ADVERTISEMENT

Flo and Penn State

It seems like every fan base (or at least a segment of every fan base) thinks every media outlet is biased against them.

And for every Penn State fan that think FLO (or whoever) is biased against them, there's probably 10 fans of opposing teams that think FLO (or whoever) is overly positive about them.

EDIT: I went back and checked. There were only two post-match interviews ... RBY and Cenzo. So they didn't stop after the first Penn State win. Actually, they didn't begin until the first Penn State win, and they didn't include Rutgers wrestlers at all.
Good practice for after the national finals for RBY and a refresher for Cenzo. Which would not benefit any of the Rutgers wrestlers.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
I do not feel that there is a bias against PSU at Flo. In fact, they often make highly complimentary statements about the Penn State program and PSU wrestlers. The problem this year is Spey's strange ranking philosophy. Also, because they have more access to other programs, they obtain many more videos featuring wrestlers from other programs.

That point total is Iowa's ceiling, pretty much nowhere to go but down. No doubt with that huge margin right now, it will be real difficult for PSU to catch Iowa at this time. What PSU needs going forward:

1. Continue improvement from Brooks and Snacks
2. Continue improvement from Shak (he looked much improved over the previous weekend).
3. Berge back at 100%
Actually there are quite a few spots they could move up.
133 & 165 Are #2 and have both beat the 1 guy ahead of them
184 they have ranked 9th and just beat #6
197 is hit or miss but he is #4 and has beat #3 and could easily see him beating #2.
HWT is #3 and has piss pounded the #2 guy ahead of him.

Like Flo's rankings, these are not predictions. Unlike Flo's rankings, every one of these results is within the realm of possibility.

125 Lee wins, Meredith DNP
133 DeSanto beats RBY in the 3/4 match
141 Lee wins, Murin loses in R12
149 Verk DNP, Lugo is upset in the semis, loses his focus on the backside and finishes 6th
157 Bo P DNP, Young finishes 6th
165 Cenzo wins, Bull is upset in the semis but wrestles back for 3rd
174 Hall wins, Kutler beats Kem in the semis. Kem finishes 3rd
184 Brooks loses to Zahid in the finals, Assad finishes R12
197 Shak finishes 5th, Warner finishes 8th
285 Big Snacks loses to Cassioppi in the 5/6 match

That's 82-66 PSU in placement points.

Very similar to an exercise I ran yesterday. However, it can be difficult
to predict a near-perfect tourney for one top team and the wheels coming off for another both happening. But it
it isn't impossible (2011 anyone?).

I have a FLO account.
I recognize a lot of what they do is clickbait and clickthroughs.

While I have always been a wrestling fan, it wasn't until flow that I had the access to a variety/volume of college wrestling that I have had for the last decade. Because of this access, in addition to college wrestling, I've grown to love freestyle/women's wrestling. The access to matches makes it worth it to me and is unparalleled at this time.

I'm not a fan of when FLO highlights poor sportsmanship, or in my opinion, tries to make college wrestling more like MMA/PRO wrestling... I don't always like the personalities (I wasn't a fan of Willie's shtick, but appreciated his knowledge if that makes sense) I recognize they have to play characters to some extent... Ultimately, the juice is still worth the squeeze for me...

My observation is that every fan base believes there is a bias from FLO against their team.

Every fan base thinks FLO sucks from time to time too. From a streaming standpoint, there were fair criticisms in the past- that said they have only gotten better and better...

IMHO
respect
fm

Good to see you posting.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Flo is a business like any other subscriber based company. Blair just wrestled SEM and not a word. They don’t cover wrestling, they cover what they can sell and that’s fine. They don’t promote wrestling 1st, they promote FLO, and that’s fine too, cuz it’s a business that promotes and covers a lot of events. They pay a good bit to stream their events, it makes sense to only promote what makes them money. Our coach isn’t going to tip his hand just to get coverage. It will never happen and I’m glad for that. Flo is just a service. One of many.

Ive posted on this before so its not like its some big secret. But yeah there is some professional animosity between members of flo and psu that dates back. I DO NOT think its personal, but professional. Flo is a wrestling news org and wants access to break stories and news. Cael wants things out on his terms. So the two pull in different directions. Again I dont think its personal but simply a professional love vs hate thing.

My opinion the suriano thing drove the wedge bigger and the teasdale/scuffle thing probably froze it out.

I could be wrong but the only access flo has is through the kids on the team, but I think they even take great care of what they say/share. Im sure they get 2nd hand info too since the kids know kids on other teams that they talk to who then share with the wrestling media at large.

its the way of the world.

And their “bombshell” RTC tax forms write-up preceded both. :D I do agree it’s more of a professional thing though. Flo would jump at the opportunity to showcase PSU like they have Iowa several times (Remember when “Terry” was their splash page for an entire season? Brutal). Unfortunately, that isn’t likely to happen under Cael’s watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Flo is a business like any other subscriber based company. Blair just wrestled SEM and not a word. They don’t cover wrestling, they cover what they can sell and that’s fine. They don’t promote wrestling 1st, they promote FLO, and that’s fine too, cuz it’s a business that promotes and covers a lot of events. They pay a good bit to stream their events, it makes sense to only promote what makes them money. Our coach isn’t going to tip his hand just to get coverage. It will never happen and I’m glad for that. Flo is just a service. One of many.
You remain the man!

Reactions: Sullivan
Exactly Flo only promotes what will generate revenue. Which is why Flo made no mention of the PA SEM, NJ Blair match as PA Power was on site for interviews and live viewing. Very difficult to put a spin on a group of high school aged wrestlers where most of the kids will continue off to college.

that is true about Flo.... but I do wish they would cover all wrestling - be a goto hub! Appreciate your post John - sure does beat a lot of the petty stuff that gets posted (at times)!

Exactly Flo only promotes what will generate revenue. Which is why Flo made no mention of the PA SEM, NJ Blair match as PA Power was on site for interviews and live viewing. Very difficult to put a spin on a group of high school aged wrestlers where most of the kids will continue off to college.
More specifically, PA Power live streamed the dual on Rokfin. Nobody promotes a competitor.

Reactions: PABulldogs
More specifically, PA Power live streamed the dual on Rokfin. Nobody promotes a competitor.
agreed and not only did the people of Blair Academy choose to allow PA power to handle the live stream and pre and post interview relays a lot about the reputation and trust PA Power carries in the wrestling world.

Reactions: El-Jefe
If anyone listened to the last FLO Radio Show, they reviewed their picks for NCAA Finals match-ups and winners. There was clear consensus on Cenzo and Hall winning, and CP was adamant about sticking with Lee as his pick at 141. They also pretty much discounted Lugo's chances. So the same thread must have been started on HR mfing FLO.

If anyone listened to the last FLO Radio Show, they reviewed their picks for NCAA Finals match-ups and winners. There was clear consensus on Cenzo and Hall winning, and CP was adamant about sticking with Lee as his pick at 141. They also pretty much discounted Lugo's chances. So the same thread must have been started on HR mfing FLO.
The amount of times we get to hear about Moran’s fluky win over Lee is about to surpass the mentions of Andy McCulley over Nickal

This is true, HR’s thread is already longer than ours. To be fair they look the same, some calling out Flo, others giving a bit more grace.

I'm really curious to see how Cenzo wrestles Marinelli this time around. It will be extremely difficult especially in CHA. I think Marinelli has a HUGE chip on his shoulder against Cenzo and I get why. Most people seem to pick Cenzo whenever they wrestle and the trend seems to continue now with Cenzo being #1 the whole year. I except Bull to come out aggressive like last year's B1G finals, intense hand fighting and a TON of shots.

He made a point to say after the B1G finals last year that "This match was won on my attacks, not his" He was clearly tired of hearing how he only won the dual because Cenzo chucked himself to his back. Strategy wise, I think the obvious consensus is avoid upper body with him. Whether Cenzo forces it unnecessarily or Bull hits it perfectly, just do not get in that position with him, that's almost always 2+4 for Bull. Hand fighting and ankle picks. I'd be shocked if Bull can ride Cenzo also.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT