was discussed before, when we talked about the teams with the most wins over the past 10 years

I believe the other teams are Florida State, Va tech . . . can't remember the 3rd . . .

interesting trivia question . . . in what year did Va tech have their last losing season??

Simons, it would be a pain in the a** to review all team records over the last 11 years. I'm very interested in this point: "name the only teams that have had winning records every year over the last 11 years."

I wish someone else had already put that data together (sh*t, I don't want to have to do it!).

Last edited:
Simons, it would be a pain in the a** to review all team records over the last 11 years. I'm very interested in this point: "name the only teams that have had winning records over the last 11 years."

I wish someone else had already put that data together (sh*t, I don't want to have to do it!).

yeah I hear ya. I started with this list of Most Wins since 2000

then I went to each team's Wikipedia page of Record by Season

Reactions: PSUEngineerx2
Franklin is not, and won't be for some time.

Reactions: colt21 and simons96
Best winning % 2005-2015. PSU gets the worst probation in the history of sports and still has the 17th best winning %. SCum languishing at #35

1 Boise State 0.84138 122 23 0 145
2 Ohio State 0.83333 110 22 0 132
3 Oregon 0.79310 115 30 0 145
4 Alabama 0.78740 100 27 0 127
5 Texas Christian 0.78723 111 30 0 141
6 Louisiana State 0.77778 112 32 0 144
7 Oklahoma 0.76712 112 34 0 146
8 Wisconsin 0.73973 108 38 0 146
9 Florida 0.72222 104 40 0 144
10 Southern Cal 0.71970 95 37 0 132
11 Georgia 0.71724 104 41 0 145
12 Clemson 0.70548 103 43 0 146
13 Virginia Tech 0.70068 103 44 0 147
14t Brigham Young 0.69718 99 43 0 142
14t Texas 0.69718 99 43 0 142
16 Florida State 0.69630 94 41 0 135
17 Penn State 0.68571 96 44 0 140
18 West Virginia 0.68085 96 45 0 141
19 Utah 0.67143 94 46 0 140
20 Michigan State 0.67133 96 47 0 143

Reactions: simons96
Best winning % 2005-2015. PSU gets the worst probation in the history of sports and still has the 17th best winning %. SCum languishing at #35

1 Boise State 0.84138 122 23 0 145
2 Ohio State 0.83333 110 22 0 132
3 Oregon 0.79310 115 30 0 145
4 Alabama 0.78740 100 27 0 127
5 Texas Christian 0.78723 111 30 0 141
6 Louisiana State 0.77778 112 32 0 144
7 Oklahoma 0.76712 112 34 0 146
8 Wisconsin 0.73973 108 38 0 146
9 Florida 0.72222 104 40 0 144
10 Southern Cal 0.71970 95 37 0 132
11 Georgia 0.71724 104 41 0 145
12 Clemson 0.70548 103 43 0 146
13 Virginia Tech 0.70068 103 44 0 147
14t Brigham Young 0.69718 99 43 0 142
14t Texas 0.69718 99 43 0 142
16 Florida State 0.69630 94 41 0 135
17 Penn State 0.68571 96 44 0 140
18 West Virginia 0.68085 96 45 0 141
19 Utah 0.67143 94 46 0 140
20 Michigan State 0.67133 96 47 0 143

Ha, I saw this when I was searching around.

Thank you very much, very useful tables. But that data doesn't address the question of teams that have not had a losing season over the last 11 years.

I was hoping someone had a reference to that specifically.
At the site referenced, I just clicked on the name of each team in turn and all but the two mentioned have a loosing season.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I love us. :)

It's weird to say this, but the btn announcers made some great points.

I thought Chuck Long was a pretty good announcer. Like the way he said on short yardage, esp. near the goal line, how he took out the read option and just told the QB to hand it to the back on those plays. He's a big upgrade from some of the other BTN and ESPN announcers.

Holy shitsky, simons, that exactly right. I've never heard of Dunning-Kruger but it's 21Guns/Miles to a tee -- 'illusory superiority'.

There you go Mr McAndrew. Unprovoked attacks. Not calling it both ways is unprofessional, regardless of who you personally like or don't like post-wise.

Once again you're involvement has ruined s perfectly good thread.

Arts and Letters, regardless of what you say, began. HIs involvement ruined the thread, the attack was unprovoked. The board was cleaned up and he posted another unprovoked attack. What you think about my posts is irrelevant, I don't know you from Adam and don't care what you post. it was HIS attack.

and it's "your" involvement, not "you're" involvment.

Has anybody pondered whether McSorely and his receivers would consider breaking off some of the deeper routes when the defender has inside coverage. If they were on the same page, the receiver could turn to the outside of the route and slow letting/allowing the defender to go by ad the QB would adjust his throw to the back shoulder of the receiver. That looked like it might have worked a few times Saturday. Just wondered about others thoughts.

Arts and Letters, regardless of what you say, began. HIs involvement ruined the thread, the attack was unprovoked. The board was cleaned up and he posted another unprovoked attack. What you think about my posts is irrelevant, I don't know you from Adam and don't care what you post. it was HIS attack.

and it's "your" involvement, not "you're" involvment.

You are correct, it is "your", not "you're", and I only blame my use of a cell phone for the response and not catching the mistake.

However, I fully understand why people attack you on this board - you simply ask for it.

You are correct, it is "your", not "you're", and I only blame my use of a cell phone for the response and not catching the mistake.

However, I fully understand why people attack you on this board - you simply ask for it.

You did not address the actual point. Tom ended the thread and took out the attacks on BOTH SIDES. The attacks were deleted. Then the attacks were once again STARTED by Arts and Letters. Nobody "asked" for that, that was unprovoked and I have the thread to prove it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT