ADVERTISEMENT

For those unhappy with Franklin

I'm not one, hope he stays his entire career, stability within the program. Reason for this topic, I live in FL and the three top programs (Miami, Florida and FSU) all brough in new high priced, tough guy coaches and they are no better off with the odds of transforming not looking great. Actually, PSU was the beneficiary of the Miami move, Diaz to PSU was like adding a 5***** recruit.
Talk to me after next year. While the Michigan loss was a total embarrassment and while we could see the same this Saturday, if he goes 10 and 2 with a decent bowl win I would give him another year to see what he can do with a lot of good players returning.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I'm not one, hope he stays his entire career, stability within the program. Reason for this topic, I live in FL and the three top programs (Miami, Florida and FSU) all brough in new high priced, tough guy coaches and they are no better off with the odds of transforming not looking great. Actually, PSU was the beneficiary of the Miami move, Diaz to PSU was like adding a 5***** recruit.
Nice non sequitor “counselor”.
Doesn't matter, Neely really likes James...speaks of him glowingly...

So I guess these 3 coaches records elsewhere doesn’t count. Look in the mirror for the BS narrative.
Of course they don't count. Winning at Boise State is different than winning at Auburn. Winning at UCF is different than winning at Nebraska. Winning at Vanderbilt is different than winning at PSU.

You are evaluating these coaches based on their CURRENT job performance; not their careers.

Reactions: mcpat
You people on here are defending Franklin just as you defended Pat Chambers both are poor coaches and they will win nothing. The longer he stays the worse it will get
I will ask the question I have asked before.

If you fire Franklin, who are you going to hire who is going to DEFINITELY be more successful?

Comparing him to Chambers is ridiculous. I like Pat, but he never won a conference championship (or even came close), nor did he recruit at a level similar to CJF.

1-7 vs OSU.
I'm always amused at this stat because most of the Big 10 is 0-whatever against OSU over the same time frame. OSU has lost once to PSU, once to Purdue, once to UM and twice to MSU over the last 7-8 years, that's it. So while 1 win against OSU isn't good, it's better than the majority of teams and coaches in the conference have managed.

No hate at all; Coach Franklin is an under-performing head coach based on the only 3 success metrics for PSU football:

1. He is 3-6 vs UM
2. He is 1-7 vs Ohio State (soon to be 1-8; unfortunately)
3. He has one Conference title in 8 (soon to be 9) seasons.

As for Coach Paterno, RIP, I was a strong advocate for his forced retirement after the meltdown of 1999, where he couldn’t win the conference with a team where almost half the starters were drafted. He also, as a Big Ten head coach, underperformed based upon the 3, and only 3, and only THESE 3, success metrics.
Except those aren't the only 3 success metrics for PSU football. Maybe they are for you, but they aren't for Franklin or the athletic department.

Look at Georgia--should they have kept Richt?

Why? Because other schools failures have no bearing on this case and this charge: Franklin is an underperforming Head Coach. That’s the charge, and he is manifestly GUILTY. Other coaches being failures or underperforming is not relevant to this case, and this charge. That’s why. Your client has a lousy lawyer…
True. Some like to list a few coaches that have underperformed but there’s also been plenty of coaching hires that we’re a success.

Jimbo Fisher
Scott Frost
Brian Harsin
Steve Sarkisian

The defense rests.
I feel like so many people here never got past mid-management in their careers (if they ever got to that) because they're afraid of risk
Texas A&M, Nebraska, Auburn and Texas needed to make changes--ADs need fired for hiring the wrong guys.

Reactions: MacNit07
30th you say. This includes the last two down years.

v1Mt0QV.png

So, you're happy being on the level of Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma State and A&M who knows they need to fire their HC--sounds like your goals are pathetic. Michigan would have moved on from Harbaugh if not for last year. Penn State, Michigan, A&M, LSU and Oregon shouldn't be pleased with that.

There is no defense for a Penn State Football Head Coach to be 4-13 (soon to be 4-14, if history is our guide) vs UM and OSU. None. You are representing an overwhelmingly guilty defendant. You should have sought a plea agreement. No way you‘ll ever prevail at trial. 4-13. That’s the only case the prosecution need make. 4-13. Pathetic, and GUILTY!
Tell me what other Penn State football head coach’s tenure that began after a child abuse scandal that nearly resulted in the death penalty for the program while reducing the number of scholarships for period of time and then when everything was clicking nicely in 2016-2019 was hit by a worldwide pandemic. I’m sick of all the bullshit about Franklin.

Tell me what other Penn State football head coach’s tenure that began after a child abuse scandal that nearly resulted in the death penalty for the program while reducing the number of scholarships for period of time and then when everything was clicking nicely in 2016-2019 was hit by a worldwide pandemic. I’m sick of all the bullshit about Franklin.
Do you want a list of coaches that got through the pandemic just fine?
This is year 9--there's no more excuses

I will ask the question I have asked before.

If you fire Franklin, who are you going to hire who is going to DEFINITELY be more successful?

Comparing him to Chambers is ridiculous. I like Pat, but he never won a conference championship (or even came close), nor did he recruit at a level similar to CJF.
I follow your thought process but asking the DEFINITELY question is a bar no hire can reach. Not even for a team that sucks. You can hope they are better.
Every single coach is hired with that hope and expectation, including Paterno with his very first HC gig.

Some will succeed. Some will not. CJF WAS an excellent hire. If he could do at PSU what he did at Vanderbilt but better because of vastly better players…then we win. The result? He has actually only basically done the same at PSU as Vanderbilt but with better players. After nine years, He doesn’t really beat top teams, just like at Vanderbilt.

If you are happy with that and whatever other parameters you use, then you are good to go.

If you want something better, you scan the horizon and see what might exist. Maybe another Huepel? Sonny Dykes? Even Leipold with his recent losses due to lack of players…his teams are physical. Or maybe you end up with something worse. Either way, the person wanting something more is willing to take the risk. They don’t really have to answer the question of who.

What you can’t do is reward poor seasons and a bad record against the top teams with an absurd 10 year contract that without Solomon himself you cannot extract if you even wanted to. That contract created a lightning rod for criticism and CJF holding all the cards. Barbour and Barron made that deal while leaving PSU. Easy deal to make if you don’t have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 84Lion and SR108
3-6 vs UM, 1-7 vs OSU. 1 conference title in 8 (soon to be 9) seasons. Your witness, counselor…
The First 5 years post 2011 were severely restricted. Played with big handicap. Then slowly transitioned to normal/near normal . He accomplished a remarkable feat with his hands tied behind his back. —-Recruiting is starting to consistently explode.
—-Perspective, counselor.

Last edited:

I agree with you for the most part, I am however not a big fan of Manny Diaz or his hyper aggressive defenses. Too often in critical situations they have been gashed for big plays. PSU has a talent advantage over 11 of the 14 BIG teams and has basically an equal level of talent with one of the remaining 2. I actually prefer a team which relies more on a base defense and adjusts to the other team and uses blitzes as surprise instead of a staple. Despite trying to heat the other team up 70-80% of the time, we have 15 sacks in 7 games.

Too often when I watch our defense, it almost looks like our plethora of rushers are tangled up with each other. It sort of looks like the mob trying to get through a turnstile at the same time after shots have been fired.

I would hypothesize that we would get more turnovers and sacks relying more on a standard 4 man rush. More people in pass coverage results in more coverage sacks and more turnovers simply because there will be more people moving towards where the ball is going.

Why? Because other schools failures have no bearing on this case and this charge: Franklin is an underperforming Head Coach. That’s the charge, and he is manifestly GUILTY. Other coaches being failures or underperforming is not relevant to this case, and this charge. That’s why. Your client has a lousy lawyer…
St Joe had a losing record vs osu. Did he underperform? Did you make excuses or call for him to be fired?

Osu is better now than when Joe coached. They took it to the next level in 2012. #thanksjoe

Florida schools have competition all over the state and region for recruits. Something Franklin doesn’t have but still loses the top prospects in the region. Franklin also plays 8 to 10 weak teams a year. He consistently loses to anyone with a pulse, until he wins against some of the top competition he will always be criticized. And deservedly so.

St Joe had a losing record vs osu. Did he underperform? Did you make excuses or call for him to be fired?

Osu is better now than when Joe coached. They took it to the next level in 2012. #thanksjoe
Yes and yes. Perhaps their better because everyone else got worse. Now all the big name recruits go to one school instead of a few going to PSU and UM.

I'm always amused at this stat because most of the Big 10 is 0-whatever against OSU over the same time frame. OSU has lost once to PSU, once to Purdue, once to UM and twice to MSU over the last 7-8 years, that's it. So while 1 win against OSU isn't good, it's better than the majority of teams and coaches in the conference have managed.
So now we compare ourselves against the trash in the Conference. No wonder your expectations are so low.

Can someone tell me all Big 10 teams who have a better record than 4-13 against Michigan and Ohio State the past 8 seasons ?

Expanding on this point… not all schools and conferences reacted to Covid the same.

From 2016-2019, Franklin won 42 games. If he returns to averaging 10.5 wins per year and that isn’t good enough for some, then the problem isn’t Franklin.

63-14 was fun though.

Reactions: 84Lion
Jimbo Fisher
Scott Frost
Brian Harsin
Steve Sarkisian

The defense rests.
I get being disappointed with the record vs Ohio State and Michigan. But, I’m in a different place. I would take 10-2 EVERY YEAR! and every once in a while winning a Big Ten title. We have a different model than Alabama, Ohio State etc. We have 31 sports not 15. We push for a 90% graduation rate. You get the idea. That being said, we should NEVER lose to IU or NW or any school where we have better talent. Period.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Do you want a list of coaches that got through the pandemic just fine?
This is year 9--there's no more excuses
Franklin is performing at least as well as Joe despite all dealing with sanctions and a pandemic. Our program has not been elite since 1994. That’s the unfortunate reality. I’m happy where we are today.

Ohio State has played Purdue a grand total of 3 times in the last nine years. That makes Purdue is 1-2 in that time frame. In the last 8 games, Purdue is 3-5 vs Ohio St. In the last 8 games Penn State is 1-7. We’ll see the 9th game result Saturday.

True Michigan is 1-7 in the last 8 years against Ohio St. but during that time everyone here laughed at that and said what a horrible coach Harbaugh was. We switch to Franklin’s 1-7 and now, suddenly, that doesn’t really count.

Last edited:
Reactions: 84Lion and MacNit07
Expanding on this point… not all schools and conferences reacted to Covid the same.

From 2016-2019, Franklin won 42 games. If he returns to averaging 10.5 wins per year and that isn’t good enough for some, then the problem isn’t Franklin.
How many ranked team wins?THREE One in the top 15. Lol. Numbers don’t tell the story.

Franklin is performing at least as well as Joe despite all dealing with sanctions and a pandemic. Our program has not been elite since 1994. That’s the unfortunate reality. I’m happy where we are today.
Why are we talking about Paterno? Paterno stayed too long which was part of the reason we aren't elite today. The goal is to be better not maintain mediocrity.

Because they can’t defend Franklin with substance so they defect.
I don't understand why anyone would think talking about Paterno would make people feel better about Franklin. Paterno at least contended for titles before he became mediocre.

Reactions: manilion
If Penn State suffered during the pandemic, other teams must have prospered? Why did Franklin underachieve?

Well for starters, he could not even coach at a per-wee level in Bloomington in 2020.

And it goes on from there.

Enough with the excuses.

I follow your thought process but asking the DEFINITELY question is a bar no hire can reach. Not even for a team that sucks. You can hope they are better.
Every single coach is hired with that hope and expectation, including Paterno with his very first HC gig.

Some will succeed. Some will not. CJF WAS an excellent hire. If he could do at PSU what he did at Vanderbilt but better because of vastly better players…then we win. The result? He has actually only basically done the same at PSU as Vanderbilt but with better players. After nine years, He doesn’t really beat top teams, just like at Vanderbilt.

If you are happy with that and whatever other parameters you use, then you are good to go.

If you want something better, you scan the horizon and see what might exist. Maybe another Huepel? Sonny Dykes? Even Leipold with his recent losses due to lack of players…his teams are physical. Or maybe you end up with something worse. Either way, the person wanting something more is willing to take the risk. They don’t really have to answer the question of who.

What you can’t do is reward poor seasons and a bad record against the top teams with an absurd 10 year contract that without Solomon himself you cannot extract if you even wanted to. That contract created a lightning rod for criticism and CJF holding all the cards. Barbour and Barron made that deal while leaving PSU. Easy deal to make if you don’t have to deal with it.
This.

Reactions: psu00
To each their own, but PSU under JF has not been competitive with the B1G 2 (and #2 hasn't been competitive with #1.) If being a distant 3rd is okay b/c of "stability" than you're effectively saying you'd be okay being Northwestern. Pat Fitzgerald brings a lot of stability.

This is JF's moment to shock the world and hush the haters. It happens every week where theres an unexpected upset, so why not us (like we say every year). I'm very disappointed in his record against Top 5 teams and lets not even discuss how poor it is after a bye.

If he's going to be here a while, he needs to improve the focus on better and stronger lines, better schemes, less predictive playcalling, and to stop being a doormat for seemingly every ranked team. The path to the playoffs is not going to be any easier with the addition of USC and UCLA in the same conference, even with playoff expansion. Its time to do a little less "loving the players up" and focus on more smashmouth football. Its not that these guys arent tough, its that they dont seem to be able to execute the upset of the better on paper teams.

Reactions: 84Lion
There is no defense for a Penn State Football Head Coach to be 4-13 (soon to be 4-14, if history is our guide) vs UM and OSU. None. You are representing an overwhelmingly guilty defendant. You should have sought a plea agreement. No way you‘ll ever prevail at trial. 4-13. That’s the only case the prosecution need make. 4-13. Pathetic, and GUILTY!
Paterno got the shit kicked out of him by Lloyd Carr and Michigan for years. Franklin doesn’t have the market cornered on struggling against them and tOSU. Plus Franklin didn’t have the luxury of going against Whining John Cooper. We are who we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4psu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT