ADVERTISEMENT

Central Michigan

Jerry

May 29, 2001
The Chippewas. Solid MAC program that's sent a handful of guys, to include two offensive linemen last year, to the NFL. They had a good 2021 season capped off by a Sun Bowl win over Washington State. Their coach is Jim McElwain who won two SEC East titles at Florida before being pushed out amid controversy as the Gators were struggling in the middle of the 2017 season.

This year's edition retained a few key guys from the successful 2021 team but has been hit hard by graduation and transfers. It looks like the D in particular saw a few of its best players leave for greener pastures in the SEC and elsewhere. That may be why Oklahoma State put up 44 points on them...in the first half. In their two other games, they lost to a decent South Alabama team and blew out winless Bucknell.

The line opened at 26 and has actually been bet down a bit, which is interesting. Unless there's a letdown coming off the big Auburn win, I would have thought we could cover 26 with room to spare. But who knows. "On any given Saturday" and all that jazz. You can't afford to take any opponent lightly.

The Chippewas. Solid MAC program that's sent a handful of guys, to include two offensive linemen last year, to the NFL. They had a good 2021 season capped off by a Sun Bowl win over Washington State. Their coach is Jim McElwain who won two SEC East titles at Florida before being pushed out amid controversy as the Gators were struggling in the middle of the 2017 season.

This year's edition retained a few key guys from the successful 2021 team but has been hit hard by graduation and transfers. It looks like the D in particular saw a few of its best players leave for greener pastures in the SEC and elsewhere. That may be why Oklahoma State put up 44 points on them...in the first half. In their two other games, they lost to a decent South Alabama team and blew out winless Bucknell.

The line opened at 26 and has actually been bet down a bit, which is interesting. Unless there's a letdown coming off the big Auburn win, I would have thought we could cover 26 with room to spare. But who knows. "On any given Saturday" and all that jazz. You can't afford to take any opponent lightly.
Why don't I bet? Because PSU will go up 42-0 quickly, then put the backups of backups in and 42-0 becomes 45-20 as the team uses it as a scrimmage lol. Then I scream at the TV over my $5 bet. It's happened once or twice , literally only once or twice.

hard to say which will be the bigger test: Central Michigan or Northwestern the week after.

Ohio, BTW, got beat by Iowa State 43-10. Ohio had four turnovers.

Back to PSU: Nice to have two solid but easily winnable games before (plus a bye week) going to UM on OCT 15th.

There have been enough upsets over the last few weeks that hopefully have gotten the attention of the team to take no opponent lightly this year.
We don’t need to be a highlight for the wrong reasons over the next 2 games.

Reactions: Jerry
The line moving down is indicative of the expected liberal subbing and the fact that this team scored 3 TDs late vs Okie State. We aren't going to play Madden on them until we are up by 50.

I think the key here is to fine tune vs CMU. Take what they give you. Don't get cute. Rotate your depth.

The next week, go for the kill on Northwestern. No looking ahead.

There have been enough upsets over the last few weeks that hopefully have gotten the attention of the team to take no opponent lightly this year.
We don’t need to be a highlight for the wrong reasons over the next 2 games.
B1G was awful last week

• Washington Beat Sparty
  • OK throttled Nebraska
  • Purdue lost to Syracuse
  • S. Illinois beat NW

Indiana barely beat W Kentucky
Rutgers barely beat Temple

Purdue's loss was painful as it hurts our SOS. Purdue played better but has 12 penalties for almost 140 yards plus a turnover.

I don’t know much about Central Michigan. That said, it’s only natural to have a little bit of an emotional letdown after a huge road victory like at Auburn. I could see us having a very sluggish first half and then pouring it on in the second half. It’s a betting line that I would stay away from, however.

Reactions: Jerry
Why don't I bet? Because PSU will go up 42-0 quickly, then put the backups of backups in and 42-0 becomes 45-20 as the team uses it as a scrimmage lol. Then I scream at the TV over my $5 bet. It's happened once or twice , literally only once or twice.

Paterno was famous for that...to the point that you were always taking a chance betting Penn State as a big favorite.

One of the indelible memories of my youth was a Saturday in 1968 when my Dad, a huge Penn State fan and graduate of the school, took Penn State as a moderate favorite, somewhere around 11-12 points as I recall, over Syracuse.

Penn State rolled out to a 30-0 lead, and it looked like money in the bank. Then Joe started doing his thing, playing the subs, shutting down the offense, loosening up the defense, and in general taking pity on a badly beaten opponent...as he was in the habit of doing.

So in the 4th quarter, Syracuse scores...gets the ball back...quickly scores again...eezy-peezy. Suddenly out of the blue, Dad's bet was in dire jeopardy. He's going berserk, screaming at the television and saying not very nice things about Paterno. Meanwhile, I was sitting there trying my best to stifle giggles. I mean, the spectacle was pretty funny, but it would not have been wise at all for me to advertise my amusement.

Fortunately, the story had a happy ending. With the score 30-12 and the bet going to be lost if the Orangemen put another TD on the board...the game clock mercifully hit zero.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Paterno was famous for that...to the point that you were always taking a chance betting Penn State as a big favorite.

One of the indelible memories of my youth was a Saturday in 1968 when my Dad, a huge Penn State fan and graduate of the school, took Penn State as a moderate favorite, somewhere around 11-12 points as I recall, over Syracuse.

Penn State rolled out to a 30-0 lead, and it looked like money in the bank. Then Joe started doing his thing, playing the subs, shutting down the offense, loosening up the defense, and in general taking pity on a badly beaten opponent...as he was in the habit of doing.

So in the 4th quarter, Syracuse scores...gets the ball back...quickly scores again...eezy-peezy. Suddenly out of the blue, Dad's bet was in dire jeopardy. He's going berserk, screaming at the television and saying not very nice things about Paterno. Meanwhile, I was sitting there trying my best to stifle giggles. I mean, the spectacle was pretty funny, but it would not have been wise at all for me to advertise my amusement.

Fortunately, the story had a happy ending. With the score 30-12 and the bet going to be lost if the Orangemen put another TD on the board...the game clock mercifully hit zero.
Joe did it to me against WV in 1985 I think . I picked psu as a favorite on a football card. I would have won 50$. They were up near the end and a fg would have covered the spread .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT