ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 2/16/18

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
a question that includes the claim that PSU doesn't have decent backups, a question and answer about whether Mizzou would beat PSU in a dual, a question that references the PSU - Ohio State dual, a question about the NCAA RPI that includes Cenzo, a question and answer about Nolf & CS

For those keeping track, this is week 72, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Mike C. with 2 questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

From the Mailbag...

Q: NCAA RPI and Coaches rankings were released (Friday Feb. 9) and there were a lot of big names missing on the RPI list (no Vincenzo Joseph, Isaiah Martinez, Alex Marinelli, Logan Massa or Richie Lewis at 165 in the RPI). I understand that in order to be on the RPI list you must have wrestled 17 matches, but if a wrestler does not get 17 matches by the Feb. 22 list (that is the basis for allocations) does the conference/weight class miss out on an automatic qualification spot for the NCAA Championships? Example: Kyle Snyder will not reach 17 matches by Feb. 22. Will the Big Ten lose out on an allocation for heavyweight? I am sure this does not happen often, but with what seems to be a trend of guys getting less matches in a season due to international competition, unforeseen injuries and resting matches during conference duals, will it play a factor in where allocations go?
-- Hylnder133

Foley: The automatic bid will be missing, though in the case of Big Ten wrestlers you might assume -- with some rationale -- the spot is being absorbed by another Big Ten wrestler otherwise nestled between 34-40 in the RPI.

I don't think an adjustment should be made for the international competitors, or those missing out due to injury or sitting out. The system isn't asking too much with 17 matches and those who do miss the auto-qualification should find it very easy to qualify in the allotment of their conference.

Certainly, a risk should they get injured in the tournament, but of no greater significance than the risk being taken by the wrestler who competed 17-plus times in a season.

************************************************************************************
My comments: Am I missing something with T.R.'s response? Look at the underlined question and his response. There's very few cases, and none that I can remember, where RPI made a difference in allocations for any of the top-20 or top-25 guys. Wrestling fewer than 8 matches would, as that doesn't allow a wrestler to get to Silver Standard. In Snyder's case, he's wrestled 8, so he's in easily, no lost allocation.

From the Mailbag...

Q: NCAA RPI and Coaches rankings were released (Friday Feb. 9) and there were a lot of big names missing on the RPI list (no Vincenzo Joseph, Isaiah Martinez, Alex Marinelli, Logan Massa or Richie Lewis at 165 in the RPI). I understand that in order to be on the RPI list you must have wrestled 17 matches, but if a wrestler does not get 17 matches by the Feb. 22 list (that is the basis for allocations) does the conference/weight class miss out on an automatic qualification spot for the NCAA Championships? Example: Kyle Snyder will not reach 17 matches by Feb. 22. Will the Big Ten lose out on an allocation for heavyweight? I am sure this does not happen often, but with what seems to be a trend of guys getting less matches in a season due to international competition, unforeseen injuries and resting matches during conference duals, will it play a factor in where allocations go?
-- Hylnder133

Foley: The automatic bid will be missing, though in the case of Big Ten wrestlers you might assume -- with some rationale -- the spot is being absorbed by another Big Ten wrestler otherwise nestled between 34-40 in the RPI.

I don't think an adjustment should be made for the international competitors, or those missing out due to injury or sitting out. The system isn't asking too much with 17 matches and those who do miss the auto-qualification should find it very easy to qualify in the allotment of their conference.

Certainly, a risk should they get injured in the tournament, but of no greater significance than the risk being taken by the wrestler who competed 17-plus times in a season.

************************************************************************************
My comments: Am I missing something with T.R.'s response? Look at the underlined question and his response. There's very few cases, and none that I can remember, where RPI made a difference in allocations for any of the top-20 or top-25 guys. Wrestling fewer than 8 matches would, as that doesn't allow a wrestler to get to Silver Standard. In Snyder's case, he's wrestled 8, so he's in easily, no lost allocation.
On a scale of Is Roar Missing Something or Is Foley Missing Something, I'm going to fall in the Roar Sleeps With the NCAA Rulebook Tucked Under His Pillow category.

I think the problem with having many fewer matches for the RPI is that can get skewed if there isn't enough data (look at the early season computer rankings, for example). But also - I think the system is purposely designed to make it more difficult to qualify if one misses a substantial part of the season. Foley's point, as I read it, is that the B1G is so deep that if a top guy doesn't make a qualifying RPI, someone else at the back of the pack will. Probably some truth to that.

And to answer the example given in the Mailbag - remember, you only need two criteria to qualify. In the case of Kyle Snyder, he qualifies a slot based on ranking and winning %, doesn't even need the RPI. B1G definately earns a spot through him.

Last edited:
As usual, Roar, you are spot on. Foley is off-base here and also makes another mistake talking about the spot being absorbed by other wrestlers ranked 34-40. Though the CR and RPI go out to 33 spots (and I'm sure you know this, but detailing for others), the allocation cut-offs for the CR and RPI start at 30 and can get more restrictive than that. If you're at 34-40 and one or two guys don't make the RPI, it won't be enough.

I took 133 last year, as an example.

The following wrestlers, prior to conference tournaments, top-30 only, WERE NOT IN THE RPI, BUT WERE IN THE COACHES RANKING;

#1. Nathan Tomasello 100%
#5. Corey Clark 80%+
#8. Dom Forys 80%+
#9. Scotty Parker 80%+
#18 Connor Schram 80%+

The number after the names was their Win % prior to their conference tourneys, so all were Silver Standard, and earned an allocation spot for the conference. Don't have time to look at every weight class, though I'm fairly confident this is the rule, not the exception. TOP GUYS easily earn allocation slots without the benefit of an RPI, as long as they wrestle 8 bouts at their championship weight class.

I agree with OkieSpladle...the bubble guys may be impacted, though they're already affected and may not earn a slot.

Im surprised you guys missed the bomb at the bottom.....Pretty sic burn by TR and Intermat

SIDENOTE OF THE WEEK

It was reported this week that Martin Floreani has been asked to step aside from his role as CEO of FloSports. While no details were made public, it'll be interesting to see what, if any, impact the move will have on FloWrestling

Im surprised you guys missed the bomb at the bottom.....Pretty sic burn by TR and Intermat

SIDENOTE OF THE WEEK

It was reported this week that Martin Floreani has been asked to step aside from his role as CEO of FloSports. While no details were made public, it'll be interesting to see what, if any, impact the move will have on FloWrestling
tikk already posted...separate thread.

This response to the question about Nolf's availability for the upcoming tournaments was interesting:

vietvet (1) 3 hours ago
Nolf is already practicing "live" so no worries he'll be just fine.

Don't recognize the screen name so have no idea whether this is just an optimistic fan who's read that Jason is "shadow wrestling" or if it is someone who knows something beyond what is disclosed publicly.

This response to the question about Nolf's availability for the upcoming tournaments was interesting:

vietvet (1) 3 hours ago
Nolf is already practicing "live" so no worries he'll be just fine.

Don't recognize the screen name so have no idea whether this is just an optimistic fan who's read that Jason is "shadow wrestling" or if it is someone who knows something beyond what is disclosed publicly.
Dr. Foley diagnosed Jason on the basis of being on crutches 5 weeks before nationals, so why not?

Someone should point out to Foley that Robles walked on crutches immediately before every match of his career.

Or, more seriously, that Burroughs won a world title one month after breaking his ankle. Gonna guess that the champ might have been on crutches at some point in that month.

Every case is unique, and not an indicator of any other case. Here's hoping Jason can go. Penn Staters aren't the only ones that will miss out on his genius.

Mike C. Blah Blah Blah
Foley; Check one ( ) Yes ( ) Singlets hurt the sport. ( ) Freestyle is great ( ) Folkstyle sucks

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT